Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours, one and only Queen thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Seriously people saying the Gardai did a good job today but they let Bertie and Cowen into within spitting distance of the Queen, two of the biggest crooks in the country.

I don't think she minds tbh.. After all, Philip liked to hang out with the SS so she mustn't be too particular about the company she keeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

I was withholding judgement until she actually finished her stay, in case anything offensive happened and then I wondered what the hell could she do.
    Beyond her possibly outing Bertie as an MI6 plant sent to bring down the state and saying it's time for him to return to his cupboard in the Royal kitchen, I'm not sure what I was expecting.

I'm still relatively indifferent about the whole thing. She's as welcome as any foreign head of state and if you still have a problem with Britain, go protest PM Cameron's visit. At least he isn't an 85 year old great grandmother possessing negligible power. The D&M bombings was a terrible event which requires answers asap, but this lady can't give them. Ask Cameron later in the week.

As an addendum, I don't buy this being a maturing moment in our relations. As far as I was concerned, we've gotten on well with the English for decades.
    If people want to see this symbolic event, fair enough, I can accept that. However, we stand as equals and the Queen is here as a guest and I'd prefer we don't have to witness another John Bruton/Prince Charles moment at any point during the visit. Genuine maturity means showing respect without kowtowing.

With that said, welcome to the Republic of Ireland, QEII*

Not the RMS version, though I would like to see it. *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I don't think she minds tbh.. After all, Philip liked to hang out with the SS so she mustn't be too particular about the company she keeps.

What exactly does this mean? As far I as understand it he served with British forces during WW II - please enlighten us?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip,_Duke_of_Edinburgh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

InTheTrees wrote: »
    So illegitimacy means immunity?

Thats odd.

WTF are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

The same Prince Philip who was awarded a medal for bravery during the second world war? For fighting against the Germans in the Mediterranean with the Royal Navy I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

2 photos of the visit made the USA Today site (& paper), one of the wreath & one of the protesters. That's huge coverage, they normally only have ten from all over the world & Ireland scored two in one day.

What exactly does this mean? As far I as understand it he served with British forces during WW II - please enlighten us?

Might have been referring to King George, I dunno for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

m@cc@ wrote: »
    No. The provisional IRA have never been a legitimate army no matter what support from within inside the Irish government.

Surely though if there was support for the IRA from within the Irish government then there are questions to be answered as an illegitimate army were supported by an officially recognised government.

As has been stated already though this is going way off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

df1985 wrote: »
    Theres a girl in pyjamas in he middle of the day, thats definately wrong anyway.

She must've been on her way to Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Adrian Kennedy is hilarious tonight. Some serious skangers on the phones :pac:

Kennedy asked one skanger and he didnt even know the 6 counties in the north

• Advertisement

mudokon wrote: »
    Surely though if there was support for the IRA from within the Irish government then there are questions to be answered as an illegitimate army were supported by an officially recognised government.

As has been stated already though this is going way off topic.

Officially, they weren't supported though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    So who or what is a "true" republican then Liam?

Already answered in the post that you quoted.

One that condemns the crap that went on today
    One that sees the people of this island as equals and doesn't agree with threatening or murdering them
    One that doesn't accuse people with opposing views to theirs as being west Brits and "inferiority complex" and other such rubbish
    One that doesn't scream foul re other people's atrocities while excusing and condoning those done by "republicans"
    Ones who treat all Irish people with respect and obeys the laws of this country as democratically decided by its citizens

That enough of a description for ya?

Basically one who accepts the definition of a republic (which is what the word comes from) and doesn't go around trying to undermine said republic.

Everyone is equal in a republic. The people of this republic voted, making that a collective law, and if you disagree with divorce you can't run around murdering or threatening people; likewise with democratic decision taken re the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Pauleta wrote: »

Listening to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,067 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Liam Byrne wrote: »

One that sees the people of this island as equals and doesn't agree with threatening or murdering them
    One that doesn't accuse people with opposing views to theirs as being west Brits and "inferiority complex" and other such rubbish
    One that doesn't scream foul re other people's atrocities while excusing and condoning those done by "republicans"
    Ones who treat all Irish people with respect and obeys the laws of this country as democratically decided by its citizens

Basically one who accepts the definition of a republic (which is what the word comes from) and doesn't go around trying to undermine said republic.

Everyone is equal in a republic. The people of this republic voted, making that a collective law, and if you disagree with divorce you can't run around murdering or threatening people; likewise with democratic decision taken re the North.

You Sir, are spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Pauleta wrote: »

I there a link to this - I'd like a listen. How many did the person get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Officially, they weren't supported though.

That doesn't change the fact that they were supported by the government. Could those actions be classed as an act of war even if they were unofficial?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

+1,000.

It' terrible saying it but that precludes many a person who sees themselves as true "Republicans".

I've pointed this out many times on this site, many of these true "Republicans" disrespect and bring disrepute on the 1916 Declaration of Independence.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Not to necessarily counter this, but partition and the subsequent 'republic' was formed in a pretty undemocratic way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Richard wrote: »
    I there a link to this - I'd like a listen. How many did the person get?

It went along the lines of

"eeeeeeeeh Armagh eeeeeeeeeeeeeh you know, all of Northern Ireland" and "I dont know Geography" :D

I would say the show will be available tomorrow to listen to again. Its still on now.

Philip's Relatives Work for the SS
    The husband of Philip's sister Sophie, Prince Christoph, was embraced by the Nazis, who saw him as a channel to the appeasement faction in Britain epitomized by King Edward VIII. Joining the Nazi Party in 1933, by 1935 Prince Christoph was chief of the Forschungsamt (directorate of scientific research), a special intelligence operation run by Hermann Göring, and he was also Standartenführer (colonel) of the SS on Heinrich Himmler's personal staff. The Forschungsamt used electronic intelligence-gathering methods to police the Nazi Party, while working with the Gestapo against the Catholic Church, the Jews, and labor organizations. When rumors of homosexuality spread against Capt. Ernst Roehm of the Stormtroopers, Himmler turned to the Forschungsamt's eavesdroppers, and ordered the "Night of the Long Knives" as a result. The eldest of Prince Christoph and Sophie's children was named Karl Adolf, after Hitler. Later, Prince Philip would promote his education.
    Prince Christoph's brother, Philip of Hesse, married a daughter of the King of Italy, and became the official liaison between the Nazi and Fascist regimes.

http://dottal.org/nazi_roots_of_the_house_of_windsor.htm

Philip is also on the record expressing his admiration for the Nazi regime. Of course that was pre the outbreak of WW2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Just watching Queen and Ireland on RTE. The killing of Louis Mountbatten and some of the other people in the boat was truely horrific. There were twin brothers on the boat. Only young boys at the time. The guy who survived showed remarkable dignity and forgiveness on the program tonight. Not sure I would be able to be so forgiving. Said only good things about Ireland. Remarkable. By the way I don't mean this to start a tit for tat they did this and we did that series of posts.

mudokon wrote: »
    That doesn't change the fact that they were supported by the government. Could those actions be classed as an act of war even if they were unofficial?

Well, I guess you'd have to substantially prove they were supported by a number of people within government and were in fact carrying out instructions of the Irish state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not to necessarily counter this, but partition and the subsequent 'republic' was formed in a pretty undemocratic way.

Agreed, which is why its legitimacy could arguably have been questioned up until the time that we got to vote on it.

But since then, anything so-called "republicans" come out with is a two-fingers to democracy......."if we don't get our own way, we'll threaten and bomb and maim, and we couldn't care less what nationality the victims are......hell, we'll even put bombs in places that we're screaming blue murder about the Brits putting them a few years ago and murdering Irish people"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

And what makes your definition the correct one compared to the other million or so definitions of what a "true republican" is that I have heard over the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I though it was just the traffic in Dublin,Cashel,Kildare and Cork that was going to be affected until I read this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

In his latest expression of bizarre behaviour, Joaquin Phoenix takes to the streets of Dublin to oppose the visit of Queen Elizabeth:

http://photos4.media.pix.ie/FE/48/FE48C678CBB14030A9EE63B474E08E2C-0000316428-0002323564-00500L-EDCB9099CC764FA8A3E73800E722356D.jpg

In his latest expression of bizarre behaviour, Joaquin Phoenix takes to the streets of Dublin to oppose the visit of Queen Elizabeth:

http://photos4.media.pix.ie/FE/48/FE48C678CBB14030A9EE63B474E08E2C-0000316428-0002323564-00500L-EDCB9099CC764FA8A3E73800E722356D.jpg

He has put on a few pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

He has put on a few pounds.

Another irony considering he is in the Euro zone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I don't listen to the Adrian Kennedy show but turned it on now and this guy on at the moment is refreshing.

Survived the Dublin bombings himself, lost his father and is disgusted at the behaviour of the protesters on the streets of Dublin today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I don't listen to the Adrian Kennedy show but turned it on now and this guy on at the moment is refreshing.

Survived the Dublin bombings himself, lost his father and is disgusted at the behaviour of the protesters on the streets of Dublin today.

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement