Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Wedding Mega Thread! Mod warning post 364.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Designers react to Kate's dress, McQueen was a wonderful choice more comparisons to Grace Kelly. :)

– Designers around the world tuned into the watch the royal wedding, and discover Catherine Middleton’s dress by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen.

Many cited likeness to bridal gowns worn by Queen Elizabeth and Grace Kelly, and remarked on its traditional allure.

Broadcasting live on France 2 television, Karl Lagerfeld said: “She is very elegant. The dress is classic and goes very well in the Westminster decor. It almost reminds me of (Queen) Elizabeth’s wedding, the royal weddings in the Fifties. The proportion of the train is good. The lace is very pretty. I like the veil a lot.”

Here’s what other designers had to say:

Christian Lacroix: “I like the dress very much, simpler than expected: A combination just in between 1956 Grace Kelly and 1947 Queen Elizabeth dress. I love the modest veil with the Queen Mother’s Thirties scroll tiara and balanced volume of the whole gown. She’s radiant; She never was so beautiful. And Prince William’s red Irish uniform is gorgeous.”

Hubert de Givenchy: “The dress is very simple and very nice. The veil is a little flat, but because she has such a lovely face, she can afford to wear it this way. She is very pretty.” About choosing a dress from McQueen, whose founder committed suicide last year, De Givenchy said: “It’s a lovely thought, a nice tribute.”

Peter Copping of Nina Ricci: “Very much in a royal tradition, reminiscent of Queen Elizabeth’s – and a little bit Grace Kelly. She looks happy, radiant and natural.”

Donatella Versace: "Kate's dress was beautiful. She looked very regal."

Viktor & Rolf: “Kate’s dress was simply elegant. Her hair down was a beautiful and natural touch, and the tiara was stunning. She looked as at-ease as humanly possible and was radiant. Our compliments.”

Elie Saab: “It was a very elegant dress, subtly refined and discreet, in keeping with her style. I would have liked it even more with a little extra volume and a longer train.”

Ann-Sofie Johansson, head of design at H&M: "Kate Middleton’s dress is beautiful. She looks absolutely stunning today at the royal wedding. The lace together with the long sleeves really showed the craftsmanship and hours of work that has gone into creating a dress like this. The dress suits Kate Middleton perfectly and Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen surely lived up to my expectations. I also think that the lovely flower bouquet will set the trend for many brides to be"

Mark Badgley of Badgley Mischka, speaking for hinself and James Mischka: "James and I have goose bumps! The dress is perfection; and will stand the test of time. It is a classic Grace Kelly look. The skirt is divine. We love the hair down and the veil. The proportion is beautiful."

Antonio Marras, Kenzo: “McQueen was a brilliant choice. The choice of the label and the style of the dress was a very clever mix between edgy fashion and tradition - all in a very British way. You could see references to Grace Kelly or Queen Elizabeth's dresses, but in a simpler, more modern way. I loved her hair down. It looked perfectly natural and noble. Truly royal."

Alexis Mabille: “Kate’s dress is a classic, very elegant and pure…. It reminds me of Princess Grace’s wedding dress in a modern version with deeper cleavage, the draping at the back in reference to McQueen.”

Dennis Basso: "I love that dress. It epitimiizes the modern bride: covered, but still sexy with its tight bodice. The lace overlay and the covered-up look will certainly set a trend."

Ralph Rucci of Chado Ralph Rucci, who noted the dropped torso and panel construction of the skirt was especiallty beautiful: "I love it. I'm so glad she went with Sarah Burton, who is brilliant. The dress encompasses all the necessities of the protocal a future Queen should represent. It rings in a youthfulness that reflects the future monarchy. :)

Mods may I ask what happened to the thread I had the discussion was purely f&a?

I genuinely think the discussion on style deserved it's on thread, There was no off topic discussion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

All wedding threads merged.

Let's keep this to your interest in the wedding and the style please.

This is not the place to talk about the politics of it, or how much you hate the Royal Family.

Infractions will be handed out for off-topic posting.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

They're about to come out onto the balcony! And the planes are about to arrive!

I want Spitfires at my wedding :D

I think it's good that she went for a full skirt in her dress, it is more 'princessy' if you know what I mean?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Sibylla wrote: »
    Mods may I ask what happened to the thread I had the discussion was purely f&a?

I genuinely think the discussion on style deserved it's on thread, There was no off topic discussion.

What happened was that there was a thread in tLL about the Royal wedding - fans, which was moved for some unknown reason to F&A, where there already was a thread on the Royal wedding, so now the mods have merged the two

Somebody screwed up by moving the one in tLL to F&A

Looking forward to the flypass!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Not a fan of the dress. The top of it is nice but I hate the bottom of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

The state of Tara Palmer Tomkinson's outfit!

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0429/royalweddinggallery.html

What happened was that there was a thread in tLL about the Royal wedding - fans, which was moved for some unknown reason to F&A, where there already was a thread on the Royal wedding, so now the mods have merged the two

Somebody screwed up by moving the one in tLL to F&A

Looking forward to the flypass!!

There was one moved from TLL, There was one about asking if people were interested but I started one purely on the style it never went off topic so I don't see why that was merged which ruins the flow of that thread which many posters contributed too all morning.

Kate's dress is going to be copied by brides all over the world, It's beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

There was one moved from TLL, There was one about asking if people were interested but I started one purely on the style it never went off topic so I don't see what that was merged which ruins the flow of that read which many posters contributed too all morning.

Kate's dress is going to be copied by brides all over the world, It's beautiful.

so true, amazing dress. A lot fuller than I would personally like but totally suited to her and the occasion. There will be a lot of copies of this..

Tweet from ryan Tubridy earlier georgiasalpa. True story''

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Amys Dress
    229629_205585666140871_112344582131647_618038_5616867_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Ginny wrote: »
    Amys Dress
    229629_205585666140871_112344582131647_618038_5616867_n.jpg

Im slightly dissappointed, maybe its nicer up close! Did she go on her own! wouldnt fancy that :eek:

Brian definitely didn't go, I have to say Amy's dress is ill fitting and unflattering, Looks very much thrown together compared to other looks it's very disappointing. I presume it was difficult for her as she hasn't been to an event like that where the style is slightly different.

Yeah, Ive seen her look better being a guest on the Late Late :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

I personally am delighted about this wedding.
    Finally something that might actually get me studying

I love the way the veil falls over the lace on her dress, Gorgeous look obviously much thought and effort. The Tiara is the Queen Mother's, They both look very happy and in love!

425.kiss.ls.042811.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Not a fan of the dress in that pic, v unflattering to Amy.

Hopefully get a better pic

efb wrote: »
    Not a fan of the dress in that pic, v unflattering to Amy.

Hopefully get a better pic
    This is more zoomed but it still looks very unflattering and wrinkled.

Amy_Royal1.jpg

The kisses were very quick though, the press were hoping for a 3 second kiss I think , they definitely didnt get that :D

Just looking at the detail on the outfits worn by the flower girls and page boys, They looked adorable, It shows the sheer effort and planning that went into this.

article-1381873-0BD372C700000578-693_306x387.jpg

So beautiful, the page boys look the business too

• Advertisement

Looking atthe detail on the bodice it's clearly McQueen. article-1381851-0BD4090C00000578-37_634x509.jpg

Pity the rumours got out about the designer at the last minute, all to do with her wearing her trademark silver belt apparently, thats what gave it away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

It looked like William and Kate were going to start giggling together during the ceremony - am I naive or does it seem like they really love each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

Thought the dress was fab, very simple and elegant with lovely attention to detail :)

Kimia wrote: »
    It looked like William and Kate were going to start giggling together during the ceremony - am I naive or does it seem like they really love each other?

I genuinely think they are besotted with each other and very much in love :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ive been glued to this all day....have done no work :o I welled up numerous times, seeing Will and Harry walk into the church (they looked so handsome), seeing Kate get out of the car (the dress was just amazing) and the balcony kiss. Aww loved it all! Would so love to be at the party tonight :D

anniehoo wrote: »
    Ive been glued to this all day....have done no work :o I welled up numerous times, seeing Will and Harry walk into the church (they looked so handsome), seeing Kate get out of the car (the dress was just amazing) and the balcony kiss. Aww loved it all! Would so love to be at the party tonight :D

Me too, turned on the tv at 8am this morning and its still on just as well I had the day off anyway. I had no intentions of watching but got completely sucked in. They are a fab couple. Yeah that party tonight will be good,especially if Harry had anythiny to do with it and I hear he had :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I love the way the veil falls over the lace on her dress, Gorgeous look obviously much thought and effort. The Tiara is the Queen Mother's, They both look very happy and in love!

425.kiss.ls.042811.jpg

Was scrolling down the page quickly and thought Will was wearing a Superman costume :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

anniehoo wrote: »

Join the club! All those bits you mention had tears welling up in my eyes, and I told my kids it was because I have an eye infection! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Ahhhh bless :) I'm so happy for them. They both looked so happy and Catherine looked absolutely stunning in her beautiful dress.

Advertisement