Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Nice one! I know of WMX7, what other matches has he done it with?

Bret and himself WM 13 I think so it's three now. He actually does these great. I had the match on the pc while had the podcast on my phone. I had only listened to the audio before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Bret and himself WM 13 I think so it's three now. He actually does these great. I had the match on the pc while had the podcast on my phone. I had only listened to the audio before.
    I know it should be kind of obvious, but when Austin really gets down to talking about wrestling it's incredibly easy to see why he was so huge, the guy's a bit of a f*cking genius and clearly was really dedicated to his craft to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I know it should be kind of obvious, but when Austin really gets down to talking about wrestling it's incredibly easy to see why he was so huge, the guy's a bit of a f*cking genius and clearly was really dedicated to his craft to boot.

This. 100% agree. He's so in-sync with the crowd and their needs at all times when you hear him break down matches like this. He's a cut above so many other smark favourites because of it. Wrestling is truly an art form when it's done at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Robbie brookside on talk is jericho was a great listen. One of the best ever guests imo. Hes a very funny and insightful guy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Really enjoyed Charlotte on Ric Flair's podcast. It's pretty much brilliant every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Have to say the Attitude Era special about The XFL was really good. Don't know much about "Football" but was it was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Dave Taylor on Colt Cabana's podcast was great

Flair and Jericho was brilliant. The co-host laid out which isn't a bad thing. I like when he leads the conversation but less when his only interjection is forced laughter.

I hated Flair for so long (in recent times) but I think he was in a bad place in life. I love him now. Like the opposite of bitter old Bret Hart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Flair and Jericho was brilliant. The co-host laid out which isn't a bad thing. I like when he leads the conversation but less when his only interjection is forced laughter.

I hated Flair for so long (in recent times) but I think he was in a bad place in life. I love him now. Like the opposite of bitter old Bret Hart.

There is something so joyful about Flair's laugh. When he retells old stories of the wild days and debauchery they got up to. That giggle always ring out "OMG how did we get away with all that sh*t".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My GOD JRs phony voices in his opening monologue are making me want to fly to his home and hurt him. Not funny and bloody irritating. And not like they are very good either :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

gimmick wrote: »
    My GOD JRs phony voices in his opening monologue are making me want to fly to his home and hurt him. Not funny and bloody irritating. And not like they are very good either :mad:

To be fair to JR, they are the only negative thing he has on his podcast. Everything else is excellent. If that's the worst he does, I can live with it.

The thing I find funny is from the likes of Austin saying in order to keep this Podcast free we need you to visit our advertisers. Colt Cabana has been doing it for years for free. He does a little advertising but he doesn't try and pretend the advertisers are the only reason he is doing the podcast. Austin makes it sound like he only does it because the advertisers pay for it. MLW doesn't have much if any advertising but do offer a VIP package. Not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of fan podcasts that are all free of charge. Why are the biggest names the ones who can only do it with advertising revenue?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Well, because he's a f**king liar! PodcastOne get paid $5,000 for every live read advertisement Austin reads out. (I inquired about advertising when JR started podcasting) Glass of 200 year old vintage for the working man, right? :o He's also on commission for ad clicks (which are wayyyy more lucrative than just views). Austin knows what he's worth (and is extremely talented) and presses a little harder to get more money out of the same amount of work. This is definitely a business venture first and foremost.

I'm not sure what download numbers Austin does but I listened to a podcast called Startup which is about starting a podcast network and they give a lot of info about ad rates etc. They can be 10 grand + for an ad depending on the show. Great money for very little effort.

Can't believe JR is still doing the impressions. I usually like his show but WWE not allowing anybody to appear leaves him stuck for guests.

I can see an Austin/Rock podcast around WM time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I don't see how JR could be stuck for guests. Major names? Sure, but he could really help out a lot of other wrestlers by getting them a little extra exposure. TNA roster, ROH roster, anyone from NJPW who speaks English, retired WWE or WCW guys and so on. He's only done 100 episodes. If he wanted, he could easily get another 100 without any repeat guests.

Absolutely. Maybe JR's just looking at biggest names/biggest downloads rather than actual quality guests. Dude's an institution in the wrestling industry, working in Mid-South, JCP/WCW before WWF/E and a bit of NJPW. That's 20 years before the Attitude Era, as well as instrumental during the period and afterwards.

If in doubt, Steve Blackman.

Well maybe it's just personal preference but I'd rather hear him talk to current day performers or legends contracts guys than Ariel Helwani, Alex Greenfield or some guy who just wrote a wrestling book. Flair has had more interesting guests in a few months than JR in two years.

I don't like a lot of AOW shows for the same reason. Prefer listen to more established names.

I listen almost every week but it's closer to bottom of my priorities.

Ok the above references weren't exactly a fair reflection of his show. I looked through the last few months and he's had some good guests. Billy Graham, Bob Backlund, Sullivan, Bret Hart.

I'm more of a mid 90s onwards guy so some of the 70s/80s stuff goes over my head.

Point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Talk is Jericho episode with Booker T was okay. I wished they talked about TNA and his King Booker gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I really enjoyed the Charlotte podcast. She came across well and has a good understanding of the psychology of the business and her role in it (especially why she is better as a heel).

The funniest story was when they were discussing how a match was going to go and Charlotte said "Have you got this, Dad?" like her father had never done pro wrestling before. Ric Flair was like "Who do you think thought Hunter how to work?" and "This is my first redeo".

It's funny how everyone calls Triple H Hunter instead of Paul. I think Shawn Michaels and Stephanie are the two only two people I've ever heard call him Paul.

No mention of the elephant in the room (the Reid comment on Raw by Paige) but understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭CCWrestling

Check out tonight's Celtic Wrestling Radio - CWR LIVE from 8-10pm GMT only on www.room101radio.eu. Talking all the latest in the World of Professional Wrestling. And a familiar voice from Season 1 returns for One Night Only. Going to be a great show. If you have any questions for our panelist's please tweet us at @cwrasslinradio

CWR_Friday.jpg

There wasn't much we haven't heard before but I enjoyed Lex Luger on the Ross Report. Flair giving bands $1000 to play one more song was hilarious. It's amazing Flair is still going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Does anyone know why The Place To Be haven't uploaded anything in a month? At least on their Podbean account anyway, the last addition was on December 23rd, seems kind of strange.

Does anyone know why The Place To Be haven't uploaded anything in a month?

That's weird. Keep an eye out on their website, they've still been posting stuff. http://placetobenation.com/category/podcasts/

If definitely won't update? You might have to unsubscribe and resubscribe. I hadn't been getting review-an-impact/keep it 100 on my podcast feed and unsub/resubbing fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Just when I go to the list of episodes it doesn't show anything later than last month. I'm listening to episodes of theirs from 2014 anyway and I plan on switching over to them on iTunes once I get caught up to within about 12 months of wherever they are with things then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I think its your feed Stereo, mines been fine. Dave Bix Everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Stereo try placetobe.podbean.com always works for me and has all their previous pods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Voices of Wrestling have been posting some podcast reviews of old Royal Rumbles - http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/category/podcast/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭CCWrestling

Tune into Celtic Wrestling Radio - CWR tonight we're talking about all the latest news in Pro Wrestling including the sad passing of Former ECW Star Axl Rotten ~ RIP

Listen Live at www.room101radio.eu

• Advertisement

Jericho and AJ is a must listen and It goes from the ads straight to the interview which I don't think I've heard before. About 40 mins in and NJPW is mentioned lots but TNA is the 'other company'. TNA is so unsubstantial it's a wonder why.. Jericho is a GREAT interviewer. When he's talking to wrestling people I don't think anybody is better. Perhaps Flair if it's an older guy.

*Jericho mentioned TNA eventually. :)

Advertisement