Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 22/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Green is the celebrity area I thought.

Anyway, not a hope of getting into another area or even starting in the wrong zone in that area. Well you may be able to move back a zone but wouldn't count on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

robinph wrote: »

Anyway, not a hope of getting into another area or even starting in the wrong zone in that area. Well you may be able to move back a zone but wouldn't count on it.
    Are the zones within waves based on times ? Can't remember what time I put done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    Are the zones within waves based on times ? Can't remember what time I put done.

Good point never thought of that. I probably won't be running anyway so it doesnt matter too much :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

not sure i think red is the more competeive zone and green a bit slower.
    anyway if you are sure there is no way to change than this is good enough for me.
    cheers.
    If anybody has done it I d love to hear how you managed to change the areas .

and yes zones based on given start times

Good point never thought of that. I probably won't be running anyway so it doesnt matter too much :rolleyes:
    I think i might have put 3:30 down, but that could have been for Berlin, You defo not running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

Still 6 days away Brian, even if you don't think your target time is on the cards wouldn't it be worth running around anyway to soak in the atmosphere?

Got my last 13m run out of the way early on Sunday morning, went grand so hopefully pretty much set for next w/end. Today is my first day with zero running for weeks, don't know what to do with myself :)

I think i might have put 3:30 down, but that could have been for Berlin, You defo not running?
    opus wrote: »
    Still 6 days away Brian, even if you don't think your target time is on the cards wouldn't it be worth running around anyway to soak in the atmosphere?

I know but this thing has lasted nearly 6 weeks and its not getting much better unfortunately. Felt light headed a lot of today again and legs totally dead. Another doc visit tomorrow when i'm sure he'll tell me not to run.

Tbh a month off running might be the only way to beat this. I'm looking into deferring just in case the GFA standard changes in 2013.

But i'll be present in the pub for the entire duration, no worries there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Evelyn Cusack giving out sh1t weather for London for next Sunday. Good thing its still too far a way for an accurate forecast :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

peter kern wrote: »
    not sure i think red is the more competeive zone and green a bit slower.
    anyway if you are sure there is no way to change than this is good enough for me.
    cheers.
    If anybody has done it I d love to hear how you managed to change the areas .

and yes zones based on given start times

This is my approximate understanding of the coloured starts from what I've picked up in various places:

Green will certainly have slower people in it, but I think it is a small start area with just "special" people in it.
    Red is fast good for age followed by charity runners.
    Blue is elite, followed by deferred entries and ballot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

hmmmmmmm, sickness has hit chez roadrunner. The mrs has a sinus infection and a cold. Jnr has croup. I've taken to the back bedroom but in reality if I'm going to pick something up, better early in the week than later. There are a couple of hazmat suits in work, thinking of nicking one for the rest of the week

Trekkchem_Light.jpg

• Advertisement

There has to be a world record opportunity in that outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

2 of my workmates have been coughing & spluttering for the last few days as well so wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those hazmat suits if there's any spare ;)

One of my running buddies either pulled or badly twanged his hamstring on Sunday - gutted for him. We were both looking to go sub 3:10 (and prob would have pushed each other pretty close on the day) but can't see him being anywhere near 100% on the day now

Debating whether to go for a gentle <5k jaunt tonight or tomorrow - would be more of a mental exercise than anything to do with my legs at this stage.

Anyway, hope everyone's preparation is going to plan. I haven't started packing just yet but several key pieces of kit have been identified and strategically positioned close to my bag :cool:

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Anyway, hope everyone's preparation is going to plan. I haven't started packing just yet but several key pieces of kit have been identified and strategically positioned close to my bag :cool:

Some advice on things you shouldn't forget from the Paris Marathon magazine apparently:

http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/attachments/general-running-chat/2868d1334596436-amusing-english-translation-paris-marathon-magazine-photo.jpg

"2 small bandages for your tits", lol :D

I'm not sure what a "jogging international poncho" is either but I reckon my jumper-that-I-haven't-worn-for-5-years-and-Tesco-industrial-max-strength-bin-bag-combo will probably do the same job

I'm after spitting coffee all over my computer screen, classic

Do people get much work done marathon week? i'm finding it hard to focus on much else.....

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Do people get much work done marathon week? i'm finding it hard to focus on much else.....

Probably not a good idea to plan anything important work-wise for marathon week :pac:

Probably not a good idea to plan anything important work-wise for marathon week :pac:
    The main planning for the week was an early finish on Thursday and Day off on Friday :).

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks and now that it is upon me, I am ready to add my input.

I will be there too and I am planning 3.55, but like many at this point I am happy to have got in and I am determined to enjoy the day. I will see you all in the Coal Hole at some point.

I will be in a fetching orange singlet (Bray Runners) and I am somewhere in one of the blue pens. See you there (or thereabouts).

Wally

• Advertisement

2 of my workmates have been coughing & spluttering for the last few days as well so wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those hazmat suits if there's any spare ;)

A few years back in the week leading up to Boston I made a bit of a stir in work when I insisted that two of my work colleagues should go home sick as they were literally blowing snot all over our open plan office. I think they thought I was joking and when they turned up for work the following day I told my bemused boss (a very easy going person obviously) I was working at home for the rest of the week. By the end of the week I reckon half of the 20 people in our office were out sick. I think I proved my point :)

Those of you on the Blue and Green starts get to run through a live fire shooting range:
    We have a little something to tell you...

ROYAL ARTILLERY BARRACKS

An Olympic shooting test event will be taking place at the Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich week commencing 15th April, including Marathon day.

The race will still use Ha Ha Road which is through the event venue, but there will be no access for spectators or vehicles in this area.

All runners should be aware that you may hear the sound of gun fire from the test event from 09:00am onwards. This is nothing to worry about!

Those of you on the Blue and Green starts get to run through a live fire shooting range:

:)

Getting feck all done....spending a lot of time on here, 5 day forecast, figuring out best Tube route to the start, deciding on a spending limit at the expo etc.

Was actually supposed to be in London today doing a presentation but luckily it's been postponed until next month.

Getting feck all done....spending a lot of time on here, 5 day forecast, figuring out best Tube route to the start, deciding on a spending limit at the expo etc.

Was actually supposed to be in London today doing a presentation but luckily it's been postponed until next month.

Tubeplanner is great :)

Where you staying? Couple of tube suspensions on Sunday.

Lucky your not here today. Its lashing rain, windy and freezing at the mo.

So are you running or not. Don't have me to give you a HTF................

If not you may have to act as a water/sportsdrink boy!

Staying in Bayswater - should be about a 46 min journey on the day according to the TFL planner. That includes a 12 min walk so will have to factor in some time there for inevitably getting lost and general faffing about

So are you running or not. Don't have me to give you a HTF................

If not you may have to act as a water/sportsdrink boy!

Cant say for sure yet.

Was at the doctor today, there is nothing seriously wrong with me thankfully. He's almost sure i have/had a virus caused by overdoing it in February. I was passed fit to run it by him, but he said i wouldnt be able to perform at peak level.

I really don't want to miss out so i'm more than likely to run at this stage, but i'll see how the rest of the week goes. Still a bit woozy/light headed.

• Advertisement

Staying in Bayswater - should be about a 46 min journey on the day according to the TFL planner. That includes a 12 min walk so will have to factor in some time there for inevitably getting lost and general faffing about

Queensway tube on the central line is quite close to you too. Circle line is slow and painful anytime i've got it.

I see that route alright yeah, Embankment and Charing Cross are right beside each other, just a short walk up the hill away from the river.

Advertisement