Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lizlemon

Bosco boy wrote: »
    it's recognised as one of the best forces in the world

Based on what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Again, another 'cry for help' from 'penniless public sector workers' who are 'broke' after paying 'bills'. And again it is not highlighted in the media what those bills are, we know well its the jumbo mortgages they took out.

Same with the teachers, nurses and civil servants, you get paid quite well in this country. What you do with your take home pay has nothing to do how well paid you are. If you decide to take out a loan on a ferrari, it's not your employers(govt elected by the population) fault that you can no longer to afford that lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

dvpower wrote: »
    By that measure, I haven't got anything in my pay cheques for my entire career because I've spent it all.

I want a second cheque that I can't squander. I want the cheque deposited into a squander proof account where it can....emmm... stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They left out the bit where the nurses they are married to pay for the luxuries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

mikom wrote: »
    Posted by Bosco boy, yep that's actually the son of Bosco from RTE.

1st prize to mikom aged 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

They ought to keep their mouths shut. Particularly about bankers' bonuses. It's not their place to say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

talla10 wrote: »
    The comissioner last year rejected plea's from the GRA to scrap what they call 'prohibited spare time activities' which bans them from taking up second jobs. Its an old rule since 1922 and Gardai have asked numerous times for them to be allowed to take up second jobs if they are going to get pay cuts.

That's bizarre. What alternative is there for the people unable to pay their bills for whatever reason? Are they using it as a sticking point to secure pay rises, or to try and have the Commissioner change his mind about the part time work ban?

AGSI said that the motion to lift that ban is unlikely to be heard, let alone passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That's bizarre. What alternative is there for the people unable to pay their bills for whatever reason? Are they using it as a sticking point to secure pay rises, or to try and have the Commissioner change his mind about the part time work ban?

AGSI said that the motion to lift that ban is unlikely to be heard, let alone passed.

it opens the door to massive corruption and conflict of interest if Gardai are working other jobs...

they would be duty bound to report anything their employer does that's not 100% legit no matter how small and if they didn't what makes you think they'd do being a garda any better?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A person lives within their means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

[IFearBeingRapedandDeported]

I'm not saying anything on this...

[/EndIfearBeingRapedandDeported]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the gardai in this country provide a valuable service.

Yes - they are under-resourced and possibly badly managed.

No - they do not deserve a pay rise - in order to help out less than 1% of the workforce.

I would much rather help given to those struggling to make ends meet instead of a blank cheque given to the AGSI - wont there be loads of overtime when Barrack Obama and "the Queen" make their respective visits.

approx 1% of the workforce having difficulties ... that's a lot lower than other sectors of society - the gardai should look at helping their members who are struggling instead of looking out for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

1st prize to mikom aged 4

Attack the post not the poster.
    It's the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

KerranJast wrote: »
    http://cso.ie/quicktables/GetQuickTables.aspx?FileName=PSA01.asp&TableName=Public+Sector+Average+Weekly+Earnings&StatisticalProduct=DB_PS

In 2008 their average pay (gross I assume) was €1,076.68 pw excl overtime so ~ €56k per annum gross.
    That is fcukin ridiculous.

They ought to keep their mouths shut. Particularly about bankers' bonuses. It's not their place to say anything.

I guess they shouldn't be allowed say anything about the private sector who got us into this mess!

mikom wrote: »
    Attack the post not the poster.
    It's the law.

Sorry, aged 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Those 120 Gardai unable to pay their mortgages should go to MABS like everyone else in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe they should top up their earnings with bribes like they do in other poverty stricken countries:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

What do ya do yourself for a living? I might have an opinion on it, typical sh1te on boards with faceless hyprocites with chips on their shoulders, if you want a poorly paid police force accept the consequences, it's recognised as one of the best forces in the world, unarmed, what a fcuking toilet this country is starting to become, everyone watching everyone else and begrudgery thriving!

Ummm, everyone is faceless on boards. Including yourself. Unless you actually are Clancy Wiggum. Which, going by your posts, isn't beyond the realm of possibility...

The AGSI brought this up. They made a big deal about a tiny proportion of their membership having difficulties with their bills, and somehow the rest of us aren't allowed to debate it? We just have to go along with whatever the AGSI say and demand??
    I guess they shouldn't be allowed say anything about the private sector who got us into this mess!

Course they should. And people are. The difference is, that he private sector don't demand that they be cossested from criticism, and don't respond in such an outraged manner when they are criticised.

Maybe they should top up their earnings with bribes like they do in other poverty stricken countries:D

That's exactly what will happen!

Einhard wrote: »
    Ummm, everyone is faceless on boards. Including yourself. Unless you actually are Clancy Wiggum. Which, going by your posts, isn't beyond the realm of possibility...

The AGSI brought this up. They made a big deal about a tiny proportion of their membership having difficulties with their bills, and somehow the rest of us aren't allowed to debate it? We just have to go along with whatever the AGSI say and demand??

Course they should. And people are. The difference is, that he private sector don't demand that they be cossested from criticism, and don't respond in such an outraged manner when they are criticised.

Can we agree to disagree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

EL_Loco wrote: »
    I think the main points are:

they get paid well above the average wage
    only a small percentage are in trouble
    it appears to be a bit of hype to maybe get a pay rise for the the whole force.

thus far the quality of the work carried out hasn't come into question, so I don't know why it should. They get well paid, if they've fooked it up it's their own personal responsibility.

I'd rather the 120 gardai got some more money from the state, then some under the table bribes from criminals. People are people, and not all ultra rational nerds like on this forum. If a garda can't make ends meet, it's a very dangerous and stupid situation.

Perhaps it's just "opening up the employer market in policing".

Can we agree to disagree?

I don't agree to that!:D

Seriously, I've no issue with you having a different opinion to me; I do have a problem with anyone trying to shut down debate with angry rants against those debating the points- especially when it was the AGSI who raised the issue in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

To hell with them, they dont serve the public anyway, they gather money for the government with bully boy methods. A leaving cert with 6 months in Templemore? €40k? They are way over paid imo, I know lots of professionals with degrees that dont get paid that much. As to the quality of service we public get for their €40k, its sucks most of the time. I truely hope the IMF slash their pay in half.

n900guy wrote: »
    I'd rather the 120 gardai got some more money from the state, then some under the table bribes from criminals. People are people, and not all ultra rational nerds like on this forum. If a garda can't make ends meet, it's a very dangerous and stupid situation.

So basically you'd give a blank cheque to the gardai, and have a policy that, no matter how much they fook up financially, the state will have their backs? You''ll gaurantee all their poor investments, and promise never to let them face the neagtive consequences of a financial deal? Wow. So basically we'd have the Garda equivalent of the bank gaurantee. What a brilliant idea!

The Gardai get paid well enough. If they can't live on that, that's their problem. If they resort to illegal activities to supplement their income, then they should face the full brunt of the law.

Offy wrote: »
    To hell with them, they dont serve the public anyway, they gather money for the government with bully boy methods. A leaving cert with 6 months in Templemore? €40k? They are way over paid imo, I know lots of professionals with degrees that dont get paid that much. As to the quality of service we public get for their €40k, its sucks most of the time. I truely hope the IMF slash their pay in half.

What do you do yourself for a living?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

At what point do you say the wages are enough though. They do a good job but they're well paid, both by the standards of other police forces worldwide but especially in light of what we as tax payers can afford to pay them.

If they were on a €200,000 starting salary and a couple of hundred guards blew their wages, would we have to stump it up to €250,000 in order to avoid the threat of corruption from them.
    It's absolutely ridiculous - every sector of society has some who overstretched themselves over the last few years, why the hell should Gardai be the only ones to be compensated? (ok the banks too but that's another tired story).
    Edit - similar point to Einhard's but hadn't seen it

So basically you'd give a blank cheque to the gardai, and have a policy that, no matter how much they fook up financially, the state will have their backs? You''ll gaurantee all their poor investments, and promise never to let them face the neagtive consequences of a financial deal? Wow. So basically we'd have the Garda equivalent of the bank gaurantee. What a brilliant idea!

The Gardai get paid well enough. If they can't live on that, that's their problem. If they resort to illegal activities to supplement their income, then they should face the full brunt of the law.

what do you do yourself for a living?

what do you do yourself for a living?

LOL, jesus you really are a guard!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

No, what you suggested was an extremely ridiculous thing that I never mentioned. If the Gardai are slightly underpaid (for this 1% ot be struggling) than there will be a corresponding slight increase in the amoutn of corruption - because people including Gardai are not robotic automatons.

The state needs secure and safe and non-corrupt policing, especially in a recession. This move will inevitably lead to increased social difficulties and more heavy handed policing like in the US and UK, or privatisation of the police in areas that can afford higher salaries (like in the US).

No-one mentioned a blank cheque, but seeing things in all-or-nothing black or white is clearly a problem for you. If the Gardai cannot live on their paycheques it's most definitely all of our problems - not "their" problem. You are naiive if you think the world is so black and white - corruption will increase, bribery will increase. Policing for the "full brunt of the law" is exactly what is at stake - it doesn't magically appear from nowhere!

• Advertisement

No, what you suggested was an extremely ridiculous thing that I never mentioned. If the Gardai are slightly underpaid (for this 1% ot be struggling) than there will be a corresponding slight increase in the amoutn of corruption - because people including Gardai are not robotic automatons.

The state needs secure and safe and non-corrupt policing, especially in a recession. This move will inevitably lead to increased social difficulties and more heavy handed policing like in the US and UK, or privatisation of the police in areas that can afford higher salaries (like in the US).

No-one mentioned a blank cheque, but seeing things in all-or-nothing black or white is clearly a problem for you. If the Gardai cannot live on their paycheques it's most definitely all of our problems - not "their" problem.

You stated that the state should support those gardai who are struggling financially. Now, no matter how well people are paid, there will always be those who will make silly decisions, and suffer the financial consequences. You want to protect them from the consequences of their own actions. You want to basically bribe them into respecting the law they are meant to uphold. I think it's an absurd notion. If they break the law, let them be held accountable like the rest of us.

Advertisement