Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JayKHunter's OSW Review 99 - AEW Revolution 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I feel famous now being noticed in the video. Looks like I'll have to take on that Moneymaker gimmick now too!

Fantastical episode as ever! Very funny, loved the Troy McLeure PSA at the start too!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Thanks for the kind words lads :) I asked on my page yesterday but is there anything you'd change to OSW to improve it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Haven't got a chance to watch it yet as I am waiting for a time I can properly enjoy it (after a few beers) I saw someone elsewhere criticise the current episode as a "jump the shark" moment. Apparently they disliked that it took 19 minutes to get to the first match. Unlike with some podcasts for example especially the Podcast One ones it never really bothered me. The self indulgence in a positive sense was always part of the charm of OSWReview. You kind of ease us in to what you reviewing too.

Will say it is a great shame that Saturday Night's Main Event didn't come along on the WWE Network before you started the show.

Dunno what prompted you to ask maybe it is just a periodic feedback thing. But if are reading the negative comments instead of the positive ones these days I'd say don't take too much notice I've seen Maffew become popular, get a backlashed and become popular again more times than I can remember. Just how the internet works.

Thanks Rovert, it's more of a finished-an-era-take-stock general feedback, I intend(ed) to do another Q&A but being strapped for time with the added 2 tattoo reviews I'm not sure we'll get to it this year. I'm fairly certain it was you that mentioned not being able to please everyone so just please yourself. It's definitely the case as I get directly opposing opinions (take that bit out, that bit was the funniest part of the show etc) but I'm always looking for ways in general to improve the show.

I had to look up Jump the Shark. It made me sad.

On another point I don't think I could take the vitriol/negativity spewed at Maffew or John Pollock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

If you could be a tiny bit more racist the show would be flawless.

• Advertisement

LOL! "More America bashing" comes up a lot as well. and "Review One Night in Chyna". GOD.

What do ye make of the career retrospective segments? (e.g. Cena, Angle, Orton etc - in D2D it was Hardyz/MNM) They do take a large chunk of time to video edit but I'm quite happy with how they turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Joking aside there isn’t really much that you could do to top what you are at. One thing I do find great is anytime you subtly put in a British & Irish pop culture reference (whether that be with What Bar! Or even when you equate something to something from famous British sit com).

It think the show thieves on the “lampooning”. I.e You guys tearing into and ridiculing some crappy storyline or gimmick. I think this is why your last episode was probably my favourite of the ECW shows. Wasn’t much it take the piss out of in either ONSs or Original ECWs.

As with EVERY Wrestling fan/OSW review fan. The Simpsons cropping up will always bring a smile.
    Career retrospective are never less than brilliant and as I have seen with my “less-smarky” friends, they do surprise many with the tit-bits you show in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Havent got to the DTD review yet, but in relation to feedback : Change nothing. Be yourselves, its gotten you this far. If it aint broke dont fix it. I binged on OSW review when I got into it and its gotten better with age.

Thanks ShagNastii and beakerjoe, that's very flattering! Appreciate it :)

Metal Gear Solid 1 - OSW Game Review!

With OOC in America, we do our first videogame review!
    When V1's PS4 broke, he took the time to clock MGS 1-4, so this is part 1!
    Something to hold you over until we're back on track! Lemme know what you think :)

15619946832_1f8270141d_o.jpg

WATCH: Metal Gear Solid!
    MORE: Written Reviews!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

In wrestling feedback ignore it you guys know what wrestling fans are like. If it's bad it's terrible if it's good it's good for 2 weeks then it should be totally changed. Your show is still amazing.

Watched the mgs review on the bus home thought it was very good I think their was too much care about spoilers though I have watched a few reviewers talk about old games and they always avoid spoilers, I'm not saying say the ending (although you should cause its whopper) but I don't feel it should be treated like a new game or a film, not many people are going to go and play the game based off of the review (no offence) so don't be afraid to talk a bit about more of the story. B

But that's just my opinion I've been listening for a long time but never bother to post..... Say you hate that .. My bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Haven't watched the MGS video yet but always had a soft spot for MGS2 since it was basically a remake of the first with upgraded graphics and stuff.

Are you going to review wrestling video games of the past? Would love to see one for In Your House, that was mad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Ageyev wrote: »
    Are you going to review wrestling video games of the past? Would love to see one for In Your House, that was mad :pac:

Are you a fan of Joe Gagne's Funtime Arcade? I used to be, but there seems to be more advertising than content going on these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackpotato

Ah I still haven't watched the Night Of Champions review because I haven't watched Night Of Champions yet. I'm kinda loving watching wrestling in small doses so I'm at September 9th right now! That December To Dismember is something I recall very well. I'm gonna watch your show right now!

Ok I watched that last night and I was half asleep but I laughed straight through for around 10 minutes at one stage. I wouldn't worry about negative feedback or taking in to much of what folks think because everyone has different opinions and I'd imagine fans of the show like it for what it is more than what it could be.

Bob Holly: I saw an interview with Ken Anderson where he said Holly got fired from the Fed because Ken had seen him rummaging through peoples gear in the locker room. My main memory of this guy was him and Bombastic Bart when he was Bodacious Bob with Cornette during the attitude era as the New Midnight Express and they has some sort of NWA or Smokey Mountain tag belts even though they were on Raw, and I have never watched it back, it's not my thing, but I remember Bart Gunn beating 7 shades out of Bob during the Brawl For All tournament. It was pretty one sided and brutal. Having said that, the match from new ECW where Bob had his back gashed by a table in a match with RVD actually made me respect him a bit, not just because he finished the match but it was a pretty decent match as I recall.

Bobby Lashley: When he 1st showed up on Smackdown, before there was Bootista, before there was Bluetista, I actually called him Blacktista! Mostly because that's what he was. I couldn't stand the dude, just boring. His run in TNA where I think he fueded with Scott Steiner and his wife was part of the storyline was uninteresting to me too. I have to be careful here because I'm a few weeks behind on TNA now, but now I like Lashley. Sure he won the title off EY after EY's epic 2 week run to the title, but he's been a great champ since then! Much like the Hulkamania era, they turned the guy heel because he's not entertaining when he talks and gave him a manager-mouthpiece in MVP who is mostly great on the mic! And it works, he's not Blacktista anymore, he might be Block Lesnar now though. I watched his fight on Bellator a few weeks ago and while I know not much about Bellator, Lashley won easily with a wrestling/grappling style that wasn't entertaining at all but was very effective. Interestingly, UFC and Bellaetor both ran shows that night in the same city at the same time!

The only time I thought the show was a bit harsh was the burial of Guineys! I liked that shop!

I know I've bitched about John Cena a lot on here before (He's credited with having a great work ethic while the rest of the roster does Smackdown every week, but him not being on Smackdown makes it a better show at the same time) but I don't wanna moan about bad stuff in wrestling. I've hugely disagreed with stuff Mr. OOC has said in past OSW reviews but the guy speaks from the heart, speaks the truth as he sees it, has little or no fear about backlash and I respect that a lot, even if he does like Lex Luger!

I dunno if you guys ever thought about doing a TNA show, I would be curious to see something pre-Tazz, pre-Kurt Angle going way back near their start.

I heard Chris Jericho say more than once that he thinks Vince revived ECW and squashed it because he was sick of E-C-Dubbya (Sheamus says dubbya) chants in the crowd all the time and I thought "That seems extreme!" until I realised that was an awful accidental pun but after watching this review last night, Jericho could be right.

The night I saw repackaged Becky Lynch lose to Charlotte on NXT a while back, Byron Saxton said "Charlotte is genetically superior" and I thought "Steady on Saxton you waste of everything, the girl lost a match, that's no reason to say Irish people are primitive!" until I worked out that that's Charlotte's moniker, she's genetically superior because of her Dad no matter who she's wrestling. No matter, Saxton makes no sense any of the time.

Anyway, I loved the rest of the show, what jersey? was nice. Anything about ManBearPig makes me laugh and any time I see MVP say he's half-man, half-amazing I always think of ManBearPig and laugh. I had no idea TNA used a plane crash as an entrance theme, that was news to me even though I remember Daivari in TNA. I have no idea why but Michael Cole looks like Mickey Mouse back at the time of this PPV!
    I gotta try to horse through some WWE stuff over the next few days just to see your Night Of Champions review! Nothing else is motivating me to watch much WWE, apart from seeing pictures of Putin which is funny even though it shouldn't be, Jerry Springer in 1998 would have been amazing on Raw, but seeing really bad segments by the Bellas doesn't really work though because I don't care about either of them. Then again one of them, Brie is so horribly bad, that it's actually funny even though it's not really meant to be.
    No matter, only 2 Raws to watch and Night Of Champions and the Raw the night after and I can watch your show! Probably around Christmas now that I see how much watching that actually involves!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Always enjoy a good brucie bonus ep especially as it seems they don't alter the time frame of Wrasslin ones much so I just watched the MGS one there and as a guy who got MGS when it first came out on the PS1 I enjoyed it and agree with its placing on the same level as a Zelda. Different types of games but along with a Final Fantasy and a few others id def have it near the top of a game list but of course below such a massive all time dealy like Mario.

If im totally honest I was a little dissapointed there was no mention of the hiding inside a carboard box that is rife in MGS cos it is also rife for your comedy stylings imo especially considering you are primarily a wrestling podcasts and Ambrose did the hiding in a box trick on Raw recently that I believe is available as a MGS gif too. Siilarily i thought you would be cracking jokes about Metal Gear itself essentially being an enforcement droid from robocop that could shoot Nukes!
    83256323_4fc3d99a15_o.jpg

I love though how you have taken to introing points by saying, now this isn't racist but... it's like starting something with no offense and then immediately saying something offensive but much funny for some reason... Those Pervy Japanese. Though I tend to agree when you say it anyway although im sure its still probably racist

overall very enjoyable and made me consider a MGS purchase as my new wife gave me a Vita for my most recent irthday

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭EMPunk

Hows it going Jay ,

First off let me say iv been listening to the show for a few months and its by far my favorite podcast.

I had a bitta free time over the weekend there and saw the link for the D2D episode on BM. Now id never actually watched the show as id assumed it was just the three of you lads in a room with a bitta splicing going on so id only ever listen to them on the phone or laptop. Holy god was i wrong , i was rolling on the floor crying laughing for most of it, I was blown away , now iv to try find the time to watch a few more ha!!! Please keep it up as its the best thing in wrestling today IMO , I might have a biased view cos im a dub and have the same kinda wrestling convos and craic with my 2 brothers but im gona say , best , podcast, ever !!! Considering the amount of ****e out there you guys show is exactly what the standard should be.

Change nothing unless you feel you need too, fook the haters ,
    Eat, Sleep, OSW, Repeat

Thanks for the lovely words lads :) How about a BRUCIE BONUS EPISODE!
    Hell in a Cell & RAW - OSW Review #44

FROM OUTTA NOWHERE!
    Jay & V1 run down the newest WWE PPV and the fallout from RAW!
    Featuring a fun Top 10 and Princess Leia, apparently!

15042304464_601d08256d_o.jpg

WATCH: Hell in a Cell & RAW!
    MORE: More Episodes!

Ah **** ya, have to be up at 7.30 in the morning!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Enjoyed that Brucie bonus as usual and sure the box bits etc will probably in the MGS2 one (at the time I forgot there will be more than 1)

You asked previously about your Career retrospectives, I really enjoy them. It's a weird thing when even if I know a wrestlers full career I like seing it back, there are always things that you know but you just no longer think of first when you think of a character, for instance that are great to see again. From the recent WWE monday night war show for example I enjoyed seing the Jericho forced rivalry vs Goldberg and Ralphus and co. liked the Orton vs Cena mactch retrospective (not the same thing I know but interesting to see just how many there were) and Lez be honest that Pollen one was a bit of fun

Couldn't agree more about the Susan G Kolman bit even though ive not really seen it highlighted elsewhere, think many people are afraid to speak ill of something related to a breast cancer research thing in any way but suggesting alternatives etc was the way to go and finishing it with buy our T-Shirt made me laugh fo sho

• Advertisement

Cheers brah! Retrospectives are the most intensive parts to edit but I'm real happy with how they turn out :) I've been going back and forth talking Lesbian Pollen on twitter for a bit, hope it was a fun diversion. I forget how smutty wrestling was post-Attitude Era.

Komen I could rant for hours about! businesses using cancer for insane profits really ticks me off. I just wish WWE had another partner. Also maybe do something more relevant to it's audience, like prostate or bowel cancer. It's not as "sexy" aka marketable as breast cancer though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

They should interview you Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

Only found these shows the other day, really enjoyable stuff!

Would love a review of Mania 17 or Invasion!

Ah after 2 days and 4 sittings, I got through Night Of Champions and the Raw the night after so I can finally watch the Brucie Bonus show you guys made.
    All that pro American stuff WWE does, well for years now I call that Americaballs. It's as tough to pay attention to as the divas matches for me. But for the 1st time in a long time I got emotionally invested in a WWE match during Night Of Champions! Hearing Lilian Garcia sing and watching the tears streaming down Mark Henrys face , I wanted to see Rusev win so much!
    No Wyatts on NOC or Raw so that made it even harder to watch!
    Oh and Cena vs Orton for the last match on Raw! Wow!
    I will leave it there and see what you guys said about it. I know this all happened at the end of September but for me, it happened today!
    I'll watch your show tomorrow, I've had way too much WWE today.

I still love wrestling, but in small doses these days. For me at least, it makes it a lot better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Buy our T-Shirt! :)

Hey lads, we're running a competition on our facebook page to give away free tickets to leggo's WWE Parties showing of the Survivor Series! Winners will be picked at 8pm so please check it out here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Already entered... I'm the hilarious one :P

Cheers, we've picked the winners! Will take a day to get back to the lucky ones :)

WWE's OCULUS - OSW Film Review!

With OOC in America, Jay & V1 are taking time out to do some movie & game reviews!
    This time it's a WWE Studios partially-funded horror film about an evil mirror, starring Karen Gillan (Amy from Dr. Who!)
    Lemme know what you think :)

15784194512_0fd8febc4a_o.jpg

WATCH: Oculus!
    MORE: Written Reviews!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Enjoying these smaller episodes Jay! Feeling spoiled!

Advertisement