Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 22/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Abhainn wrote: »
    Mine last year was delivered to Cheshire and I got it in good time. I don't recall been anxious over any delays in getting it by post then.
    This year it'll be in Surrey waiting for me. No I don't own a caravan ha.

Hoping to greatly improve over my 233rd position from last year.
    I still don't what to think of "GBR" instead of "Ire" after my name in the rssults. Though my kids won't mind as their half english.
    They may have issues who to shout for on Sat:)

One more 22 should see you well there.

So you moved from Cheshire to Surrey? ;) I bet that cost a bit. :eek:
    What are you aiming for? I'll be lucky to hold last years place. I'll take 233rd if you are not having it. I just hope it's not as warm as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

dermCu wrote: »
    What are you aiming for? I'll be lucky to hold last years place. I'll take 233rd if you are not having it. I just hope it's not as warm as last year.

Well a number of mins faster than that;)
    Sandbagger again yeah? Ya you said that last year too and finished up with a fecking tidy 2:44.
    So I see you took my advise and still in tan land then?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Well a number of mins faster than that;)
    Sandbagger again yeah? Ya you said that last year too and finished up with a fecking tidy 2:44.
    So I see you took my advise and still in tan land then?

Ha Ha, maybe I am sandbagging a little bit but I do have reason to be pessimistic. I raced a real crappy half a few weeks ago.
    It was a tough course but even still I wasn't happy with the performance and it took me a while to recover. Some of my mid week tempo runs have gone well but the long runs are definitely down on last year.
    We'll see how the next few weeks go.

Yea, staying here is a no brainer for us. No complaints from me when I see the state of affairs at home at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Quick question (and possible early warning sign of pre-race paranoia:eek:) -
    are you allowed bring energy gels in carry-on luggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Cartman78 wrote: »

Just put them in the liquids bag for seperate screening. More often than not they won't spot them but why risk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Cartman78 wrote: »

I had no problems carrying them on the Dublin -> Berlin flight last year, just put them in a clear plastic bag like they want you to use for toiletries.

Your mileage might vary of course!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have yet to have them notice the gels when I've had them in hand luggage. They did spot a shower gel that I think we got after Dublin a couple of years ago, but as that was in the bottom of my smelly kit bag they decided better of any further investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Another good week for me this week, 70 miles and a 20 mile long run at a decent clip. This time 3 years ago I was injured at this stage in my preperations for the London marathon. This year I am undertrained but on an upward curve I know which situtauon I'd rather be in :D Won't get within a mile of my marathon PB but my London (one and only) PB is under threat :)

The bottom has fallen out of my training totally over the last 2 weeks. A DNF in the silverstone half and a load of crappy training runs have left the confidence fairly low. Still going for 3 but its more in hope now than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

The bottom has fallen out of my training totally over the last 2 weeks. A DNF in the silverstone half and a load of crappy training runs have left the confidence fairly low. Still going for 3 but its more in hope now than anything else.

You were in low 2:5X shape a few weeks ago, so unless you have been on the beer for 2 solid week or broke a leg sub 3 should still be on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well the arse has also fallen out of my training as well....total mileage last week of (drum roll....)....20k :(

Went for physio last Monday for my various assortment of niggles; took a few days off and then did 10k runs at easy pace on Thurs & Fri...felt ok-ish over the weekend but decided to give myself a break. Ran 10k again yesterday with no probs during it but the plantar faciiiiiiiiiiiitis has flared up again last night and this morning.

Have had London as target race since last August...think I peaked way too early (in January) and feeling a bit overtrained at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Its a mental thing........I would love to be in your shape. With 18 days of hard training to go i mightnt physically be in great nick but mentally i will be ready.........As shels said you dont become a bad runner overnight.......Maybe this time you are doing it the right way around. ****e half and then a super marathon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What they said.

Missing a week or so is not ideal, but doesn't spell complete disaster...unless you have also gained 10 stone and a large beer gut in the time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Training still a bit of a disaster for me, but I did manage 18 miles up over a mountain last weekend without much bother. Lauged at my Garmin log lastnight, 5 activities in the last 30 days!! 3.10 would be a great achievement given the rubbish training, sub 3.15 would be more realistic I'd say.

Its a mental thing........I would love to be in your shape. With 18 days of hard training to go i mightnt physically be in great nick but mentally i will be ready.........As shels said you dont become a bad runner overnight.......Maybe this time you are doing it the right way around. ****e half and then a super marathon.

I wish it was a mental thing. Holding 8 min miling has been a big struggle for me the last 2 weeks. I've had to stop going up stairs to catch my breath too. Legs are just empty and there's no energy or zest for running at the moment.

Going to the doc today or tomorrow and hopefully he can shed some light on it.

I was in sub 3 (or even sub 2'55 shape) all winter long and maybe its taken its toll. Never had a proper break after Berlin/DCM pacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I wish it was a mental thing. Holding 8 min miling has been a big struggle for me the last 2 weeks. I've had to stop going up stairs to catch my breath too. Legs are just empty and there's no energy or zest for running at the moment.

I was in sub 3 (or even sub 2'55 shape) all winter long and maybe its taken its toll. Never had a proper break after Berlin/DCM pacing.

Sounds like we both need a dose of that Kenyan blood that claralara got... Hope things go well Brian!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

One more 22 should see you well there.

23 ticked off this evening, really felt the effects of the Mallow 10 for the last few miles but that's it now, won't go over 20 again 'til the big day!

Fingers crossed Brian, maybe a few days off would help? It's not that long ago you were flying it in the Dungarvan 10 remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

If you secure a place in the 2012 Virgin London Marathon you’ll need to register for the race. There are two parts to this process:

Part 1 - The registration form

You will receive your registration form in the post in March and you must bring this with you to the 2012 Virgin London Marathon Expo along with your identification (see details in Part 2) in order to collect your runner number, timing tag and kit bag.

Has Anybody recieved the form yet?
    Reason I ask is that I got a place in January through entry from our club but never recieved confirmation. I sent of the club form but no word since.

I'm not aware of anyone having received anything registration forms yet. Last thing to appear was just some Runners World advertising and that was at least a couple of months ago now.

Of course the day after saying that the postie delivers mine today. :D

Includes some red laces and a sticker fridge magnet that you can make to show your finish time along with a magazine.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »

Includes some red laces and a sticker that you can make to show your finish time along with a magazine.

Cool does it say anything about getting somebody else to pick up your number? I've never had to show ID at number pick up but as I'm arriving on the Saturday and would like to avoid the expo I'm hoping Shels can pick mine up on the Friday.

Cool does it say anything about getting somebody else to pick up your number? I've never had to show ID at number pick up but as I'm arriving on the Saturday and would like to avoid the expo I'm hoping Shels can pick mine up on the Friday.

Then i'll plan a cunning switch of chips, so I get myself a nice 2:4X :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,499 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

robinph wrote: »

Includes some red laces and a sticker fridge magnet that you can make to show your finish time along with a magazine.
    Man, I love those fridge magnets. Mine has been taunting me on my fridge for the last 6 months, since I crossed the finish line in Chicago. I glare at it every morning, as I reach for the milk for my cereal.

It has a "declaration" that you have to sign, but it says do not sign it until asked to do so by the registration scrutineer so that may be a stumbling block.

Might have to contact them to ask the best way to get around it.

Think it should be ok .
    From their site
    What to do if you can’t attend the Expo
    Although we encourage everyone to register for the Virgin London Marathon in person we know this isn’t always possible. Here’s what to do if you can’t attend the event:

Nominate someone to attend the Expo and collect your runner number for you.
    Your nominee will need a letter written and signed by you, giving permission for them to collect your number. They’ll also need to bring a copy of your identification.
    Sign the declaration on your registration form. When your nominee gives the form to the Registration Clerk, they’ll check your details.
    Your nominee will also need to bring some identification (for example, their passport or driving license).

Found that bit in the magazine now, mostly worded along the same lines as what Shels said, but also says that you can only pick up one number in addition to your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

Just got mine also.Another week and then the taper. Always love the taper.

Just got mine also.Another week and then the taper. Always love the taper.

I hate taper time. 1 week taper for me for this marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I hate taper time. 1 week taper for me for this marathon.

have you been taking tips? ;)

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    have you been taking tips? ;)

Definitely not. Won't be doing my biggest week 2 weeks before. Will reduce mileage but there will be some real quality in there to prepare the body for the shock it' going to have to endure for the best part of 3 hours. I'm playing a bit of catch up but it's a fine line between catch up and fing my race up.

Advertisement