Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once Upon A Time (ABC) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

The name Neal Cassady is a strange choice for the name of Emma's lover. It's probably nothing, but the main character of "On The Road" was called Dean Moriarity, modelled on Jack Kerouac's mate, Neal Cassady.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The name Neal Cassady is a strange choice for the name of Emma's lover. It's probably nothing, but the main character of "On The Road" was called Dean Moriarity, modelled on Jack Kerouac's mate, Neal Cassady.

Dr. Whale seemed like a strange name but it turns out it was a clue to his real identity so you never know. Although I'm not sure Neal has a fairytale identity, it may not even be his real name. He was a career criminal, could be an alias.

Dr. Whale seemed like a strange name but it turns out it was a clue to his real identity so you never know. Although I'm not sure Neal has a fairytale identity, it may not even be his real name. He was a career criminal, could be an alias.

It just seemed so blatant, for want of a better word, that it stuck with me while watching the show. It probably means nothing, just a tip of the hat from one writer to another

It just seemed so blatant, for want of a better word, that it stuck with me while watching the show. It probably means nothing, just a tip of the hat from one writer to another

Yeah, there was a lot of nods to Lost on last nights episode too, so it could just be like you said, a nod to something one of the writers liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hurley as the giant just seemed wrong to me. Just because know him as being a really friendly guy.

When they were talking about the red room, I was just waiting for them to mention there was a backward speaking dwarf there. :)

Wonder what was in the box since it was what convinced Neal right away. I thought it was August's typewriter.
    And unless he lost his memory when coming over, I doubt he's Rumple's son.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wonder what was in the box since it was what convinced Neal right away. I thought it was August's typewriter.
    And unless he lost his memory when coming over, I doubt he's Rumple's son.

He could be. When August asked him if he believed in magic he didn't say no. He deflected the question on to August. Could be he is Baelfire and whatever was in the box was something he recognised from FairyTale land.
    If he is just a random guy with no connection to magic at all I can't think of anything at all that could have swayed him so easily.

He could be. When August asked him if he believed in magic he didn't say no. He deflected the question on to August. Could be he is Baelfire and whatever was in the box was something he recognised from FairyTale land.
    If he is just a random guy with no connection to magic at all I can't think of anything at all that could have swayed him so easily.

True. Maybe he'd just been over here so long that his life in fairytale land was more like a dream to him and this confirmed it was real.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

When they were talking about the red room, I was just waiting for them to mention there was a backward speaking dwarf there. :)

That's exactly the room I was picturing in my mind every time they described the dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I have missed so much of this! In the process of downloading and re-watching the first season to catch up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Just watched last weeks and this weeks ep. back to back, i must say the Ruby/Red episode was superb....in fact the way they told that story and especially the sequence featuring the wolves in the woods was better then the entire Twilight saga put together!

That backstory felt like a movie, that embrace the wolf sequence was amazing, pity that wolf pack had to die, i was hoping Quinn would survive for Red to have a BF in Storybrook.

The linked dream angle is terrific as well, a way to communicate between worlds, but i read that such communication has serious consequences....ergo i expect Aurora to die, the burns Henry suffered seems to suggest that between worlds has physical consequences.

The King....:eek:framed Red then burned the hat! :mad: , such a revengeful/evil thing!, twas just terrific storytelling overall and what i like about this show is despite PG it can be pretty dark and gritty.

Last weeks ep. was also interesting but...lol, Morrison looked no younger with a ponytail and glasses, lol...wtf were they going for there?....18?, bleedin mid 30's ffs!

It looked like they didn't even try makeup on her or de-age her at all. so is Neal Baefire then? :confused:
    Think Emma should have trusted Hook!....they had mad chemistry as well :) , so bummer she locked him up. Again i thought the Aurora dream angle was very interesting and unique....but there has to be more to it.

I think the CGI while somewhat dodgy, i've seen worse....and the Red episode with the CGI wolves wasn't that bad.

3/5 for the beanstalk episode and 4.5/5 for the Red episode....this is just great tv overall! :)

^ --> :eek:
    zombies!
    :eek:

• Advertisement

Trying to contain myself not to read too much new posts, I'm up to Season 2 Episode 3. I spent the weekend watching all season 1 and my mind is blown. It's amazing! Going to watch more in a while and hopefully be caught up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I've seen it on RTE and a bit lost with it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

doovdela wrote: »
    I've seen it on RTE and a bit lost with it really.

You should get the boxset for season 1. The show has so many characters and so many backstories that it's not something you can just dip in and out of. And season 2 introduces even more characters, so you really have to be paying attention not to get lost sometimes!

Always found it strange/disappointing that Ruby could change from human to wolf and back and still be fully clothed. :)

Some iffy effects again this week with the wolves. At times it looked like they were moving without moving their legs.
    Had to laugh at Ruby saying to her mother, after killing her, that she wasn't a killer.

Butterface wrote: »
    You should get the boxset for season 1. The show has so many characters and so many backstories that it's not something you can just dip in and out of. And season 2 introduces even more characters, so you really have to be paying attention not to get lost sometimes!

Yup...the show is very HEAVILY serialised, if you miss an episode yer fecked! :(
    You need to pay atention also, as the backstory move forwards and backwards in time. They move from Storybrooke to Fairytale Land. And within that fairytale world are several other fantasy worlds such as Oz, Wonderland, there are over a dozen in all but we've only seen about three.

In fact, its actually a rather complicated show! :eek: but once you watch and embrace it you'll get it and the flashbacks make more sense once youre used to the world of OUAT :)

Yup...the show is very HEAVILY serialised, if you miss an episode yer fecked! :(
    You need to pay atention also, as the backstory move forwards and backwards in time. They move from Storybrooke to Fairytale Land. And within that fairytale world are several other fantasy worlds such as Oz, Wonderland, there are over a dozen in all but we've only seen about three.

In fact, its actually a rather complicated show! :eek: but once you watch and embrace it you'll get it and the flashbacks make more sense once youre used to the world of OUAT :)

I actually caught that scene where the ruby slippers were mentioned! I hope they bring it in, Wonderland was amazing but Oz would be another cherry on top. I love how there is no barriers and they are not limiting the story to only a group of connecting tales. Even adding in Dr. Frankenstein was a great twist, while I was thinking he would be fairy tale related character :rolleyes:

I love Ruby's character and I'm happy the show is including her more, herself and Charming have some great chemistry going on they can really act well together.

The dream connection with Henry and Belle is interesting I think that might lead to Henry being able to get into the Enchanted Forest or at least be able to receive and send messages back and forth between different worlds.

I'm really happy that Henry's father wasn't a jerk and also the whole August thing was a shock but good stuff. I cannot wait till he reunites with his father.

Huh! I don't want to wait for the next episode... GET HERE NOW!!

Thank the gods!....after a torture filled two week break, tis back on tonight!....look forward to seeing Gold and Regina team up, i guess the midseason will hopefully get the gang back together in Storybrooke.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I absolutely can't wait. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until tomorrow, can't afford to stay up tonight :(

Just finished watching E08

I thought it was pretty meh! Nothing amazing happened, Mulan's character is starting to annoy me I really wish she would stop getting so ahead of herself and follow through with plans instead of trying to run off when trouble happens.

I think it was stupid of Charming to put himself
    under a sleeping curse
    I knew it wouldn't of worked out! I understand he wanted Henry safe but with Rumpelstiltskin's healing ability it would have been better to send Henry into the fire room and be woken and healed if necessary instead of Charming being stuck in there and risk the fire messing him up!

Is it me or did anyone find this episode a bit too cheesy? The part where snow and Charming are talking was so repetitive and it's becoming a bit tiring!

I really like Hook's character, although he seems kind of on Cora's side I think he has a small spark for Emma. My favorite bit of the episode was Hook and the gift he brought Cora, I wasn't expecting it at all! I can already see the trouble the this will cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trendy88

Anyone else think the CGI for the room with the flames was diabolical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Agree with everything OakeyDokey said, especially about the cheesy "we will always find each other" dialogue. And yeah the cgi was bad. Hook is excellent though.

The CGI is the worst thing about this show for me. Every time they're indoors in FTL it's horrible. Every thing should happen outdoors from now on. Why do they keep writing scenes like this when they know it's going to mean more CGI?

p.s.
    Does Hook not need to have magic to be able to pull out someone's heart like that?

Where did Hook aquire the heart taking skills?....i thought you had to learn the craft like Regina/Cora....and surely he didn't learn it from Gold?

In Neverland maybe?....can he not be killed?....he was mighty confident Cora couldn't kill him!

I thought the ep was rather average, quite slow paced at times, and the reveal of Hook taking Aurora heart made NO sense!.....?

So can anyone take a heart? Gold, Regina, Cora, Hook, Starship Trooper.

And I'm no expert or anything but I'm pretty sure I would notice if my heart was missing.

So can anyone take a heart? Gold, Regina, Cora, Hook, Starship Trooper.

And I'm no expert or anything but I'm pretty sure I would notice if my heart was missing.

Someone can take your heart and all it means is that they control you, I think. Unless they squish it and then you're dead. I kind of thought you had to have some sort of magic to be able to take one though, so I've no idea what's going on.

I also noted Ariel the mermaid memtioned + Cinderella!

Someone can take your heart and all it means is that they control you, I think. Unless they squish it and then you're dead. I kind of thought you had to have some sort of magic to be able to take one though, so I've no idea what's going on.

That was the wtf :confused: moment for me, there has been zero hint that just anyone could take a heart, Runple trained Cora and Regina. It was never hinted any jack in a beanstalk could just take a heart.....let alone Hook.

They *need* to explain this as if Hook can just take someone's heart without being trained or through magic its a very jump the shark moment..

confused.com

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought this episode was wretched. I can't stand Charming at the best of times and this bollocks of going in and out of the fiery room and the twee dialogue - enough of it already. Cora and Hook were the only saving graces. Any more of this and I don't think I could be bothered watching.

They *need* to explain this as if Hook can just take someone's heart without being trained or through magic its a very jump the shark moment..

confused.com

I had 2 theories on this.

1 - He got a heart from somewhere else and that's why he told Aurora to give a message to Emma, knowing that Cora would have her say more or less the same thing, then Cora would thing she was actually controlling Aurora. But this doesn't really work I guess because it was word for word what Cora was saying.

2 - Hook has been learning magic from Cora and we'll find that out in the next episode. Actually, in the promo for the next one I'm sure there's a scene of Hook with Regina but from Fairytale land, so it's possible he was learning it from her way back when to get revenge on Rumplestilskin?

I don't know, but I hope they have a convincing explanation for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I had 2 theories on this.

1 - He got a heart from somewhere else and that's why he told Aurora to give a message to Emma, knowing that Cora would have her say more or less the same thing, then Cora would thing she was actually controlling Aurora. But this doesn't really work I guess because it was word for word what Cora was saying.

2 - Hook has been learning magic from Cora and we'll find that out in the next episode. Actually, in the promo for the next one I'm sure there's a scene of Hook with Regina but from Fairytale land, so it's possible he was learning it from her way back when to get revenge on Rumplestilskin?

I don't know, but I hope they have a convincing explanation for it.

It has to be theory 1. He gave it to her as a "gift". His abilities are acquiring treasures and she seemed quite pleased with the ruse.

Aurora's hear must of been taken while she was sleeping. Cora could have taken the heart when she was locked in the dungeon and played the same trick on the group.

Advertisement