Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An odd example of lapsed Catholicism and Good Friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Can you accept the premise of my point.

It is hypocritical to espouse these views while enjoying the benefits of the day off?
    I understand why you would make this point, but unfortunately as pointed out, it's not equivalent. If Good Friday was a bank holiday, you would have a point - Atheists complaining about one state-enforced religious thing (no drinking) while enjoying another (the day off).

But you also have to consider that it's more to do with restrictions. It's a protest because our freedoms are being restricted by the state on the basis of a church holiday. Even a mandatory bank holiday wouldn't be a restriction of freedom, as companies would still be entitled to keep their doors open if they pleased. If it was a mandatory "everything must close or face prosecution" holiday, then I would right up there protesting at the blatant discrimination.

At it stands, I'm not working because my employer makes everyone take a mandatory day's annual leave on Good Friday. This is nothing to do with religion, it's because we're financial services, so as all of the banks are closed on that day, we follow their lead.
    Given the option, I would prefer to keep the day's leave and work on Friday, but since I can't, I'll enjoy it. I have the freedom to go to a different employer if I don't like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It is hypocritical to espouse these views while enjoying the benefits of the day off?
    You seem to be assuming that people have a choice. I am an atheist, an anti-theist and a person that dislikes the monarchy. I will be off on good Friday and the royal wedding. I have no choice in the matter. Given that I have no choice I will most certainly make the most of the forced time off and enjoy myself. So what does that make me?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Zillah wrote: »
    Yeah, that whole pancake day, chocolate egg hunting, and magical bunny stuff are straight from the catechism.

You're turning into a really annoying poster fyi.

The magical bunny stuff is just as believable as the catechism really.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Remember last year some pubs in Limerick were open because of a big rugby match?

I wonder if this year pubs elsewhere have put in an application ahead of time to open up on Good Friday. Anybody hear anything about it? It would surely make good business sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'm self employed but will be taking a half day so as to better enjoy 'National House Party Day'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Morgase wrote: »
    Remember last year some pubs in Limerick were open because of a big rugby match?

I wonder if this year pubs elsewhere have put in an application ahead of time to open up on Good Friday. Anybody hear anything about it? It would surely make good business sense.

I remember that. I went to the local and had a drink... ...as a simbil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

If you do this then you should follow through, practice what you preach, etc and refuse to take anytime off for Good Friday.

If you really are committed to it and not just an "a la carte Atheist" :pac:

Well I don't agree with this. I think there's a lot of room for somebody to embrace tradition, even those which were brought about by religion, and still hold no regard for religious teaching. I find about separating religion as an institution from the supposed truth of religious content. I mean, I don't think you'll find many people who deny that religion exists even if there are many who think that the content is nonsense. They're not the same thing. And as a humanist I have no problem with people taking part in religion so long as indoctrination of kids is halted.

So this coming Friday will be a public holiday, which I intend to enjoy.

By the way, I'm having a BYOB BBQ too, except mine's called the "The Inaugural Piss Christ got Hammered Party".
    bigneacy wrote: »
    See, this pisses me off. You can't pick and choose the bits of Catholicism, or any other religion in fact. This is a major thing which a lot of 'religious' people seem to ignore. Religion is not for cherry-picking. You can't be a little bit catholic or deeply religious when it suits you.

Yeah, you basically can... I guess it wouldn't make you a textbook Catholic but each to their own I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

nickcave wrote: »
    So this coming Friday will be a public holiday, which I intend to enjoy.
    No, it won't.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So other than banks, pubs and offos who else is off?
    Schools are off but they've been off all week (first of two) for Easter so would have been off anyhow (Good Friday is part of the whole Easter thing for the pedantic among us).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I suppose you can't speak for everyone at the party but I'd wager a good portion of them will probably get to enjoy a paid day off that doesn't come out of holiday entitlements.

My office is locked up on Good Friday, I've no choice but to take the day off. How do I not be a hypocrite in this situation in your mind? Put in the window of my office and break into the building to work? Or maybe I could sit on a hard chair at home in my work clothes from 9-5 just just to make sure I don't enjoy my un-asked for day off so much. I would much rather be able to keep it to use at another time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Only if you think the thing atheists object to about religion is holidays from work.

Needless to say, that isn't it.

This is just more nonsense about Christianity inventing EVERYTHING. They apparently invented days off work now. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wicknight wrote: »
    This is just more nonsense about Christianity inventing EVERYTHING.
    ...waits for Jakkass to point out that if god is omniponent (as christians believe), then it's quite reasonable to think that christianity did invent everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

robindch wrote: »
    ...waits for Jakkass to point out that if god is omniponent (as christians believe), then it's quite reasonable to think that christianity did invent everything...

It's a fair point. If the Flying Spagetti Monster did exist and is omnipotent (as Pastafarianists believe), then it is quite reasonable to think that the FSM did invent everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Only if you think the thing atheists object to about religion is holidays from work.

This is just more nonsense about Christianity inventing EVERYTHING. They apparently invented days off work now. :rolleyes:

one could deduce that God was behind breaking up work for at least one day a week. Sabbath? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

JimiTime wrote: »
    Sabbath? ;)
    Make you wonder why christians don't do their religious stuff on a saturday then, eh? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Galvasean wrote: »
    The Dublin office of our tech company are off. Possibly to compensate for the London office being off for the royal wedding. :p

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Me - Dublin city centre software company. French company, so no royal wedding to compensate for!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Every single "holy" Thursday or what ever you call it,

You would swear its freaking y2k when you peak your head into the offie

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Pygmalion wrote: »
    A day off is a day off.
    People here don't enjoy it because of its religious connections, they just take any excuse to have a free holiday (and not everywhere gives it).

If we had our way I'm sure we wouldn't eliminate it (I wouldn't anyway), because it's an excuse to not work.

If, hypothetically, we moved it to the week beforehand, which AFAIK has no major religious connections, would you have a problem with us enjoying it then, or are we allowed to enjoy days off if they don't happen to fall on religious events?
    MrPudding wrote: »
    You seem to be assuming that people have a choice. I am an atheist, an anti-theist and a person that dislikes the monarchy. I will be off on good Friday and the royal wedding. I have no choice in the matter. Given that I have no choice I will most certainly make the most of the forced time off and enjoy myself. So what does that make me?
    MrP

My office is locked up on Good Friday, I've no choice but to take the day off. How do I not be a hypocrite in this situation in your mind? Put in the window of my office and break into the building to work? Or maybe I could sit on a hard chair at home in my work clothes from 9-5 just just to make sure I don't enjoy my un-asked for day off so much. I would much rather be able to keep it to use at another time
    dvpower wrote: »
    Should atheists try to not enjoy the day off?
    Sounds like a catholic idea.confused.gif

I never suggested people shouldn't enjoy it.

I have it off myself and would love a few drinks but have study to do.

Enjoying the day off while at the same time saying "F*** the Church"...
    That shows a lack of maturity and a serious lack of understanding about why the pubs are closed that day.

It was a Church decision originally, now its the Vinters/Legislators who decide.
    bigneacy wrote: »
    See, this pisses me off. You can't pick and choose the bits of Catholicism, or any other religion in fact. This is a major thing which a lot of 'religious' people seem to ignore. Religion is not for cherry-picking. You can't be a little bit catholic or deeply religious when it suits you.

I know a guy who wears a St. Anthony Medal, blesses himself passing a church, goes to church at christmas and easter and tells everyone he's Roman Catholic. He's gay, in a relationship with his boyfriend for the past 4 years. They plan to go to the UK soon to "bless their partnership". Now, I have absolutley no problem with his sexuality, its the fact that he declares himself Catholic, yet his entire lifestyle is in contradiction of all Catholic teachings.

If you; use non-natural contraception, eat meat on any friday, eat anything on ash wednesday and good friday, have sex before marriage, don't say prayers daily, especially before meals or don't name your children after a saint you are defying your religions teachings.

I can guarantee you that a huge proportion of "Roman Catholics" under the age of 60 don't pay any heed about these and much more on top of that. Just because you bless yourself going past a church and go once a year at Christmas, it doesn't make you a religious person. And it certainly doesn't give you the right to get offended when somebody non-religious is exercising their own religious freedoms.

Oh. I'm not religious by the way. Census form - "NO RELIGION"

People can choose to be as committed or as casual about religious practice as they want.

Its not all or nothing.

Similiarly they can choose to offended by something clearly disrespectful.

In fairness a "F*** the Church" party on Good Friday of all days is about as offensive as you can get.

In my experience, the vast majority of Irish people are "a la carte" Catholics. They mightn't even go to mass at Christmas but they'll still identify themselves as Catholic and get Married in a Church.

• Advertisement

So you object to the percieved persecutions (Catholic Schools, the Angelus, etc) but not the benefits (Christian holidays)

Shows a weakness in the committed Anti-Theist.

Not a good way to go about achieving the glorious wiping Religion from every aspect of Irish life you all crave :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

People can choose to be as committed or as casual about religious practice as they want.

Its not all or nothing.

Yes, it is. You can't half go to heaven. You can he half saved. Either you suck up to god or he screws you.
    Similiarly they can choose to offended by something clearly disrespectful.

They can be offended all they want. Doesn't change anything.
    In fairness a "F*** the Church" party on Good Friday of all days is about as offensive as you can get.

Really? I could do a lot better TBH. This is the internet after all...
    **** the child raping Catholic Church who worships a god who ****ed his own mother.
    In my experience, the vast majority of Irish people are "a la carte" Catholics. They mightn't even go to mass at Christmas but they'll still identify themselves as Catholic and get Married in a Church.

And Jesus is going to send them to hell for all their sins because he loves them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

[...]
    Anyhoo, he invited a bunch of mates. Most of us are going (one is coming down immediately after singing at the 5 o' clock mass :pac:). However, one friend has taken exception to the event, stating that the very notion is 'offensive to his religion'. [...] I mean, here is a guy who beds a different woman every week (using contraception one would assume) and hasn't been to mass since his confirmation (mid 20s now, so over a decade), but here he is inexplicably taking the moral high ground....

Makes sense to me, from my own (long) past life as a Catholic believer. It's one thing to ignore all the bits you don't really agree with - after all, a bit of shagging is just a bit of fun, right? - but going along to a "F*ck the Catholic Church" party is like walking up to God and giving him the finger.

Anyone who believes - or just suspects - that God is out there, is going to get nervous about God sitting up and taking notice.

There are a lot of lapsed Catholics / practising atheists out there who would think twice about burning a crucifix.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's almost like pissing off your parents as a kid. Sure you'll go out drinking until the small hours but you're never shout obscenities at their faces.

5uspect wrote: »
    Yes, it is. You can't half go to heaven. You can he half saved. Either you suck up to god or he screws you.
    And Jesus is going to send them to hell for all their sins because he loves them.

Whoa there!

You seem to be confusing the Catholic Church with a fire 'n brimestone southern preacher.

I have never heard the hell and damnation lark mentioned in any mass i've ever attended.
    They can be offended all they want. Doesn't change anything.

Neither does your rambling post ;)
    Really? I could do a lot better TBH. This is the internet after all...
    **** the child raping Catholic Church who worships a god who ****ed his own mother.

And your the Internet hardman.

Ps, It's worship, no past tense "s" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

swampgas wrote: »
    Makes sense to me, from my own (long) past life as a Catholic believer. It's one thing to ignore all the bits you don't really agree with - after all, a bit of shagging is just a bit of fun, right? - but going along to a "F*ck the Catholic Church" party is like walking up to God and giving him the finger.

Anyone who believes - or just suspects - that God is out there, is going to get nervous about God sitting up and taking notice.

There are a lot of lapsed Catholics / practising atheists out there who would think twice about burning a crucifix.

Doesn't take much practice, I'm a practicing non-astronaut also, equally easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

And your the Internet hardman.

You mean you're surely? Don't quit the day job.

Bumped into the mother of the guy I was talking about in the OP today. she tells me he's looking forward to the big party on Friday :confused:

• Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

worships is 3rd person present, he/she/it worships ;)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

It's only offensive if you want it to be.
    Dressing up as Judas while screwing another dude dressed as Jesus from behind... now that would be a step too far IMO.

Advertisement