Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house next to an African Family?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

bonerm wrote: »
    I didn't generalise. You did.

Typical Irish, generalising! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I live beside an African family... ten times better than any of the neighbours I had previously!

Lovely quiet little family (just mother, daughter and grand daughter, we learned that the mothers husband died a few days before we moved in), and she sends in lovely african food and beer whenever she has a party :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yes, if it was in a desirable area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

As long as their lions and wilder-beast don't trample on me flowers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

First i must point out this is not in any way meant to be a rascist thread although I appreciate if some might think so.

Mods if this is inappriopriate I will rephrase it whatever way suits.

The reason I ask this question is I live 2 doors down from a family of Africans. The estate is about 3 years old (small estate of about 50 houses). Every house is now sold with the exception of the one next to them.

They are really nice and polite and their 3 kids are very cheerful.

Could people not want to live next door to them?

Is the empty house not next to your house as well ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I do live next to a lot of African families. The ones I know seem lovely so far. My racist, loud, drunken Irish neighbour on the other hand could disappear up his own hole and it would improve the place no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Nodin wrote: »
    I know a number of people with dodgy neighbours, but they all seem to be Irish. Should they refuse to live beside irish people or just say feck it and emmigrate?

Whats wrong with disliking irish people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

orourkeda wrote: »
    Whats wrong with disliking irish people

...disliking all Irish people based on experiences with a few....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My last apartment had a connecting hall to three apartments-
    directly next door was an African family and there was never so much as a peep from them, they were spotless clean and OMG the smells of cooking that came wafting in was amazing!
    They often borrowed chairs from us when they had family/friends visit and we were happy to oblige. They have the cutest 5 year old son who would look at me wide eyed in the lift- willing me to let him push the buttons. My husband would have him in fits laughing whenever he passed our door he would peek in our letter box and shout "Hello" and my husband would shout back "Hello??Hello? Mr postman? No, no bills today, thanks!"
    Can't say the same about the scumbags that lived opposite us - they once took a poo in the hall and left it there - the African mammy was out throwing buckets of bleach over it while I was ringing the letting agency and demanding they do something about it!

So, long story short, yes, yes I would live next to lovely people like my former African neighbours.

...disliking all Irish people based on experiences with a few....?

Yeah. Sweeping generalisations work for me.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Sweeping generalisations work for me.

It's illogical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

It's illogical.

Would you live next door to a Vulcan family?

Yes, though I might apply a bit of discretion when leaving the house during the time of Pon Farr.

It's illogical.

Perhaps. People are not always logical.

Are you out of your vulcan mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Yes, though I might apply a bit of discretion when leaving the house during the time of Pon Farr.

Live long and prosper, but not on my starboard bow! :P

Perhaps. People are not always logical.

Indeed they aren't. Emotional reasoning and all that. However, it is illogical. That being said, as long as nobody has 'burn the paddies' rallies outside their houses, its their heads, and they may think in them as much they please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

If they were white South Africans then I probably wouldn't want to live next to them.

Is tarring an entire ethnic group with the racist brush not in itself highly racist ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I live in a mixed area and the Africans and Arabs are my best neighbours, I couldn't speak highly enough of them, especially the Somalians, Never a bother from them, They do speak very loud but its not them that rob my car, mug people in the lane, leave beer cans and graffiti around, Thats left to some of our own..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sonovagun wrote: »
    I know a guy who is moving because of his neighbour. He has found them
    Parking in his car space. He has found their children sitting on the bonnet of his car. They throw loud parties. And everytime he challenges them the use the race card.

I wouldn't move next door or anywhere near a Afican Family.
    Pahahahahah! It even starts with "I know a guy who"...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Lustrum wrote: »
    Definitely feasible. Unfortunately you can't change some people's prejudices. You could probably start a similar thread and just insert Chinese/Traveller/Limerick (:D) instead of African

I hardly think it's fair to put Chinese with travellers. Different shark Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

i would if they where the cosbys......:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

My personal experiences of Africans have been positive. In my imagination though they can't be trusted so while I would have no problem in real life in my imagination I would move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

My personal experiences of Africans have been positive. In my imagination though they can't be trusted so while I would have no problem in real life in my imagination I would move.

Your imagination sounds like a real cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Yes, what a dumb fcuking question.

I'm the foreigner where I am. Would a nice Arab/Jew live next to a smelly paddy? If they wouldn't, fcuk them. I don't see what the same principle shouldn't apply the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

It is funny how 'Africans' and 'Asians' are considered a 'race' but Europeans aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Is tarring an entire ethnic group with the racist brush not in itself highly racist ?

You can't be racist against white people didn't you get the memo?

He would have been lambasted if that was a comment against a black group. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

m@cc@ wrote: »
    It is funny how 'Africans' and 'Asians' are considered a 'race' but Europeans aren't.

Caucasian

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

First i must point out this is not in any way meant to be a rascist thread although I appreciate if some might think so.

Mods if this is inappriopriate I will rephrase it whatever way suits.

The reason I ask this question is I live 2 doors down from a family of Africans. The estate is about 3 years old (small estate of about 50 houses). Every house is now sold with the exception of the one next to them.

They are really nice and polite and their 3 kids are very cheerful.

Could people not want to live next door to them?

I lived in a terraced house in London for seven years with West Indian neighbours on either side, they were lovely people. They do their thing and you do yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I live about 8 doors down from an African family. Turns out they were flushing nappy's down the toilet.

Pointed out to the chap the big pile of nappy's clogged in the sewer pipe in my back garden and was making my garden smelly.

They stopped.

Nice chap.

Advertisement