Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 22/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Where you staying? Couple of tube suspensions on Sunday..

Don't forget - free travel for all runners on Sunday on TFL

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/londonmarathon/

Up to 17:00... so you won't need money for the train/bus... just beer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Cant say for sure yet.

Was at the doctor today, there is nothing seriously wrong with me thankfully. He's almost sure i have/had a virus caused by overdoing it in February. I was passed fit to run it by him, but he said i wouldnt be able to perform at peak level.

I really don't want to miss out so i'm more than likely to run at this stage, but i'll see how the rest of the week goes. Still a bit woozy/light headed.

Cool. Call into my hotel Saturday evening and I'll you a few slaps and a couple of HTFU roars. You'll be laughing come Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

robinph wrote: »
    This is my approximate understanding of the coloured starts from what I've picked up in various places:

Green will certainly have slower people in it, but I think it is a small start area with just "special" people in it.
    Red is fast good for age followed by charity runners.
    Blue is elite, followed by deferred entries and ballot.

Just to add that a guy in my club who had a vets GFA time started from the green pen. He was mightily p***d off beforehand but very happy at the reality as he got past the celebs very quickly and had a clear run for the first few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

Good commentary from Boston to get you in the mood for Sunday

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/microsite/article/0,8029,s6-239-506-0-14256-0,00.html

I like this weather forecast. Light winds and light rain. Was looking at one last night that predicted higher winds and colder temps. I reckon I'll be wearing a base layer under my singlet or a t-shirt I can throw away. Based on the 20 forecasts :D I've looked at I have a feeling it could be quite chilly at the start area.

Only 4 more sleeps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I like this weather forecast. Light winds and light rain. Was looking at one last night that predicted higher winds and colder temps. I reckon I'll be wearing a base layer under my singlet or a t-shirt I can throw away. Based on the 20 forecasts :D I've looked at I have a feeling it could be quite chilly at the start area.

Only 4 more sleep attempts :)

FYP ;)

Cartman78 wrote: »
    FYP ;)

you need to get a couple of night caps in to ya ;)

Any of ye doing any running this week at all?

Going for a 5k jog this evening to keep things loose & limber

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That weather looks a lot better than the earlier forecasts we were getting. Don't want to get drenched, but the speed of the wind that was in other reports was not great so glad to see that come down. Especially as we'll be a bit exposed to it coming down the Embankment if it's in the wrong direction.

Got my bin bag ready for the start, and have even invested in a tshirt to throw away. Won't be wearing any extra layers under the vest though as will soon get too hot and I don't think it's going to be that bad.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Any of ye doing any running this week at all?

Going for a 5k jog this evening to keep things loose & limber

yeah 25 minutes Monday and 40 minutes yesterday. Have a few miles today with 3 MP miles thrown in. After that the engine will be turned off in anticipation of Sunday's run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did a slow 6 and a bit with the club on Monday and 2x10mins at MP yesterday. Heading to the Expo tomorrow to fetch the number and will probably go for a slow jog around the village where I'm at for a wedding on Friday.

Then just chill out and eat loads of pasta, drink lots of water. Then flip a coin to decide whether I use the 2:55 or the 2:50 pace band that I printed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Did 9 miles a couple of days ago with the young fella in the buggy. Only 2 of them were MP, but pushing a 1 year old up and down hills has got to be worth something.. Might run a couple of miles on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Did 8 on Monday with a few 400's.
    6 last night
    rest today
    4 easy tomorrow.
    rest Friday (travelling)
    2 or 3 easy on Saturday morning in Hyde Park!!

There are several weather forecasts around - all similar and all with light enough winds - mainly westerly which will get us on the home stretch, particularly on the embankment. These may swing northwesterly which wont be too bad as we get closer to Westminster - it'll be against you for the last 1/2 mile but at that stage it wont matter. Anyway all could change yet!!. The biggest element that all the forecasts seem to agree on is that it will be wet (although light) and cool.

I've no complaints there!!! - if we have a friendly wind we could be in business!!! - all in all it'll be very different from last year!
    Anyway, as someone said to me yesterday, it doesn't what it throws we will be lining up!!!. I'm against a base layer - you will heat up!!.

Make sure you keep warm at the start as it is forecast, again by all forecasters to be cool/ cold early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Did a slow 6 and a bit with the club on Monday and 2x10mins at MP yesterday. Heading to the Expo tomorrow to fetch the number and will probably go for a slow jog around the village where I'm at for a wedding on Friday.

Then just chill out and eat loads of pasta, drink lots of water. Then flip a coin to decide whether I use the 2:55 or the 2:50 pace band that I printed out.
    Why not do a 2.55 and a 2.53........why go out with a lad that is running for 2.50 that won't lose sleep over whether you are with him at the start and might get lost in the first mile anyway. Make a decision and stick to it. I wouldn't dream of aiming for 2.45........not in this marathon anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

That weather looks a lot better than the earlier forecasts we were getting. Don't want to get drenched, but the speed of the wind that was in other reports was not great so glad to see that come down. Especially as we'll be a bit exposed to it coming down the Embankment if it's in the wrong direction.

Got my bin bag ready for the start, and have even invested in a tshirt to throw away. Won't be wearing any extra layers under the vest though as will soon get too hot and I don't think it's going to be that bad.

Wind here has been strong all week yeah, especially so today. It's been p1ssing out of the heavens here the last 3 mornings/afternoons too. A throwaway raincoat for the start wouldnt be the worst idea imo. A little shocked at how cold its been also, freezing around 8am and again in the evenings/nights. 4 days off yet but the forecast looks like more of the same.
    Heading to the Expo tomorrow to fetch the number

Me too, during the day or evening? I'll be there at 7pm ish.

Me too, during the day or evening? I'll be there at 7pm ish.

Will be the afternoon. Have to head down somewhere in Brighton direction for the evening so won't be hanging around that late.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have a few miles today with 3 MP miles thrown in. .

Which is? :)

Which is? :)

company secret ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

company secret ;)
    5:5x ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

last tough run today 8 miles with 2 at pmp,felt good considering i've a head cold.hopefully it won't effect me that much for sunday.looking forward to getting on the plane friday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Same for me, did the P&D 'dress rehearsal' at lunchtime today, weather was typically Irish with blazing sunshine followed by lashing rain that repeated three times in the hour or so I was out :)

Weather on the UK Met Office site look reasonable enough so here's hoping for a good day on Sunday.

Best of luck to everyone & perhaps might see some of you at the Coal Hole on Sunday afternoon.

Did 6k last night at something close to MP - my heel was quite stiff for first mile or so but was a-ok after that.

Was tempted to do a few Yasso 800m's on the track after that but luckily had the sense to avoid doing a session I've never done before and would have made fupp all difference at this stage anyway.

Watched the video from the Expo on Facebook last night - still can't believe I'll be there on Satuday :eek: Only 2 more days of pretending to work to go

opus wrote: »

Weather on the UK Met Office site look reasonable enough so here's hoping for a good day on Sunday.

Best of luck to everyone & perhaps might see some of you at the Coal Hole on Sunday afternoon.

I'd take that forecast, the air temps are perfect. Cool enough to keep the body temp down but not so cold that a bit of marathon effort won't have us freezing. Planning my logistics today, getting f-all done in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I'd take that forecast, the air temps are perfect. Cool enough to keep the body temp down but not so cold that a bit of marathon effort won't have us freezing. Planning my logistics today, getting f-all done in work.

Temp are probably going to be perfect. Thankfully light breeze forecast also.
    Had a 5 miler early this morning. Legs weren't bouncing or anything, but I've been here before. Good luck everyone

The forecasts are remaining fairly constant. If they stay the way they are, besides keeping warm at the start it'll be good!.

All the best to everyone. and lets get that chart full of PB's.

Was just wondering what are peoples opinions regards travel options for the weekend etc.

I'm flying into heathrow and am probably going to get the express to Paddington, return ticket is 34 quid. Anyone find anything cheaper? I also will need to use the underground Saturday (4 trips) and Monday (2 trips so was wondering is it any use getting a 3 day card. I'm sure there will be 1/2 extra trips also. I'll obviously check all this later but am being a lazy sod :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I'm travelling in a group of four, and as we're landing into Heathrow at 9.30pm Friday, gonna get a taxi to the hotel in the city. I don't fancy luggin bags around two or three different trains at that time of night..

Is there a day ticket that can be got for the underground?

It says on the website that marathoners have free travel on the underground all day until 5pm on Sunday. At least that'll cover gettin to the start line and back to hotel to pick up bags after. We're flying home Sunday evening.

Was just wondering what are peoples opinions regards travel options for the weekend etc.

I'm flying into heathrow and am probably going to get the express to Paddington, return ticket is 34 quid. Anyone find anything cheaper? I also will need to use the underground Saturday (4 trips) and Monday (2 trips so was wondering is it any use getting a 3 day card. I'm sure there will be 1/2 extra trips also. I'll obviously check all this later but am being a lazy sod :)

The Underground is a lot cheaper (Piccadilly line and Circle/ Metropolitan). Circle/ metro lines can be a bit slow though. This option will probably take longer!!

I think The Underground day passes are good value.

Someone else might have a better proposal!!! I wont be offended.

Podge83 wrote: »
    The Underground is a lot cheaper (Piccadilly line and Circle/ Metropolitan). Circle/ metro lines can be a bit slow though. This option will probably take longer!!

I think The Underground day passes are good value.

Someone else might have a better proposal!!! I wont be offended.

Yeah I realsie the express is expensive but it's very quick and don't want to be hanging around so that's why I'm considering it

• Advertisement

I'm sure some of the locals will be along in a bit with accurate advice, but deffo getting the Tube is the more economical way to go from Heathrow.

There's probably a good option for day tickets alright - I go to London a few times a year so have an Oyster card which I can top up whenever. Works out a lot cheaper on a per journey basis.

Haven't gone in to forensics yet on my marathon morning journey - am hoping that there will be thousands of people doing the same journey so it'll be a case of following the masses...don't want to have to rely on my increasingly addled sense of direction :(

Advertisement