Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

Well not being a farmer I find its pretty easy to avoid using roundup etc. I agree with you though - evil company. I would love to avoid them if I knew how but reality is most food on the shelves probably has there evil fingerprints on it. It would great if there was a monsanto free labelling system! haha

We were in homebase a few months back getting weed killer, one was from monsanto and I chose another brand; you don't have to be a farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Kit kat for their involvment in the palm oil plantations that cause the death of hundreds of our closest relative the orangutang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

We were in homebase a few months back getting weed killer, one was from monsanto and I chose another brand; you don't have to be a farmer.

I don't have a garden either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I'd also have to agree with Brown Thomas. Pretentious self indulgent sh!t heads shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Ive tried to do this, saying if so and place doesnt give me a job im never going there again, but if i did that now as much id never go anywhere tbh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

are people actually serious about the sun? we live in Ireland.. it has nothing to do with us, id under stand it if this was liverpool and people didn't buy it but its not get a grip.. looks like west Britain is here to stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Any charity that employs chuggers - I know it ultimately results in more income for the charities concerned but I can't stand it and thus don't give to any charity who has them.

Dell

Ryanair

Philips

Anything to do with Neil Prendeville ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Henry the Hoover

Because Henry cheated us out of the World cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

That is fine. I know, and everyone else knows that I'm right. You've brought absolutely nothing to the discussion except bullshit. Not one point you've made was backed up with even the scent of fact. Well done.

I don't. I was reading the toing and froing between you two for the last 2-3 pages and honest to god I don't even know what ye are arguing about. Something about fruit???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

are people actually serious about the sun? we live in Ireland.. it has nothing to do with us, id under stand it if this was liverpool and people didn't buy it but its not get a grip.. looks like west Britain is here to stay

I fully agree. I love football and have a decent knowledge of it, but its only now, on the recent anniversary of Hillsborough, I find out that there has been a boycott of the Sun. The type of people that are getting annoyed over the Sun and what they did (in my experience) are those that love Liverpool but hate England. Idiots.
    Many of you may have seen the League of Ireland video on YouTube. I love the bit where the guy in the Spurs jersey says that he doesn't go to LOI games because they're too far away, but thinks nothing of going to over to London when he can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭sob1467

All tabloids. In particular news of the world and the star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I fully agree. I love football and have a decent knowledge of it, but its only now, on the recent anniversary of Hillsborough, I find out that there has been a boycott of the Sun. The type of people that are getting annoyed over the Sun and what they did (in my experience) are those that love Liverpool but hate England. Idiots.
    Many of you may have seen the League of Ireland video on YouTube. I love the bit where the guy in the Spurs jersey says that he doesn't go to LOI games because they're too far away, but thinks nothing of going to over to London when he can.

What the hell are you talking about? Where has all this hate England bo11ox come from?

Have you just decided that anyone who supports Liverpool and boycotts the sun must hate England? There's absolutely no logic there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

tommyhaas wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about? Where has all this hate England bo11ox come from?

Have you just decided that anyone who supports Liverpool and boycotts the sun must hate England? There's absolutely no logic there

No. Sorry, I wasn't fully clear. In my experience I have come across people that love English clubs, but hate England. I just said Liverpool in my earlier post because I was talking about the Sun and what they said about the Hillsborough disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Kit kat for their involvment in the palm oil plantations that cause the death of hundreds of our closest relative the orangutang.

Can't see Nestle gibbon a shit unfortunately. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

steddyeddy wrote: »

Just Kit Kat? Do they not use palm oil in other Nestle products?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,742 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Are any of the people on the Nestle ban wagon into the catholic church?

Penny for the black baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Just Kit Kat? Do they not use palm oil in other Nestle products?

I stand corrected I meant nestle thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

i love their popcorn

Ha.

I'm boycotting them now. The best thing I have from them is an Ipod case which at least does it's job.

The wireless router has blocked websites and at the start it always cut out.

The ipod car radio my dad has cuts out all the time when you move it even slightly.

They don't test their products. Their customer support is very good but it would have to be since they don't bother testing out their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No. Sorry, I wasn't fully clear. In my experience I have come across people that love English clubs, but hate England. I just said Liverpool in my earlier post because I was talking about the Sun and what they said about the Hillsborough disaster.

Football fans and logic? Then add in a touch of nationalist stupidity and that's the result.

Still, the Sun is a different issue again. I've seen it said that it isn't really about Liverpool as such and that is true. If it had been Forest fans that day or some other club the Sun still would have printed stuff like that. The police chief went on TV pretty quickly to blame the fans, he said they'd forced their way into the ground, they didn't, a gate was opened on his direction and no stewards or police directed the crowds into the sides of the terrace, which is the real tragedy, it was so easily preventable.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Wow... my current employer has popped up here more than once. I'm betting plenty of other posters can say the same.

I don't boycott any products tbh, but I wanted to share a funny anecdote about boycotts.

I went to UL, where the sale of any Nestlé products is banned by the Student Union, as voted for by the students. It has been this way for years. About 8/9 years ago, another vote was held about imposing a similar ban on Coca-Cola products, except this vote didn't pass.

The students could substitute Cadbury and Mars for Nestlé, but weren't willing to substitute Pepsi for Coke. For that group, at least, it wasn't about morals, it was about appearing to be moral, so long as it didn't cost them a sugar-filled drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Nestle of course for their exploitation of mothers in the third world with baby milk.
    Their extensive use of palm oil which has destroyed huge areas of rainforest.

I would never touch ANY of their products,a company with no moralities whatsoever.
    SHAME on anyone who uses their products.:mad:

*Except for big bags of Maltesers.I eat a few bags of these a day,they are of course exempt as they are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

celj wrote: »
    Nestle of course for their exploitation of mothers in the third world with baby milk.
    Their extensive use of palm oil which has destroyed huge areas of rainforest.

I would never touch ANY of their products,a company with no moralities whatsoever.
    SHAME on anyone who uses their products.:mad:

*Except for big bags of Maltesers.I eat a few bags of these a day,they are of course exempt as they are lovely.

And not actually made by Nestlé at all, but by Mars :p

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

And not actually made by Nestlé at all, but by Mars :p

HAHA! so they are!
    Was only having a laugh anyway,have seen this type of moral rubbish so many times from people!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

L'Oreal

Because she's not worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Newspapers produced by News International.:mad:

Hate Tabloids.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

celj wrote: »
    HAHA! so they are!
    Was only having a laugh anyway,have seen this type of moral rubbish so many times from people!:rolleyes:

Do you have a problem with other people sticking by their principles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Bank Of Ireland based on a terrible reputation

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I also boycott all Nestle products.

Nestle are a vile company with their baby milk formula products in the third world and thie involvement in the destruction of the tropical rain forest for palm oil plantations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

IvaBigWun wrote: »

You don't buy Nestle because of something they did in the 1970s?

I could decide not to but brands because they have questionable methods but sure that would mean I would have to go around naked and only eat food I produce myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement