Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 22/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hadn't thought of that. :D

May as well just give up with the "training" now, turn up at the start line, plod round, get tshirt, drink beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Depends on where you're flying in to. Anywhere on the DLR is fine, Stratford perhaps, there's loads of new hotels there for the olympics. Check your route to the start in Greenwich using the TFL website to see how long (and convenient) your journey is.

Somewhere near Canary Wharf or the ExCel centre is convenient for the start and expo while somewhere closer to town is handy for after the finish. See what you find, it's a big city! Any questions just shout.

Thanks for the info...have found a half-decent hotel near Liverpool st. station so will probably go with that. Travelling with Mrs. Cartman78 so don't want to strand her too far from the centre.

Despite having been to London a fair few times over the years, my geography of it is still hazy at best :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info...have found a half-decent hotel near Liverpool st. station so will probably go with that. Travelling with Mrs. Cartman78 so don't want to strand her too far from the centre.

Despite having been to London a fair few times over the years, my geography of it is still hazy at best :(

Liverpool St. is in "the city" which is quite enough at the weekends compared to the west end. From there you can get the Northern line tube from Moorgate or Bank to London Bridge then catch the train to Blackheath, mentioned above by Village Runner.

To get to the expo get the DLR from Bank to the ExCel centre, try to avoid making this trip in the rush hour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

To get to the expo get the DLR from Bank to the ExCel centre, try to avoid making this trip in the rush hour.

Was just about to ask where we'd have to be going to collect numbers. Is it just the Saturday that the Expo is open?

robinph wrote: »
    Was just about to ask where we'd have to be going to collect numbers. Is it just the Saturday that the Expo is open?

Weds, Thurs, Fri and Sat it's open. Its the ExCel centre (Custom House on the DLR) down by London City Airport/Canary Wharf area. It's quite a trek from town.

• Advertisement

Excellent, that potentially gives me a few more options with trying to fit in weddings and wheeling old relatives about in wheelchairs and not wanting to be treking across the city myself on the day before hand.

121 days to go :eek:

How are people getting on??

I've managed to stay injury free so far; it's my first time training for a spring marathon so not used of heavy mileage in the middle of winter.

My LSR is up to 25k - planning to go 27/28k sometime next week.

121 days to go :eek:

How are people getting on??

I've managed to stay injury free so far; it's my first time training for a spring marathon so not used of heavy mileage in the middle of winter.

My LSR is up to 25k - planning to go 27/28k sometime next week.

Getting on fine here. Plan is still for sub 3 (i think). Marathon pace run on the way for me in the Stephens Day 10 mile race to see how it feels. The MP runs before my sub attempt in Berlin felt close to tempo efforts, knew it wasnt sustainable.

It's great to have a spring marathon to get you out the door every evening. Loads of runners out on the roads over here every evening, great to see.

Good stuff - not 100% sure yet if I'll be toeing the line in Caherdavin...multiple unpredictable factors involved at the moment.

Have signed up for Dungarvan 10 miler at the end of January as well so will be looking to smash PB from Great South Run a couple of years ago.

I haven't got a concrete target in my head yet for London tbh - sub 3:15 is within range if things go well for the next 120 days, and if things go really really well then I reckon I could be knocking on the 3:10 door

Going a bit rubbish here to be honest, not really felt on form since the marathon at the beginning of November and getting a bit annoyed with things. Have the results of my yearly checkup/ service next week though so hoping they can explain a couple of things and I can sort my mind and body out a bit and then do some proper training.

<gives self a slap>Sort yourself out robinph, stop making excuses, and do a marathon properly for a change. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Out injured myself for the last few weeks. Ran 5 today but feel i have only one leg since. Feels like runners knee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'm in. Have a GFA number. Didn't think I'd be running but have been given the green light. No target time yet, will make a call early march. If Im not in pb shape an attempt at one of the "running a marathon while dressed up as a superhero" world records might be on the cards :)

Im available for pints on the Sunday. Many many pints

Just looking at flights at the moment. I'm planning on flying over Saturday and am hoping Shels will be able to pick my number up on the Friday for me.

Assuming there is a problem I would like to head straight to the expo on landing and pick up my number. Anyone a rough idea how long it would take to get from Heathrow to the Excel?

I'm looking at a flight that will land at 1.30ish so this should give me plenty of time. However if it's cutting it fine I'll book an earlier flight.

How's every bodies training going. Only 112 days left to get into optimum race shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Assuming there is a problem I would like to head straight to the expo on landing and pick up my number. Anyone a rough idea how long it would take to get from Heathrow to the Excel?

I did this on Saturday last year - I'd say allow an hour and a half for the journey to Excel. Best route is Piccadilly line to Green Park, change to Jubilee Line to Canning town then change to DLR to Excel arena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Just looking at flights at the moment. I'm planning on flying over Saturday and am hoping Shels will be able to pick my number up on the Friday for me.

I'm looking at a flight that will land at 1.30ish so this should give me plenty of time. However if it's cutting it fine I'll book an earlier flight.

How's every bodies training going. Only 112 days left to get into optimum race shape.

Shouldn't be a problem but there could be a mix up and I could end up with a GFN number and you'll be stuck back with the rest of the plebs.

Don't fly to Heathrow for the London marathon, wrong side of the city totally. The Piccadilly line is some grind and you'll be an hour and a half getting to ExCel.

London City is easily best (planes almost scrape the expo before they land), then Gatwick. Half hour from Gatwick to London Bridge on a train where you'll pick up the Jubilee line much closer to Canning Town.

I can pick up anyones number no problem and meet you with it when you arrive in London.

Don't fly to Heathrow for the London marathon, wrong side of the city totally. The Piccadilly line is some grind and you'll be an hour and a half getting to ExCel.

London City is easily best (planes almost scrape the expo before they land), then Gatwick. Half hour from Gatwick to London Bridge on a train where you'll pick up the Jubilee line much closer to Canning Town.

I can pick up anyones number no problem and meet you with it when you arrive in London.

Fcuk.q Booked flights last night and chose heathrow. Yeah looked at London city but were pricey. I just decided to fly a little earlier so even if I have to make my way to the excel I have plenty of time. Thanks anyway. Anybody else think the london marathon website is a bit ****? I thought there would be wy more generals infometc on it but a lot of it seems tombe still under construction etc.

Yeah, London City Flights are always way more expensive.

I've decided to go over on Friday afternoon - may do the dash then or leave it till Saturday - Tip - don't plan on eating out there - the food last year in the Excel wasn't great and me tank told me about it at about 10.30 on Sunday Morning!!

Getting the early flight from Shannon to Heathrow on the Saturday - haven't put too much thought into the logistics of the Expo yet tbh.

I may be able to arrange for someone to collect my number on the Friday I think - is the Expo itself worth going to? Or is just thousands of stressed out people milling about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Going over early on the Friday morning myself, planning on getting my number that afternoon then feet up for the night .

Getting the early flight from Shannon to Heathrow on the Saturday - haven't put too much thought into the logistics of the Expo yet tbh.

I may be able to arrange for someone to collect my number on the Friday I think - is the Expo itself worth going to? Or is just thousands of stressed out people milling about?

It's a good expo and you can pick up cheap gear. However I have a policy of get in and and get out of expos. Can be very draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

It's a good expo and you can pick up cheap gear. However I have a policy of get in and and get out of expos. Can be very draining.

Yes - the London Expo is a huge thing - and can really drain the legs walking around at shuffle pace from various stalls.

I think the journey from Heathrow to the Expo, while it takes Tube, Tube, and then DLR, is not *too* bad once you are not in a hurry. So TheRoadRunner - you made a good choice booking an earlier flight.

I find with flights to LHR - the earlier you can get out of Dublin the better - because there can be a snowball effect of lateness as the schedule stretches out over the day.

Just leave the pre-marathon hydration until you are settled back in your hotel ;)

BTW - You are probably aiming to beat that superb Berlin time of yours... any other Irish lads there to run with at your end of business?

The Hammer wrote: »
    BTW - You are probably aiming to beat that superb Berlin time of yours... any other Irish lads there to run with at your end of business?

Not too sure of target time yet but a friend of mine is targeting 2.35 or lower so we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I got to expo at about 11am last year. It wasn't too bad. Paula Radcliff gave a good interview at the main area.
    Goodies bags aren't great but you do get a can of London Pride beer to keep the carbing up

30k this morning :D Deffo the longest run I've done at this stage of marathon preparation so feeling pretty chuffed with myself.

Looking forward to Dungarvan 10 at the end of the month for a stretch of the legs; still trying to sort a half-marathon - the only options seem to be Kinvara Rock & Road or Connemara Half :confused:

30k this morning :D Deffo the longest run I've done at this stage of marathon preparation so feeling pretty chuffed with myself.

Looking forward to Dungarvan 10 at the end of the month for a stretch of the legs; still trying to sort a half-marathon - the only options seem to be Kinvara Rock & Road or Connemara Half :confused:

There's a half in Meath on March 4 (Bohermeen i think). I think i'll give that one a lash - reasonable price too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Presume everyone's starting the training plans for this now?

Finished the first week of the 12-week P&D today which I started a bit early to let me juggle weekends off. Must say I really dislike the first week with its 8 mile at marathon pace LSR, it's like starting school after the holidays & having an exam at the end of the first week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

Anybody have a rough idea how long it would take from finish to Gatwick. Thanks

• Advertisement

Anybody have a rough idea how long it would take from finish to Gatwick. Thanks

Get to Victoria - not too far from finish but with crowds its a bit unpredictable. Gatwick express goes every 15 minutes and takes about 30-35 minutes to get there.

Advertisement