Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 2011 Video Games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Soldie wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the PC version of Rugby Challenge has an offline multiplayer mode?

It does indeed. You'd need two controllers though, wouldnt fancy being stuck with the keyboard :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

very happy with the project nova update for my ps3 version but would love if we were able to get the proper jerseys like in the pc update.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Rugby challenge has its flaws but it has made a breakthrough that hb didn't feel they had to make as there was hardly any competition in the rugby games industry. Fifa and PES have become so good because they both have to raise their game each year to keep up with each other.
    Hopefully the competition will make HB raise their game and Rugby Challenge will work to improve to stay ahead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Anyone got this on xbox? Add me, fed up lagging playing southern hemisphere lads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Anyone got this on xbox? Add me, fed up lagging playing southern hemisphere lads

whats your gt?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Tis Same as my sig, ImAwesome1987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Must give Rugby Challenge a go. RWC really is one of the worst sports games I have ever played!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Anyone know of any shop's around Dublin city centre that still have it in stock for xbox???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Is anyone else having problems playing online with the PS3? It keeps saying ''error when searching for game'' and booting me back to the main menu. I've only recently set up a new router and was.wondering if I'll have to open up some ports or anything, like I did on my old eircom one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Glaring error. Every time I make a mark, it's always the designated goal kicker who restarts play. Nacewa, Kearney, Healy, Jennings... Doesn't make the blindest bit of difference who makes the mark, it'll be Sexton who starts off again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

tolosenc wrote: »
    Glaring error. Every time I make a mark, it's always the designated goal kicker who restarts play. Nacewa, Kearney, Healy, Jennings... Doesn't make the blindest bit of difference who makes the mark, it'll be Sexton who starts off again.

Its an oversight but, at least it helps you. I'm much more annoyed by the inability to mall from a lineout, run with the 8 off a scrum, illegally slowdown rucks, hold on in a tackle, or collapse a scrum. The lack of cynical behavior especially irritates me as, it takes too much realism from the game as there aren't enough penalties in a given game. The only ways I've seen of giving penalties away in the game are offsides and high-tackles.

I can get over the lack of setplays as, they would be hard to implement but, the rest (cynical play especially) would be vey easy to implement. Although, it would be nice to be able to drop the OH into the pocket but, the slow-mo before kicking nearly nullifies the need to do so. This was the one place where Rugby 08 had this game beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Can someone explain what is going on in career mode transfers in RC. Why are there an abundance of absolutely ridiculously good players that you can transfer to your team for free? I picked up some flanker, with 100 offload, 100 acceleration, 100 tactical kicking.

I feel less inclined to blame the studio for mechanical issues, or lack of features, and more inclined to blame them for areas that aren't difficult, but a little more time and effort could have been put in. Players were finalised as of June, I believe that was after SOB, Heaslip and Necewa had been nominated for ERC player of the year, so why are Sob and Isa so crap.

P.S Does anyone have any sort of list of which unlicensed names correspond to which licensed players, I can't even begin to work it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Its an oversight but, at least it helps you. I'm much more annoyed by the inability to mall from a lineout, run with the 8 off a scrum, illegally slowdown rucks, hold on in a tackle, or collapse a scrum. The lack of cynical behavior especially irritates me as, it takes too much realism from the game as there aren't enough penalties in a given game. The only ways I've seen of giving penalties away in the game are offsides and high-tackles.

I can get over the lack of setplays as, they would be hard to implement but, the rest (cynical play especially) would be vey easy to implement. Although, it would be nice to be able to drop the OH into the pocket but, the slow-mo before kicking nearly nullifies the need to do so. This was the one place where Rugby 08 had this game beaten.

I completely agree with you. Penalties are a huge part of rugby, scores are clocked up and games are won / lost o n the back of penalties.

to make up for it a bit I stick the high tackles slider up a fair bit. It's not perfect but at least it's given a few games where no tries have gone in and the game has been won by a kick or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Rucks are causing me problems on and offline. I lose the majority even when I get more players to the breakdown. I'm hitting quick bnd first to win the race then calling heavy. Any pointers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Rucks are causing me problems on and offline. I lose the majority even when I get more players to the breakdown. I'm hitting quick bnd first to win the race then calling heavy. Any pointers?

if you have lads near the ruck just use heavy bind. only use quick if you are isolated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

twinytwo wrote: »
    Is it what, after waiting so long for the game i nearly cried...

cant maul off a lineout, - take a catch (o) then you can keep tapping square (on PS3) to get same effect actually, not perfect but I've had it working, will try and get a video, almost scored a try from it last night, often they tackle you though
    cant take a quick lineout, This is annoying, big part of the game now, but the ball VERY rarely goes into touch, which is also slightly annoying, the NH "pressure / territory game doesnt matter, its hard running Super 15s stuff,
    cant kick an up and under, as pointed out, yes you can
    no player can intercept the ball during a pass, yes they can I've intercepted 2 so far
    cant make subs, as below
    cant change the starting lineup for games on line,
    the game dosent seem to know what offside actually is.
    Everyone online makes up for being crap at the game by just going the ABS the whole time

... and since when can john hayes do a spinning left handed offload while he is being hit by too guys that goes half way across the pitch. GWAN THE BULL TIS YOUR FIELD :):D Yeah, you can tweak all of this though

I think its an amazing accomplishment wish theyd released it on time in europe they've lost a bundle on free advertising.

Main thing is to whack those sliders down on the general setting, then move the tactical sliders around for the teams, got some really nice games last night after playing with it for an hour. Player and team names etc. you can download (on ps3 and pc at least) Its like Pro Evo vs Fifa of old, RC is a millions times more fun than RWC11. Mind you, so is a dead kitten.

Big tip: Hammer square when you get tackled then tap x and o a few times then hammer square to set up a maul, works best with likes of Oconnel / props etc. but slows the game down a lot. No No8. moves off scrums is extremely annoying, but you can snipe with scrum half and flick back inside to 6 etc.
    There are loads of niggles, but nothing unfixable / overlookable:
    You get a full penalty (for the ubiquitous high tackles- had a game with 4 yellows last night...but never more than 1 at once, despite some career ending injuries) and you kick for the corner.... full time whistle blows SORT IT OUT! Only option is to tap.
    Most players are too fast and too fit, too agile, spoils the balance of the game sometimes, i.e if you get habana / any all black you score a try by running around the end of the oppositions line. bit of a game breaker. would like to find mods where everyones stats are tweaked, might take two of the made up clubs, edit them down in speed, offload fitness, see if I can balance it better (always wanted to be a game designer :)
    Lack of penalties at breakdowns (kind of silly I guess, but realism is, real.) wish there was a slight "randomiser" instead of X and O bashing, What stat governs turnover ability? Mental agility???

Not played online, so can't comment on it, but like any 2 player, the person your playing trying to have a good game and not expose glitches / imbalances helps, like kicking it every now and again. I love targeting props off the kickoff (taps nose)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just something I've noticed in regards to the game settings sliders.

If you adjust the 'success' sliders, it WILL EFFECT YOUR PLAYERS. So, if you want the team to fluff their passes bare in mind yours will be shocking too. So I just adusted the OFFLOAD FREQUENCY RATE, as that stops teams like Aironi throwing 20 passes a minute.

Play with this sliders until you get a nice balance. You don't want to be winning games easily by turning the ball over every 4th breakdown, so make sure you throw the AI a bone with the sliders to make it more even.

Just had an epic game as Leinster vs Munster in the PRO12 and they were leading from a lovely DG from ROG.. But then we took the ball through the phases (try not to sprint so much, your passes will be more successfull if you don't), and eventually a lovely line break from D'arce led to a SOB try to win the match. When you get an even match and the 'bugs' don't show it's great.

The game just needs some tweaking and TLC.

One thing that's annoying you cannot edit players whilst you're in the middle of a comp/career.

Also, how long do you guys play the match for? I really like 20 minutes... Because whilst playing hard/pro there isn't many tries, so 20 minutes gives you a good chance against a tough side... also makes the game feel a little more tough and time plays a big part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

.ak wrote: »
    Just something I've noticed in regards to the game settings sliders.

If you adjust the 'success' sliders, it WILL EFFECT YOUR PLAYERS. So, if you want the team to fluff their passes bare in mind yours will be shocking too. So I just adusted the OFFLOAD FREQUENCY RATE, as that stops teams like Aironi throwing 20 passes a minute.

Play with this sliders until you get a nice balance. You don't want to be winning games easily by turning the ball over every 4th breakdown, so make sure you throw the AI a bone with the sliders to make it more even.

Just had an epic game as Leinster vs Munster in the PRO12 and they were leading from a lovely DG from ROG.. But then we took the ball through the phases (try not to sprint so much, your passes will be more successfull if you don't), and eventually a lovely line break from D'arce led to a SOB try to win the match. When you get an even match and the 'bugs' don't show it's great.

The game just needs some tweaking and TLC.

One thing that's annoying you cannot edit players whilst you're in the middle of a comp/career.

Also, how long do you guys play the match for? I really like 20 minutes... Because whilst playing hard/pro there isn't many tries, so 20 minutes gives you a good chance against a tough side... also makes the game feel a little more tough and time plays a big part.

Nice one, havent seen the AI take a droppie, but only played 6/7 games (I don't care to admit how late I stayed up last night - at least I'm not in the pub as I told the missus)

10 minute games but I'm playing on normal, will switch to pro for good now.
    Playing on the "far back camera you spot switch moves / runners much better, holding pass for a while then selecting the player to hit is very sweet.

great tip on offload success, but if you like a "muckier" game you get a lot more knock ons / broken play./ advantages with having a low success rate, i.e. more like watching 6 nations on a crappy wet day than super 14s 'league' style handling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, defo finding the balance is right. But it's very frustrating if simple passes don't even go to hand. I usually have the success rate at about 75-80%, so there's still a chance of a slip or forced pass to add realism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    if you have lads near the ruck just use heavy bind. only use quick if you are isolated

Cheers, that makes sense. I'm trying to play the game as i would play a real game myself.
    It looks like sales of his game and community interest have been excellent so far. I think we could be seeing the start of the definitive rugby over the next three few years. Just needs a bit more tuning and additions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Andrewdcs how exactly do you maul off a lineout don't really understand your other post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

anyone on PSN can add me to play LTsmashie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Anyone got the achievement for winning a game with two players sent off? Any tips? I can't get people sent off it's impossible! I've put the high tackle slider up to full and I just can't get carded!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Start clicking the high tackle button really early is the best way to get penalties, eventually you'll get them carded. Also, set the timer for the match for longer than you have it. About 20 minutes should do it.

Teferi wrote: »
    Start clicking the high tackle button really early is the best way to get penalties, eventually you'll get them carded. Also, set the timer for the match for longer than you have it. About 20 minutes should do it.

Yeah got it eventually. Now all I need is the 50 matches online which is hard enough as people just quit when they are losing. Probably the easiest achievements in any game I've played!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

HAS anyone edited the irish provinces and Ireland team for xbox360
    or know where i can get
    cheers

HAS anyone edited the irish provinces and Ireland team for xbox360
    or know where i can get
    cheers

I think there is something that you can down load off the Internet onto a USB and then plug into your x box but if you do it, it will disable achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

ajeffares wrote: »
    I think there is something that you can down load off the Internet onto a USB and then plug into your x box but if you do it, it will disable achievements.

thanks for reply
    would you have a link to it by any chance
    cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9nweqiD6CE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    I haven't tried it myself but I think this works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

andrewdcs wrote: »
    twinytwo wrote: »
    Is it what, after waiting so long for the game i nearly cried...

cant maul off a lineout, - take a catch (o) then you can keep tapping square (on PS3) to get same effect actually, not perfect but I've had it working, will try and get a video, almost scored a try from it last night, often they tackle you though
    cant take a quick lineout, This is annoying, big part of the game now, but the ball VERY rarely goes into touch, which is also slightly annoying, the NH "pressure / territory game doesnt matter, its hard running Super 15s stuff,
    cant kick an up and under, as pointed out, yes you can
    no player can intercept the ball during a pass, yes they can I've intercepted 2 so far
    cant make subs, as below
    cant change the starting lineup for games on line,
    the game dosent seem to know what offside actually is.
    Everyone online makes up for being crap at the game by just going the ABS the whole time

... and since when can john hayes do a spinning left handed offload while he is being hit by too guys that goes half way across the pitch. GWAN THE BULL TIS YOUR FIELD :):D Yeah, you can tweak all of this though

I think its an amazing accomplishment wish theyd released it on time in europe they've lost a bundle on free advertising.

Main thing is to whack those sliders down on the general setting, then move the tactical sliders around for the teams, got some really nice games last night after playing with it for an hour. Player and team names etc. you can download (on ps3 and pc at least) Its like Pro Evo vs Fifa of old, RC is a millions times more fun than RWC11. Mind you, so is a dead kitten.

Big tip: Hammer square when you get tackled then tap x and o a few times then hammer square to set up a maul, works best with likes of Oconnel / props etc. but slows the game down a lot. No No8. moves off scrums is extremely annoying, but you can snipe with scrum half and flick back inside to 6 etc.
    There are loads of niggles, but nothing unfixable / overlookable:
    You get a full penalty (for the ubiquitous high tackles- had a game with 4 yellows last night...but never more than 1 at once, despite some career ending injuries) and you kick for the corner.... full time whistle blows SORT IT OUT! Only option is to tap.
    Most players are too fast and too fit, too agile, spoils the balance of the game sometimes, i.e if you get habana / any all black you score a try by running around the end of the oppositions line. bit of a game breaker. would like to find mods where everyones stats are tweaked, might take two of the made up clubs, edit them down in speed, offload fitness, see if I can balance it better (always wanted to be a game designer :)
    Lack of penalties at breakdowns (kind of silly I guess, but realism is, real.) wish there was a slight "randomiser" instead of X and O bashing, What stat governs turnover ability? Mental agility???

Not played online, so can't comment on it, but like any 2 player, the person your playing trying to have a good game and not expose glitches / imbalances helps, like kicking it every now and again. I love targeting props off the kickoff (taps nose)

I've played well over 100 games and never seem an intercept (unless you are counting times when a pass hits the ground and is "intercepted" while still moving - I don't - although the commentators call it an "intercept").

Advertisement