Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 22/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

You should be able to pick up an oyster card in the station, 5 pound deposit that you get back if you want, max charge then is 8 pound a day for as many trips as you want or jsut pay per trip ie 2 pound depending on zones etc.
    https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Road Runner - I dont want you to cursing me!!!

From London Transport:

Circle line

On Saturday and Sunday, Paddington (Hammersmith & City) station is closed in order to improve the station.

Hammersmith & City line

On Saturday and Sunday, Paddington (Hammersmith & City) station is closed in order to improve the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Top tip for all the tube virgins: Just remember to stand on the left hand side if you are going up or down the escalators. Don't worry if the locals shake a fist in your direction - its just their way of being friendly and wishing you good luck in the marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Podge83 wrote: »
    Road Runner - I dont want you to cursing me!!!

From London Transport:

Circle line

Hammersmith & City line

Thanks I'm taking line from Paddington so I guess I should be OK. Will have to check this later

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

dermCu wrote: »
    Top tip for all the tube virgins: Just remember to stand on the left hand side if you are going up or down the escalators. Don't worry if the locals shake a fist in your direction - its just their way of being friendly and wishing you good luck in the marathon.
    :D

That is evil advice. You are trying to cause an international incident on the tube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

robinph wrote: »

That is evil advice. You are trying to cause an international incident on the tube.

+1

Everyone knows you stand on the right, and put your suitcase on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Folks,

Good luck to all of you running it. Hopefully you'll have a super day and it will be injury/rain/snow/mad priests free!!
    And remember you're representing the country so don't go letting us down :D
    Will look out for club singlets on the box on Sunday.

J

God it's like going to a different country.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    You should be able to pick up an oyster card in the station, 5 pound deposit that you get back if you want, max charge then is 8 pound a day for as many trips as you want or jsut pay per trip ie 2 pound depending on zones etc.
    https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do[/QUOTE]

+1, oyster cards are the way to go deffo. 20 quid should cover you for the weekend.
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    I'm sure some of the locals will be along in a bit with accurate advice, but deffo getting the Tube is the more economical way to go from Heathrow.

There's probably a good option for day tickets alright - I go to London a few times a year so have an Oyster card which I can top up whenever. Works out a lot cheaper on a per journey basis.

Haven't gone in to forensics yet on my marathon morning journey - am hoping that there will be thousands of people doing the same journey so it'll be a case of following the masses...don't want to have to rely on my increasingly addled sense of direction :(

The tube is about £2.50/£3 with an oyster card yeah. Much much cheaper than the Heathrow Express, even if its 45 mins to Leicester Square. Always get a seat too as it starts in Heathrow. If your not going to near Paddington or using the Barkerloo or Circle Line from Paddington to your hotel its a right pain and your trip will take just as long. The circle line tube station in Paddington is quite confusing, there's 2 stations, the one down the platform is better than the one at the front of the station. As with all metro systems, the end point of the train is vital.

London is mightily confusing at first yes, for you Cartman, easier to get the Central Line (red on map) eastbound at Queensway (which is beside Hyde Park) then switch to the Bakerloo line (brown on map) southbound at Oxford Circus and you'll be in Charing Cross then to catch the Blackheath train.

Weather update, p!ssing down again all day today but warmer than before :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's sunny at Excel right now.

Just got my number and saw Steve Way getting nabbed by someone with a microphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

[QUOTE=Brianderunner;78217588
    London is mightily confusing at first yes, for you Cartman, easier to get the Central Line (red on map) eastbound at Queensway (which is beside Hyde Park) then switch to the Bakerloo line (brown on map) southbound at Oxford Circus and you'll be in Charing Cross then to catch the Blackheath train.

Weather update, p!ssing down again all day today but warmer than before :D[/QUOTE]

Cheers Brian, will give that route a lash so.

Most times I'm over in London I'm with someone who knows their way around so generally don't pay too much attention to the journey logistics

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Haileunlikely

Your race number will get you free travel all day Sunday till 5pm, so no need to worry about tickets getting to the start

It's sunny at Excel right now.

Thunder and lightning in North London :D I expect a deluge this weekend, regardless of the forecasts. It hasnt rained here in 2 months and now it's payback :p

As regards my participation? Trying a run this evening and i'll make a decision tomorrow. 90% out at the moment, need to be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

packing now :eek:

After a little scare when the hotel told me my room was gone, but have been moved into a 2 bed appt now, so won't have the constent HTFU from the road runner the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Then just chill out and eat loads of pasta, drink lots of water. Then flip a coin to decide whether I use the 2:55 or the 2:50 pace band that I printed out.

I'm debating the 2:50 or 2:55, leaning towards 2:50. Might see you there on the day. Should be wearing a Kilcoole AC singlet.

shels4ever wrote: »
    packing now :eek:

After a little scare when the hotel told me my room was gone, but have been moved into a 2 bed appt now, so won't have the constent HTFU from the road runner the night before.

Play your cards right and you might big boy ;)

After a shocking run again tonight i've finally given up on the London Marathon this year :( Gonna defer and try again in 12 months. Disappointing but its the right decision. I'm only 27 so there will be plenty more races.

Best of luck to everyone competing and i'll see you all either on the course or in the pub after.

After a shocking run again tonight i've finally given up on the London Marathon this year :( Gonna defer and try again in 12 months. Disappointing but its the right decision. I'm only 27 so there will be plenty more races.

Best of luck to everyone competing and i'll see you all either on the course or in the pub after.
    Good call, it's been a dream race for you and might leave a bitter taste if you had to dnf. Enjoy the main race and get the beers in for after. :)

Then just chill out and eat loads of pasta, drink lots of water. Then flip a coin to decide whether I use the 2:55 or the 2:50 pace band that I printed out.

I'm debating the 2:50 or 2:55, leaning towards 2:50. Might see you there on the day. Should be wearing a Kilcoole AC singlet.

This will be me:
    7094445697_acf762446a.jpg

I'm leaning towards trying for the faster end of that time bracket as well. It's a big chunk quicker than I've done before, but I'm feeling good about it and if things all go right then I think it is within my grasp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Best of luck everybody

Looking through the pile of crap I was handed at the expo yesterday, I came across a flyer for DCM. It included a picture from the start and The Road Runners head can be seen amongst the masses, with big green balloon attached. :D

Is the Expo worth spending time at?

Heading over tomorrow morning - wouldn't mind picking up a few bits and bobs. Have a ton of gear at home that needs to be put down.

Fingers crossed nobody is looking too closely at my work productivity this week - 5th marathon for me and deffo can't remember being this anxious/excited/demented leading up to any of the others

I was expecting to spend longer there, bit I guess because there wasn't any crowds I got round quite quickly. Was only there for about an hour and a half, and that included sitting down and having a coffee for a while as well.

Bought a couple of things, the tshirt which is a mirror image of the Rotterdam one I have from a couple of years ago, some socks, an SPI belt and a new Garmin HRM strap.

If anyone is after accessories for their Garmins then they are doing 50% off on their stand. Not on any of the watches, but all the other stuff. They did talk me into getting a cadence sensor for the bike as they were being sold cheap, but then they realised they didn't actually have any.

Edit: Don't forget to collect your goody bag on the way out of the expo either. You'll be needing the can of London Pride for the knacker drinking session in Horse Guards Parade.

Looking through the pile of crap I was handed at the expo yesterday, I came across a flyer for DCM. It included a picture from the start and The Road Runners head can be seen amongst the masses, with big green balloon attached. :D

I hope you are not insinuating that I am a pile of crap ;) I'm expecting the UK entries to DCM to rocket in 2012 with a handsome devil like myself advertising the race :D
    I
    Edit: Don't forget to collect your goody bag on the way out of the expo either. You'll be needing the can of London Pride for the knacker drinking session in Horse Guards Parade.

Excellent point. I say we designate meeting point X in the Repatriation area to commence the session. I was thinking B for Boards but that is probably too close to the finish, k for knacker drinking is right beside J and with the number of Mr/Mrs Jones in the UK that could be crowded so X is best because we have the X-factor baby :)

I hope you are not insinuating that I am a pile of crap ;) I'm expecting the UK entries to DCM to rocket in 2012 with a handsome devil like myself advertising the race :D
    Was looking through the London entry stats and was surprised how few international entries there are compared to Dublin, or even the numbers of UK entries in Paris they were talking about on the coverage last week.

There are a couple of people from my club who are looking to do Dublin this year. Will have to wait until 2013 I think before I make a return for DCM.

Can't belive that I'm talking about marathons that far in advance now, I'm sure I was fairly insistent up the pub after DCM'10 that I'd not do another one. :confused:
    Excellent point. I say we designate meeting point X in the Repatriation area to commence the session. I was thinking B for Boards but that is probably too close to the finish, k for knacker drinking is right beside J and with the number of Mr/Mrs Jones in the UK that could be crowded so X is best because we have the X-factor baby :)
    The letters A-M are in Horse Guards Parade itself, and then N-Z are down Horse Guards Road. I expect my club will be hanging around the W so I should be passing via there to try and make sure they remember to go to the pub at least.

Not sure how many Mr Xaviers there are going to be taking part so that is probably a good option...so long as nobody else has the same idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Very, very best of luck to you all for a wonderful race on Sunday, I'm looking forward to reading all the race reports full of PBs next week.
    After a shocking run again tonight i've finally given up on the London Marathon this year :( Gonna defer and try again in 12 months.
    Brian, a very tough decision for you but the right one.
    Besides all the really cool people are running London the year after the Olympicswink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

I see there might be some celebs joining us on the course on Sunday :P
    My brothers and my Best Friends !” Also a keen runner, Kevin has said that he hopes to run the London marathon with his brothers this coming Sunday

We need to talk about Kevin - Meet Jedward's rarely seen older brother

opus wrote: »
    I see there might be some celebs joining us on the course on Sunday :P

We need to talk about Kevin - Meet Jedward's rarely seen older brother

Jedward would make decent pacers.....people will speed up to get away from them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

best of luck to everyone doing the london mara.

weather looks good and a fair course what more do yez want.

will see ye on the telly.

re tube virgins;
    just nod in agreement when the brits are giving out about their public transport system............whilst at the same time thinking to yourself "this is feckin class"

Advertisement