Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I remember when the Green sauce was up here, i didn't buy it.
    Why? It's green therefore it's militantly republican?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'd like to add Mcaffe and Norton. I've had major trouble when these expired, and when buying new computers I now insist that the trial versions are removed before I pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Have a real thing against Walker crisps. I don't know why. I just hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Dudess wrote: »
    Why? It's green therefore it's militantly republican?

It stained like a bitch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 babyface11

I never buy pennys underwear, i think of all the poor kids in sweatshops making them, i buy lasenza instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Any products by the rats at Amnesty International.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

amjon. wrote: »
    Won't even walk into a Boots chemist.

What's wrong with Boots?

Better then the standard family owned pharmacies in Ireland with sky high prices

Boots isn't that cheap either but competition is always good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

2 stroke wrote: »
    I'd like to add Mcaffe and Norton. I've had major trouble when these expired, and when buying new computers I now insist that the trial versions are removed before I pay.

Google 'Norton Removal Tool'

It's a godsend. I had a new laptop that wouldn't connect to any wireless network after I uninstalled the Norton trial. Rang the company, rang the shop I bought it from. No help.

Finally got the removal tool and it instantly worked. Norton are one of the worst companies ever, free versions are better and don't slwo down or just destroy your computer.

No experience with McAfee yet so can't comment on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Hanley Centre
    1. I've done charity collections in the past but I volunteered, I didn't expect a wage or commission to do it
    2. Flame me if you want but treatment for alcohol problems is way my list of worthy causes. Alcoholism is a disease but there are many other more worthy causes
    3. They are cynical in their tactics, employing good looking girls to sell their tickets. Nothing wrong with that and that's good promotion. But they target certain people, walk down Shop St in Galway and see do you get targeted. Posters over in the Work forum gave details on it
    4. I've worked in hotels and we held AA conferences. Good organization to be fair. But the attendees replaced alcohol with nicotine and caffeine, another crutch. So I don't think selling scratch cards is the best idea for a charity dealing with abuse and addiction

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

Any monsanto products, roundup etc. - Look up the documentary about them.
    Apple products. - Pretentious and overpriced.
    Carphone warehouse. Terrible terrible experience with them. The OH had to bring them to the small claims courts (she won).
    Samsung products. Owned a TV & stereo years ago that both just broke days apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Samsung products. Owned a TV & stereo years ago that both just broke days apart.

Sounds like a power spike. If something like this happens, two or more appliances failing in the same week, check if others in the area are having similar trouble. In small towns, electrical shops notice these "spikes" in trade, and often will support your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I don't think selling scratch cards is the best idea for a charity dealing with abuse and addiction

That one always confused me, it'd be like a dentist giving you a lollipop after you get a filling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

optogirl wrote: »
    They advertised in such a way as to suggest that if you didn't use their products you were causing your children harm - they made women who were undeducated feel as though breast milk was inferior to their product. It is without doubt cynical and morally wrong

This kind of flies in the face of the argument that the women in question were illiterate and couldn't understand the instructions, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

This kind of flies in the face of the argument that the women in question were illiterate and couldn't understand the instructions, doesn't it?

well that wasn't my argument so no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Any monsanto products, roundup etc. - Look up the documentary about them.

Well not being a farmer I find its pretty easy to avoid using roundup etc. I agree with you though - evil company. I would love to avoid them if I knew how but reality is most food on the shelves probably has there evil fingerprints on it. It would great if there was a monsanto free labelling system! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

amjon. wrote: »
    Won't even walk into a Boots chemist.

Boots? Why?

well that wasn't my argument so no

So you have a completely different unsupported argument to the apocryphal one being tossed about from page 1 onwards? Do share.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

So you have a completely different unsupported argument to the apocryphal one being tossed about from page 1 onwards? Do share.
    Hardly "apocryphal" :
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2667401.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

My 'argument' as you quite wrongly call it was simply to state that Nestle's advertising did infer that their formula was superior to breast milk. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Zannusi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

[*]I've worked in hotels and we held AA conferences. Good organization to be fair. But the attendees replaced alcohol with nicotine and caffeine, another crutch. So I don't think selling scratch cards is the best idea for a charity dealing with abuse and addiction [/LIST]

If you grew up living with an alcoholic you'd be only too happy to make that trade

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I won't bank with certain banks, becoming more and more difficult as they are all being taken over/merged but I avoid Barclays like the plague

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2848046.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

The Hanley Centre
    1. I've done charity collections in the past but I volunteered, I didn't expect a wage or commission to do it
    2. Flame me if you want but treatment for alcohol problems is way my list of worthy causes. Alcoholism is a disease but there are many other more worthy causes
    3. They are cynical in their tactics, employing good looking girls to sell their tickets. Nothing wrong with that and that's good promotion. But they target certain people, walk down Shop St in Galway and see do you get targeted. Posters over in the Work forum gave details on it
    4. I've worked in hotels and we held AA conferences. Good organization to be fair. But the attendees replaced alcohol with nicotine and caffeine, another crutch. So I don't think selling scratch cards is the best idea for a charity dealing with abuse and addiction

I love irony.:D

Treating addictions with addictions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

An Phoblocht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Japer wrote: »
    An Phoblocht.

Apparently they've outbid Hello for the Royal Wedding pics. The editor said they've spent quiet a bit on it considering they only want one clear shot...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

The Hanley Centre
      ]

sorry to hear that about the hanley centre I have done some volunteer stuff for them.. are you sure that it is not a collection company that decides how this is done or is it the hanley centre itself.
    [*]I've worked in hotels and we held AA conferences. Good organization to be fair. But the attendees replaced alcohol with nicotine and caffeine, another crutch. So I don't think selling scratch cards is the best idea for a charity dealing with abuse and addiction
    it is still better than drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

sheesh wrote: »
    sorry to hear that about the hanley centre I have done some volunteer stuff for them.. are you sure that it is not a collection company that decides how this is done or is it the hanley centre itself.

it is still better than drinking

I for one have no time for the Hanley Centre.

My 'argument' as you quite wrongly call it was simply to state that Nestle's advertising did infer that their formula was superior to breast milk. That is all.

What form did these advertisements take? How did they 'infer' something that specific? Where have you seen these ads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

KFC
    Microsoft
    mc donalds
    Pepsi
    The sun
    The mirror
    Brown Thomas ( over priced even their coffee machines are overpriced)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

janja wrote: »
    Zannusi

Why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement