Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 22/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Podge83 wrote: »
    Ye'll have the can of London Pride from the goody bag aswell!!!

I would rather drink my own piss. Mistakingly took a sip of that last time and regretted it big time.
    shels4ever wrote: »
    only 6 cans?

Yeah I reckon you should easily be finished within an hour of me. A can every ten minutes before moving on to one of londons fine drinking establishments should keep me ticking over nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

50 odd miles this week with a 14 mile long run :D Will continue building up slowly and should have no problems getting around in a decent time.

Seen as our UK residents are incredibly slow getting the post session organised I will give them a helping hand ;) I'm planning on placing 6 cans of dutch gold* into my race bag and on completion of race I will be seated in the meet zone under the letter K (for knacker drinking) supping my cans and eating a large bag of crisps. It's not every day you can have a bag full of cans in her majesty's back garden.

*or UK equivalent

Unless you've pilled on the weight while injured I'd guess you still have a hell of a residual fitness/strength to call on. It'll come back quick and you'll embarrass the rest of us with how fast you can run a marathon off 50 mpw and 14 mile long runs.

I'm due to be in Edinburgh at 09:00 on the following morning for work hence my lack of involvement in getting the post race session organised. I'll be in the Red Lion for a few drinks afterwards but I'll probably be calling it quits early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭Cartman78

No LSR for me this weekend due to life-outside-running-things interfering.

Managed to squeeze in a FFMR (Fairly Fast Medium Run) instead though - did 20k in c. 85 mins so pleased with that. Ran the same course at the end on January in 90 mins so nice to see a progression. Haven't felt this good since the Dungarvan 10 miler so hopefully can push on from here right through to the finish line in London :D

Also managed to squeeze in a 7k tempo run last night too - set a new course PB for that as well and more importantly my new trainers are finally starting to feel comfortable after some teething problems over the last couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I would rather drink my own piss. Mistakingly took a sip of that last time and regretted it big time.

Yeah I reckon you should easily be finished within an hour of me. A can every ten minutes before moving on to one of londons fine drinking establishments should keep me ticking over nicely :)
    An hour at least, at that rate it would be a better idea for you to run back down the course and had me a beer at 22 miles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tesco do a lager in their value range.

I picked some up as a joke and it was something like 99p for 4 cans, might have been less than that even.

Nobody actually drank it.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Tesco do a lager in their value range.

I picked some up as a joke and it was something like 99p for 4 cans, might have been less than that even.

Nobody actually drank it.

challenge accepted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Looks like good quality stuff. might bring a pack home for Krusty, he loves a good quality beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I love how the London marathon thread is more about drinking beer than actually running this year!!

I love how the London marathon thread is more about drinking beer than actually running this year!!

I think that is down to the alcoholics athletes competing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

2% Alcohol. That must be the absolute pxss

Abhainn wrote: »

I'd expect that my body can produce a higher % Alcohol through fermentation of gel's through the course of the marathon to make proper 2% pxss.

Abhainn wrote: »

We call that a shandy in my house.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Drinkers with a running problem :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

Fixed this post....

Peckham wrote: »
    Fixed this post....

I think it is more akin to a beer mile marathon this year

Struggling to keep motivated at this stage.....I normally use running as a stress-busting/head space/reflection exercise but it's becoming a bit of a slog lately.

I think it's the accumulation of months of training in the dark and wet. Can only run on my local country routes at the weeked so 95% of my training has been in urban areas with lighting.

Still though, despite my whinging, I'm actually in good shape and if I can stay un-injured for the next few weeks I should be able to smash my PB in London

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Half marathon in Silverstone for me this weekend. Hope to pb (1'22) and maybe even give sub 80 a lash. Nerves building already. I'll be a nervous wreck come April 22nd :eek:

Looking forward to the clocks changing the end of march and running in daylight every evening.

ye fecking ha. 18 mile run at a good clip this morning before work. There's life in the old dog yet :D

Hope to keep on building over the next few weeks, I'll be undercooked going into this marathon but delighted to be back in the swing of things

Fair play....have toyed with the idea of early morning runs but think it would be the final straw for Mrs.Cartman :)

General question - at this stage, what should the focus of a long run be? Should you be aiming to run 18-20 miles at a good clip or is time on your feet more important?

Can run 20k fairly handy at a decent speed (for me) but haven't tried pushing the boat out in terms of speed on longer runs

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Fair play....have toyed with the idea of early morning runs but think it would be the final straw for Mrs.Cartman :)

General question - at this stage, what should the focus of a long run be? Should you be aiming to run 18-20 miles at a good clip or is time on your feet more important?

Can run 20k fairly handy at a decent speed (for me) but haven't tried pushing the boat out in terms of speed on longer runs

depends what you're aiming for. This morning I was more interested in time on the feet. That was my longest run of the year to date. I generally get a string off long runs together before I even worry about the pace. This morning was just a nice bonus and if I had of been 30-50 seconds slower per mile it honestly wouldn't have bothered me.

My NMS (Niggle-Management-Strategy) finally failed after my highest ever mileage week last week.

Have an interesting collection of things going on in my left foot/leg - tender achilles-tight calf-plantar faciitis-clicky ankle.

Have been managing them ok until now but the weekend 20 miler left me a bit sore so a lengthy and very painful physio visit was required last night. Hobbling about a bit today but should be ok to ease back into it by the weekend after a couple of days doing yet more brand new stretches and core work.

Still feeling confident about the big day - a few days rest is probably no harm for me at this stage anyway.

A good week for me last week. Got close to mid 60s and more importantly was running strong and injury free. As the weeks go on my focus is slowly shifting from the post race booze back to the race itself. Funny how a couple weeks of decent running can change your outlook.

Yet another rubbish running week done as far as mileage goes. Time on the bike at the weekend won't have done me any harm, but could really have done without all these drinking and work trips happening right in the middle of what should have been my big mileage weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Only back a few weeks after a few months out. Got in one 18 so alot of stamina to make up. Ran 64 in ballycotton so i aint even in sub 3 shape yet. Plan to do mallow monday so a 62would get me closer. Hope to run 20 miles tomorrow and another long one sat or sunday week.

Had to do wkly long run today :mad: but it was a good one :D so I'm happy out. Perfect day for a long run, temps nice and low so easy to keep it up tempo without overheating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Anyone know when they post out the rest of the blurb for the big day? As my one is going to be delivered to my 'home' address in Scotland, I just want to make sure my friend is primed to post it over.

Training is going ok, got my longest run of 22.5m out of the way last Monday so might do one more of those & then that's it :)

Had to do wkly long run today :mad: but it was a good one :D so I'm happy out. Perfect day for a long run, temps nice and low so easy to keep it up tempo without overheating
    Yep was a perfect day for running today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Finally starting to do a bit of running again after the worst month in history. In the past four weeks, I've raced a half marathon, and ran less than 20 miles. However, everything that's been stopping me training this past while seems to be settling down so I should be able to step it up again. Not going to do anything too long over the weekend, if I manage a 15 miler, I'd be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

opus wrote: »
    Anyone know when they post out the rest of the blurb for the big day? As my one is going to be delivered to my 'home' address in Scotland, I just want to make sure my friend is primed to post it over.
    Mine last year was delivered to Cheshire and I got it in good time. I don't recall been anxious over any delays in getting it by post then.
    This year it'll be in Surrey waiting for me. No I don't own a caravan ha.

Hoping to greatly improve over my 233rd position from last year.
    I still don't what to think of "GBR" instead of "Ire" after my name in the rssults. Though my kids won't mind as their half english.
    They may have issues who to shout for on Sat:)
    opus wrote: »
    Training is going ok, got my longest run of 22.5m out of the way last Monday so might do one more of those & then that's it :)

One more 22 should see you well there.

Advertisement