Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will The Queen Apologize for the Past?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A very legit target. Maybe we'll get her when she comes here.

She should say sorry for the past just like the IRA did, but whats she going to say? I'm sorry my country committed genocide against Ireland. If she said that it would be enough for me personally, will she? Not a chance.
    Pauleta wrote: »
    You're in the IRA? :confused:

I wonder would Athlone_Bhoy bob or sink if you throw him in the water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

What's the point in anyone ever apologising for anything if that sort of childish mindset is the basis for it.
    How is it? You expect the Queen to apologise for things which have happened and yet no one will come out and apologise what happened to him.

Its a valid question in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

KeithAFC wrote: »
    How is it? You expect the Queen to apologise for things which have happened and yet no one will come out and apologise what happened to him.

Its a valid question in my opinion.

No it isn't. Te Queen is a head of state.. the voice of its people. The IRA is an illegal group of subversives.. not the voice of the people of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

What difference will it make if she did, none. Ireland will still carry on creating great social iniquity without outside help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

The difference between an apology from lizzie and the IRA is that she officially represents a country as head of their military. The IRA officially represent nothing from Ireland. It would be like Saudi Arabia apologizing to the US for September 11th. So why should Ireland ever apologize for anything republicans have ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

A very legit target. Maybe we'll get her when she comes here.

must...not...feed...troll!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Full text of Irish Republican Army (IRA) statement of apology
    16 April 2002

"Sunday 21 July marks the 30th anniversary of an IRA operation in Belfast in 1972 which resulted in nine people being killed and many more injured.

While it was not our intention to injure or kill non-combatants, the reality is that on this and on a number of other occasions, that was the consequence of our actions.

It is therefore appropriate on the anniversary of this tragic event, that we address all of the deaths and injuries of non-combatants caused by us.

We offer our sincere apologies and condolences to their families.

There have been fatalities amongst combatants on all sides. We also acknowledge the grief and pain of their relatives.

The future will not be found in denying collective failures and mistakes or closing minds and hearts to the plight of those who have been hurt. That includes all of the victims of the conflict, combatants and non-combatants.

It will not be achieved by creating a hierarchy of victims in which some are deemed more or less worthy than others.

The process of conflict resolution requires the equal acknowledgement of the grief and loss of others. On this anniversary, we are endeavouring to fulfil this responsibility to those we have hurt.

The IRA is committed unequivocally to the search for freedom, justice and peace in Ireland.

We remain totally committed to the peace process and to dealing with the challenges and difficulties which this presents. This includes the acceptance of past mistakes and of the hurt and pain we have caused to others."

P O'Neill, Irish Republican Publicity Bureau, Dublin.

The statement from the IRA was received by An Phoblacht (Republican News) on Tuesday, 16 July:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Given that she's the English Queen I don't think she'll be using any American words, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-warn-of-road-closures-during-queens-visit-504678.html

They can fúck right off with this. Searches me bleeding hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The statement, signed by P O'Neill, as in all statements from the IRA leadership, said: "While it was not our intention to injure or kill non-combatants, the reality is that on this and on a number of other occasions, that was the consequence of our actions."
    It added: "It is, therefore, appropriate on the anniversary of this tragic event, that we address all of the deaths and injuries of non-combatants caused by us.
    "We offer our sincere apologies and condolences to their families.
    "There have been fatalities amongst combatants on all sides. We also acknowledge the grief and pain of their relatives."
    The IRA said the future would not be found in "denying collective failures and mistakes or closing minds and hearts to the plight of those who had been hurt. That includes all of the victims of the conflict, combatants and non-combatants.
    "It will not be achieved by creating a hierarchy of victims in which some are deemed more or less worthy than others."
    It said the process of conflict resolution required the equal acknowledgement of the grief and loss of others.
    "On this anniversary, we are endeavouring to fulfil this responsibility to those we have hurt." The statement said: "The IRA is committed unequivocally to the search for freedom, justice and peace in Ireland.
    "We remain totally committed to the peace process and to dealing with the challenges and difficulties which this presents. This includes the acceptance of past mistakes and of the hurt and pain we have caused to others."

I never saw that in full thanks for posting! Excellent apology hopefully the queen will manage one half as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Even if she did apologise, I reakon people would still find ways of blaming Charles, William and his offspring when they are King/Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

All right, heres the deal.

KeithAFC, if you speak about IRA, Real IRA, I can't believe it's not the IRA, The UVF, LVF,UDA etc etc. Basically anything about NI. You will be banned.

I have had it up to here *Points to tip top of head* with Loyalist/Republican tit for tat round about arguments.

Everyone is weary from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I never saw that in full thanks for posting! Excellent apology hopefully the queen will manage one half as good.

Was issued in 2002 in relation to Bloody Friday

Was issued in 2002 in relation to Bloody Friday

Well excellent apology as I said you wouldnt get much more out of either side after a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I hope she makes a heartfelt apology it might bring some closure to the whole conflict thing and allow people to move on!

I hope her visit passes off peacefully because every republican should realise that the path things are moving on in the north are heading for a united Ireland far more quickly than ever before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

lcrcboy wrote: »
    When the Queen arrives do you think she will Apologize for the past occupation or will she avoid the topic completely. Does she have to apologize because of what happened in the past or should she represent Britain's current understanding and recognition of Ireland, what do you think??

No.

Get over it.

orourkeda wrote: »
    No.

Get over it.

People dont have to get over anything they are entitled to feel how they like about perceived injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

All right, heres the deal.

KeithAFC, if you speak about IRA, Real IRA, I can't believe it's not the IRA, The UVF, LVF,UDA etc etc. Basically anything about NI. You will be banned.

I have had it up to here *Points to tip top of head* with Loyalist/Republican tit for tat round about arguments.

Everyone is weary from it.

the voice of reason...

Can't see anything "excellent" about it, to be honest. The "never our intention to kill innocents and non-combatants" is completely contradicted by their actions, and therefore renders the whole "apology" useless due to lack of credibility.

"We're sorry for deliberately putting live bombs near innocent people and know it was completely unacceptable" might have had some credibility.

What amuses me is the use of the phrase "the Queen", as if there was only one or as if she were "ours"; it's completely at odds with the sentiment being expressed by the OP.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Can't see anything "excellent" about it, to be honest. The "never our intention to kill innocents and non-combatants" is completely contradicted by their actions, and therefore renders the whole "apology" useless due to lack of credibility.

"We're sorry for deliberately putting live bombs near innocent people and know it was completely unacceptable" might have had some credibility.

What amuses me is the use of the phrase "the Queen", as if there was only one or as if she were "ours"; it's completely at odds with the sentiment being expressed by the OP.

I was cleary referring to queen beatrix :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ps in fairness during any war civilians were killed apologies like this are few and far between following conflicts like the one in the north.

People dont have to get over anything they are entitled to feel how they like about perceived injustice.

Fel however you like.

She's not apologising

Ps in fairness during any war civilians were killed apologies like this are few and far between following conflicts like the one in the north.

So? Still doesn't make it "excellent", and that's even accepting your use of that 3-letter-word for the sake of keeping the thread on-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I certainly hope she apologises for the Bronze Age. It was ****ing awful.

So? Still doesn't make it "excellent", and that's even accepting your use of that 3-letter-word for the sake of keeping the thread on-topic.

Well war is not always cleary labeled as war use the word conflict if you like.

Fel however you like.

She's not apologising

How do you know that :confused: I think you should give her more credit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

@!".

How do you know that :confused: I think you should give her more credit!

I dont but I'm willing to wager on it.

Besides, what exactly constitutes an apology.

"5 pounds ted"?

• Advertisement

Besides, what exactly constitutes an apology

Im sorry for the conlict between our two nations Im sorry for any suffering of irish people because of their religion, nationality or race under british rule would be an excellent one.

Advertisement