Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house next to an African Family?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Caucasian

That's not specfic to Europeans and is closer to referring to someone as 'black'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

m@cc@ wrote: »
    That's not specfic to Europeans and is closer to referring to someone as 'black'.
    Race: Race refers to physical characteristics such as skin colour, height, hair type etc. Race should not be confused with cultural factors such as language or religion. There is no such thing as a pure race as migration and mixing of peoples has led to interbreeding among peoples and has blurred all racial boundaries. Biologically speaking humans are all of one species. Yet there are clearly physical differences in the appearances of humans which are carried forward from one generation to the next by inheritance. These physical traits were acquired as peoples adapted to the demands of the climatic environment in which they lived. The most typical features used to classify people into different races are skin colour, facial features, hair and stature. This classification produces three major groups and a number of sub-groupings:

Caucasoid(white): The most widespread and numerous group. This group includes Europeans and people of European ancestry in North America, Australia, etc., plus Africans north of the Sahara and peoples of the Indian sub-continent.
    Asian: The second most numerous group. Found in large areas of Asia and also includes the native people of the Americas (Amerindians).
    African: The least numerous group. Found in Africa south of the Sahara. Due to the forcible transport of their decendants they are strongly represented in the Americas from the U.S.A. to Brazil.
    Other groups: There are also a number of other groups such as Australian Aborigines and the Bushmen of the Kalahari Desert.

Leaving Cert geography that is, note the definition of Caucasoid - Europeans and people of European ancestry. http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_senior.asp?id=3543

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

A few years back I lived in a housing estate (out in the wilds now) and some scumbag tried to rob my OHs car from the driveway.

One of my african neighbours saw what was happening and rang the guards, and thankfully they caught the scumbag hiding in the car.

Every neighbour was out on the street for the drama, africans, indians, eastern europeans and irish - the only house that didn't come out where the ones that tipped off the irish scumbag that tried to rob the car....and yes they were Irish, squared up to my OH the following day saying that he was lucky the car was still there that there was a "customer" waiting for it.:eek:

So yes, africans look out for their neighbours. Well mine did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Sonovagun wrote: »
    I know a guy who is moving because of his neighbour. He has found them
    Parking in his car space. He has found their children sitting on the bonnet of his car. They throw loud parties. And everytime he challenges them the use the race card.

I wouldn't move next door or anywhere near a Afican Family.

They climbin in your windows
    They snatchin your people up
    tryna rape em so y'all need to
    hide your kids, hide your wife
    and hide your husband
    cuz they rapin errbody out here
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

sick of the racisim country isim or whatever in this country

one of the lads at work (home improvements) happens to be polish

i'm in charge of who does what work' you would not believe the sh1te that people come out with to complain or try to get one of the other lads to finish their work

makes me sad

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

my granny who is sick atm lives next door to an african family, they buy her christmas presents every year, call in to see if she needs anything at the shop, the kids are always polite to her and they visit her in hospital when she gets taken in. but the same could be said about the irish woman who lives a few doors down, she even gives us a call if she hasnt seen her in a while or she doesnt answer the door. another neighbour is a junkie. so theres good and bad in all walks of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

if I moved to Africa, then I might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

"Would you buy a house next to an African Family?"

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

Would you buy a house next to an African Family?

When i first looked at this i thought it said horse. :eek::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

there are some african families in the general area where i live and they are all ok they just get on with their lives and dont bother anyone they are very friendly do if ya talk to them im not racist anyway i take people as i find them ye get good an bad in all walks of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

there are some african families in the general area where i live and they are all ok they just get on with their lives and dont bother anyone they are very friendly do if ya talk to them im not racist anyway i take people as i find them ye get good an bad in all walks of life

You are Kofi Annan and I claim my ten euro prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Would I buy a house next to an African family?
    Eh, yes!

Dont see what race has to do with your choice in neighbours; it would be different (for me at least) if it was ghetto-ised and nothing but African families in the neighbourhood-it would take a little more convincing for me to move in. But same goes with all-Indian/polish/chinese/whatever. Might not suit the Pc-brigade, but I would feel out of place in a community that had all of one culture that did not include my own.

However, I love a mix of races in a neighbourhood. My mam lives next door to a Chinese family, and two doors up from an African family, who have the cutest kids imaginable. Their mother is also really involved in chairties and organisies community nights out in the local GAA club and stuff. Brilliant, and more than a lot of the Irish parents do if Im honest.

I was renting a house awhile ago and the lease was nearly up. I got on with my neighbour pretty well (divorced guy, fairly well off, middle aged). A black family came to view the place as we were moving out. They were French, the guy was a doctor, mother a teacher and they had two polite kids. My neighbour knocked in to me as soon as they had left telling me 'they better not be renting this place or Ill brick in their windows!!' after a load of racist slurs. No wonder the guy was divorced, racist *****!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I'd have no problem buying house next to an African/Polish/Chinese/Turkish/Russian/Iraqi/Indian/American/Thai/Vietnamese <insert any random nationality here> if the house was nice and the neighbourhood was decent...

...hmmm, just thinking of all the dinner recipe swapping possiblities... ;)

The only people I wouldn't buy a house beside would be a neo-Nazi family, (they'd probably have me killed in an instant ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 54,914 ✭✭✭✭walshb

First i must point out this is not in any way meant to be a rascist thread although I appreciate if some might think so.

Mods if this is inappriopriate I will rephrase it whatever way suits.

The reason I ask this question is I live 2 doors down from a family of Africans. The estate is about 3 years old (small estate of about 50 houses). Every house is now sold with the exception of the one next to them.

They are really nice and polite and their 3 kids are very cheerful.

Could people not want to live next door to them?

I have lived beside African families and never had trouble. I do know people who have had trouble. But, I also know people who have had trouble living next door to Irish. It isn't a race thing, it's a people thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

All depends. Is the lady of the house hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

bonerm wrote: »
    BTW, what type of Africans are they?

If they were white South Africans then I probably wouldn't want to live next to them.
    Racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jim69

was living next door to africans.looked out back window and saw all their furniture piled up in garden smashed to bits.they were kicked out shortly after.house was wrecked.when people get something for nothing them dont have much respect for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Apanachi wrote: »
    I'd have no problem buying house next to an African/Polish/Chinese/Turkish/Russian/Iraqi/Indian/American/Thai/Vietnamese <insert any random nationality here> if the house was nice and the neighbourhood was decent...

...hmmm, just thinking of all the dinner recipe swapping possiblities... ;)

The only people I wouldn't buy a house beside would be a neo-Nazi family, (they'd probably have me killed in an instant ;))

Tsk, tsk, prejudiced against neo-Nazis.
    You can't tar them all with the same brush! What have they ever...
    Oh...

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Tsk, tsk, prejudiced against neo-Nazis.

More like scared sh!tless of them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

reminds me of when i was selling my first house. a nice Romanian family made the highest offer and we accepted - yer man was an engineer. the nosey next door neighbour cornered me one day (i was hungover...and still drunk) and asked who we sold to. I told her they were a family from Romania - she looked stunned. but she looked even more stunned when i told her they'd measured the driveway to ensure they could get their caravan in as i casually walked off without another word. damn those were good times...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

People are people regardless of race. Most nasty people i meet are Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Two African families live on my street: one family (bought the house years back) is lovely: decent parents and lovely kids and the other family (the social is renting the house for them only for a year or two) is a pain in the arse. House is in bits; one or two of the kids need a slap tbh and will probably get one sooner or later although to be fair, there is no father there to keep them in check.

Although it's almost too obvious to point out - the moral of the story is that it isn't about the origin of the people, it's just about the people themsleves.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's a good few rental properties where I live,the Africans living in the area pretty much keep to themselves,the kids are polite and mix with the other kids in the estate.Never any problems.
    It's actually the Irish that have caused problems for landlords,some real scumbags have been renting but are quickly moved on.
    People can be good or bad no matter where they are from but the only problem is if you complain about someone who isn't Irish you're called racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I don't suppose I'd base it on their nationality. But as someone else said, if the house was run down, and the garden had fridges and battered cars parked in the driveway I'd probably object to that, but that would make nationality irrelevant!

The thing is, if a house is privately rented you don't have a choice who goes into it. I much rather live beside a decent family (no matter race, colour or creed) than a bunch of students (for example), or a house share with a loada scum bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I read the title as "Would you buy a horse next to an African Family?"

I was thinking what the fùck is this? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ostrich

As already mentioned. There are scumbags in every race.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Africans? Sure.
    Travellers? No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ayeboy

The OP's question is racist. And my answer would be yes.

A more appropriate question would be.....would the bank give you money to buy a house next door to a black family? And the answer would be no....the racist money hoarding *ankers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

If you were to attend residents' meetings in some of the exurb estates, especially in the West of Dublin, you'd find that the antisocial elements most people encounter tend to relate to either youth vandalism or else to the fact that some people of all 'races' (a Victorian concept long since disproved - why are we still talking in such terms?) simply don't actually know how to live in a modern dwelling.

Be they Irish travellers, Roma gypsies or rural Africans, things like dumping stuff in the garden, blocking toilets with refuse, noise at anti-social hours are all the result of not actually being familiar with how own resides in a modern dwelling among neighbours.

This isn't a specifically African thing, and obviously there are plenty of Africans who know how to live properly and respectfully of their neighbours too.

My defining issue would be whether my neighbours knew how to live properly and be good neighbours, or whether they were going to live 15 to a 3 bed, with old mattresses, cars and trash in the garden, blocking the sewers with nappies and staying up drinking and partying half the night.

Advertisement