Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house next to an African Family?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

i dont think irish pepole give **** what the colour of your skin is or who you are or what you are as long as you dont have ...:DRED HAIR..:D:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

How in the name of fcuk is this thread allowed to stay open?

Mods such nazis and power trippers when it comes to certain topics but allow rampant, blatant racism at the same time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

maybe they don't want to live beside you

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Apanachi wrote: »
    I don't think it is meant to prejudiced and racist (at least not originally), OP was only asking because the house beside the African family in his street is the only empty one of about 50

Yes, I know, but it leads to it becoming a free for all. I think for that reason
    it's not on. And let us be honest, the OP meant black people, not African.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Not if i wanted my dog to live. All Africans eat dogs i think

What a retarded comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

I AM RACIST I HATE RED HEADS:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Apanachi wrote: »
    I don't think it is meant to prejudiced and racist (at least not originally), OP was only asking because the house beside the African family in his street is the only empty one of about 50

Did you not think that maybe the OP made the story up, covering themself, and still generating discussion, a lot of which is quite nasty and negative and untrue?

Not saying it is a made up story, but nobody knows if it's even true.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

walshb wrote: »
    Did you not think that maybe the OP made the story up, covering themself, and still generating discussion, a lot of which is quite nasty and negative and untrue?

Well in that case (if it IS the case) then by all means, the mods should intervene (and at the least now be keeping a close eye on this thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I got into a taxi once and a cab driver told me how he went to live in London years back in the 70's; he tried to buy a pint in a pub and the bar man pointed to a notice board that had "No Irish, No ****" he was on his way out when this big black fella came over to him and made the bar man serve him, they became friends and the rest is history :)

I like this story always wondered how blacks and Irish got on in England
    back in those days they were in the same league

in my mind its Mr T and some skinny, lanky Irish guy named Ryan Turbidy :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

walshb wrote: »

Not saying it is a made up story, but nobody knows if it's even true.

I too think the mods should try and second guess the motive behind every thread on boards and sanction any poster who they have a hunch might at one stage have had a thought that contravenes the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Whether they were Irish, African or other, I would not be happy to buy a house next to them if they exhibited anti-social behaviour. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a care in the world.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

4. Shopping in some store on Grafton street and then sales assistants who look down on you because they think you can't afford the bag/perfume/shoes :pac:

I dont think that had anything to do with racism if it is the shop i think it is.
    They look down on everybody there.

ayeboy wrote: »
    A more appropriate question would be.....would the bank give you money to buy a house next door to a black family? And the answer would be no....the racist money hoarding *ankers!!

What the whaaaat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

inforfun wrote: »
    I dont think that had anything to do with racism if it is the shop i think it is.
    They look down on everybody there.
    I worked there years ago; and I remember the attitude....

And I should say 'some' sales assistants

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why was this thread even allowed to see thew light of day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Course i would, if it was a nice house and i had money.

Does remind me of a joke though, slightly racist but does seem to be related.

Irish guy moves into a new house at the same time as his *insert random foreigner(Pakistania/African/Azerbajannnniiiiannnn)* also moves into his identical new house.
    They get to talking one day over the fence, and the *Insert random foreigner(Pakistania/African/Azerbajannnniiiiannnn)* says "My house is worth more then your house".
    Irish guy can't believe it " How can that be, both houses are identical?!".
    *Insert random foreigner(Pakistania/African/Azerbajannnniiiiannnn)* Says "Ah your house is worth less because it is because it is next door to a *Insert random foreigner(Pakistania/African/Azerbajannnniiiiannnn)*!

If that offends, please delete!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

There's a black family next to me and they do get a terrible time every now and then. They're originally from Somilia but lived in Chile for a long time. The whole family speaks spanish so i speak to them most days and they are really nice and friendly people. The family to the left of them were trying to sell the house but they had some people tell the estate agent that they weren't interested when they knew a black family lived next door. I couldn't believe people could be so open about that. They get letters sent to their house telling to to move, dog shít put in their garden and had their car sprayed a few times with a Polish word for N1gger. I had that sprayed on my car too and have gotten one or two letters in the past. I'm pretty sure i know who's doing it as there aren't many Polish up here and there's one house that gives some weird looks when i drive by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What a retarded comment.

Here do me a favour and go suck on a lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Here do me a favour and go suck on a lemon

fight fight fight fight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

I would, unless they annoyed me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Veles wrote: »
    That is just all kinds of wrong.hope you reported all this to the Gardai

I reported it to them after i found out what czarnuch meant. The other family have also reported stuff to them lots of times. There's only 2 houses with Polish people living in them in my estate that i know so it would have been easy to pay them a visit. Myself and Victor pointed out that it's a Polish word and it might be worth questioning the houses we told them had Polish people down the road. But i never seen them visit and they never get back to him or me after any complaints. Not blaming the Polish for all of it but it would be strange for Irish people to use foreign words to express their hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How in the name of fcuk is this thread allowed to stay open?

Mods such nazis and power trippers when it comes to certain topics but allow rampant, blatant racism at the same time...
    Most of the comments are grand - and any of the racist ones are just shown up for the idiocy they are, and the rest of us will get a good laugh off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Don't be prejudiced against seemingly racist threads! ;)

Many seemingly racist threads are often hard-working, always staying on the front page (often for many hours in a row while apparently "normal" threads can often be found hanging round page 4 doing nothing after a few hours). Seemingly racist threads are often filled with constructive posts that add to our cultural discourse, and blend in well and get along with indigenous threads.

Threads about them Roma though!!?? Don't get me started! Comin' over here, stealin' our bandwidth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

for all the pepole who wood not mind, get on a plane fly to any spot in africa and walk out of the airport and see how far you get...........???????
    The question refers to living next door to an African family in Ireland - what might your thick as sh1t point be?

It's intriguing too how you're aware of how things are in "any spot" in Africa. Fair play to you for covering an entire massive continent so thoroughly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Not if i wanted my dog to live. All Africans eat dogs i think

No, that would be the Swiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

Veles wrote: »
    That is just all kinds of wrong.hope you reported all this to the Gardai
    I've growned up in Brooklyn, lived in queens and manhattan as well as in Florida. Some of the most diverse and busy cities in the world. I've moved to Ireland 5 years ago and bought a house in a good quiet estate. Unfortunatell the builder ( irish) decided to keep the house next to mine for RENT. In the 3 years he had managed to let the place to 2 individual drug dealers- both irish. Late night parties,vandalizm, loudness, rows and anything else you can imagine took place. It took many of us ( neighbours)and a long time to get rid of them. Gardai were useless as their hands were tied. NEVER in all my 12 years in the states have I experienced such bad neighbours and I lived next to many nationalities. Sure - I'm positive some people were up to worse things than that - but they always managed to let everyone around them live peacefully.
    This thread started about blacks - but the truth is- it does not matter what colour you are- it's about how your parents raised you and what values have you kept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

MIN2511 wrote:
    4. Shopping in some store on Grafton street and then sales assistants who look down on you because they think you can't afford the bag/perfume/shoes
    I worked there years ago; and I remember the attitude....
    And I should say 'some' sales assistants

Hold on, so this store on Grafton Street was to your mind racist because of how you felt they had treated you when you shopped there, but yet they had previously hired you???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

I think it would be great to be a landlord to an african family.
    I'd come around every rent day, bongos ready in hand and say:

"A-o, a-o, today is the day that i need some rent A-o, A-o, give me the rent or your buns are gonnnnnnnnnne..."

Advertisement