Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house next to an African Family?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Hold on, so this store on Grafton Street was to your mind racist because of how you felt they had treated you when you shopped there, but yet they had previously hired you???
    I corrected myself and my last post emphasized 'some' not all...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

My impression of the OP is that he saw the film An Education on TV last week, and he's putting out a feeler to see if he might do a spot of 1950s-style blockbusting:
    • move a "ethnic" family in to a neighbourhood;
    • property prices plummet;
    • blockbuster picks up bargain properties;
    • move the "ethnic" family to a new neighbourhood;
    • property prices climb again;
    • profit.
    However, it's not the 1950s any more. Thankfully. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

bnt wrote: »
    However, it's not the 1950s any more. Thankfully. :o
    It's also not America. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So we're all agreed that regardless of what colour or race or religion people are they should be treated according to their behaviour?

Excellent.

This excludes women of course. Violent, smelly lot. I trust them not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    It's also not America. ;)
    I guess you didn't get the movie reference, then? It happened in the UK too, though it wasn't called "blockbusting". One of the most notorious practitioners was Peter Rachman, who was briefly mentioned in the film. If it didn't happen in Ireland back then (AFAIK), it's because the blockbuster would have had trouble finding an "ethnic" family to use in the process. The Wikipedia article doesn't tell the whole story ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I wouldn't mind African neighbours, but no way in hell would I ever move onto an estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Shenshen wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind African neighbours, but no way in hell would I ever move onto an estate.

You're an estatist then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A firend of mine moved house to get away from his noisey nigerian neighbours and vowed "never again"

My old man reckons the "nigerians" on the road down from him are running a knocking shop, which is fair enough cos they're not bad looking at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I corrected myself and my last post emphasized 'some' not all...

I'm still a bit confused. How do you know they were being racist? It might well have been that perhaps they simply hadn't enjoyed working alongside you in the past, ie it was personal and nothing to do with the colour of your skin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

iPearly wrote: »
    I've growned up in Brooklyn, lived in queens and manhattan as well as in Florida. Some of the most diverse and busy cities in the world.

You know most of those are actually the same city?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

And the one that isn't, also isn't a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Where is the love? This thread reminds me of this,

Africans are not bloody Aliens, and our African neighbours kids are much better behaved that our Irish neighbours kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Overall people are people, quite a lot of Africans living near me, there

generally polite and get on with doing things. Only problem i have i

sometimes it seems their gangs of children are let "loose" on the

neighbourhood.

There really loud and have caused a bit of anti-social behaviour, but

maybe thats just the way all kids behave today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

ah but how many here would know what a borough is? Also they would be larger then most irish cities, so think refering to them as cities in this instance is fine.
    1.3 million in the bronx, 2.2 million in queens...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Gulliver wrote: »
    They climbin in your windows
    They snatchin your people up
    tryna rape em so y'all need to
    hide your kids, hide your wife
    and hide your husband
    cuz they rapin errbody out here
    :pac:
    Have u ever been raped by them Gulliver? Am sure you are talking about your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

How in the name of fcuk is this thread allowed to stay open?

Mods such nazis and power trippers when it comes to certain topics but allow rampant, blatant racism at the same time...

Go suck on a lemon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'd like to start with the 'I'm not racist but.......' option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Have u ever been raped by them Gulliver? Am sure you are talking about your experience.

It helps if you "get" the reference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Why was this thread even allowed to see thew light of day ?

In all fairness, I haven't read any over the top, blatant racist remarks on this thread.

I have definitely seen far worse threads on AH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

I was going to say I lived in most of the NYC boroughs but then you would have been the first one to say " what is a borough". Therefore, I have listed by name highly populated and very diverse areas .

Advertisement