Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topgifts.ie gone into liquidation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Balls - was unaware of this. Just called them to confirm a date and got the answering machine.

I have due to me: -

Super car experience
    Rally X experience
    Hawk Walk

Thankfully all was faciliatated by OH using Visa credit card and we'll take necessary action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sit_casper

redman wrote: »
    Cant believe this, just found out after getting email from the liquidator!

My wife bought me a voucher for my 40th back in Nov 2009 by credit card, the voucher was to 9 March 2011. I got lots of cancelled dates and they confirmed by email this would be extended to June to cover the latest offered dates. It was for a CourseB Rally Session in Waterford.

Any hope?

Redman

At least u got an email from the liquidator.I wrote to him 3weeks ago and enclosed copy of our vouchers and havent even recieved an acknowledgement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

sit_casper wrote: »
    At least u got an email from the liquidator.I wrote to him 3weeks ago and enclosed copy of our vouchers and havent even recieved an acknowledgement
    If you didn't do it the first time send the copy again by registered post. Very easy for someone to say they didn't receive something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Just found out that I got hit by this. Gave my mam a voucher for a photo shoot. Topgifts gave her the run around for months saying that the photo shoot place were backed up and busy.

She finally just rang the photo shoot place and they let her know what happened. Mam then told me today. Paid by CC. Will be issuing chargeback today.

Pain in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stopthelights

Just went to book my photoshoot today and realised that TopGifts are now in liquidation. So angry, it was my 21st birthday present :( My parents bought the voucher with Tesco Visa. Has anyone had any dealings with Tesco Visa in relation to chargebacks and should I be able to get my money back?
    Any help appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Based on replies on this thread, you will need proof that TopGifts has entered liquidation. Once you provide this to the credit card provider, they should organise the chargeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Just went to book my photoshoot today and realised that TopGifts are now in liquidation. So angry, it was my 21st birthday present :( My parents bought the voucher with Tesco Visa. Has anyone had any dealings with Tesco Visa in relation to chargebacks and should I be able to get my money back?
    Any help appreciated!!

Doesn't matter if its Tesco Visa or Joe Bloggs Visa, once its a Visa Credit Card, (or mastercard) you'll get your money back assuming the voucher was still vaild on date of liquidation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stopthelights

fantastic, thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Sadly while mine was bought with a credit card, the time had extended beyond which Visa would honour by just a month. We got a letter from the bank stating Visa only covers this up to 5xx days (damn TopGifts for dragging out the dates continuously)

So €350 down the drain, what a shame. I will just have to pursue the directors of Topgifts personally now, until the end of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 arsefacefrmhel

200 balloons on a hawkwalk for a 60th birthday..WHO HAS MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Anawil

i finally got a reply from Top Gift after sending them several emails over several days, Unfortunately as i paid by laser i can't get a charge back. Does anybody know the name of their parent company??

Anawil wrote: »
    i finally got a reply from Top Gift after sending them several emails over several days, Unfortunately as i paid by laser i can't get a charge back. Does anybody know the name of their parent company??
    they've gone bust - the company no longer exists as a trading entity. The only person that can talk on their behalf is the liquidator. And as there was very little of value in the company, unsecured creditors such as voucher holders who paid cash, cheque or laser are out of pocket and there is nothing that you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

200 balloons on a hawkwalk for a 60th birthday..WHO HAS MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

<SNIP> Ah come on... no allegations please

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 arsefacefrmhel

i feel like i`ve been robbed..might try that excuse with the bank..the old T.S. method..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭bumpydog

redman wrote: »
    Cant believe this, just found out after getting email from the liquidator!

My wife bought me a voucher for my 40th back in Nov 2009 by credit card, the voucher was to 9 March 2011. I got lots of cancelled dates and they confirmed by email this would be extended to June to cover the latest offered dates. It was for a CourseB Rally Session in Waterford.

Any hope?

Redman

I would guess that the CC company should be happy with the extension confirmation. We certainly have had customers obtain refunds on vouchers that have gone beyond the stated expiry date.

It's also worth adding that (as per TopGifts T&C's) "Once a booking has been made with an experience supplier, the voucher holder is bound by the terms and conditions of that supplier". Our Terms and Conditions (Irish Balloon Flights) clearly state that vouchers holders who have been cancelled three times during the validity period of their vouchers have their vouchers extended free-of-charge.

Malcolm

P.S Looking forward to the first Committee of Inspection meeting with the Liquidator tomorrow!

bumpydog wrote: »
    I would guess that the CC company should be happy with the extension confirmation. We certainly have had customers obtain refunds on vouchers that have gone beyond the stated expiry date.

It's also worth adding that (as per TopGifts T&C's) "Once a booking has been made with an experience supplier, the voucher holder is bound by the terms and conditions of that supplier". Our Terms and Conditions (Irish Balloon Flights) clearly state that vouchers holders who have been cancelled three times during the validity period of their vouchers have their vouchers extended free-of-charge.

Malcolm

P.S Looking forward to the first Committee of Inspection meeting with the Liquidator tomorrow!

Thanks, yes they were okay with the extension past the validity date of the voucher itself , but there is apparent limit from the date of purchase to 540 days to be valid in Visa's T's&C's for a refund.

"Unfortunately we are unable to dispute this transaction on your behalf under Visa rules and regulations Permanent tsb have up to 120 calendar days form the date the cardholder expected to receive the service but this frame must not exceeed 540 calendar days from the processing date of the transaction." aggggghrrrrrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lmk_Lass

I'm just after finding out about TopGifts liquidation.

I had a voucher for a flight lesson with them.

Just wondering how you are all getting on? Did any of you get any joy/money/word from them?

I realise I am late in catching on. Followed the thread and wrote and e-mailed the EML crowd and also wrote to my bank. I think I paid for it by debit card....
    Like the rest of you was told put on waiting lists for dates and then fobbed off. As it turned out the voucher expired in May but they said no hassle.
    Turns out no hassle at all to them by the sounds of it. Grrr.
    Advise or update from anyone?

Lmk_Lass wrote: »
    I'm just after finding out about TopGifts liquidation.

I had a voucher for a flight lesson with them.

Just wondering how you are all getting on? Did any of you get any joy/money/word from them?

I realise I am late in catching on. Followed the thread and wrote and e-mailed the EML crowd and also wrote to my bank. I think I paid for it by debit card....
    Like the rest of you was told put on waiting lists for dates and then fobbed off. As it turned out the voucher expired in May but they said no hassle.
    Turns out no hassle at all to them by the sounds of it. Grrr.
    Advise or update from anyone?

as said above - if you paid by laser, the money is gone. there is absolutely nothing whatsoever you can do.
    If you paid by Visa Debit card or any credit card you need to apply to your issuing bank for refund.

Otherwise, just put it down as a loss.

I got an e-mail reply from EML associates this morning.

''If the purchase was made by credit card, and you wish to register a claim, please supply details of credit card holder, the amount claimed along with the relevant voucher number(s). If we receive the relevant details we can supply a letter confirming your claim.

If the purchase was not made by credit card, we will note your details on file.''

Grrrr

I have just found out that I paid by Credit Card. I am starting the ChargeBack with my bank. Any ideas how long this takes? Any idea if there is still money in the kitty to still pay back? When did people last get money back?

Still hopeful........

• Advertisement

I have just found out that I paid by Credit Card. I am starting the ChargeBack with my bank. Any ideas how long this takes? Any idea if there is still money in the kitty to still pay back? When did people last get money back?

Still hopeful........

Lmk_Lass wrote: »

Still hopeful........

When you pay by credit card a retailer gets charged 1% - 2.5%. A small amount of this is insurance issued by visa / mastercard. This is what you will be claiming from, not Topgifts or the liquidator, so unless visa goes bust (no chance), you'll have your money back in a couple of weeks.

Nice way to start the weekend!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 clsta

My daughter bought me a 60min flying lesson from family hampers gone since 2010 bought by park plc the voucher from top gifts with a letter to reg, did this 2011 and was told by top gifts I would be contacted up to last week belive it or not I did not know of this dibacle. My voucher cost e250 and is valid to 31 jan 2012, when I went to find out I was given the run around treatment by all. told by the liquidator no money put you on file well I have them on file and I have seen that the contact name and address of one director as well as postal address plus fax no is operating another company NATURALLY IRISH GIFTS LTD What the hell is going here what is the director of corporate affairs doing about this. If it was up to me I would but a warrent out for their arrest and confiscate their assets. of which they still have with this other company????

maxer68 wrote: »
    Unfortunately as Naturally Irish is a seperate company, though related, nothing can be done unless it can be proven that it operated in tandem with Top Gifts - a liquidator will check this out fairly quickly.
    NATURALLY IRISH SAME ADDRESS SAME FAX NO ON LETTER FROM TOP GIFTS SAME DIRECTORS

MissRetro wrote: »
    I found on another forum that naturallyirish.ie are under the same management as TopGifts.ie. I tried ringing NaturallyIrish on 045837783(phone number difficult to find as they have taken it down from there website), got through, asked if I was through to NaturallyIrish, answer "Yes", asked what there plans for reimbursing the TopGifts customers were, "I cannot comment on that", asked if I could be put through to a manager who could comment on that, the girl then feebly tried to say that she didn't work for NaturallyIrish, I then asked why she would be answering phones for a company that she did not work for, she went blank while quick typing noises went on in the backround, I was then put on hold for 10 minutes and eventually hung up on :mad: Rang back again, same conversation, although sounding a little more pre-coached on her part this time. I finally left the conversation before losing my cool head with warnings that I would be taking this further.
    SAME ADDRESS. SAME FAX NO. SAME DIRECTORS. NEED I GO ON HOW FAR ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE IT?

From a legal point of view, once a company has gone into liquidaton, the former directors are prohibited from any dealings regarding the company and their positions have effectively been taken over by the liquidator.

And as Dudara says, any approach to them by anyone can be construed as harrassment and they can have you arrested.

On the plus side, you do need to make known to the liquidator all your issues and you can make representations to him which he must answer and include in his reports to the ODCE.

It may take 18-24 months, but you should certainly be looking for a restriction on the directors, possibly even a case for a ban.
    The liquidator e mailed me to say no money left would put me on file, if the directors of top gifts have no assets or the company has no money left to pay back creditors why are they allowed to trade in the same address,same fax no as I have on my letter from top gifts, as well as the contact name of one of its directors company NATURALLY IRISH GIFTS LTD ??? LAWS WHAT LAWS

clsta wrote: »
    The liquidator e mailed me to say no money left would put me on file, if the directors of top gifts have no assets or the company has no money left to pay back creditors why are they allowed to trade in the same address,same fax no as I have on my letter from top gifts, as well as the contact name of one of its directors company NATURALLY IRISH GIFTS LTD ??? LAWS WHAT LAWS

clsta - you don't have much knowledge of company law, (not expected to either) so be careful what / how you say things.
    Most companies are Limited Lability companies - this includes the smallest and the Largest companies in Ireland.
    Limited Liability means the directors liability is limited to the shareholders funds UNLESS reckless / fraudulent trading is PROVEN.

Unless a director has been restricted or banned - they can operate any other company they wish. Mistakes are made and many of today most successful companies have been built up after another compay went bust - including Dell Computers! If the mistakes / losses are made due to normal trading or overly optimistic forecasts, then there's nothing wrong - analysts gets things wrong, forecasters get things wrong, we all get things wrong.
    If however there wa s aconcerted plan to knowlingly take money out of the company in the knowledge that the company could not pay other commitments, then there is a case for fraud and it has to eb investigated - a thorough investigation can take 18 months. - Any faster and mitakes are made and people walk away.

You may be unhappy about the loss of the voucher, but getting worked up about it won't bring it back.

clsta - you don't have much knowledge of company law, (not expected to either) so be careful what / how you say things.
    Most companies are Limited Lability companies - this includes the smallest and the Largest companies in Ireland.
    Limited Liability means the directors liability is limited to the shareholders funds UNLESS reckless / fraudulent trading is PROVEN.

Unless a director has been restricted or banned - they can operate any other company they wish. Mistakes are made and many of today most successful companies have been built up after another compay went bust - including Dell Computers! If the mistakes / losses are made due to normal trading or overly optimistic forecasts, then there's nothing wrong - analysts gets things wrong, forecasters get things wrong, we all get things wrong.
    If however there wa s aconcerted plan to knowlingly take money out of the company in the knowledge that the company could not pay other commitments, then there is a case for fraud and it has to eb investigated - a thorough investigation can take 18 months. - Any faster and mitakes are made and people walk away.

You may be unhappy about the loss of the voucher, but getting worked up about it won't bring it back.

Well written

However I can confirm in my case that I was actively encouraged and put off on a number of occassions by the staff of Top Gifts in using my voucher, due to reasons that were incorrectly being blamed on the Rally firm.
    :mad:
    This not only cost me €350 but also any chance of a refund from the Credit Card Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

Many of my clients also told me that TG told them that I was busy and couldn't accept them, even though I was not. I also chased them for months and even asked them whether they are going out of business, which they denied. They lied to many people many times.

• Advertisement

MissRetro wrote: »
    I am just waiting for the CRO office to re-open(14.30). They should be able to tell me for definite if TopGifts is a stand alone company or a subsidiary, although I am thinking after that odd telephone conversation that it is a subsidiary.

"If the business that has gone into liquidation were a subsidiary of a larger company, it may be possible to claim directly from the parent company"- quoted from consumerconnect.ie.
    what is the latest update about top gifts

Advertisement