Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Joe have you (or anybody else) listened to the Exiles about Continental Wrestling? Think its gonna be a 3 part series like the SMW and UWF/JCP series so wanna wait till all 3 parts are up before listening

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

LeeJM wrote: »
    Joe have you (or anybody else) listened to the Exiles about Continental Wrestling? Think its gonna be a 3 part series like the SMW and UWF/JCP series so wanna wait till all 3 parts are up before listening

Youll laugh but I've actually never listened to exile on badstreet. After between the sheets, talking sheet, the observer and VoW, I just dont have the time to listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Anyone notice John & Wai tend to bicker more often recently about small things.
    Like this week how John said that Raw's tend to be thrown together late on & Wai argued it was a good show even though John didn't say it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ERG89 wrote: »
    Anyone notice John & Wai tend to bicker more often recently about small things. Like this week how John said that Raw's tend to be thrown together late on & Wai argued it was a good show even though John didn't say it.

Yeah, much more noticeable this week. Felt awkward listening as they disagreed and John ended by mocking Wai a little for defending the show. TBF I don't know how anyone can ingest and then create so much product about current WWE and not get real crabby real fast! I do think Wai tries to look on the sunnier side of things whilst John is brutally (and rightfully) cynical. Expounded perfectly with last week's response to Cesaro's return

John: Where do you think Cesaro will be in 3 months?
    Wai: Just let me have this.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Youll laugh but I've actually never listened to exile on badstreet. After between the sheets, talking sheet, the observer and VoW, I just dont have the time to listen to it.
    Exile is really good, it's a shame Bixenspan isn't on it more because him and Hayles together do have a level of enthusiasm for wrestling that's damn near unparalleled but I'd recommend at least leaving a few episodes on your phone/mp3 player for a rainy day.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yeah, much more noticeable this week. Felt awkward listening as they disagreed and John ended by mocking Wai a little for defending the show. TBF I don't know how anyone can ingest and then create so much product about current WWE and not get real crabby real fast! I do think Wai tries to look on the sunnier side of things whilst John is brutally (and rightfully) cynical. Expounded perfectly with last week's response to Cesaro's return

John: Where do you think Cesaro will be in 3 months?
    Wai: Just let me have this.

:p
    Pollock, as great as I think he is, sometimes slips into mini-Agnew mode of cranky snarky guy when he's on autopilot. Wai was completely right to be calling him out on a needlessly negative tone for the most recent episode imo, seems like the kind of guy it'd be hard to wind up so I doubt he was too bothered by Pollock.

I've been listening to them weekly for almost 7 years now. It's kind of weird for guys their age to be in the same jobs so long, especially since they both seem really competent at their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Anytime I've listened to Pollock and Wai, Wai is always waaaaaay too forgiving of WWE. They could have Michael Cole win the Royal Rumble and he'd try make an excuse for why it's not as bad as it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 G Spark

We're back with another episode, this time we are reviewing the inaugural Summerslam event. Featuring Billy Graham wearing a t-shirt that would give you cataracts, a new Half-Time segment, the Mullet Count becomes The Mullet Club and a main event with a terrible special ref but an amazing finish.

Summerslam '88 - Where The Mega-Powers meet The Mega-Bucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

This is the first time I ever heard of your vod(?)cast. I like the Huey Lewis And The News track from Back To The Future there at the start. Is there an audio version of your videos that can be downloaded from iTunes or Podbean or anything? It's a bit long to sit and watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I usually roll my eyes when Cornette indulges in his Vince Russo bashing obsession but the guy is fùcking unbearable. I have tried his podcast one show but he really needs to go away. Unfortunately he probably can't afford to.

Flair seems to be gone AWOL with his podcast appearing very sparingly? Probably not a bad thing for its longevity as most podcast one shows could do with taking more breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I usually roll my eyes when Cornette indulges in his Vince Russo bashing obsession but the guy is fùcking unbearable. I have tried his podcast one show but he really needs to go away. Unfortunately he probably can't afford to.

Flair seems to be gone AWOL with his podcast appearing very sparingly? Probably not a bad thing for its longevity as most podcast one shows could do with taking more breaks.
    Who needs to go away ? Cornette or Russo ?

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Both.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Good question ha. As much as Cornette can be annoying he is also tremendously entertaining and one of the best talkers in wrestling history imo.

Russo just comes across terrible. I don't think he deserves a lot of the criticism he gets and he was involved in my favourite period of wrestling because he fitted that time period perfectly but as a person I just cannot stand him. I think they're both very similar in terms of never admitting fault with anything they've ever done and it's probably why they haven't got along.

Cornette/Brian Last are brilliant. Currently my favourite show. MSL was just way out of his comfort zone with Cornette.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I enjoyed JR's podcast episode with Mickie James.

I usually don't listen to JR's podcast because he tends to do phone interviews rather than recording the interview in a studio.

Does anyone ever listen to The Place To Be commentary podcasts where they watch stuff on the Network? Some of them are pretty funny for watching shows I've already seen loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Does anyone ever listen to The Place To Be commentary podcasts where they watch stuff on the Network? Some of them are pretty funny for watching shows I've already seen loads.

I haven't listened no, commentary tracks over matches where fans/podcasters watch and talk tend to be a bit iffy*. I'm yet to find a good one.

Would you recommend this PTBN one for sh*ts n' giggles then yeah?

(*Pollock and Wai on Youtube watching some abysmal WCW PPV where Wai is sitting with his feet on his couch in his socks was one of the weirder moments in wrestling podcasts where I questioned my sanity and social life)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 G Spark

This is the first time I ever heard of your vod(?)cast. I like the Huey Lewis And The News track from Back To The Future there at the start. Is there an audio version of your videos that can be downloaded from iTunes or Podbean or anything? It's a bit long to sit and watch.

Hey,
    Yep, just search for Bah Gawd Almighty on iTunes or whatever podcast grabber you use.

Cheers

Not anything terribly enlightening but really liked Austin Aries on the Ross Report. He turned me from apathy to a fan in an hour.

Has anyone been following the GWE pods from the PWO/PTBN guys? Kris Zellner and Dylan Hales 8 hour pod is absolutely superb. Yes its 8 hours but its 2 of the most knowledgeable fans I have ever heard. Highly highly recommended.

G Spark wrote: »
    Hey,
    Yep, just search for Bah Gawd Almighty on iTunes or whatever podcast grabber you use.

Cheers
    Cool. I'll have a look for that when I'm next near some Wi-Fi. I haven't been listening to as many podcasts as I was the last few weeks. I heard a good interview with Gangrel on The Kevin Kelly Show (from 2014) earlier, he seems cool.

LeeJM wrote: »
    Has anyone been following the GWE pods from the PWO/PTBN guys? Kris Zellner and Dylan Hales 8 hour pod is absolutely superb. Yes its 8 hours but its 2 of the most knowledgeable fans I have ever heard. Highly highly recommended.

In the last week i took this on, at 43 at the minute.

Kris and Dylan are both more knowledgeable than and have watched more Wrestling than anyone I know. There list is controversial and will raise many an eyebrow, but they each lay out reasons why wrestlers did or didn't rank higher in such great detail that it will make you re-evaluate your own thinking on a particular performer.

The list is of course subjective but its marvellously thought out even if I don't agree with its standings.

• Advertisement

What exactly is this, a greatest wrestler ever listing? I find the likes of the two of them to be what I see was wrestling hipsters. I've heard them criticise elements of shows that the majority of people seem to have enjoyed at the time. Then hearing Hales say something like "and I DIDN'T hate this match" as if that's some sort of revelation when he does enjoy something. Very knowledgeable both of them but no more or less than any of us I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

What exactly is this, a greatest wrestler ever listing? I find the likes of the two of them to be what I see was wrestling hipsters. I've heard them criticise elements of shows that the majority of people seem to have enjoyed at the time. Then hearing Hales say something like "and I DIDN'T hate this match" as if that's some sort of revelation when he does enjoy something. Very knowledgeable both of them but no more or less than any of us I think.

The sheer amount of content which they watch and the extensive range of content which they watch video means that almost automatically they are more knowledgeable about wrestling than vast majority of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

What exactly is this, a greatest wrestler ever listing? I find the likes of the two of them to be what I see was wrestling hipsters . I've heard them criticise elements of shows that the majority of people seem to have enjoyed at the time. Then hearing Hales say something like "and I DIDN'T hate this match" as if that's some sort of revelation when he does enjoy something. Very knowledgeable both of them but no more or less than any of us I think.

Mister @DylanWaco on Twitter is a Roman Reigs fan. Reckons there's a conspiracy backstage to see Reigns fail. :pac:

Ah hes been pushing that political hit theory for a while, and while I will conseed that it is well thoughtout, logical and plausible, I really dont think its the case.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    In the last week i took this on, at 43 at the minute.

Kris and Dylan are both more knowledgeable than and have watched more Wrestling than anyone I know. There list is controversial and will raise many an eyebrow, but they each lay out reasons why wrestlers did or didn't rank higher in such great detail that it will make you re-evaluate your own thinking on a particular performer.

The list is of course subjective but its marvellously thought out even if I don't agree with its standings.

Joe you have been stuck on 43 since last week! Seriously its like a great wrestling match, it peaks right at the end. Listening to both give their own personal reasons for their no 1 choice is amazing.

And as mentioned above, Kris and Dylan are part of a group of fans that have watched more footage across all spectrums of wrestling than I have ever heard of in literally any other "hobby" or sport. Thats not to say I always agree with their opinions. I dont, but I love listening to them put forward their reasons for their opinions.

Also I say it every time Im in this thread, but check out Between The Sheets with Kris Zellner and David Bixenspan. They normally have a guest with them too. The amount of stuff I have learned listening to that podcast is mind blowing.

Im at 31, my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was listening to the latest Austin podcast (Payback recap) and heard Austin linking a tribute to Chyna into an ad for one of his sponsors. Thought it was fairly crass.

Court Bauer - does he really have to repeat everything that everybody already knows or he has told us fifty times?

He has some juicy new info sometimes but his sombre, I got it wrong voice kills me usually.

Bauer and Pollock is a completely backward formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Court Bauer - does he really have to repeat everything that everybody already knows or he has told us fifty times?

He has some juicy new info sometimes but his sombre, I got it wrong voice kills me usually.

Bauer and Pollock is a completely backward formula.

I prefer Bauer & Pollock now to Review a Raw/Wai. Wai is pure burnt out for some reason & it's so noticeable he basically acknowledged it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

"for some reason"!
    I don't know how podcasters who review current wrestling can stick it for more than a year; WWE is SO MUCH WORSE when you have to pay attention so you can talk about it. Wai & John do RAW and a retro review every week for the last 6 years. Impact too for a few years. I can't believe they still do it for free without fail!

Advertisement