Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours, one and only Queen thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MrChavcore

donfers wrote: »
    i have scanned through a few pages and that's my take on it

people have the right to protest (peacefully)

people have the right to criticise protesters who don't do so peacefully

but on almost every page there are references to skangers, Celtic jerseys, scumbags, junkies, bad haircuts, ugly people, poor fashion sense, social welfare spongers, pyjamas etc etc

to be honest you may be embarrassed by the conduct of some of the protesters - that's fine, but many many many of the posts in this thread are critical of the look/appearance of the protesters and these kinds of posts are also a huge embarrassment if you ask me. The self-proclaimed intellectual elite sneering at the proles beneath them, so cool and detached and above all those futile ill-considered working-class ideals. The stench of cheap populist snobbery is all over this thread and is as embarrassing as anything witnessed in Dublin city today if you ask me.

i have complete disdain for elitism but lets get real here. the people in those pictures are the kinds of people who feel the burning need to slag me every time i walk past them in the street or give me death stares on the luas or bus. i remember when i first moved to dublin from london my friend came over and i was in the process of telling him that scumbags had no problem telling you if they thought you looked like a **** or not and sure enough on our walk from o' connell street we got abused by some tracksuit clad knackers who took offense to us wearing skinny jeans (shock! horror!). its a 2 way street unfortunately so if you are going to generalise and call everyone who has a problem with these types snobs then they have just as much a right to pass judgement of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ricardo G wrote: »
    We should replace all those protesters with one MAN............CHUCK NORRIS !!

''Why did the Queen cross the road??
    To get away from Chuck norris !!

He wouldn't stand a chance, especially if he said "You and whose army?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

The stench of cheap populist snobbery is all over this thread and is as embarrassing as anything witnessed in Dublin city today if you ask me.

For real?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

steve9859 wrote: »
    Jimmygarlic: That is hardly particularly controversial. The whole of Germany latched onto hitler as a beacon of hope after a desperate depression. It was only later that their nastiness became apparent. In 1937 the nazis weren't in full ethnic cleansing mode. Some people are talking about the risk of the same thing happening now - the rise of previously peripheral political movements due to our own great depression. please don't tell me you have posted that in an effort to portray Philip as a hardcore nazi!!

The signs were there long before 1937. It didn't take a genius to work out what they had in store for what they considered "racial trash", the disabled and the mentally ill. Good old Philip still champions eugenics to this very day.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 elpistolero

I read something today saying prince phillip was commander and chief on the day of bloody sunday up the north in the 70's??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I read something today saying prince phillip was commander and chief on the day of bloody sunday up the north in the 70's??

lolink?

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    lolink?
    sorry just read it in another forum wonder if anyone had backup?

sorry was her son apparently not philip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

but on almost every page there are references to skangers, Celtic jerseys, scumbags, junkies, bad haircuts, ugly people, poor fashion sense, social welfare spongers, pyjamas etc etc

to be honest you may be embarrassed by the conduct of some of the protesters - that's fine, but many many many of the posts in this thread are critical of the look/appearance of the protesters and these kinds of posts are also a huge embarrassment if you ask me. The self-proclaimed intellectual elite sneering at the proles beneath them, so cool and detached and above all those futile ill-considered working-class ideals. The stench of cheap populist snobbery is all over this thread and is as embarrassing as anything witnessed in Dublin city today if you ask me.

So we can't call scumbags scumbags any more?

How's about we drop the PC bull**** and start calling a spade a spade. The reason these people exist is that we let them exist. Also, FYI they aren't the "working class", they're the chronically work-shy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nope, would have been the Queen.

David Cameron apologised for Bloody Sunday.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Look at the great comment under this telegraph article
    History as it is taught is seldom accurate and seldom impartial.

If Ireland had joined in the struggle against Hitler it would have had the protection of Britain and its navy. The German navy was no match for the British, so your “story” about poor weak Ireland doesn’t add up. As it was, the refusal of the Irish to help in the titanic struggle was so serious (it is estimated that Irish neutrality cost the lives of tens of thousands of allied sailors) that there were plans for the British to invade Ireland - as it had Iceland.

It is also true that on hearing of the death of Hitler, De Valera sent a message of condolence to the people of Germany. So you can see where the sympathies lay.

It is also quietly forgotten that on the outbreak of war the Irish were not wonderfully courageous and determined to help with the cause. Instead hundreds of thousands of Irish who had lived in Britain quickly scooted back to Ireland. They were jeered by British workers as they filed onto the boats taking them to safety. The British were condemned for their actions (as usual) but the Irish were not condemned for their cowardice. The British are always in the wrong. The others, never.

I wonder if the Irish will attend any memorials for all those they killed but their acts of terrorism. Not likely I would say. Even relatively soon after Irish Catholic terrorists murdered Lord Mountbatten people seldom mentioned (actually it’s covered up) that there were other casualties at the same time, including a 14 year old boy, killed stone dead by those lovely innocent Irish who are honoured as heroes.

The English should be telling the Irish to get stuffed. But they won’t. I think the English have become secret sexual deviants. They “get off” on apologies and abasing themselves.

Soon it won’t matter any more. The English are determined to make themselves extinct. On present statistics and demographics the last Englishman will disappear about 2035.

Then the Irish will really be able to celebrate.

Apparently us Irish Catholic terrorists honour the guys that murdered Mountbatten.

Ok done some researching, prince charles, queens son, is colonel in chief for the para regiment of the british army, who were responsible for the death of 14 civillians on bloody sunday in derry, has the monarch ever apologised for this does anyone know?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel-in-Chief

K-9 wrote: »
    Nope, would have been the Queen.

David Cameron apologised for Bloody Sunday.

would of been a nice and effortless gesture if someone from the monarch would of apologized

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ok done some researching, prince charles, queens son, is colonel in chief for the para regiment of the british army, who were responsible for the death of 14 civillians on bloody sunday in derry, has the monarch ever apologised for this does anyone know?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel-in-Chief

It's not like he was in Derry that day giving orders to fire on innocent civillians. The govt has apologiesd, what more do you want?

It's not like he was in Derry that day giving orders to fire on innocent civillians. The govt has apologiesd, what more do you want?

i dont want anything specifically i wasnt affected, just feel for the families of the victims and stuff, all im saying is that would it of it been so much effort for SOMEONE from the royal family to say sorry? i know he wasnt in derry but the colonel in chief description states 'kept informed of all important activities of the regiment' I think the events of bloody sunday were an important activity, however it probably is more likely that he heard nothing about what happened till afterwards, most sickening part however is **** like this :(http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2003/mar/25/bloodysunday.northernireland that guy didnt even get a prison sentence and is now living happily in belgium (wikipedia source)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MrChavcore

to all the people complaining and dregging up the past today i'd just like to point to japan as an example of how a society moves on and draws a line under the past... they have just as much reason (if not more) to harbour hate against the americans but they dont. i think its that kind of maturity and mentality that CERTAIN elements of irish society lack.

would of been a nice and effortless gesture if someone from the monarch would of apologized

They rarely speak on anything barring the Christmas Day Speech, bit like our President, it's a ceremonial role.

The British Government apologised.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For the first time since I began posting here I can post a message where my post applies to any AH thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Just turned on Euronews and it was mainly to do with those Anti-Irish clowns fighting with the Garda :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Going in to town tomorrow for this, anyone know who they have as Freddie Mercury replacement?

• Advertisement

Which town and which Queen and which Queen tribute band?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I just want to say to those thugs on Dorset St (Éirigí, Sinn Féin, Celtic "fans", you know who you are) who decided hurling every kind of weapon at gardai was a good way of "protesting" against the Queen's visit - you are absolute scum. You are something much less than dog **** on the footpath. You do not represent Ireland or its people. You are not Irish people, you are pure filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

The politically incorrect problem is that the never-working-class live up to these stereo-types time after time up and down the country.

Who mugs people and breaks into their property, stealing in minutes what they might have worked years for?
    Who deals the drugs and has the life style to take most of them?
    Who behaves like animals on public transport?
    Who causes a riot and physically assaults their own police force and destroys their own city?
    Who are the proud dubs throwing crap in the Liffey and doing bad graffiti all over the place?

These people have nothing in common with the idea of the proletariat or the working class.

The reality is that there are scum in society and no amount of investment in facilities, community projects etc seems to have changed that, sure its an easy life if you opt for it, never realising you have a part to play in the wider society and it somehow owes you, over and over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

A school for autistic kids down the road from me Is closing because it can't get the 240 thousand a year to run it.

That 30 million would have kept it open for 120 years.
    I agree. If it wasn't for the security threat posed by a small minority, we could save some of that money and possibly divert it to better uses.
    But these people don't care about anything but their own narrow murderous agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

MrChavcore wrote: »
    to all the people complaining and dregging up the past today i'd just like to point to japan as an example of how a society moves on and draws a line under the past... they have just as much reason (if not more) to harbour hate against the americans but they dont. i think its that kind of maturity and mentality that CERTAIN elements of irish society lack.

Or take India as an example. The Royal family regularly visits there without any trouble. The Amritsar massacre makes Bloody Sunday look like a damp squib yet the indians seem to have accepted that things happened in the past but that you have to, as a nation, move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

grenache wrote: »
    I just want to say to those thugs on Dorset St (Éirigí, Sinn Féin, Celtic "fans", you know who you are) who decided hurling every kind of weapon at gardai was a good way of "protesting" against the Queen's visit - you are absolute scum. You are something much less than dog **** on the footpath. You do not represent Ireland or its people. You are not Irish people, you are pure filth.

A small amount of protesters used violence, not all. I know many Gardai who are corrupt and/or break the law, maybe I should tar them all as scumbags. I'm not sure if Sinn Féin were protesting yesterday, but I know they have peaceful protests planned, it really does show your ignorance, you really need to grow up. Sinn Féin and Éirigí weren't on Dorset Street yesterday anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

"would of" isn't even a phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It is obvious that the vast majority (and posters) would agree that courtesy and respect be extended to the visiting Monarch and at the very least that Ireland's reputation is not damaged but hopefully enhanced.

It is clear that most Irish people abhor the unruly behaviour displayed by some protestors and it is a pity that the protestors received as much publicity as they have. I would prefer if the media starved this small minority of protestors with the oxygen of publicity.

Let's leave behind the negativity and instead focus our attentions on the positive aspects of this historic visit.

Don't look back with anger, look forward with confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I didn't say yours was wrong, I just outlined what I defined as a republican.

And where does that person/do those people stand in terms of the two questions ?

If the bombs this week had gone off and murdered Irish people, would the people involved accept that they wouldn't be welcome in Dublin or Monaghan, or anywhere else on the island ?

Would they protest against themselves ?

I have outlined - far more clearly than you - what I defined as a republican as well. You simply stated that you had a differing view, and you said that some people who engage in the murder of Irish people view themselves as "republican".

Contrary to your post you did not outline what you define as a republican.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Just a point, why should the queen apologise whilst in Dublin for something that happened in Derry , different countries

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement