Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2011 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Well with Sony announcing that the PS4 is in development theres a chance of a reveal but its highly unlikely. Just avoid another conference like this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

iMuse wrote: »
    Well with Sony announcing that the PS4 is in development theres a chance of a reveal but its highly unlikely.

It takes years to make a console, microsoft started late last year, sony started early this year.
    2012 e3 reveal is earliest if they don't want to embarrass themselves by announcing a new console without showing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It takes years to make a console, microsoft started late last year, sony started early this year.
    if you honestly think they only started this year you're crazy

ive been saying it on here for the last 2 years that we'd see at LEAST 2 of the next gen consoles out before xmas 2012, and every single time people rolled out the "ten year life cycle" crap to poo poo it

the next xbox and the next ps would have been in devlopment for at least the last couple of years

i dont think we'll see a new ps or xbox at e3 this year, but i do think we'll see both in stores next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Helix wrote: »
    i dont think we'll see a new ps or xbox at e3 this year, but i do think we'll see both in stores next year

no there won't be any new home consoles at e3 besides Nintendo's wii succesor but I doubt the next Xbox or PS4 will be out next year,maybe revealed in 2012.Sony will be releasing the NGP next year,it hasn't a notion of making Europe in 2011 imo. The biggest question mark will be when the announcement of PS4/720 happens it depends on how well the next wii does.It would be bad buisness for Nintendo,Sony & Microsoft to release new consoles on top of one another like that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Agreed. I doubt Sony would bring out a new console when they've just brought out the move, and haven't even started using up the second layer on a blu-ray disk. There's no reason for a new console.

Plus they haven't their hands full with the NGP, PSPhone, Xperia etc. They're already at 'Sega' oversaturation point.

Same with Xbox; although they could use a disc with more storage. Put sure the Slim Xbox is only a year old. Their Kinect is brand new too.

Wii; they're about 2 years late but yeah hopefully they announce something. If we wait any longer then the new zelda will be on the Wii 2!

tbh i'm worried (i'm not actually worried!) Nintendo are going after the hardcore market, and not the amazing niche they carved out for themselves. Controllers with screens? Ahhh Gimmick!! But sure Nintendo know what we want before we know it; i'm sure they'll come up with something good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

jaykhunter wrote: »
    tbh i'm worried (i'm not actually worried!) Nintendo are going after the hardcore market, and not the amazing niche they carved out for themselves. Controllers with screens? Ahhh Gimmick!! But sure Nintendo know what we want before we know it; i'm sure they'll come up with something good.

Probably best not, I mean, we all saw how well the Gamecube worked out.
    All of the 'hardcore' reasons to buy that console were hastily ported to
    other machines.

GTR63 wrote: »
    It would be bad buisness for Nintendo,Sony & Microsoft to release new consoles on top of one another like that.

itd be even worse business to give your competitors any sort of head start in getting an installed user base built up

sony learned that this generation

Agreed. I doubt Sony would bring out a new console when they've just brought out the move, and haven't even started using up the second layer on a blu-ray disk. There's no reason for a new console.

move and kinect were released with the intention of them being used for the next generation. think of them like xbox live when it came out ou the original xbox - this is the beta stage.
    Plus they haven't their hands full with the NGP, PSPhone, Xperia etc. They're already at 'Sega' oversaturation point.

only the ngp from that list is anything to do with playstation, the rest are sony ericsson. different companies.
    Same with Xbox; although they could use a disc with more storage. Put sure the Slim Xbox is only a year old. Their Kinect is brand new too.

see above about move
    Wii; they're about 2 years late but yeah hopefully they announce something. If we wait any longer then the new zelda will be on the Wii 2!

zelda universe on stream was confirmed yesterday
    Nintendo are going after the hardcore market

while it looks like that on the surface, they'll need this generation as a midway point in order to get the hardcore market back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If (and it's a big if) they were to be released next year they'd definitely be at E3 this year. They'll be teased for at least a year before release.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more with the NGP. All Sony have to do is have a PS2 PSN store with Final Fantasy X and I'm sold :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Yep, PS4 research is definitely underway, doubt we'll see it this E3, it's gonna be NGP all the way, and on that note it also appears that the NGP has it's it's innards slashed. Ah well, as long as it means it's reasonably priced!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hideo Kojima revealing some interesting un-news:

http://kotaku.com/5806200/will-metal-gear-solid-5-be-unveiled-at-e3-no
    Kojima's co-host read off a laundry list of rumors. Some of them, like if Kojima Productions developed that Dr. Lautrec game, were silly. Most of them were about Metal Gear. Here are the highlights:

• You'll be at the Microsoft E3 press conference: "No."
    • You'll announce MGS5 at this E3: "No."
    • MGS 3DS will go on sale at the end of 2011: "Yes."
    • The hero of MGS Rising is Gray Fox: "No."
    • MGS Rising's multiplayer is going to be on display: "No."
    • MGS Rising goes on sale on November 1, 2011: "No."
    • You're porting MGS4 to NGP: "No."
    • Next year, for Metal Gear's 25th anniversary, you're thinking of doing something big: "Yes."

Shame nobody asked him about non-Metal Gear solid stuff. Because Kojima-san doesn't have to make Metal Gear Solid anymore.
    Perhaps this means its more likely its a ZOE3 title or a new IP.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

TBH I can see any new Sony or M$ console being a hardware upgrade rather than a whole new machine. So a PS3.5 and a Xbox 360.5. We've already seen the existing consoles upgraded a few time but with no additional horse power.

So maybe the new machine can run the same games at 60p 30p @ 1080p.
    They'll still use the same controllers and other peripheral gimmicks.

Nintendo's effort will be a hardware alignment with these upgraded systems.

People have gotten used to upgrading their current consoles a couple of times with the high failure rates and newer versions with more storage etc. Perhaps there is a better market in evolution rather than revolution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Next gen console are gonna have to have alot more than just graphic improvements for me to jump ship, soo much ****e this generation with dlc crap , developers thinking we owe them than they owe us.

5uspect wrote: »
    $ony or M$
    FYP

Don't forget €A games either.

Helix wrote: »
    if you honestly think they only started this year you're crazy
    the next xbox and the next ps would have been in devlopment for at least the last couple of years
    MS advertised jobs to design a new home console late last year.
    If they needed someone to design a new console then, they hadn't it designed back then.
    The board in charge of the xbox division of MS haven't made up their minds on if they want to go the profit route or continue the loss route for the new console.
    Without that decided it's hard to believe they have anything.

Sony was discussed above this post.

I said wii2 in mid-to-late 2012 three or four years ago.
    I said PS4 and 720 2013-15 at latest.
    I can see 720 very late in 2012, but PS4 early 2013 at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 merc.ie

Valve to do a suprise announcement of Half life 3 :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't understand why people write $ony or M$ or whatever. EVERY company is after your damn money. It just depends if they put out a quality product or not. And most times they do!

Thanks Helix! Sony Ericcson are a different company? Isn't that dangerous? Or are they just gonna support with PS1 games and people who want to pirate emulators? .....is that a big market?

That's very interesting about move and kinect, shocking but makes perfect sense!

"zelda universe on stream was confirmed yesterday" OFF TO GOOGLE IT!

I get that Nintendo want the entire fanbase (casuals and hardcores) but casuals is what's keeping them in business. I can't imagine them ever again having as much horsepower as Sony or Microsoft. I'd be shocked if their next console is as good as the PS360.

Sometimes I wish Nintendo were a games-only developer. We'd still just get our 1 (maybe 2 big games per year) and get Zelda/Mario etc in at least 720p.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If they needed someone to design a new console then, they hadn't it designed back then.

It's the same deal with game devs they have a more permanent staff at the beginning working and at different milestones new staff are hire.

we dont know what the job was for exactly though, nor is it indicative of the work that had been done prior to the posting. do you HONESTLY only think ms started work on the follow up to the 360 from scratch late last year? honestly?
    The board in charge of the xbox division of MS haven't made up their minds on if they want to go the profit route or continue the loss route for the new console.
    Without that decided it's hard to believe they have anything.

ms will know where sony are, sony will know where ms are, nintendo will know where both are etc. if they were all sitting around twiddling their thumbs thered be no movement at all, never mind three confirmed console developments with one out in the next 9 months

• Advertisement

"zelda universe on stream was confirmed yesterday" OFF TO GOOGLE IT

It is an old ESRB rating for a website, people are silly geese though.
    I'm surprised someone said it was "confirmed" though...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gametrailers top 10 most anticipated games at E3

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-gt-countdown/714356

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It's very possible that job listing refers to the actual look of the console, as opposed to the hardware. In which case, they must have a fairly good idea of the final spec of the console, as they would need to know the approximate dimensions of the console needed to fit the hardware before they can go designing the look of it.

All ifs and buts of course.

One would assume microsoft want to get at least 1 year from the new disc format.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ha, brilliant :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really want to see some Thief 4 news and hope to god it isn't suffering from consolitis. Played Thief 1 recently and can honestly say it's my favourite FPS other than System Shock 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Konami's E3 press conference at 1am GMT.

http://konami.com/e3/

Pissed off that I won't be able to watch it live. Stupid work tomorrow.

I'll probably miss it as well but will be sure to watch it later to see if it tops the lunacy of last year.

• Advertisement

Let me know if ZOE3 shows up in any shape or form.

Advertisement