Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will The Queen Apologize for the Past?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

cosanostra wrote: »
    I hope she makes a heartfelt apology it might bring some closure to the whole conflict thing and allow people to move on!

I think this is a gas notion. Imagine Paddy ringing his friend :

" Mick, did you hear the news".
    " Wha, did we win the lottery in work ?."
    " Shag that - no, even better, Lizzie made an apology ".
    " You're not fu***ng serious".
    " Yes, and do you know what that means ? "
    " Not really !!!"

" CLOSURE "

" I can't believe it, I'm speechless. How do we follow that ?"

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

orourkeda wrote: »
    No.

Get over it.

I did not state an opinion in either direction so your point has no meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I don't think that she has anything to apologise for. I find it quite annoying when heads of state 'apologise' for things that they personally didn't have any control over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Im not hung up on history but an apology is needed. Im not against her visit nor would I want more than an apology. Im happy that were building bonds with the British by showing them the bueaty of our Island.

I hope she does. Personally I don't want her here and would (physically) turn my back to her if I she passed me by.

annascott wrote: »
    I don't think that she has anything to apologise for. I find it quite annoying when heads of state 'apologise' for things that they personally didn't have any control over.

She won't be apologising herself. She will be apologising as a representative of Britain. For the thuggery perpetrated on the Irish people down through the centuries.

• Advertisement

Im sorry for the conlict between our two nations Im sorry for any suffering of irish people because of their religion, nationality or race under british rule would be an excellent one.
    +1 to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I hope she does, it can only be positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

We should apologise for kidnapping St Patrick when he was just a young fella, and she in turn should apologise for him coming back to spread christianity - look at the mess it got us all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Dogdaysareover

The past is the past is the past is the past etc............

RMD wrote: »
    she'll have to say something, whether at her own will or heckling from journalists or the like. .

I sincerely doubt that the Irish media will heckle her somehow. They'll be too busy labelling everyone who is even the slightest bit indifferent to, or not bothered by the visit as "dissidents".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I sincerely doubt that the Irish media will heckle her somehow. They'll be too busy labelling everyone who is even the slightest bit indifferent to, or not bothered by the visit as "dissidents".

Vincent browne could heckle her :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

A real apology would involve removing British soldiers from Irish land.

Vincent browne could heckle her :P

NEWS JUST IN: Vincent Browne is a baby murdering provo dissident apologist - Sunday Indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭CitizenKeane

And 'living in the past'....
    The media love to trot out that we have 'matured as a nation' when they are giddy with excitement over the Queen's visit (or any Irish-British event).
    In fact, it's a sign of immaturity.
    If we were mature, we wouldn't be particularly bothered either way about the visit of a neighbouring Head of State.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Will the IRA apologise what they did to Lord Mountbatten?

Do you think the IRA and the head of the British state are comparable?

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Do you think the IRA and the head of the British state are comparable?

Exactly, the IRA were not representatives of the Irish state or an official state organisation.
    That's like expecting the Queen to apologise for murders of Billy Wright and the UVF - nobody expects that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I hope she does. Personally I don't want her here and would (physically) turn my back to her if I she passed me by.

She'll probably be glad to see the back of you.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I hope she doesn't. No need to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I don't think the gardai really have any authority to search you just because you are in the same area as the queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Don't think so, she is probably glad ireland isn't part of the commonwealth anymore

• Advertisement

I hope she doesn't. No need to either.

Fair enough if you think she doesn't need to.
    But why would you actually hope that she doesn't? You're suggesting you'd be disappointed if she did. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Fair enough if you think she doesn't need to.
    But why would you actually hope that she doesn't? You're suggesting you'd be disappointed if she did. Why?

Well I hope she doesn't because there is no need. And I wouldn't be disappointed, I just don't really give a shit!
    I don't see why people are hoping or wanting her to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

A very legit target. Maybe we'll get her when she comes here.

Going to attack her from behind your computer are you?

Keyboard warriors are funny, but IRA keyboard warriors are f*cking hilarious.

Well I hope she doesn't because there is no need. And I wouldn't be disappointed, I just don't really give a shit!

I'm not particularly bothered whether she does or doesn't. It won't make a difference to me, but I can see why many other people would want her to and I think it would be a good thing.
    She's the Head of the British Armed Forces, and as such it would be her place to apologise for the wrongs they committed.
    It doesn't mean you hold her personally responsible, or that she's apologising in a personal capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

tbh I can understand why some people would genuinely welcome an apology from her.. and be willing to reciprocate the sentiment.. I've a feeling that others might see it as a full acceptance of blame and use it to perpetuate their own ideologies without ever acknowledging it for what it's supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Because it would mean a lot to people have have suffered under british rule. I wasnt affected by austrailias treatment of aborigines but I was happy to see an apology to the people affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

For centuries, to escape the ravages of english soldiery, Irish women had to climb trees to hide. As a result, they have evolved very long, hairy, toes. I want, therefore, an apology from Mrs Windsor, for the long hairy toes of Irish women. I think it only fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The word on the wires is that the worlds journos only want to be in one place...Croke Park. So I reckon the word is out that something of significance will happen there.
    She believes in the 'divine right of Kings and Queens' and she believes that when she speaks, she speaks for her people and her government and as long as they (her government) withhold information about crimes committed here (Dublin/Monaghan bombings etc) then her visit is unwelcome and her apology on behalf of her Government and people is hollow. JMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I wonder if her apology will sound like this ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

A genuine question- do people not have more important sh*t to be worrying about than whether Lizzie apologises for things that she as a *figurehead* had nothing to do with?

Before the smart ass replies kick in, I'm a student so no.

But seriously, in the last week, a leading economist has suggested that we turn our back on the EU/IMF bailout and cut our deficit to zero this year, unemployment remains stubbornly high, and people are emigrating in their droves. What do the good denizans of AH get worked up about, an elderly woman who never fired a shot in the bogside, nor planted bombs in Dublin, yet is expected to apologise for this and more. I give up.

Advertisement