Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What really happened Osama bin Laden

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

He died years ago
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    John Brennan said they monitored the operation in realtime. Realtime is the same as live.
    Indeed, but there's a big difference between 'monitored in real time' and 'watched it live on HDTV'.

In addition, I'd point out the the photo may have shown Billary Clinton yawning or something, and whoever is in charge of these things in the White House press conference thought it conveyed the tone they were looking for.

He died years ago
    Are you seriously saying that there are not a lot of people making money from CTs?
    I would suggest that is a good topic for a new thread - I would definitely have an opinion on the subject. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Indeed, but there's a big difference between 'monitored in real time' and 'watched it live on HDTV'.

In addition, I'd point out the the photo may have shown Billary Clinton yawning or something, and whoever is in charge of these things in the White House press conference thought it conveyed the tone they were looking for.

Who said anything about 'watched it live on HDTV'? I was responding to fontanalis who stated that he believed the media had claimed it was live. Classic strawman.

He died years ago
    Who said anything about 'watched it live on HDTV'? I was responding to fontanalis who stated that he believed the media had claimed it was live. Classic strawman.
    Ok, but what are you arguing then? I didn't intend to counter a strawman - but my point stands; 'monitoring live' does not necessarily mean watching live pictures. It could be something as simple as listening to the mission commander talking to the guys on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

He died years ago

What strawman? The pictures that everyone was familiar with showed them watching what most people would assume was some sort of feed and I assumed it was live. to be honest i don't recall any media outlet (apart from a sky news link posted earlier) saying it was live, mistake on my part. But I still don't get the fuss that it was beiong watched with some time delay. Sure as hell doesn't stand up to the hoax or fake charges being thrown around.

• Advertisement

Ok, but what are you arguing then? I didn't intend to counter a strawman - but my point stands; 'monitoring live' does not necessarily mean watching live pictures. It could be something as simple as listening to the mission commander talking to the guys on the ground.

I know, I never ever said they were watching live pictures. You're the one arguing with me over this!!

Step 1: Fontanalis stated As far as I'm aware it was media outlets who claimed it was live.
    Step 2: I simply stated that it was John Brennan who said it was in realtime i.e. live, not the media.
    Step 3: You came in and went on about watching it on HDTV, where I was only correcting fontanalis on his incorrect belief as to the source of the "live" claim.

That was all. Now your trying to drive me towards a direction that has nothing to do with the point of information I was correcting for fontanalis.

He died years ago
    Step 2: I simply stated that it was John Brennan who said it was in realtime i.e. live, not the media.
    Ok, that's cleared that up then. Forums are a wonderful medium for miscommunication, don't you think? :)

Ok, that's cleared that up then. Forums are a wonderful medium for miscommunication, don't you think? :)

No wonder the US story has so many "miscommunications" in it?? :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

He is alive and well somewhere
    She has said she may have just been trying to suppress a cough in this photo. It seems that whenever anyone tries to paint a picture of the White House been over dramatic about this whole story it doesn't work as Obama et al have been quite reserved and understated about it all.

Again apologies for going off topic I just think this is quite a remarkable statement and will try to tie it in with the topic. Are you seriously saying that there are not a lot of people making money from CTs? There is not a major event in the world that doesn't fall prey to theories and there is not a single way that bin Laden's death could have taken place without books and websites claiming it was the result of a conspiracy and people making money from that conspiracy.

See here for my response...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72059006&postcount=9

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

He died years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-13313201

Al Qauda says bin Laden is dead

• Advertisement

He died years ago
    Al Qauda says bin Laden is dead
    This conspiracy gets bigger and bigger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Excerpts:
    The statement published on jihadist web forums, signed by "the general leadership" of al-Qaeda, said an audiotape would be released of Bin Laden speaking a week before his death.

I don't think that'll satisfy those who believe he's been dead quite some time now.
    "Their happiness will turn into sorrow, and their blood will be mixed with their tears. We call upon our Muslim people in Pakistan, on whose land Sheikh Osama was killed, to rise up and revolt."

Sweet Moha[censored]... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Has anyone else actually reported seeing him shot? I know the 12 year old daughter says she did - but she says he was 'taken outside and shot'...this isn't an eye witness account.

I'm sure this has been touched on already, but I think the facts that have came out over the last couple of days make the scenario more likely that he's simply been abducted and is being held and questioned somewhere.

Why kill the most high value intelligence target for no reason - there wasn't even any resistance in the compound? Surely it would be worth it to extract him, kill everyone else, pretend you've killed him and take him off to a bunker somewhere in Yemen for a nice cosy waterboarding session to extract everything he knows.

I think capturing him alive would be a bad idea, people had to believe he was killed for any worth to come from his capture. They can have all the access they want to him using any method they see fit, then just really throw him in the ocean and nobody's the wiser. The fact they're not releasing photo's obviously aids this - or who knowws if the pressure keeps up and they eventually 'leak' the photos they could be taken 3 minutes beforehand!

They kept the Husseins bodies for 11 days - nobody gave a f'uck about Muslim tradition then.

I just dont buy it - that the highest value intelliegnce target they're ever likely to get in the context of the 'war on terror'...and they put a bullet in his face...no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

This conspiracy gets bigger and bigger!

TBF, I think even if they did think he was alive they'd still say he was dead. You dont want the Jihadist's in cells all over the west thinking they're leader is spouting their whereabout while having his fingernails pulled out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

He died years ago

As if that would keep the CT crowd happy.
    Reminds me of the Life of Brian, I'm not the Messiah, alright I am the Messiah etc.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

He died years ago
    gman2k wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Life of Brian, I'm not the Messiah, alright I am the Messiah etc.....

Duh. Everyone knows Al Qaeda are a CIA front!

Al Qaeda! More like Al QCIAqa

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Log Lady

Priori wrote: »
    I voted that I was unsure, or 'open to all possibilities'. The following is of course just my own opinion, and plenty of good contributions (again, in my own opinion) I have left out. I simply wanted to compile the best posts from this thread, as I saw it, to enable other users to get up to speed.

Just hope it might be of help to some users, that's all, as I know how headache inducing it can be to go straight through more than 30 pages from a single thread without stopping (like I just have! - think I need some panadol). The fact that a lot of the contributions I've picked out happen to be those from moderators is completely incidental - I promise this isn't some sort of exercise in brown-nosing! :)

Post #206 - Wibbs

Post #241 - yekahS

Post #285 - yekahS

Post #286 - nullzero

Post #313 - Di0genes

Post #321 - yehahS

Post #337 - uncleoswald

Post #346 - Monty Burnz

Post #446 - Chipboard

Post #463 - humanji

Post #465 - Chipboard

If this post seems presumptuous, or in breach of etiquette, then please ignore it. I'm just contributing it to help out, as I see it.

Cheers for that Priori, nice compilation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Only thing that makes me happy is evidence. And the only thing that makes me unhappy is the removal of evidence.

Only thing that makes me happy is proof. Only thing that makes me unhappy is excuses for lack of proof.

Not too much to ask is it?

"Daddy, I don't believe in Santa"

"That's coz I fücked him into the sea, son"

"Why did you do that, Daddy?"

"Shut up and just believe what I say"

"But <<WHACK>>!"

Why no autopsy or follow up on Bin Laden's assassinaton? Why nothing at all?

Oh, and gman....would you make such mature little statements if you were in a jury room and someone just couldn't be convinced of that with which they'd been presented? Would you scamper around the room quipping like some little spiv, impatient to the fact that they aren't sure?

That how you operate? You're decision, and then infantile little jibes for anyone who doesn't frolick along with you? And then on top of that, adolescent references to low-grade slap-stick and farce comedy as if to lend credence to a very serious issue.

The LIFE OF BRIAN???

Do you have any other throwaway cliches, slogans and pregnant puns? Anything from the football terraces or maybe even from Viz comic? Maybe even a classic Beavis and Buttheat gem?

<Edit: user was banned for this comment>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Why no autopsy?
    I'd imagine that they are comfortable with the cause of death being a bullet in the head....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

adolescent references to low-grade slap-stick and farce comedy as if to lend credence to a very serious issue.

The Life of Brian....grade slap-stick and farce comedy ....:confused::mad:

BLASPHEMER:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭jakdelad

FISMA wrote: »
    Slan Agus Abhaille!

Conspiracy no more!

Already confirmed by several news sources that the US in in possession of his remains.
    IRELAND has named a new whisky drink after bin laden
    its called the osama 2 shots and some water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

Strong suggestion here that the Bin laden Vids are fake..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

jakdelad wrote: »
    IRELAND has named a new whisky drink after bin laden
    its called the osama 2 shots and some water

Ohh man, the bad comedy forum is that way^^^^^^^, the comedy injected into the last couple of post's is hilarious and all, but let's not start a trend.

Good video Talk E, surely they will identify the others killed in the house, the pics are out there, somebody has names for them.

GRAPHIC IMAGES OF OSAMA'S DEAD BUDDIES

Living in a military town, they would have had to be known, papers shown, stopped by police, army, military police, the amount of possible attacks they faced (Pakistan Military) would have been something they would have been very conscious of, there's no way that compound would have been ignored, now Obomber want's to know who was hiding him...........

He should ask Bush!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

One of them appears to be Snoop Dog :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Di0genes wrote: »
    Duh. Everyone knows Al Qaeda are a CIA front!

Al Qaeda! More like Al QCIAqa

Dude, even Robin Cook said that Al Qaeda is a fiction, the name of a database in the ME, not a terrorist cell.

Why does nobody bring up the fact that it was reported in the press on St. Stephen's Day 2001 that Bin Laden was dead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

He died years ago
    Dude, even Robin Cook said that Al Qaeda is a fiction, the name of a database in the ME, not a terrorist cell.

In October last year, an item appeared on an authoritative Russian studies website that soon had the science-fiction community buzzing with speculative excitement. It asserted that Isaac Asimov's 1951 classic Foundation was translated into Arabic under the title "al-Qaida". And it seemed to have the evidence to back up its claims.

The Arabic word qaida - ordinarily meaning "base" or "foundation" - is also used for "groundwork" and "basis". It is employed in the sense of a military or naval base, and for chemical formulae and geometry: the base of a pyramid, for example. Lane, the best Arab-English lexicon, gives these senses: foundation, basis of a house; the supporting columns or poles of a structure; the lower parts of clouds extending across a horizon; a universal or general rule or canon. With the coming of the computer age, it has gained the further meaning of "database": qaida ma'lumat (information base).

Qaida itself comes from the root verb q-'-d : to sit down, remain, stay, abide. Many people appear to think al-Qaida's name emerged from some idea of a physical base - a command centre from where Bin Laden and other leaders could direct operations. "We've got to get back to al-Qaida on that one," it's possible to imagine a footsoldier saying. Bin Laden himself has spoken, post-September 11, of being in "a very safe place". There have also been stories that his father had a vernal estate called al-Qaida in Yemen or Saudi Arabia. Could there be a sense in which the name of the organisation represents a notion of the eternal home in the consciousness of its fugitive leader?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2002/aug/24/alqaida.sciencefictionfantasyandhorror

In Arabic, al-Qaeda has four syllables (Arabic pronunciation: [ælˈqɑːʕɪdɐ]). However, since two of the Arabic consonants in the name (the voiceless uvular plosive [q] and the voiced pharyngeal fricative [ʕ]) are not phones found in the English language, the closest naturalized English pronunciations include /ælˈkdə/, /ælˈkdə/ and /ˌælkɑːˈdə/.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I al-Qaeda's name can also be transliterated as al-Qaida, al-Qa'ida, el-Qaida, or al-Qaeda.[42]
    The name comes from the Arabic noun qā'idah, which means foundation or basis, and can also refer to a military base. The initial al- is the Arabic definite article the, hence the base.[43]
    Bin Laden explained the origin of the term in a videotaped interview with Al Jazeera journalist Tayseer Alouni in October 2001:
    The name 'al-Qaeda' was established a long time ago by mere chance. The late Abu Ebeida El-Banashiri established the training camps for our mujahedeen against Russia's terrorism. We used to call the training camp al-Qaeda. The name stayed.[44]
    It has been argued that two documents seized from the Sarajevo office of the Benevolence International Foundation prove that the name was not simply adopted by the mujahid movement and that a group called al-Qaeda was established in August 1988. Both of these documents contain minutes of meetings held to establish a new military group, and contain the term "al-Qaeda".[45]
    Former British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook wrote that the word al-Qaeda should be translated as "the database", and originally referred to the computer file of the thousands of mujahideen militants who were recruited and trained with CIA help to defeat the Russians.[46] In April 2002, the group assumed the name Qa'idat al-Jihad, which means "the base of Jihad". According to Diaa Rashwan, this was "apparently as a result of the merger of the overseas branch of Egypt's al-Jihad (Egyptian Islamist Jihad, or EIJ) group, led by Ayman El-Zawahiri, with the groups Bin Laden brought under his control after his return to Afghanistan in the mid-1990s."[47]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda#Etymology

The truth nyarlothothep is always a shade more complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Alex Jones take on events whatever you think of the man it's interesting as always....

Advertisement