Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will The Queen Apologize for the Past?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

When the Queen arrives do you think she will Apologize for the past occupation or will she avoid the topic completely. Does she have to apologize because of what happened in the past or should she represent Britain's current understanding and recognition of Ireland, what do you think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I imagine she will.

I doubt it will make any difference to the average republican hardliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I hope she doesn't tbph, but reckon she will.. It would only be an empty gesture anyway and I doubt it will appease the people who're still very much hung up on history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,

MR. CONWAY TWITTY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If she goes to Croke Park she will

And that will be it, one statement at Croke Park

And the usual suspects here on boards will be demanding more

They'd want a sackcloth and ashes apology
    Oops! Where have I heard that phrase before ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

I can see a 'bart simpson' apology but I dont think it'll make any difference at this stage. Peoples minds are made up and some people are very much about their history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

lcrcboy wrote: »
    When the Queen arrives do you think she will Apologize for the past occupation or will she avoid the topic completely. Does she have to apologize because of what happened in the past or should she represent Britain's current understanding and recognition of Ireland, what do you think??

I'd be fairly certain by the end of her visit to Dublin it will be Irish people who'll be apologising. You don't need to be Nostradamus to know this visit is not going to be good for Ireland Inc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I hope she doesn't tbph, but reckon she will.. It would only be an empty gesture anyway and I doubt it will appease the people who're still hung up on history.

Should the japanese not have apologised to the chinese?
    Should the german people not have apologised for the crimes against the jewish peoples?
    Should austrailia not have apologised for their treatment of the first nation tribes in austraila?
    Should america not have apologised for their treatment of african peoples?

All these happened in the past yet they have been apologised for. There has been few apologies for the injustices and murders of the past in this Island north and south of the border. Many people who have lost family and friends in the north for example are still alive, an apology is needed. A statement like "people hung up on history" is born out of ignorance in paticular to the activities that went on in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

She probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Did the Queen fart or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Some people will not be happy no matter what she does. Time we moved on, stop living in the past.

• Advertisement

Many people who have lost family and friends in the north for example are still alive, an apology is needed. A statement like "people hung up on history" is born out of ignorance in paticular to the activities that went on in the north.
    Will the IRA apologise what they did to Lord Mountbatten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

It will be a well worded apology something like i'm sorry for the suffering the conflict between our two nations has caused!

If its at Croke Park she wont say i'm sorry for our lot coming in here and opening fire on everything that moved and then taking the moral high ground on world affairs.

Im not hung up on history but an apology is needed. Im not against her visit nor would I want more than an apology. Im happy that were building bonds with the British by showing them the bueaty of our Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

when we apoligise for invading the UK ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Randomer.

KeithAFC wrote: »

There wouldn't have been an IRA if it wasn't for the British Empire, so that point makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

A very legit target. Maybe we'll get her when she comes here.

She should say sorry for the past just like the IRA did, but whats she going to say? I'm sorry my country committed genocide against Ireland. If she said that it would be enough for me personally, will she? Not a chance.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Should the german people not have apologised for the crimes against the jewish peoples?
    Should austrailia not have apologised for their treatment of the first nation tribes in austraila?

All these happened in the past yet they have been apologised for. There has been few apologies for the injustices and murders of the past in this Island north and south of the border. Many people who have lost family and friends in the north for example are still alive, an apology is needed. A statement like "people hung up on history" is born out of ignorance in paticular to the activities that went on in the north.

Those are fair points. I'm sure the people who have lost loved ones would certainly welcome an apology. I still don't believe that any apology will be enough to appease the people who are most vocal in demanding one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

A very legit target. Maybe we'll get her when she comes here.

She should say sorry for the past just like the IRA did, but whats she going to say? I'm sorry my country committed genocide against Ireland. If she said that it would be enough for me personally, will she? Not a chance.

You're in the IRA? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

she might apologise :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

So anyone apologising for the murder of the people in the Birmingham Bombings, The Manchester Bombings, The London Bombings, The disappeared, in fact has anyone apologised.

I do recall the PM David Cameron apologising about the bloody Sunday in Derry but apologies in general seem very thin on the ground.

They should!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think it will go something like this;
    "We apologize for the great harm visited upon Ireland and if we had known what depths of destitution our careless inaction could lead to we would have made more effort to protect this land and not let it fall into the hands of the Gombeen King. Now can we please have our monogramed postboxes back, family property you know."
    Short and sweet.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So anyone apologising for the murder of the people in the Birmingham Bombings, The Manchester Bombings, The London Bombings, The disappeared, in fact has anyone apologised.

I do recall the PM David Cameron apologising about the bloody Sunday in Derry but apologies in general seem very thin on the ground.

As I said the Ira should apologise for all innocent people murdered, where did I say they shouldnt?

PS a lot of ira members have apologised for the killing of innocent peoples im still waiting on an apologies from many more groups in northern Ireland like some former members of the ruc to name one.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

As for the Mountbatten thing, I think they need to apologise for killing his family members and the young Irish boy too

What's the point in anyone ever apologising for anything if that sort of childish mindset is the basis for it.

Those are fair points. I'm sure the people who have lost loved ones would certainly welcome an apology. I still don't believe that any apology will be enough to appease the people who are most vocal in demanding one.

Some people wont be happy but I might get slack for this but I dont think the queen represents the worst elements of the British empire in fairness but as head of state an apology would be required.

They should!
    Thats why i asked the question Steddyeddy because we keep hearing about apologies and yet it seems one sided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Yes, hello..I think we got an official statement from Buckingham Palace, it says:

NEVA!!!

• Advertisement

Thats why i asked the question Steddyeddy because we keep hearing about apologies and yet it seems one sided.

The Ira should apologise for all innocent victims and civilian casualties which were not part of the war.

Advertisement