Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

Hey all!

Some great conversations here lately!

I weigh myself at home on a Friday morning and I was only down 0.5lb this week - but I'm not disappointed as I know the exercise will kick in next week and my TOTM is due so I'm happy enough.

:)

Happy weekend everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭JudyD

Hi All,

Just found this thread and there seems to be loads of recipes, ideas and most importantly support so hope to be dropping in here regularly!

I've always been overweight but had a baby last april and I realised that not only did I have to lose the baby weight but a lot more besides. I want to be able to keep up with the little man when he starts running around. I want to be healthier, fitter and slimmer. I guess I'm just now realising what a mountain I have to climb though. I rejoined ww last nov and have lost 1 stone so back to pre-baby weight if not pre-baby tummy(!). Obviously I'm happy with that but unfortunately there's still 4 more to go to goal. Kind of feels like I'll never get there.

If anyone has any tips for staying motivated I would really appreciate it.
    I've been very good with my shopping, with recipes, with tracking. Exercise I find a little tougher to get motivated but I'm making myself do something at least twice a week even if its only a 15min brisk walk. It's just mentally convincing myself that I can do this is a lot more difficult!

Cheers for any and all help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

how long is a piece of string! how many points it contains would depend on what chocolate was used, what biscuits, if there's dried fruit in it, and the ratios of the ingredients.

if it's shop bought what brand is it? or if it was home made did the recipe give a nutritional breakdown? was the recipe followed to the letter and sliced into the correct amount of slices? there's a lot of variables there!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

So today started off terribly. Found out my group of friends were all having a good gossip about me during the week and discussing my personality flaws. One of the girls thought it was helpful to share this information with me so I could improve myself, instead it made me feel awful. Not only have I to lose a lot of weight, supposedly I have to change my personality as well! I thought some of their criticisms were unfair, and now I feel as if I am constantly being watched in my own house (some of us live together).

So I felt miserable all morning, feeling really sorry for myself. Old me would have headed straight to the biscuit tin or cake box, but new improved me, decided to channel my anger into something productive so I went cooking. First off I made a healthy Irish Stew, that will be my dinner for 2 days, as well as Red Pepper soup. And then I also made the Apple Crumble that was suggested here a few days ago. So at least I am heading into the weekend prepared and hopefully will do little damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

So today started off terribly. Found out my group of friends were all having a good gossip about me during the week and discussing my personality flaws. One of the girls thought it was helpful to share this information with me so I could improve myself, instead it made me feel awful. Not only have I to lose a lot of weight, supposedly I have to change my personality as well! I thought some of their criticisms were unfair, and now I feel as if I am constantly being watched in my own house (some of us live together).

So I felt miserable all morning, feeling really sorry for myself. Old me would have headed straight to the biscuit tin or cake box, but new improved me, decided to channel my anger into something productive so I went cooking. First off I made a healthy Irish Stew, that will be my dinner for 2 days, as well as Red Pepper soup. And then I also made the Apple Crumble that was suggested here a few days ago. So at least I am heading into the weekend prepared and hopefully will do little damage!

Aw that is not nice at all :( I feel pretty angry on behalf of you! :mad:
    I would really be questioning what sort of 'friends' these people are, that is not a nice thing to put on anyone at all!! Don't let them make you feel uncomfortable in your own home, just go about being yourself as you always would! I'm sure you are a lovely person and people who think it 'helpful' to point out the flaws in other people really need to take a look at themselves.

Though well done for not reaching for the biscuit tin - which I have to say I totally would have myself! Love a good stew especially with weather like this. So if you have recipe for it you could post that would be great :) Keep up the good work, preparation is the key to success!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭BaileyPants

Awh, that's is disgusting! What a pack of witches! They are obviously quite sly and conniving too, as they have to have known this would hurt your feelings. Absolutely disregard anything that was said to you! you are you for a reason, why would you change to be more like them?! Absolutely not. I have to say, that has outraged me, as I used to always be the quieter, softer personality in my group as a teenager, only only realised years later what I used to take off them. If I met them now I tell you, they wouldn't recognise me, coz I certainly wouldn't stand for that now.

You just stay who you are, and don't mind anything anyone has the cheek to say to you about yourself. The pure cheek! x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

OH DEAR GOD I just did my Davina DVD for the 1st time in months and I'm dying. On the plus side I did it all :) I also took a sneaky peek at the scales and I've lost 1 of the 2lbs I gained this week.

West Wing that's awful. What did they expect would happen when they told you that. It sounds like they're the ones that need a personality change. I knew a girl like that in school. Don't listen to them. Always be who you want to be and never let anyone put you down. Well done on how you dealt with it. I definitely would have reached for the jaffa cakes and celebrations :o

Does anyone know how many points is in the lindt eggs? They're the small ones that are on the counter in shops like the creme eggs. I want a little treat and I used to love them.

Aw that is not nice at all :( I feel pretty angry on behalf of you! :mad:
    I would really be questioning what sort of 'friends' these people are, that is not a nice thing to put on anyone at all!! Don't let them make you feel uncomfortable in your own home, just go about being yourself as you always would! I'm sure you are a lovely person and people who think it 'helpful' to point out the flaws in other people really need to take a look at themselves.

Though well done for not reaching for the biscuit tin - which I have to say I totally would have myself! Love a good stew especially with weather like this. So if you have recipe for it you could post that would be great :) Keep up the good work, preparation is the key to success!!

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words. I'm feeling slightly better now. I talked to one of my housemates that's not in the group and he said that they were crazy and to not mind them. So that made me feel better. Anyways, this is the receipe for the stew. I'm using the Filling and Healthy plan so I don't pp. The only thing I have to point is the stock cubes. Also I don't use a slow cooker but just a regular pot on the stove. This recipe originally came from Unislim I think.

Irish Stew –
    Ingredients
    Extra lean minced beef, lean meat, or quorn mince
    3 baby boiled potatoes per portion
    3 large leeks, white part only, halved, washed (see Tip) and thinly sliced
    3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
    3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
    2 chicken stock gels
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/4 cup packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
    Preparation
    1. Combine meat, potatoes, leeks, carrots, celery, chicken stock gels, thyme, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Put the lid on and cook on low until the meat is fork-tender, about 8 hours. Stir in parsley before serving. Tips & Notes
    Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. | Equipment: 6-quart slow cooker

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

West wing I can't believe these 'friends' could be so nasty like the Other lovely ladies I'm angry on your behalf! Don't let them get to you. I reckon they could be Jealous you are doing WW & getting into new healthy eating habits & you've done amazingly well so far & they don't like it. It makes others sometimes examine their own habits & sometimes they dont like what they see in themselves so they twist into something else & turn it abck on you.

I had an experience with some girls in our group last year about 2 months after I started WW I got really upset but I soon realised what the issue was. They didn't like the fact I was losing weight or the fact that I wanted this & that it wasn't a quick fix for a bridesmaid dress or a whatever but actually a new way of being me full stop. It made one of the girls really insecure & she did everything in her power to make me eat crap or feel crap about myself when we were all away for the weekend. I didn't let her break my resolve & needless to say I don't see or talk to her much anymore. Some people are toxic & we don't need ppl like that in our lives

Don't change who you are for anybody & don't let the comments on your personality get to you. You're fab just as you are! I'm glad you have one decent housemate at least! Well done on all the cooking & for turning a negative into a positive! Keep the faith! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Boop22

Hey, quick question. Could anyone tell me the pp in fillet steak. In the pocket guide it says 4 pp for medium portion raw. Would the points b different when its cooked???

• Advertisement

Boop22 wrote: »
    Hey, quick question. Could anyone tell me the pp in fillet steak. In the pocket guide it says 4 pp for medium portion raw. Would the points b different when its cooked???
    I would assume that they meant that when you cook meat it somewhat shrinks, so that starting out you should have a medium size steak, not medium size after cooking. But I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hey could anyone tell me how many pp a day a male who is 14stone 5 pounds and 5 ft 5 ?
    I have my calculator but can't for the life of me work it out how to work out how many points a person should be on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭MaggieMay2

Eabhabear wrote: »

Does anyone know how many points is in the lindt eggs? They're the small ones that are on the counter in shops like the creme eggs. I want a little treat and I used to love them.

5pp per egg....... hmmm I dunno if i'd spend it :rolleyes: Loved Malteesers Bunnies till I worked out they were 5 :eek: I figured for 1pp more I could have a Dairy Milk Caramello, that's my Sunday evening treat that I take out of my weeklies and gets me through the WW week :)

But if it's a craving then do it and enjoy.

M'lady I can do it for you but I need his age as well :)

Boop22 wrote: »

Its 4pp for 105g raw - the points dont change when its cooked but the weight will - so you have to weigh it raw.

Kay_80 wrote: »
    M'lady I can do it for you but I need his age as well :)

Oh Kay! My OH has wanted to know his for ages! Would you mind if I asked you to calculate his? He's 35, 6' 5 and is 18 stone ;-)

Of course I don't mind Baileypants :)

He's on 54pp per day + his 49pp per week obviously that will go down as he loses weight. If he intends following the plan just pm me if you want me to recheck his daily pp allow as he loses if you don't want to post in here :)

Of course I don't mind Baileypants :)

He's on 54pp per day + his 49pp per week obviously that will go down as he loses weight. If he intends following the plan just pm me if you want me to recheck his daily pp allow as he loses if you don't want to post in here :)

Thanks Kay! We'll see how he goes :-)

Made a really yummy chicken and noodle dish for dinner tonight from one of the WW cookbooks - was so delicious and so easy! Posted the recipe on the blog :-)

http://59lbstogo.blogspot.com/2012/02/oriental-chicken-and-noodles.html

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ali85

just having a nosey before bed folks....

@westwing... let them off and take no heed of them... some people are just negative... probably just jealous that you are bettering yourself and doing so well in WW. i cant believe the audacity of some people... you did the right thing. i know the feeling of wanting to dive head first into the goodies tin and really they would just be getting what they wanted then.... chin up hun... remember you are bettering yourself and if they don't like it...they can lump it!!!!

As for the general topic this week of TOTM.... we must be getting like nuns in a convent on this... mine made its arrival today... but instead of gorging.... i have very little appetite... i know! shocking!!! Had breakfast lunch and still had 18pp left for the day for dinner and tea etc.... came home and made my little one and my oh dinner and made myself chicken fajitas...my usual favourite and added some rice and cheese to bulk up the points, but i ended up eating the one fajita and probably a spoonful of rice. ended up pointing that at 8pp at the most... so i had a curly wurly and a mini magnum that to be honest i didnt even want...

so that still leaves me with 4pp for the day.... i had 5 left yesterday as well..... this can't be good can it???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

MaggieMay2 wrote: »
    5pp per egg....... hmmm I dunno if i'd spend it :rolleyes: Loved Malteesers Bunnies till I worked out they were 5 :eek: I figured for 1pp more I could have a Dairy Milk Caramello, that's my Sunday evening treat that I take out of my weeklies and gets me through the WW week :)

But if it's a craving then do it and enjoy.

Thanks. They didn't have it when I did my shopping so I had a little milky way bar instead :) I'm in a real munchies mood and I have picked but if it was last week I probably would have done a lot more damage.
    ali85 wrote: »
    so that still leaves me with 4pp for the day.... i had 5 left yesterday as well..... this can't be good can it???

No that's not good especially if you do a lot of exercise. You may get away with it once but 9 points is not good. You're under eating. Do you plan out your meals in advance? Maybe try that and you can make full use of your points. Add in extra protein or pointed veg to bulk up the points.

Haha loved your nun comment :D Apparently if you spend a lot of time with someone your TOTM end up being in sync. Me and my best friend have ours at the same time always.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Moldol

artyeva wrote: »
    how long is a piece of string! how many points it contains would depend on what chocolate was used, what biscuits, if there's dried fruit in it, and the ratios of the ingredients.

if it's shop bought what brand is it? or if it was home made did the recipe give a nutritional breakdown? was the recipe followed to the letter and sliced into the correct amount of slices? there's a lot of variables there!
    I didn't make it got a present if it do don't know think il leave it to my hubby I only have 12 lbs to target do dnt want wreck it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kyetreeohna

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any tips for healthy options in an Indian restaurant? Going to use my weeklies but want to have a few drinks too. Thanks :-)

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any tips for healthy options in an Indian restaurant? Going to use my weeklies but want to have a few drinks too. Thanks :-)

The dry sauceless things are the best options, or if you like sauce the tomato based over the creamy ones. Vegetarian dishes or prawn dishes would be lower than the red meat or even chicken dishes too. Here are a examples of good options taken from the eating out guide:

Chicken Tikka (8 pieces) - 14 pp
    tandoori chicken (half) - 15 pp
    Chicken Jalfrezi - 24 pp (prawn jalfrezi is 16)
    Tikka Masala - 23 pp
    Chicken Vindaloo - 23 (prawn vindaloo is 15 so prawn dishes are a good bit lower)
    Chicken Korma - 24
    Biryani - Chicken 37, Prawn 29, Lamb 40

Plain Naan - 12pp
    Plain Boiled Rice - 12pp

If you are looking for anything in particular I can check the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ali85

Eabhabear wrote: »

No that's not good especially if you do a lot of exercise. You may get away with it once but 9 points is not good. You're under eating. Do you plan out your meals in advance? Maybe try that and you can make full use of your points. Add in extra protein or pointed veg to bulk up the points.

Haha loved your nun comment :D Apparently if you spend a lot of time with someone your TOTM end up being in sync. Me and my best friend have ours at the same time always.

I really am tryin to bulk up.... its not like me at all...because even though I am planning...(im such a food freak... cooking and eating :P ) and even cooking the meals in advance... just finding my appetite isnt there.. going to knuckle down tomorrow... i will be honest, i havent done any exercise at all since WI. I am heading for a walk tomorrow, i have decided!! :D But i also hit aldi for my shoppin this evening so i have all my favourites for breakfast tomorrow... bacon medallions, flat mushrooms, potato farls... nice fresh eggs.

Even got the stuff to bake with the little one tomorrow, although as my mam said tonight, she is almost the same height as me now... haha! she's only 10!!! haha!

Updated my blog tonight its mostly ramblings but i suppose its good to vent every now and again.... :Dhttp://alibx.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

just wanna say to those of you keeping blogs, they are brilliant love reading em :)

Hey guys! Me too! I made a stir fry last night for the first time in years. I always thought they were boring, but I think that my sauce was always crappy. So I made an extra effort with it last night and yum!!

http://tonesqueeze.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Nesie

It just occured to me...how long this weight loss thing takes. have to lose about 36 pounds in total and this week i lost 0.5. it would take forever at that rate. ok it was totm but still i know i could have done better. didn't really do exercise everyday this week. right now i'm sitting on the couch thinking about losing weight...why am i not going to a cycle? (I do like cycling) or a walk (dont like walking). I need to convince myself to move my oversized backside!!!

rant over...if anyone read all of this..fair play...

weight.png

Morning all! So had my WI this morning & I'm delighted to say I was down 1 & 3/4's lbs :D so this means I'm now in the 10's woooooo hooooo so thrilled!

Going to have a chilled weekend & do some 'spring' cleaning I'm going to sort out the freezer some food presses & sort out aload of old paperwork! I'll get my run in later too. Have a good weekend everyone!

• Advertisement

Morning all! So had my WI this morning & I'm delighted to say I was down 1 & 3/4's lbs :D so this means I'm now in the 10's woooooo hooooo so thrilled!

Going to have a chilled weekend & do some 'spring' cleaning I'm going to sort out the freezer some food presses & sort out aload of old paperwork! I'll get my run in later too. Have a good weekend everyone!
    Congrats! That is brilliant news. Well done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement