Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topgifts.ie gone into liquidation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Just to let anybody know who's going down the chargeback route, I sent a letter off to my bank (having paid by Visa debit), together with a printout from the insolvency journal (http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/more_details/11-04-27/TopGifts_Corporate_Event_LTD.aspx) last week and the money is back in my account today.

Much faster than I had expected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭bumpydog

Could I ask anyone who has an unused TopGifts voucher to send an email to the following email address as a matter of urgency :-

info@topgiftsvouchers.com

The creditors meeting is being held on the 13th May in Dublin and you, as a creditor, should have been advised of the meeting. We will reply to your email regarding your proxy.

Thanks, Malcolm

Note to mods - please leave this in its own thread as it will get lost amongst the noise elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

@bumpydog Please do not create new threads, but continue to post in the existing Topgifts thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

xoxyx wrote: »
    Just to let anybody know who's going down the chargeback route, I sent a letter off to my bank (having paid by Visa debit), together with a printout from the insolvency journal (http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/more_details/11-04-27/TopGifts_Corporate_Event_LTD.aspx) last week and the money is back in my account today.

Much faster than I had expected!

What needs to be written in the letter ect if you dont mind explaining?
    Did you include copies of the vouchers ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

The only thing I enclosed was the printout from the insolvency journal.

I wrote to the Visa Department of my bank (Permanent TSB) giving my account details and stating that I had purchased vouchers from Topgifts on my Visa Debit card on x date for x amount and asked that a chargeback procedure be initiated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 trakeena

I have a voucher that was bought for me by an ex. What should I do? I'd rather he got some sort of refund. My voucher is out of date as they kept fobbing me off with later and later dates. Can someone please advise me what I should do? If the creditors meeting is May 13th what action do I need to take before then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

People need to stop buying vouchers during this recession. Every week since late-2008 there's a new topic in here or AH about people with vouchers for a company that has just gone into receivership/liquidation. Have people learned nothing in over 2 years?

I agree with you there totally. If you want to get someone a voucher, there are perfectly good options in terms of pre-paid debit cards. Some of the better ones can be used online too.

That or just give someone an old-fashioned Gift Cheque / Draft, which are still available from most banks without any fuss at all.

Vouchers are always risky as you're putting money on hold with a company and they can also be subject to terms and conditions that you might not expect and are quite poorly regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mightycraic

trakeena wrote: »
    I have a voucher that was bought for me by an ex. What should I do? I'd rather he got some sort of refund. My voucher is out of date as they kept fobbing me off with later and later dates. Can someone please advise me what I should do? If the creditors meeting is May 13th what action do I need to take before then?

It seems likely that the creditors meeting will not be allowed to take place, as TopGifts have not notified their largest creditors i.e. those holding unused vouchers, of the meeting. I would guess that it will have to be adjourned until they have done so. In the meantime, I would suggest that you seek a chargeback on the purchase by the credit card company *if* it was bought using Visa or Mastercard credit or Visa debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Realistically, there's not a lot you can do. Your ex may be able to do a charge back, if he paid with a credit card, but charge backs are only allowed within a few months of the original charge. If your voucher expired, I'm guessing this was originally bought quite a while ago.

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest that you send an email with your details to info@topgiftsvouchers.com

Malcolm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Rhalliord

bumpydog wrote: »
    Hi all, following the surprising collapse of TopGifts earlier this week, I would be grateful of any names/details of their gift voucher partners that you might be aware of. So far we have Irish Balloon Flights (our company), ODD in Cavan, Eirecopters at Weston and Buggyworld in Co. Kildare. Clearly, there are many, many more.

Hope some of you can help fill in the gaps.

Malcolm

They also had a voucher for the blacksmithing courses in Russborough Hosue in Wicklow. Thats the one I bought from them that I now cant redeem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nolanm

I paid with laser and rang my bank there is nothing they can do. I emailed topgifts and they said they may email me back looking for details! so were do you go from here? is there somewere to give your name and all that? or do we have to wait until the meeting is held next friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gin and Tonic

I rang my bank and they said that I cannot get a refund on my credit card if my voucher is out of date. My voucher is out of date as Top Gifts kept postponing my flying lesson. What can I do now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Rhalliord

I sent off my letter to my bank, but after I did so I realised that I had paid for my voucher with Paypal but paypal uses my credit card all the same. Is this likely to affect my chances of getting my money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 carsd

I had a voucher for helicopter lesson that my brother gave me and i didn't use it as i was expecting shortly after he gave it to me, then i completely forgot about it as was just caught up in the joys of motherhood (busy busy) and so the voucher expired in April 2010 which was my own fault and that's fair enough.

However i found the voucher about a month after it expired and rang up topgifts to see if they would still honour it, they said no but that it could be reactivated for a fee of €65 euro which i paid (as i felt guilty too that i had left such an expensive voucher go out of date - originally it was €250 and so now i have a voucher that is worthless and cost overall 315 euro.

I'm just really annoyed that they left me go ahead with the renewal and took more money when they were obviously in trouble.

I booked the flight in February 2011 and was told that the next available date was September 2011 (eventhough the voucher expired on 30th April - i have correspondence from them to say that it would still be fine to use it in September because I booked it before the expiry day !!

I rang the AIB credit card and they said that if i had correspondance from the company confirming the booking after the renewal, then my brother could process a claim to get the money back eventhough it was purchased in 2008. They said that i would not be eligible to get the money back that i paid for the reactivation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

carsd wrote: »
    I booked the flight in February 2011 and was told that the next available date was September 2011 (eventhough the voucher expired on 30th April - i have correspondence from them to say that it would still be fine to use it in September because I booked it before the expiry day !!

I rang the AIB credit card and they said that if i had correspondance from the company confirming the booking after the renewal, then my brother could process a claim to get the money back eventhough it was purchased in 2008. They said that i would not be eligible to get the money back that i paid for the reactivation

At least it looks like you're going to get the €250 back.:D I can see how the €65 won't be refunded as you paid for the voucher to be extended and this part of your contract has been fulfilled.

yeah hopefully maxer - it was my brother that bought it for me so hopefully he will get the money back

I also got this reply when i e-mailed info@topgiftsvouchers.com

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

the voucher expired in April 2010 which was my own fault and that's fair enough.

However i found the voucher about a month after it expired and rang up topgifts to see if they would still honour it, they said no but that it could be reactivated for a fee of €65 euro which i paid (as i felt guilty too that i had left such an expensive voucher go out of date - originally it was €250 and so now i have a voucher that is worthless and cost overall 315 euro.

I'm just really annoyed that they left me go ahead with the renewal and took more money when they were obviously in trouble.

You reactivated it in May 2010. 12 months ago.

You should only be annoyed at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

with this chargeback process....how exactly does this work. The bank pays back the purchaser on their credit card and the bank then goes after topgifts for the money?? and if they dont get it from topgifts what happens then???

Bluetonic wrote: »
    You reactivated it in May 2010. 12 months ago.

You should only be annoyed at yourself.

They rebooked in Feb 2011 9 months after reactivating for presumably another year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ppink wrote: »
    They rebooked in Feb 2011 9 months after reactivating for presumably another year
    They never rebooked as they never booked in the first place. You can't rebook if you've never booked previously.

The poster states clearly they are annoyed due to the company taking money in May 2010 and going into liquidation some time in 2011. Mind boggling really.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They never rebooked as they never booked in the first place. You can't rebook if you've never booked previously.

The poster states clearly they are annoyed due to the company taking money in May 2010 and going into liquidation some time in 2011. Mind boggling really.

Fair enough, you have a point there, I am annoyed with myself too for not using it the first time around before it expired. I'm also annoyed that they took the bookin in feb 2011 and was annoyed that the nearest available date was end sept 2011. I suppose what I was really annoyed about was having to pay money to reactivate the voucher full stop as it wasn't long expired and cost enough originally without adding to that. Thankfully now it is illegal to put an expiry date on a voucher. And to be completely honest am just annoyed That I now can't use it As are quite A number of others

I didn't book it in the time frame the first time around because I was expecting and afterwards priorities were obviously different. When I found the voucher I reactivated it for a further year. Shortly after reactivating it I was involved in a very bad car accident so that is why I only booked in feb 2011 - this was within the voucher reactivation period

anyway look lesson learnt I should have used it first time around when it was originally in date

Fair enough, you have a point there, I am annoyed with myself too for not using it the first time around before it expired. I'm also annoyed that they took the bookin in feb 2011 and was annoyed that the nearest available date was end sept 2011. I suppose what I was really annoyed about was having to pay money to reactivate the voucher full stop as it wasn't long expired and cost enough originally without adding to that. Thankfully now it is illegal to put an expiry date on a voucher. And to be completely honest am just annoyed That I now can't use it As are quite A number of others

I didn't book it in the time frame the first time around because I was expecting and afterwards priorities were obviously different. When I found the voucher I reactivated it for a further year. Shortly after reactivating it I was involved in a very bad car accident so that is why I only booked in feb 2011 - this was within the voucher reactivation period

anyway look lesson learnt I should have used it first time around when it was originally in date

where did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

And to be completely honest am just annoyed That I now can't use it As are quite A number of others

Why are you capitalising random letters? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I don't think it is illegal to put an expiry date on a gift voucher. I looked into this last year through the consumer agency and was told its not illegal.

The business I work in don't put an expiry date on the vouchers as we don't want to stop people using the voucher that was paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rare_flower01

I'm nearly sure I paid for my TG vouchers with my Halifax visa debit (which have now gone from Ireland) where do i stand now? Can anyone help me???? Both vouchers costed more than €720!!

And same with every other voucher holders our activities were postponed due to bad weather and then non-availabilty but they said expiry date was extended... Although our voucher states theyre expired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm nearly sure I paid for my TG vouchers with my Halifax visa debit (which have now gone from Ireland) where do i stand now? Can anyone help me???? Both vouchers costed more than €720!!

From another thread that was discussing Halifax Visa Debit card charge backs, it seems that the bank must allow for charge backs on the Visa debit cards as well as credit cards. Now, how exactly you are supposed to contact a bank that no longer operates in this country, I'm not sure. Even it's parent company, Bank of Scotland Ireland no longer operates here, so you have no local contact at all.

I would suggest contacting the Financial Regulator, or the National Consumer Association, to see if there is anything you can do now. It may be that there is nothing, and that your money is gone.

This is one of the major perils of buying vouchers, they are effectively worthless pieces of paper, with no rules governing how they should be used or accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

People need to stop buying vouchers during this recession. Every week since late-2008 there's a new topic in here or AH about people with vouchers for a company that has just gone into receivership/liquidation. Have people learned nothing in over 2 years?

Thats what you would think, but I had somebody who enquired about an item last March and I told them I would not have it again until June. They pestered me to pay there and then as they were afraid they would spend the money on something less important.

It was €500 but it was an essential item the person would need next winter. There was no way I would take the money off them so I told them to go to the credit union etc. to hold it for them

There are some desperate stories out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 arden

I contacted the bank about getting a chargeback and they said I needed a letter stating that Top Gifts had gone into receivership, but Top Gifts are not answering the phones or sending out any letters.

Is there somewhere I can get the letter from that the Bank with regards as being a legitimate source? The link and printout of http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/more_details/11-04-27/TopGifts_Corporate_Event_LTD.aspx is not enough.

• Advertisement

arden wrote: »
    I contacted the bank about getting a chargeback and they said I needed a letter stating that Top Gifts had gone into receivership, but Top Gifts are not answering the phones or sending out any letters.

Is there somewhere I can get the letter from that the Bank with regards as being a legitimate source? The link and printout of http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/more_details/11-04-27/TopGifts_Corporate_Event_LTD.aspx is not enough.

Would they accept a letter from the activity partner to state that they are unable to provide the service due to TopGifts liquidation. That has been the case with one or two of our disappointed customers.

Advertisement