Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 22/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Is this the only notification you get that everything has gone through? I'm just wondering if they send a second letter out to say they received the 2nd form and cheque.
    Cheers.

Yes, it seems they don't send any confirmation or anything until October when the magazines are sent out to everybody entered, including the lottery applicants. It's a very weird system. I'd say they get mobbed with calls from people checking the status of their application to make sure they're in. No other major marathon I've entered has the same antiquated entry set-up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They have no need to confirm anything else though. You have already been confirmed a place and race number, once you send them a cheque that is you confirming their offer of a place.

Hopefully you get in misty, I'm looking forward to you screaming your way down The Mall during my finishing video. But I've now been told by one of my brothers that I should be targeting 2:45 by then or he isn't interested. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

robinph wrote: »
    They have no need to confirm anything else though. You have already been confirmed a place and race number, once you send them a cheque that is you confirming their offer of a place.

Hopefully you get in misty, I'm looking forward to you screaming your way down The Mall during my finishing video. But I've now been told by one of my brothers that I should be targeting 2:45 by then or he isn't interested. :eek:

Ha ha that was great at Dublin. You wont be hearing screams from me finishing at that pace though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Crap, got a letter to say no entry. Suppose it was expected. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Anyone know when we get news on the ballot? What date? Other than October, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When did the ballot even happen?

When did the ballot even happen?

I didnt say it did, just wondering when we'll find out if we're in or not? Been searching online but to no avail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

From memory, it's usually about a week before DCM.

I'd just been expecting to notice a bit more "noise" about when it did happen, either from you lot or from people in my club here. Guess I just wasn't paying enough attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

End of april is when the ballot opens. Can't remember exactly but it's only open for about 48 hours if memory serves me right. Early October is when you notified. I have applied unsuccessfully for last 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

E-mail from organsers today:

Are you getting excited in anticipation of finding out whether you’ve got a place in the Virgin London Marathon? If you can, try and put this to the back of your mind for now – the results will be announced in early October - and if you haven’t already, kick-start your training for this race or any other you might be considering running.

David Bedford, Race Director, Virgin London Marathon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Knowing my luck I'll get a place this time now that my plans for April - August are more or less set on stone and don't include running London...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Knowing my luck I'll get a place this time now that my plans for April - August are more or less set on stone and don't include running London...

Ah there is no way you could turn a place down, bloody amazing race. I hope either my twin brother up North, my wife or I get in for a place:)

Good for age acceptance pack came through the post today. :)

Just a load of advertising from charities trying to get you to raise money for them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good for age acceptance pack came through the post today. :)

Just a load of advertising from charities trying to get you to raise money for them really.
    Be great if 'someone' put together a very brief FAQ, for how to apply for a good-for-age place. Like what you need, when you need to do it, etc..

Woohoo, mine arrived in post in UK this morning too.. Good job seeing as I'd already booked flights and hotels!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I would take it from you, with some cheap surgery I could pass for you, no bother :pac:

Marathon talk on FB saying this is the whole ballot, so done early, not "early October" I guess.

I would take it from you, with some cheap surgery I could pass for you, no bother :pac:

I would just tippex out the "F" on the number, wouldnt bother me tbh. Vagga those of us who live closest to the race will have first call on unwanted boardsie numbers, i made that up just there :)

Their page seems a bit wrong as they are refering to the 2012 entries but then say you need a time from a marathon in 2010 or 2011 to get into the 2012 one which is not correct:

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

There were cut of dates for when the qualifying time had to be done, and it was more specific than just year. I think last year that the date was something around Berlin weekend.

You do need to be a UK "resident", and send them a copy of proof of age such as passport or driving license. Passport is probably better as that won't show an address that conflicts with the address of your aunt's that you are claiming to live at in the UK. ;)

You need to pay them by cheque from a UK bank or with a postal order, and there are only a couple of weeks between them sending the confirmation that you can have a place and when you need to get that cheque and form back to them. So you need to have an efficient "aunt" living in London to sort your post for you.

FAQ on how to get Good for Age place in London marathon:

Q1. What time do I need to qualify?
    A1. For Senior Men, the qualifying time is 3.10, 3.15 for ages 41-59. For senior ladies, the time is 3.50 for any lady under 50.

Q2. What proof of time is required?
    A2: Proof of time from a certificate, splits from official marathon site, or apparantly newspaper clippings. As well as this, a Proof of Age is required, such as copy of drivers licence or passport. Note that this does not have to be UK, Irish licence or passport is fine.

Q3. Will any marathon do?
    A3. Big city marathons will always be fine. However, there may be question marks over some smaller marathons where timing or distance may not be verified.

Q4. Is Good for Age open for foreign (ie Irish runners)?
    A4. Strictly speaking No. The criteria is that Good for Age is for UK residents. However, all you really need is a correspondene address in the UK

Q5. Do London Marathon GFA committee look for proof of residence in the UK with the application?
    A5. No. However, it may be an idea to send in your race cert or proof of time without showing that you are Irish. It doesn't seem strict.

Q6. When can you apply?
    A6. GFA can be sent in from around the end of April and has to be received by July. If you pass the inspection of the panel, an application will be sent to the UK address given.

Q7. How is payment handled?
    A7. The entry fee is around about the £20 mark. This is payable with the completed application form. I would suggest that it is important that this be paid with a UK Sterling cheque and not Euro.

Q8. When is a proof of entry or receipt sent to the runner?
    A8. After payment, nothing is sent to the successful applicant until end September/early October. However, it is possible to ring the GFA desk at London marathon to ensure everything is in order.

Q9. What are the perks of GFA over the ballot or other entry routes?
    A9. Obviously, it's pretty much guaranteed. As well as that, there is a favourable starting pen closer to the front than the masses with allegedly, more space, more portaloos, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Posted 1 hr ago by Virgin London Marathon

"Exciting news: Accepted and Rejected magazines have now been sent and will be landing on doormats any day now!"

I'm in

My acceptance pack was delivered this morning and i spotted it now at lunchtime (I live in London btw) Over the moon :p

Is it too soon to decide where to go for post race beers? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

RubyK wrote: »
    Posted 1 hr ago by Virgin London Marathon

"Exciting news: Accepted and Rejected magazines have now been sent and will be landing on doormats any day now!"

Hey guys, I entered the ballot too last April. How does it work - do you recieve an e-mail confirming acceptance/ rejection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Q9. What are the perks of GFA over the ballot or other entry routes?
    A9. Obviously, it's pretty much guaranteed. As well as that, there is a favourable starting pen closer to the front than the masses with allegedly, more space, more portaloos, etc.

The advantages on the day cannot be underestimated, and it makes for a very pleasant race day experience. GFAs get priority treatment at the start with their own area to warm-up, rest etc. It even has people walking around handing out bottles of water, free tea and coffee etc, as well as an abundance of portaloos and a dedicated bag drop. You're kept in this holding area until about 10 minutes before the start before being shepherded into a reserved start area at the front of one of the two starts (the front of the other start is the elites and championship runners*).

* In order to qualify as a championship runner you need to run a slightly faster time (not sure how much) and be a member of a UK athletics club.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm in

So - sub-3 or in a costume for charity? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

ELFOYZER wrote: »
    Hey guys, I entered the ballot too last April. How does it work - do you recieve an e-mail confirming acceptance/ rejection?

Afaik, you get a magazine in the post, with accepted or rejected on it. Best of luck :)

RayCun wrote: »
    So - sub-3 or in a costume for charity? biggrin.gif

Lol, not sure. Just when i had retired from marathons this comes along smile.gif
    RubyK wrote: »
    Afaik, you get a magazine in the post, with accepted or rejected on it. Best of luck :)

Yep a magazine and a load of charity stuff. Red clear plastic around it. Before i even picked it up i could see "Provisional Acceptance Form" through the plastic :)

Peckham wrote: »
    The advantages on the day cannot be underestimated, and it makes for a very pleasant race day experience. GFAs get priority treatment at the start with their own area to warm-up, rest etc. It even has people walking around handing out bottles of water, free tea and coffee etc, as well as an abundance of portaloos and a dedicated bag drop. You're kept in this holding area until about 10 minutes before the start before being shepherded into a reserved start area at the front of one of the two starts (the front of the other start is the elites and championship runners*).

* In order to qualify as a championship runner you need to run a slightly faster time (not sure how much) and be a member of a UK athletics club.

Sub 2'45 it is to be a champs runner and its free entry. I have gfa for 2013, sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Lol, not sure. Just when i had retired from marathons this comes along smile.gif

Advertisement