Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you dont have ubersampling enabled, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Not mad about the HUD as i got used to Witcher 1 layout :p

Actually whats the map like on the pc version? It's horrendous on the xbox, pretty sure i'm going to pick up the PC version.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

you dont have ubersampling enabled, do you?

Tried Ultra/High and medium and ran like a dog, will try turning that off later.
    Actually whats the map like on the pc version? It's horrendous on the xbox, pretty sure i'm going to pick up the PC version.

No idea havent got far enough to look at it :(

Its 16 quid on G2play.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Tried Ultra/High and medium and ran like a dog, will try turning that off later.

No idea havent got far enough to look at it :(

Its 16 quid on G2play.

ubersampling is a pc killer
    afaik it's only intended for machines whos number of graphics cards would reach the moon if lined up one after another

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You'll notice a massive difference with ubersampling off. I thought my new pc would be more then enough for it, but it still struggles when it's turned on. Looks and runs great once i switched it off though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Übersampling is just a misery for me.

I thought I have quite a powerful pc by today's standards and with that damn thing on my pc runs like a dog. Plus I don't see any difference at all.
    What does it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ubersampling off and game runs perfectly in Ultra settings.

Getting my arse kicked in fights tho by bleedin Nekkers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Act 2 troubles :(
    The very beginning, defending the king from the spectres - man Im getting buttsecked.. everything just wittles away my health, theres no opportunity to drink any potions beforehand, and its just so long.. thought I was doing well killing the guy at the end of Act 1, but geez, this is tough..!

I have 2 talents unspent though, so am experimenting with different combinations - with varying sucess... the dodge one is very handy, so I think thats one. But could do with one to up my survivability, maybe the backstab one..? Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Did anybody else find this game very short. And the story just seemed to stop when it just started to expand. Also the main enemy, the assassin himself was the typical videogame type. Great game apart from these things. the end just ruined it for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

cursai wrote: »
    Did anybody else find this game very short. And the story just seemed to stop when it just started to expand. Also the main enemy, the assassin himself was the typical videogame type. Great game apart from these things. the end just ruined it for me though.

How so? He's very different if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Compared to the first it was very short. I liked the ending, really wasn't an ending though it was a build up for the next game. Loved that the endings were actually different and not just different colours. Iorveth path is definately better.

BTW the succubus scene was one of the funniest things I've send in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

No and I'd normally be the 1st to cry foul on a short game, and I haven't even started my Roche play through yet.

I'm not trying to be smart/ "hipster" gamer here and I hate when others do this too, but really i think you missed the point if you though Letho was typical sure
    He is not even the real bad guy of the game, a pawn / tool nothing more, albeit a willing one

BTW the succubus scene was one of the funniest things I've send in a while.

You leave Danidlion to her aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

calex71 wrote: »
    No and I'd normally be the 1st to cry foul on a short game, and I haven't even started my Roche play through yet.

I'm not trying to be smart/ "hipster" gamer here and I hate when others do this too, but really i think you missed the point if you though Letho was typical sure
    He is not even the real bad guy of the game, a pawn / tool nothing more, albeit a willing one

You leave Danidlion to her aswell :D

What I mean is the assassin loomed like he belonged in gears of war. After I best him, which was too easy. I was expecting to go on a long journey to finish the rest of the quest but then it just ended. That said I haven't done the elven route yet. Will give it a shot during the week.

What I mean is the assassin loomed like he belonged in gears of war. After I best him, which was too easy. I was expecting to go on a long journey to finish the rest of the quest but then it just ended. That said I haven't done the elven route yet. Will give it a shot during the week.

I kinda see where you're coming from there alright, for me it wasn't that it was too short more it left me wanting the next one right way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Man cd projekt Don't make it easy to patch there game :mad:

I keep getting a error where it says " connection Refused " And i aint the only one getting it ........

Now i have to download each file individually and i know i'm gonna do something stupid and c**k it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Decided to go back to this again and straight away i can remember why I gave up during the first chapter. Want to remember what keys you should be using for the clunky combat? Sure you could go looking in options> controls like any other PC game. but that would far too utilitarian, so the keys are in the journal entries, with the various other controls segregated into their own little entries. Along with the very pretty but completely obtuse menu system it makes for a much more enjoyable experience. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Bambi wrote: »
    Decided to go back to this again and straight away i can remember why I gave up during the first chapter. Want to remember what keys you should be using for the clunky combat? Sure you could go looking in options> controls like any other PC game. but that would far too utilitarian, so the keys are in the journal entries, with the various other controls segregated into their own little entries. Along with the very pretty but completely obtuse menu system it makes for a much more enjoyable experience. :o

Just use a Xbox controller.
    People say that the game plays better with one.........

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

blobby360 wrote: »
    Just use a Xbox controller.
    People say that the game plays better with one.........

A controller? Urrghh..How dare you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've just started playing on the 360 and I'm really enjoying it so far. I thought the prologue was done really well (like telling a story), and was a good way to get into the game. Combat so far is mediocre; casting the protection spell and sword-fighting is all that I've needed so far. I'm hoping that it gets a bit more difficult as I could see it getting boring. The story and voice acting are excellent!

Noticed a small bug when I was wandering outside Floatsam. I was fighting some sort of monster and just as I was about to deliver the final blow the monster stopped attacking me, turned around slowly and walked away. After it got about 5 foot clear of me, it just vanished. The same thing happens with most of the dead bodies, but usually they only disappear when I look away - I hate when they do that in games.

Notorious wrote: »
    I've just started playing on the 360 and I'm really enjoying it so far. I thought the prologue was done really well (like telling a story), and was a good way to get into the game. Combat so far is mediocre; casting the protection spell and sword-fighting is all that I've needed so far. I'm hoping that it gets a bit more difficult as I could see it getting boring. The story and voice acting are excellent!

Noticed a small bug when I was wandering outside Floatsam. I was fighting some sort of monster and just as I was about to deliver the final blow the monster stopped attacking me, turned around slowly and walked away. After it got about 5 foot clear of me, it just vanished. The same thing happens with most of the dead bodies, but usually they only disappear when I look away - I hate when they do that in games.

Can't say I noticed that on the 360 to be honest did you install the game to the hard disk, I'm on my second play through at the moment so now you mentioned it I'll be constantly rotating the camera to look for it :D

Combat does improve a little , but for me the game was more about the story and characters so I could overlook the combat issues...... well when I was playing on easy I could, playing on Dark for my "Roach" Playthrough and getting destroyed in 2 hits, I'm only on the prologue so if I tough it out to act one I should be ok. That said as it's my 2nd play so I know what awaits me in act 1 and am sure there will be at least 2 encounters that will result in instant death for me and many a reload on this setting :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

calex71 wrote: »
    Can't say I noticed that on the 360 to be honest did you install the game to the hard disk, I'm on my second play through at the moment so now you mentioned it I'll be constantly rotating the camera to look for it :D

Yup, I've got it installed. The monster disappearing just before I killed it was a once off, but most of the dead bodies did disappear through the Prologue. They just leave their small bag of items behind.
    Combat does improve a little , but for me the game was more about the story and characters so I could overlook the combat issues......

I'd generally be on the same lines as yourself, but I do like a bit of a challenge at the same time. I presume the Dark difficulty is unlocked once you complete the game? I'll definitely give that a try.

Notorious wrote: »

I'd generally be on the same lines as yourself, but I do like a bit of a challenge at the same time. I presume the Dark difficulty is unlocked once you complete the game? I'll definitely give that a try.

No you can pick it from the start, but has to be at the start and if you lower the difficultly later you lose access to the armor sets you can obtain later on Dark.

I'm finding it more than a challenge to be honest, more frustrating having to reload and take multiple attempts at each enemy encounter. As I said I know what lies ahead of me in act one and I'm dreading one beast in particular, who will no doubt one shot kill me, so if I make it to act one on dark and it proves to be as frustrating I'll bump it down to easy just so I can get on and do the alternate story arc in peace and enjoy it :o

The story and high quality voice acting in this made it a very good experience over all , and it's my #1 game this year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Any hints for a first time Witcher gamer? Just finished the training, told me to select hard difficulty, so I did, and died twice in the following assault... Think I might put it down a notch.

I've read a few reports that the comedy is very good in this, and I laughed a good bit when I saw tge Assassins Creed reference, along with the smart comment, best moment so far!

Plus, any game that comes with an accompanying map that was bewbs on it and shows a bit of bush in one of the first few fmvs is already ranking high in my book, already sets itself apart from most other "adult" games (not that full blown nudity is necessary, it's just nice to see developers including it).

just keep your eyes and ears open, you'll see/hear a few funny things as you wander through the world

so long since I played it I can't offer any gameplay tips other than think before you act, if you're presented with a choice in game.. it's likely going to have consequences and there's probably not a "right" answer

Any hints for a first time Witcher gamer? Just finished the training, told me to select hard difficulty, so I did, and died twice in the following assault... Think I might put it down a notch.

I've read a few reports that the comedy is very good in this, and I laughed a good bit when I saw tge Assassins Creed reference, along with the smart comment, best moment so far!

Plus, any game that comes with an accompanying map that was bewbs on it and shows a bit of bush in one of the first few fmvs is already ranking high in my book, already sets itself apart from most other "adult" games (not that full blown nudity is necessary, it's just nice to see developers including it).

Played the right way this game is like if HBO made a Dragon Age game :D

so I've finally gotten around to playing this through again with the enchanced edition stuff

I'm having the same problem I originally had though when I first played it, the mouse controls are all sorts of ****ed up.
    I have mouse smoothing disabled in user.ini, I have vsync turned off.. blur and whatnot are disabled, the game is running fine.. but the mouse speeds are all over the place. it's either way way too slow, or just too fast.. I can't find a decent middle ground and I forget how I did it the first time around

anyone know what i'm talking about and got any suggestions? really want to give this a play but this is wrecking my head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

I just got this game, I cant wait to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I never played the first game but really starting to enjoy the sequel and by reading everything I'm starting to follow the story (my reason for playing it). I love the way your choices have consequences and I know the choice I'm coming up to on act 1 splits the story arc.

From people who completed both sides which was the better story arc or was there much difference without giving to much away? :)

I never played the first game but really starting to enjoy the sequel and by reading everything I'm starting to follow the story (my reason for playing it). I love the way your choices have consequences and I know the choice I'm coming up to on act 1 splits the story arc.

From people who completed both sides which was the better story arc or was there much difference without giving to much away? :)

I'm playing the other arc myself at the minute, so far Iorveths was the better of the two. If you don't plan on playing on Dark for an achievement I suggest making a save at the point of no return in Act I, save you having to replay those bits unless you want to make different choices. The point is very obvious.

The reason I say Iorveths was better is likely because it was the path I naturally picked, so go with gut when offered a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone using a Dualshock.

I have MotioninJoy set up and it works fine in everything apart from this game, when i change it to 360 pad emulation it works but from looking on the control bindings it has PS3 control symbols.

Any way to have the right prompts show up if they are in the game.

Advertisement