Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house next to an African Family?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I might very well buy a house next to an African family, but the house I buy will be so remote and isolated I might never realise the nearest house might be filled to the brim with Africans

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

ayeboy wrote: »
    .the racist money hoarding *ankers!!

Why would you feel the need to censor the word bankers...

...oh wait....

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

for all the pepole who wood not mind, get on a plane fly to any spot in africa and walk out of the airport and see how far you get...........???????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

for all the pepole who wood not mind, get on a plane fly to any spot in africa and walk out of the airport and see how far you get...........???????

Having been to most countries in Africa, and lived in one for 25 years, I'd say you'd get as far as the Taxi rank or car hire place. You'd then be stopped as you'd need to either explain to the taxi driver where you were off to, or pay for the rental you're picking up.

There could be a delay with option two there as you'd need to find your credit card, and having just got off a 10 hour or so flight, it's probably in your wallet that's stuck under 10 hours of crap in one of your many bags...

(i could go on and on with this).

Mena wrote: »
    Having been to most countries in Africa, and lived in one for 25 years, I'd say you'd get as far as the Taxi rank or car hire place. You'd then be stopped as you'd need to either explain to the taxi driver where you were off to, or pay for the rental you're picking up.

There could be a delay with option two there as you'd need to find your credit card, and having just got off a 10 hour or so flight, it's probably in your wallet that's stuck under 10 hours of crap in one of your many bags...

(i could go on and on with this).
    all well and good when you have the security of the airport or house or hotel with the ten foot wall and barbed wier on top.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Have you been to Africa good logs? It's a pretty big place, a lot of it has people who aren't trying to kill each other or anyone else. Bit like Ireland really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I nearly cried when I read this; I am black and African. I've lived in Ireland nearly 10 years; I'm proud of this and see it as an achievement.
    I'm a proud Dublin supporter (I even have an Arnott's jersey). I love the little streets, I love the banter, its home to me, and majority of my friends reside in Ireland.
    But threads like this make me feel unwelcome; I've experienced racism and racist remarks.
    Most of these bigots are uneducated (not just college education)
    I was room hunting a few months ago; I viewed over 50 rooms and some of the house shares that I was keen on where not keen living with a black person - shame.
    There are bad eggs in every race; black, white or Asian - don't tar us all with the same brush!!

A bit like Ireland..:confused: what where you pepole doing there handing out rice and blankets before you whent back to college???? yes i have been. north south and west africa and will be back there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

MIN2511 wrote: »
    But threads like this make me feel unwelcome; I've experienced racism and racist remarks.

*thanks*

<--- Not a racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Would definitely prefer to live next door to them than to the Dubs that were on display on Sky News over the last few days

• Advertisement

hello min2511 tell me this what part of africa are you from?????? tell me this do you feel safe when you go out in dublin to do any thing, park ,shops, or may be for a meal..........and im not a racist.

I've experienced racism and racist remarks.

Sorry to hear that, some people are just plain thick, thankfully it doesn't seem to have negatively changed your opinion of Ireland, we have a great wee country.

And always keep in mind, "Ireland where we're not racist we're just having the craic" ;; (most of us anyway...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

for all the pepole who wood not mind get on a plane fly to any spot in africa and walk out of the airport and see how far you get...........???????

Have to wonder which you're using to think with!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Not if i wanted my dog to live. All Africans eat dogs i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I was room hunting a few months ago; I viewed over 50 rooms and some of the house shares that I was keen on where not keen living with a black person - shame.
    There are bad eggs in every race; black, white or Asian - don't tar us all with the same brush!!

sad reminds me of my Dad when he was living in London in the early 80's
    being Irish he found it hard looking for accommodation to look at him im sure the English taught
    ah he looks decent but as soon as he opened his mouth it was no sorry I cant help you
    I cant imagine how it feels to be immediately judged by your colour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Not if i wanted my dog to live. All Africans eat dogs i think
    We only eat Poodle's though, but then, they're more rat than dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Would you buy a house next to an African Family?

Yeah, I'd love to live in Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

hello min2511 tell me this what part of africa are you from?????? tell me this do you feel safe when you go out in dublin to do any thing, park ,shops, or may be for a meal..........and im not a racist.

Why does it matter what part she is from?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

January wrote: »
    I live beside an African family... ten times better than any of the neighbours I had previously!

Lovely quiet little family (just mother, daughter and grand daughter, we learned that the mothers husband died a few days before we moved in), and she sends in lovely african food and beer whenever she has a party :D

Pygmies?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am surprised the thread ia allowed continue. Seriously, it is a wee bit prejudiced and racist. I am fairly leberal, but this is a bit much. Picking out an ethnic people and having a sort of free for all.

I have no issue with folks discussing race and religion, but this is real singling out. I think it's OTT.

• Advertisement

123balltv wrote: »

Not nice at all, it makes you feel like a worthless piece of sh!t sometimes.

Recently on the train (in Germany) a young woman of about 19-20 refused to sit beside of me because of my skin colour (I have a similar skin colour as Halle berry - but that's where the comparison stops ;))

I tried not to let it bother me, and I know it shouldn't, but it did and always does...

Luckily, growing up in Ireland, I never had any problems with racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

At least if you did move next door to Africans you could get your hair braided for cheap and find it easy to get a taxi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

walshb wrote: »
    I am surprised the thread ia allowed continue. Seriously, it is a wee bit prejudiced and racist. I am fairly leberal, but this is a bit much. Picking out an ethnic people and having a sort of free for all.

I have no issue with folks discussing race and religion, but this is real singling out. I think it's OTT.

.....good jaysus.....somebody is boardfraping walshb....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Formosa wrote: »
    Pygmies?

No. A member of the Fugarwe Tribe.they live in an area where the savannah grass is 5' high, and they are only 4'There tribal chant.........We're the Fugarwe......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It depends on the family in question, not the colour of their skin or their nationality...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are you sure people just don't want to buy the house next to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nodin wrote: »
    .....good jaysus.....somebody is boardfraping walshb....

Next I'll be defending the Roma Gypsies; only kidding, that's a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

martinn123 wrote: »
    No. A member of the Fugarwe Tribe.they live in an area where the savannah grass is 5' high, and they are only 4'There tribal chant.........We're the Fugarwe......

I knew one of them once.......I think his name was Who-da......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

A bit like Ireland..:confused: what where you pepole doing there handing out rice and blankets before you whent back to college???? yes i have been. north south and west africa and will be back there this year.
    Apanachi wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, some people are just plain thick, thankfully it doesn't seem to have negatively changed your opinion of Ireland, we have a great wee country.

And always keep in mind, "Ireland where we're not racist we're just having the craic" ;; (most of us anyway...)
    123balltv wrote: »
    sad reminds me of my Dad when he was living in London in the early 80's
    being Irish he found it hard looking for accommodation to look at him im sure the English taught
    ah he looks decent but as soon as he opened his mouth it was no sorry I cant help you

I do feel safe tbh; don't have any problem walking on the streets day/night. I'll be the last person to label anything as racism.

1. I was shopping in a certain grocery store in Rathmines and some aul one screamed at me "Get out of my country, you fecking *******"
    2. On the luas red line; this fella walked over and asked for spare change. When i told him i didn't have any he went on to say how ungrateful I was to the Irish economy/Goverment :rolleyes:
    3. Little kids calling throwing bottles and calling me names...
    4. Shopping in some store on Grafton street and then sales assistants who look down on you because they think you can't afford the bag/perfume/shoes :pac:

As I said most of these people are uneducated/illiterates e.t.c. doesn't change the fact that I love this little wee country :D

I got into a taxi once and a cab driver told me how he went to live in London years back in the 70's; he tried to buy a pint in a pub and the bar man pointed to a notice board that had "No Irish, No ****" he was on his way out when this big black fella came over to him and made the bar man serve him, they became friends and the rest is history :)

There are loads of stories, I'm not ashamed of who I am. I just hope most people don't tar us all with the same brush...
    I'm by no means perfect; but I like Ireland and I'm happy here...

And to answer the OP's question - It all depends...
    Will I buy a house beside a dirty, loud, disruptive black person = no thanks!
    Will I buy a house beside a white person with the same characteristics = no thanks!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

I don't think it is meant to prejudiced and racist (at least not originally), OP was only asking because the house beside the African family in his street is the only empty one of about 50

Advertisement