Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An odd example of lapsed Catholicism and Good Friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Perhaps he doesn't like you, or one of the women he was with is a close relation of yours and he wants to avoid embarrassment.

O..............................kay?

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Quite a lot of people on here espouse a view of completely wiping Christian influence from Irish life.

If you do this then you should follow through, practice what you preach, etc and refuse to take anytime off for Good Friday.

So, since I'm working on Friday am I off your hook?
    If you really are committed to it and not just an "a la carte Atheist" :pac:

Ah yes, the fabled a la carte atheist, they only believe in some Gods some of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Who has Friday off?
    It's a religious holiday not a public one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Galvasean wrote: »
    *The extra B is for BYOBB.

What's that extra B for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I'm probably not working Good Friday because my job follows the school calendar, and we're closed for a few weeks around Easter.

I'll be back with more fascinating tales from the life of Undergod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Sounds like he doesnt wanna go to your party!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Easter is purely a Christian festival.

Christmas is different, taking over from traditional mid-winter festivals, etc, etc.

fffuuuuu right back at ya mate :)

http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Zillah wrote: »
    What's that extra B for?

Blasphemous? :D

What's that extra B for?

That's a typo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

So, since I'm working on Friday am I off your hook?

Can you accept the premise of my point.

It is hypocritical to espouse these views while enjoying the benefits of the day off?
    Ah yes, the fabled a la carte atheist, they only believe in some Gods some of the time.

Knew i'd be caught on that, Should have typed "anti-theist" :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Easter is purely a Christian festival.

Christmas is different, taking over from traditional mid-winter festivals, etc, etc.

fffuuuuu right back at ya mate :)

Wrong. The Christian Easter has also borrowed from earlier Pagan rituals, which were dedicated to fertility.

Improbable wrote: »

Fair 'nuff.

Thought Mid-Winter and Summer Solstice were the only widespread pre-Christian festivals.

Your learn somethin' new everyday. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Your learn somethin' new everyday.
    "The Forum That's Here to help"(tm)

It is hypocritical to espouse these views while enjoying the benefits of the day off?

While I do understand your point (I read threads about it here every Christmas) I do not accept that it is a particularly good point.
    If one was given a mandatory day off work (ie: the office is closed) there is not much one can do about that. Should an atheist feel guilty or hypocritical if they used said forced day off to do something fun just because the day off has origins of a religious nature? I don't believe so.
    However, since I don't get the day off on Good Friday it's a bit beside the point of the topic anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That's a typo :(

I can't believe they left you hanging for three pages.

I can't believe they left you hanging for three pages.

There is no party. This was all an elaborate scheme to make Simpsons references.

While I do understand your point (I read threads about it here every Christmas) I do not accept that it is a particularly good point.
    If one was given a mandatory day off work (ie: the office is closed) there is not much one can do about that. Should an atheist feel guilty or hypocritical if they used said forced day off to do something fun just because the day off has origins of a religious nature? I don't believe so.
    However, since I don't get the day off on Good Friday it's a bit beside the point of the topic anyhow.

Well it seems strange to me to have a party entitled "F*** the Church" on a day when many would have got the day off precisely because of its religious origins.

The restrictions regarding Good Friday and the sale of alcohol are in the hands of legislators and the Vintners rather then some Bishop in the Vatican sitting on a Gold throne dictating when and where people can buy drink.

If your worried about personal freedom and the right to buy booze on Good Friday call it "F*** the Vintners"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

A day off is a day off.
    People here don't enjoy it because of its religious connections, they just take any excuse to have a free holiday (and not everywhere gives it).

If we had our way I'm sure we wouldn't eliminate it (I wouldn't anyway), because it's an excuse to not work.

If, hypothetically, we moved it to the week beforehand, which AFAIK has no major religious connections, would you have a problem with us enjoying it then, or are we allowed to enjoy days off if they don't happen to fall on religious events?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

Your story is a good example of cognitive dissonance - the unwillingness to recognise a hypocrisy in one's beliefs. I would see the scale of this unwillingness as an indicator of someone's intelligence, or maturity and self-awareness.

Some people grow up and develop emotionally by resolving these inner conflicts logically and honestly. Others, like your friend are the type who metaphorically stick their fingers in their ears and go "la la la la la, I can't hear you" all throughout their lives.

I'm not sure if people like this can change, but hopefully it's possible for them to experience a "Road to Damascus" event that will change their mental outlook. (I'm going to say I deliberately chose a biblical term for the irony :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Should atheists try to not enjoy the day off?
    Sounds like a catholic idea.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Good Friday isn't a public holiday so the day off isn't enforced by the State, unlike the alcohol ban. The day off is not an issue of the separation of Church and State, while the ban on the sale of alcohol is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I'm not sure if people like this can change, but hopefully it's possible for them to experience a "Road to Damascus" event that will change their mental outlook. (I'm going to say I deliberately chose a biblical term for the irony :) )

The Bible? I thought of this straight away:

dvpower wrote: »
    Should atheists try to not enjoy the day off?
    Sounds like a catholic idea.:confused:

Zing :D

Well it seems strange to me to have a party entitled "F*** the Church" on a day when many would have got the day off precisely because of its religious origins.

The restrictions regarding Good Friday and the sale of alcohol are in the hands of legislators and the Vintners rather then some Bishop in the Vatican sitting on a Gold throne dictating when and where people can buy drink.

If your worried about personal freedom and the right to buy booze on Good Friday call it "F*** the Vintners"

While I agree that your name suggestion probably makes more sense (I didn't name it FWIW), I think the name is used for novelty value above all else.
    As a side, we all know very well that the legislators brought the law in as a sort of tribute to the Catholic Church and subsequent governing bodies have been too lazy / apathetic to change it/ Of course the law is rather pointless when you think about it. Good Catholics will refuse to drink alcohol / eat meat whether the law tells them to or not. The rest of us should be free to continue on as normal and leave 'em to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

While I agree that your name suggestion probably makes more sense (I didn't name it FWIW), I think the name is used for novelty value above all else.
    As a side, we all know very well that the legislators brought the law in as a sort of tribute to the Catholic Church and subsequent governing bodies have been too lazy / apathetic to change it/ Of course the law is rather pointless when you think about it. Good Catholics will refuse to drink alcohol / eat meat whether the law tells them to or not. The rest of us should be free to continue on as normal and leave 'em to it.

If religious people didn't force their religion on other people, religion would have died out a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Quite a lot of people on here espouse a view of completely wiping Christian influence from Irish life.

If you do this then you should follow through, practice what you preach, etc and refuse to take anytime off for Good Friday.

If you really are committed to it and not just an "a la carte Atheist" :pac:

I'll be working this Good Friday. I got it off in the past (no holiday pay or anything though) owing to working in a pub. I have to say I don't know anyone apart from bar workers who get the day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

crucifiction parties are great, the queue in the offey on thursday, not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What's that extra B for?

Biatch!

• Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

c_man wrote: »
    I'll be working this Good Friday. I got it off in the past (no holiday pay or anything though) owing to working in a pub. I have to say I don't know anyone apart from bar workers who get the day off.

Never had the day off, and none of the companies we deal with have it off either.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

he took offence, he follows catholicism in the context of good friday. if he is offended by the mocking of the event, he believes in it, its not that hard to grasp or is it???

See, this pisses me off. You can't pick and choose the bits of Catholicism, or any other religion in fact. This is a major thing which a lot of 'religious' people seem to ignore. Religion is not for cherry-picking. You can't be a little bit catholic or deeply religious when it suits you.

I know a guy who wears a St. Anthony Medal, blesses himself passing a church, goes to church at christmas and easter and tells everyone he's Roman Catholic. He's gay, in a relationship with his boyfriend for the past 4 years. They plan to go to the UK soon to "bless their partnership". Now, I have absolutley no problem with his sexuality, its the fact that he declares himself Catholic, yet his entire lifestyle is in contradiction of all Catholic teachings.

If you; use non-natural contraception, eat meat on any friday, eat anything on ash wednesday and good friday, have sex before marriage, don't say prayers daily, especially before meals or don't name your children after a saint you are defying your religions teachings.

I can guarantee you that a huge proportion of "Roman Catholics" under the age of 60 don't pay any heed about these and much more on top of that. Just because you bless yourself going past a church and go once a year at Christmas, it doesn't make you a religious person. And it certainly doesn't give you the right to get offended when somebody non-religious is exercising their own religious freedoms.

Oh. I'm not religious by the way. Census form - "NO RELIGION"

• Advertisement

Schools, banks, pubs and off licences will be closed on Friday - anywhere else?

I will be working on Friday - if anyone here wants the day off it comes out of their annual holidays.

I work with a lot of people in England who find it hard to believe Catholic Ireland doesn't have a four day weekend.

Last Good Friday I went to a house warming party - drink was flowing but the older people at the party made the hosts hold off on the nibbles until after midnight. I went in a tux - it was a good night.

Advertisement