Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 22/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Training's going in fits and starts for me. I've done a couple of 17 and 18 mile long runs, going to do a 23 this weekend probably. There's just too many other things going on in life at the moment to prioritise marathon training so I've no real proper structure to it. The 18 miler I did recently was at 7.15 average pace the last 6 miles uphill and the fastest so it was a very strong session.

Any training I am doing is fairly good quality stuff though so I'm not overly concerned. There's no specific time goal for London, I'd be happy enough with anything under 3.15 or around 3.10 maybe. I don't think I'm a long way off sub-3 shape at the moment, so if I could put in a decent 5-6 weeks, I might run a very good marathon. That's a big IF though. My 23 miler should give me a good indication of what my endurance is like at the moment.

I'm really looking forward to the weekend in London and the race. We're going to catch The Lion King when we're there. Any word yet on elite runners for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

Training's going in fits and starts for me. I've done a couple of 17 and 18 mile long runs, going to do a 23 this weekend probably. There's just too many other things going on in life at the moment to prioritise marathon training so I've no real proper structure to it. The 18 miler I did recently was at 7.15 average pace the last 6 miles uphill and the fastest so it was a very strong session.

Any training I am doing is fairly good quality stuff though so I'm not overly concerned. There's no specific time goal for London, I'd be happy enough with anything under 3.15 or around 3.10 maybe. I don't think I'm a long way off sub-3 shape at the moment, so if I could put in a decent 5-6 weeks, I might run a very good marathon. That's a big IF though. My 23 miler should give me a good indication of what my endurance is like at the moment.
    jEYES, That's mighty running. Went to see Lion King on Broadway before New York last year. You won't be disappointed. It's a mighty show.
    I'm really looking forward to the weekend in London and the race. We're going to catch The Lion King when we're there. Any word yet on elite runners for this year?

jEYES, That's mighty running. Went to see Lion King on Broadway before New York last year. You won't be disappointed. It's a mighty show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Training has been an absolute disaster. Only back running 4 days since the first week in Jan and have got man flu again:mad: Shin splints are gone but calf muscle is a little weak so haven't run over 6 miles.

London is going to be little more than a training run for me. Having said that I'm looking forward to the weekend and more importantly the post marathon beers:D

I don't like to put pressure on people but some of our UK residents should really have drawn a list of London drinking establishments with appropriate links so that we could vote on our post race watering hole. I'm not mentioning name (robinph, brianderunner & dermcu) but get the fingers out lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Training has been ticking over, not as well as I hoped but coming along. Getting worried about the post Marathon beers as i'm really under trained in this area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I nominate Mr derunner to compile the poll.

How spread out are we all staying so that he can think of somewhere central'ish. I'm staying on The Strand so obviously anywhere within staggering distance of there gets my vote.

Edit:
    shels4ever wrote: »
    Getting worried about the post Marathon beers as i'm really under trained in this area.
    There are not any pacers to help with the PMB's so it's every man for himself, the support along the way is generally fantastic so nobody should have any problems even if they are a bit under trained.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    There are not any pacers to help with the PMB's so it's every man for himself, the support along the way is generally fantastic so nobody should have any problems even if they are a bit under trained.

My aim is to run the marathon quicker than the PMB session. Having said that my last PMB session last a good 14-15 hours so I should be safe.

My aim is to run the marathon quicker than the PMB session. Having said that my last PMB session last a good 14-15 hours so I should be safe.

Better move flights back to tuesday then, or it could be jacobs on the Monday night too....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I would have huge concerns too about my PMB pacing.

I remember a few years ago, I was able to easily combine speed and endurance, often in very large groups of similarily fit people. In fact we used to spur each other on and often it was a challenge to keep up with the pacesetters and the speed of the group as a whole but we always seem to be satisfied after a good session.

These days, I get the odd speed session in, a bit of fartlek and the occassional long and very slow outing.

So, anyway, in a nutshell, I would envisage a blistering start to a PMB session in London, followed by a rapid loss of form around BeerMile 4 and complete meltdown on any subsequent BeerMiles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

London is going to be little more than a training run for me. Having said that I'm looking forward to the weekend and more importantly the post marathon beers:D

I don't like to put pressure on people but some of our UK residents should really have drawn a list of London drinking establishments with appropriate links so that we could vote on our post race watering hole. I'm not mentioning name (robinph, brianderunner & dermcu) but get the fingers out lads.

I was hoping you'd be chasing 6 min miles again. Feck it anyway
    Last year a few of us met up in the Red Lion . dermCu and Jackyback made it in. It only a short walk from the finish. I hope to be heading there again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have to lol at the reviews of the pub. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Abhainn wrote: »
    Last year a few of us met up in the Red Lion . dermCu and Jackyback made it in. It only a short walk from the finish. I hope to be heading there again

Yeah that pub was grand. Funny myself and JB were there for a few hours at the same time yourself and DermCu were there, we just didnt know it.

It might be a good spot for a couple straight after the finish, before we shower, etc and come back for more :D

Waxy's and O'Neills just off Leicester Square (the 2 biggest irish bars in Central London afaik and next door to each other) seem like obvious places for later in the evening, seats are a priority either way. Their both busy pubs (given their west end location) but a Sunday evening should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Yeah that pub was grand. Funny myself and JB were there for a few hours at the same time yourself and DermCu were there, we just didnt know it.

It might be a good spot for a couple straight after the finish, before we shower, etc and come back for more :D

Waxy's and O'Neills just off Leicester Square (the 2 biggest irish bars in Central London afaik and next door to each other) seem like obvious places for later in the evening, seats are a priority either way. Their both busy pubs (given their west end location) but a Sunday evening should be ok

Brian didn't know you were there. JB had voltage issues with his mobile!
    There were are showers a couple of hundred meters on the left past the finish line. I was so happy when I enquired with a stewart if there were any about.

Abhainn wrote: »

Yeah bit of a pity, if it was any other marathon I wouldn't bother doing it but it's hard to turn down the opportunity of running in London.
    Have to lol at the reviews of the pub. :D

Yeah not great are they:eek: seen some reviews on another site and they were similar. I guess we just make sure we don't order food. Eating is cheating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

hoping to do my first 20 this weekend so i'm way behind schedule,had a strain and that put me back a few weeks.still hoping to do about 3:10 though not pushed at this stage,just going to enjoy it.got in through sports international this year but hopefully i'll come out in the lottery some time in the future.

Did my first run last night in my officially designated boxfresh London Marathon runners- went grand and as an added bonus I managed to avoid puddles, mud etc. so they'll look brand new for another few days yet :D

My old ones are toxic at this stage - hadn't been actively tracking the mileage on them but was shocked that it was over the 1,000k mark.

Taking a break this week from my recent relatively high mileage - doing the Adare 10k on Sunday so barring a disaster I should finally break the 40 min barrier.

Wondering if I may buy myself some new shoes. I've only got just over a hundred on the pair I used for the last marathon in November, but thinking that shiny shoes will help me float over the tarmac with more ease.

They may have the same shoes available in a new colour now as well and that's got to be worth getting.

Wondering if I may buy myself some new shoes.

I'm thinking of buying a new pair of legs. Mine are toxic also and won't play ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Wondering if I may buy myself some new shoes. I've only got just over a hundred on the pair I used for the last marathon in November, but thinking that shiny shoes will help me float over the tarmac with more ease.

I got a pair of Asics DS Trainers for this one instead of the GT 2160's I normally wear. Will be interesting to see if the lighter shoe helps, trying hard to convince myself it will anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

opus wrote: »
    I got a pair of Asics DS Trainers for this one instead of the GT 2160's I normally wear. Will be interesting to see if the lighter shoe helps, trying hard to convince myself it will anyway :)

I found the DS trainers (the 16) unimpressive, the 13's were much better. Not sure how the 17's are. I do 80% of my mileage in 2160's.

I tried Adizero Mana's on the long run at the weekend and was hugely impressed and they are the London shoe for now.

I ended up in a pair of Adizero Tempo 3 for the last one. I'd got them for Amsterdam, but then ended up doing a mildly trail'ish marathon in them instead, and survived. Have been mostly using them since for any road races and they make me think I'm speedier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

going to stick with the brooks t6 shoes that i wore in Berlin and Dublin even though they're only recommended for up to half marathon i got through them races with no problems.

This gave me a great laugh yesterday :D

Think it was sent to all runners registered with charities but you can customise the link youreselves to whatever to impress your family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

Nice video.

Chest infection all week. Couldn't run the length of myself at the minute. Had a solid base up to this. Last run was 20m last Saturday. Don't know how long this will take to clear up. How long do you reckon before the fitness would suffer and my time. I think it will take another 4/5 days before I can get back out. Having withdrawals at the minute. It's the garden for me today instead of my long run.

A massive 30 miles for me last week but on the plus side 10 decent miles yesterday. Think injury is sorted now. Still a little. Tenderness.

Made a promise to myself a few years ago I wouldnt run a marathon unless it was under a certain cut off time. I reckon I'll be cutting it fine. Need to get some longer runs in soon or I won't be toeing the line. Will end up propping up the bar instead :)

Low mileage week for me too... had planned to do a 10k race y'day but pulled out due to potential injury concerns.

At this stage of my training I don't think running full pelt for c.40 mins is a good idea. Was doing a track session (15 x 400m) on Friday night and felt a mild twang in my ankle so abandoned halfway thru. Did a fairly quick-ish 5 mile y'day instead and felt ok.

Am putting the twang down to the intro of new runners...hope I haven't done any damage:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I only wish I had just had a low mileage week. Just had my first No-mileage week in the middle of a marathon programme since 2009! Been dosed with chest infection for a week and a half. In hindsight, running 7 miles in the rain and cold when I felt it coming on wasn't the smartest idea. Nor was the 23 miler the day after a PMP 10 miler. I'm entered for the half in Bohermeen this Sunday so hopefully I'll be healthy by then.

I'm having such a topsy-turvy run-up to London. Some of my long runs, I've felt as good as I've ever done. But then, I know I'm not getting nearly enough miles in and have just missed a full week in training. I'm definitely glad that I set the sights low for this a long way back. Any half decent time will be fine, I'm going to London to enjoy the experience I think at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

I found the DS trainers (the 16) unimpressive, the 13's were much better. Not sure how the 17's are. I do 80% of my mileage in 2160's.

This isn't the sort of thing I want to be hearing :)

They're going to post out something in March as far as I remember, reason I ask is that it will have to be forwarded to me from my friend's house in Scotland but imagine there will be plenty time.

A massive 30 miles for me last week but on the plus side 10 decent miles yesterday. Think injury is sorted now. Still a little. Tenderness.

Made a promise to myself a few years ago I wouldnt run a marathon unless it was under a certain cut off time. I reckon I'll be cutting it fine. Need to get some longer runs in soon or I won't be toeing the line. Will end up propping up the bar instead :)

50 odd miles this week with a 14 mile long run :D Will continue building up slowly and should have no problems getting around in a decent time.

Seen as our UK residents are incredibly slow getting the post session organised I will give them a helping hand ;) I'm planning on placing 6 cans of dutch gold* into my race bag and on completion of race I will be seated in the meet zone under the letter K (for knacker drinking) supping my cans and eating a large bag of crisps. It's not every day you can have a bag full of cans in her majesty's back garden.

*or UK equivalent

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I'm planning on placing 6 cans of dutch gold* into my race bag and on completion of race I will be seated in the meet zone under the letter K (for knacker drinking) supping my cans and eating a large bag of crisps. It's not every day you can have a bag full of cans in her majesty's back garden.

*or UK equivalent

Ye'll have the can of London Pride from the goody bag aswell!!!

• Advertisement

50 odd miles this week with a 14 mile long run :D Will continue building up slowly and should have no problems getting around in a decent time.

Seen as our UK residents are incredibly slow getting the post session organised I will give them a helping hand ;) I'm planning on placing 6 cans of dutch gold* into my race bag and on completion of race I will be seated in the meet zone under the letter K (for knacker drinking) supping my cans and eating a large bag of crisps. It's not every day you can have a bag full of cans in her majesty's back garden.

*or UK equivalent
    only 6 cans?

Advertisement