Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Apple is a fantastic brand and their products are rock solid. this is coming from a user who has washed his ishuffle (gen 3) three times and it worked. I killed it on the fourth wash because I did not try to dry it out! I have a 64gb Ipod touchscreen that is the best bit of tech kit I have ever owned.

Not sure I want technical advice from somebody who washed an electronic device four times.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Apple are awesome. Thier products are accessible and user friendly, reasonably priced, and stylish.

If they are so awful why the clamour by competitors to ape thier styling sa dn interfaces?

People who hate Apple do so because they heard some open source junkie rabbit on about the evil that is Steve Jobs. Fair enough, it's some tech minded person who can do better themselves. The majority of apple haters are know nothings who are regurgitating half accurate (in reality wholly inaccurate) fact-lite gibberish to appear counter cultural and thus cool.

Apple is a fantastic brand and their products are rock solid. this is coming from a user who has washed his ishuffle (gen 3) three times and it worked. I killed it on the fourth wash because I did not try to dry it out! I have a 64gb Ipod touchscreen that is the best bit of tech kit I have ever owned.

I listened to tech gob****es talk guff about Apple before. They were raving about the Iriver 64gb mp3 player. I can say it is singularly the worst thing I have ever owned. Wretched build quality, impenetrable user interface, shonky software that crashed more times than a teenage car thief. I listened to so called techies before. Never again.

• iTunes is crap. Seriously, biblically, crap.
    • iPods have lousy file support
    • Apple's subscription business model is evil (and probably illegal)
    but none of this matters. The real problem is the douchebags who insist Apple can do no wrong and the Sun shines out of Jobs' hole. The worst thing about Apple products is the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

stovelid wrote: »
    Not sure I want technical advice from somebody who washed an electronic device four times.

Was I giving technical advice?

I'll leave the unsolicited advice to the likes of you and the rest of the geek militia.

The best thing people can do with the likes of you is ask advice so it can be immediately be disregarded and that you can be automatically be labelled as a spoof merchant. I'd rather believe the billionaire Steve Jobs' hipster savvy guff-speak than some bedsit cowboy whose ACER laptop has to be left on an asbestos table for fear that it's overheating battery and burn the gaff down.

If you guys actually could top Apple, why are you wasting your precious gifts on After Hours?

It sounds like the grade 1 Irish jealously from most of the so called tech-heads. If you were all put in a room for three months you wouldn't have come up with the scroll wheel.

In the immortal words of the keyboard warrior, 'Jog on'!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I suppose it was inevitable in a thread about brands you hate/avoid, that eventually a fanboy from some brand or other would show up....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Tommy Hilfiger, in Canada he said if he knew blacks would end up wearing his clothes he never would have been a fashion designer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wow, that's quite a rant.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I suppose it was inevitable in a thread about brands you hate/avoid, that eventually a fanboy from some brand or other would show up....:rolleyes:

Of course :) it's just that the android fan boys can disguise it by being apple haters :D

Wait till you get the ATI/Nvidia, AMD/Intel, Xbox/PS3 chaps in here ;)

Far from a 'fanboy' as you so succinctly put it. I just laugh at these radioshacksters that populate every message board and know better than Apple, that is all. The alternatives they promote are usually sub-standard garbage and as you can see the hatred for Apple is fact-lite and unnecessarily vitriolic towards the product and those who like using Apple products.

The vehemence with which people speak out against apple boarders on religious fanaticism.

Were the Catholic Church to fold in the morning, the First Church of Not Apple would be an able replacement. The dogmatic, hectoring style would segue nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

killwill wrote: »
    Tommy Hilfiger, in Canada he said if he knew blacks would end up wearing his clothes he never would have been a fashion designer.

Snopes doesn't agree.

Was I giving technical advice?

I'll leave the unsolicited advice to the likes of you and the rest of the geek militia.

The best thing people can do with the likes of you is ask advice so it can be immediately be disregarded and that you can be automatically be labelled as a spoof merchant. I'd rather believe the billionaire Steve Jobs' hipster savvy guff-speak than some bedsit cowboy whose ACER laptop has to be left on an asbestos table for fear that it's overheating battery and burn the gaff down.

If you guys actually could top Apple, why are you wasting your precious gifts on After Hours?

It sounds like the grade 1 Irish jealously from most of the so called tech-heads. If you were all put in a room for three months you wouldn't have come up with the scroll wheel.

In the immortal words of the keyboard warrior, 'Jog on'!!

The anger is strong in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I can already see where your "argument" is going. An already smartass start....

Yes my argument went tearing apart each point you tried to make but sure if it makes you feel better washing it off as smartass then I suppose what ever helps you sleep at night.
    Duggy747 wrote:
    Annoucing and releasing a product within one year of it's predecessor isn't the same as a console's 4-5 year release span.

Of course it is. The discussion was based around announcement of products not release of products and as has already been discussed everyone knows that apple operate on a yearly release cycle so it stands to reason that they will already be working on the iphone 6 right now prior to the 5's release.

A friend of mine works in microsoft and he is testing preliminary concepts in office 2014 at the moment. We know its coming so we're not going to complain when we buy office 2012 are we?
    Duggy747 wrote:
    Technological progress means newer hardware, not keeping the same hardware for years at a high price. I wasn't referring to the latest MP3 / MP4 players.

Thats an extremely parochial view of the world. Technological progress does not necessarily mean newer hardware it can mean newer interface and newer concepts. I suppose the best recent examples here are the Nintendo Wii and the original playstation.

The Wii is essentially a Game Cube with minor alterations but an entirely new way to play and it rocked the world. Likewise the PS was essentially a SNES with some alterations but it brought an entirely new level of gaming into our lives.

You also can't generate an argument, see your point torn apart then feebly retort with "oh i didn't mean those!" So we're not talking latest here as that just destroyed your argument so how far back historically are we going?
    Duggy747 wrote:
    Never said they couldn't.

Thats fair enough but you can't give out to apple over their questionable business practices whilst championing other companies in your posts who all have a tarnished past and history in said area too.
    Duggy747 wrote:
    You want style over substance, go for it. It's your money since you seem to sound like you have more of it than sense.

Me plenty of money? nope sorry. Point me to where I said I had plenty of it. I have one apple product which is an iPhone which I got for free. No in any stretch of the world that's a great deal. I got a phone and a 32gb ipod for free and you're complaining about the price of their products.

Also I never said anything about style over substance I merely stated that its an overall package, style, usability, versatility etc... I like all of it. I'll not buy an NEC tab for instance because they are big chunky plastic pieces of crap, despite having sensational specifications. I'll go for the HP one which is a beautiful piece of kit and offers much better integration all be it a little less powerful. If thats money over sense then I'd hate to inhabit the world in which you do.
    Duggy747 wrote:
    I never gave figures in my argument whereas you gave me nothing but bullshìt "facts" and smartass retorts, especially how you just finished your post there.

Get down off your high horse, you're embarrasing yourself.

Sadly the only person here embarrassing themselves is you my friend. Your arguments have been wiped out to the extent that you respond (not to me) with a "look i just hate them ok" type comment. Shows the face of the defeated.

P.S. Use spell checker from time to time. If nothing else you'll look less embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Of course :) it's just that the android fan boys can disguise it by being apple haters :D

Let us not forget that you also look way more cool that way. Nobody wants to be a droid fan. They want to be an apple hater!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

Sony. Worst customer service and aftercare I have ever ever experienced. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

iregk wrote: »
    Let us not forget that you also look way more cool that way. Nobody wants to be a droid fan. They want to be an apple hater!

of course many people couldnt give a crap either way and just want a phone that can make calls and texts, doesnt come with a load of stuff ill never use, has a battery that lasts more than 2 days and doesnt cost a months rent.

of course many people couldnt give a crap either way and just want a phone that can make calls and texts, doesnt come with a load of stuff ill never use, has a battery that lasts more than 2 days and doesnt cost a months rent.

GET OFF THE INTERNETZ, LUDDITE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Dell

Booooom!!!!

microsoft
    mcdonalds
    burger king
    nestle
    round-up monsanto
    most lidl and aldi and tesco brands
    colgate

Whats Operating System do you have?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tescoes and Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Apple are awesome. Thier products are accessible and user friendly, reasonably priced, and stylish.

If they are so awful why the clamour by competitors to ape thier styling sa dn interfaces?

People who hate Apple do so because they heard some open source junkie rabbit on about the evil that is Steve Jobs. Fair enough, it's some tech minded person who can do better themselves. The majority of apple haters are know nothings who are regurgitating half accurate (in reality wholly inaccurate) fact-lite gibberish to appear counter cultural and thus cool.

I listened to tech gob****es talk guff about Apple before. They were raving about the Iriver 64gb mp3 player. I can say it is singularly the worst thing I have ever owned. Wretched build quality, impenetrable user interface, shonky software that crashed more times than a teenage car thief. I listened to so called techies before. Never again.

Get a clue man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Well most of the local producers were I live, supply the supermarkets too and if you asked them that question they would just look at you. They also supply green grocer shops around the city and country either direct or through the corperation market and quiet frankly the only thing the farmers customers care about is price so they can make a decent markup when you the consumer buy it. So i don't really know were they are getting the information from as they don't visit the local producers either. Could it be the old irish Bull****e answer just to sell something?

At least the large retailers can be lobbied to impose restrictions on its suppliers such as how some of the large clothes retailers boycott Uzbeck cotton after NGOs campaigned.

Maybe so cause unless you were really thorough you're not going to find out. Most of the fruit i eat anyways is tropical since i'm a tropical man. A lot of it comes from Ecuador or Mexico. I now only use the Dublin food co op which doesn't use anything from israel. Well so they say. Anyways i maintain the boycott to the best of my ability.

• Advertisement

Get a clue man.

No problem, tell me how to do it?
    Tell me what products should the free stuff fairy bestow upon me? In a simple list for my rudimentary brane, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

McDonalds - because the staff are so friggin lazy that they won't mix my McFlurrys properly together.

Tell me what products should the free stuff fairy bestow upon me? In a simple list for my rudimentary brane, please.

Heee....nice sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

No problem, tell me how to do it?

Well your first mistake was to say that Apple are reasonably priced.
    Wouldn't agree that their products are rock-solid either.
    Nor would I say that their products are user-friendly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Try to avoid Coca-Cola company products. I'll never buy another Sony laptop as has been mentioned before on the thread keys started falling off. A certain cloting brand well known for it's colourful advertising and united outlook that I know shipped in cheap as chips shíte from the Far East and had workers here sew big brand labels onto before they were put on the shelves at an astronomical mark-up. Americal Apparel. Avoid Israeli produce, particularly food produce where I can.

Well your first mistake was to say that Apple are reasonably priced.
    Wouldn't agree that their products are rock-solid either.
    Nor would I say that their products are user-friendly either.

Still no alternatives. And your points above are just YOUR opinion, not facts. I am still without this mystical clue that is absent in my life.

I find your opinion to be the lesser of my own opinion.

Again, give me a list of alternatives. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maybe so cause unless you were really thorough you're not going to find out. Most of the fruit i eat anyways is tropical since i'm a tropical man. A lot of it comes from Ecuador or Mexico.
    Could allot of it not be sourced from inside the EU in places like Spain? I'm always surprised by the amount of farming they've got going on over there.

As far as I can tell most of the produce in Lidl and ALdi comes from within the EU which at least has some guarantee of less shipping, some thought towards environmental concerns, animal welfare and proper workers rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Still no alternatives. And your points above are just YOUR opinion, not facts. I am still without this mystical clue that is absent in my life.

I find your opinion to be the lesser of my own opinion.

Again, give me a list of alternatives. Now.

jesus whats wrong with you, calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

iregk wrote: »
    Yes my argument went tearing apart each point you tried to make but sure if it makes you feel better washing it off as smartass then I suppose what ever helps you sleep at night.

What points did you "tear apart". Grow up.
    Of course it is. The discussion was based around announcement of products not release of products and as has already been discussed everyone knows that apple operate on a yearly release cycle so it stands to reason that they will already be working on the iphone 6 right now prior to the 5's release.

Every company that release a product almost immediately begin on it's successor to get a head-start. Standard practice but we're talking about announcing a successor to a product that hasn't even been little over half a year in the market.
    A friend of mine works in microsoft and he is testing preliminary concepts in office 2014 at the moment. We know its coming so we're not going to complain when we buy office 2012 are we?

That's testing a product that's 3 years away, you're going way off on a tangent. We might as well start talking about the successor to Blu-ray and why we shouldn't bother buying them and just wait for the next step-up. Even then you're talking about software, completely different area in comparison to a hardware market.
    Likewise the PS was essentially a SNES with some alterations but it brought an entirely new level of gaming into our lives.

You're comparing a 32bit CD-ROM system to a 16-bit cartridge one, bar their history that sparked the PS1's development they are not similiar in any aspect.
    You also can't generate an argument, see your point torn apart then feebly retort with "oh i didn't mean those!" So we're not talking latest here as that just destroyed your argument so how far back historically are we going?

Well, first off you're the one who brought up touchscreen multimedia devices while I was referring to sole MP3 players. Secondly, I can just imagine you typing all this out with a shìt-eating grin on your face, like you've accomplished something in your day.
    Thats fair enough but you can't give out to apple over their questionable business practices whilst championing other companies in your posts who all have a tarnished past and history in said area too.

Who did I "champion"? I just stated the difference between an iPad and a HP Tab. One is marketed for average consumer the other towards businesses. Again, you're pulling things out of thin air accusing me of saying things I never did.
    I'll go for the HP one which is a beautiful piece of kit and offers much better integration all be it a little less powerful. If thats money over sense then I'd hate to inhabit the world in which you do.

Yes, specs over design any day.
    Sadly the only person here embarrassing themselves is you my friend. Your arguments have been wiped out to the extent that you respond (not to me) with a "look i just hate them ok" type comment. Shows the face of the defeated.

Heh, what a pathetic comeback of a post. All topped off with your "wiped out" nonsense, it's like I'm arguing with a child who's thinks he's won debate of the day.
    P.S. Use spell checker from time to time. If nothing else you'll look less embarrassing.

A clear sign when a bullshìtter draws straws on an argument is when they point out spelling to gain one up.

Seriously, grow up, I'm done talking to you. This isn't even about disliking a brand anymore. I have my reasons for not liking Apple, you have your..............childish remarks and wafer-thin comeback of a post.

• Advertisement

In fairness, despite having a perfectly functional iPod that I like for years, I've always avoided owning an Apple computer or iPhone in a chldish reaction against smug Apple lovers so I'm as much of a facile moron as any fanboy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement