Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An odd example of lapsed Catholicism and Good Friday

Options
  • 18-04-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

So as some of you may know, I am one of those people who makes it my business to have a drink or two on Good Friday (damned if I'm sacrificing an enjoyable past time because of an unusual law created for a religion hardly anyone practices properly anymore). A like minded friend of mine has organized a drinking and (weather permitting) barbecue session up at his house, which he is affectionately calling the "F#ck the Catholic Church Party" (if it is a success we will form a political party of the same name).
    Anyhoo, he invited a bunch of mates. Most of us are going (one is coming down immediately after singing at the 5 o' clock mass :pac:). However, one friend has taken exception to the event, stating that the very notion is 'offensive to his religion'. Before this none of us had the slightest idea that he was a Catholic, let alone in anyway serious about it. I mean, here is a guy who beds a different woman every week (using contraception one would assume) and hasn't been to mass since his confirmation (mid 20s now, so over a decade), but here he is inexplicably taking the moral high ground....
    Suddenly we (the party goers) are the bad guys, and he's pretty ticked off about the whole thing.
    I'm absolutely perplexed how someone who can lead a lifestyle so un-Catholic is taking offense to a few beers and a BBBQ* on a Friday.
    The mind, she boggles!

*The extra B is for BYOBB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Would you not be better posting this in the Christianity forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Hmmm... party title needs more work.

Should really be called "F*ck the Vintners" or even "F*ck Irish Legislation"

The Church doesn't decide when pubs should and shouldn't be open.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

we'll you are kinda making a mockery of his beliefs, not that i'm religious but can you honestly not see what you did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

It always just comes back to identity. Unfortunately, most people see the religion they were indoctrinated into as some sort of persistant label, like their place of birth. Irrational I know, but thats people for you.

we'll you are kinda making a mockery of his beliefs, not that i'm religious but can you honestly not see what you did?

It has been pointed out that his beliefs do not align to that of Catholicism.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

liamw wrote: »
    It has been pointed out that his beliefs do not align to that of Catholicism.

he took offence, he follows catholicism in the context of good friday. if he is offended by the mocking of the event, he believes in it, its not that hard to grasp or is it???

he took offence, he follows catholicism in the context of good friday. if he is offended by the mocking of the event, he believes in it, its not that hard to grasp or is it???

'in the context of good friday'.. I'll let Galvasean answer but I bet his friend wouldn't have a problem drinking on Good Friday.

My point was that the offense is at base irrational. He identifies with the Catholic religion, even though he doesn't practice it or really believe in any of it's teachings.

So I don't think it's because of his beliefs, no.

EDIT: Maybe I was wrong.. he's against drinking on Good Friday but sleeps around?!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What perplexes me is the blatant hypocrisy in not adhering to any of the main beliefs of Catholicism, but getting stroppy about one of the minor rules such as eating meat / drinking alcohol on Good Friday.
    It would be like the police arresting people for loitering but ignoring murderers / rapists etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So do you have a spare place at this party then or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Galvasean wrote: »
    What perplexes me is the blatant hypocrisy in not adhering to any of the main beliefs of Catholicism, but getting stroppy about one of the minor rules such as eating meat / drinking alcohol on Good Friday.
    It would be like the police arresting people for loitering but ignoring murderers / rapists etc.

Would you not be better asking him this then yourself rather that posting it up on the atheism section of a website?

It seems to me that you have published the story just to get a bit of a giggle from members at the expense of your friend and a pat on the back for having your party on Good Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

"F#ck the Catholic Church Party"

^ I think I can guess why he is offended.

Would you not be better asking him this then yourself rather that posting it up on the atheism section of a website?

Tried to. He wont entertain the matter.
    It seems to me that you have published the story just to get a bit of a giggle from members and a pat on the back for having your party on Good Friday.

Yes, that's exactly it. I want all the people on the internet to think I'm cool. :rolleyes:
    While I admit my OP is more akin to an R&R style ramble (religion is a banned topic in R&R before anyone asks), it is really a general musing looking for input - that and I'm a tad bored right now.

I presume like determined and committed atheists none of the party-goers will be taking the Friday off from work?!

Even if the boss says "free day off lads" everyone will insist on staying at there desks and not leaving till the dot of 5, offended even by the thought of taking anytime off work for this recognition of illogical and superstitious religious practice?!

Thought not.

The hypocrisy of "a la carte Catholics" doesn't come close to ye lads on Good Friday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mossyc123 wrote: »
    I presume like determined and committed atheists none of the party-goers will be taking the Friday off from work?!

Even if the boss says "free day off lads" everyone will insist on staying at there desks and not leaving till the dot of 5, offended even by the thought of taking anytime off work for this recognition of illogical and superstitious religious practice?!

Thought not.

The hypocrisy of "a la carte Catholics" doesn't come close to ye lads on Good Friday :pac:

That makes no sense, I wouldnt care if my boss told me it was worship the flying unicorn day, a day off is a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

So non-Catholics are forced to obey a nonsensical rule based on a religion that he doesnt even bother following and he's the one who's offended? Fúcks sake if he's a good mate he should take it in his stride. It'd be like getting all offended because your mates are having a "fúck Fianna Fail party". The lad's a hypocrite imo

I am working on Friday (not getting paid any extra FWIW). I plan to do what I do most Fridays - go two work, finish work, meet friends, have some drink, be merry.

If the boss offered me a free (fully paid) day off work, but on the condition that I refused to eat meat, drink alcohol on the day or go to the party I'd probably have to decline his interesting offer. I hear it's going to be a lovely evening, perfect for a tasty barbecue and a nice cold beer.

its amazing how many Catholics slag off mass, berate the church, break nearly all the rules of being a Catholic on a regular basis and wouldnt dream of going to mass on one of the non "big days" yet someone pokes fun at easter and they lose their collective sh1t.

Standman wrote: »
    It'd be like getting all offended because your mates are having a "fúck Fianna Fail party". The lad's a hypocrite imo

Ad to that if he was a Fianna Fail voter who disagreed with every on of Fianna Fail's major policies.

Ad to that if he was a Fianna Fail voter who disagreed with every on of Fianna Fail's major policies.

or a vegetarian who eats fish.

or a lesbian who loves a bit of cock.

ah you get where I'm going with this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thought not.

Do you actually think that amounts to hypocrisy? Like, really?

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »

"sure atheists celebrate christmas!"

fffuuuuuuuu

Railing against not being allowed do something you like while being happy to accept something you do like = hypocrisy apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

jesus christ, its one day ffs

I am working on Friday (not getting paid any extra FWIW). I plan to do what I do most Fridays - go two work, finish work, meet friends, have some drink, be merry.

If the boss offered me a free (fully paid) day off work, but on the condition that I refused to eat meat, drink alcohol on the day or go to the party I'd probably have to decline his interesting offer. I hear it's going to be a lovely evening, perfect for a tasty barbecue and a nice cold beer.

I suppose you can't speak for everyone at the party but I'd wager a good portion of them will probably get to enjoy a paid day off that doesn't come out of holiday entitlements.

And then attend the party to bitch and moan about "a la carte Catholics" and the pubs not being open and being oppressed in general.

Or else they could just have the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

The lad clearly needs to wake up a bit and realise these disparities in his own head.

But, as you said, he's not open for discussion. I know the type...

krudler wrote: »
    "sure atheists celebrate christmas!"

fffuuuuuuuu

Easter is purely a Christian festival.

Christmas is different, taking over from traditional mid-winter festivals, etc, etc.

fffuuuuu right back at ya mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Perhaps he doesn't like you, or one of the women he was with is a close relation of yours and he wants to avoid embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Easter is purely a Christian festival.

Yeah, that whole pancake day, chocolate egg hunting, and magical bunny stuff are straight from the catechism.

You're turning into a really annoying poster fyi.

dabestman1 wrote: »
    jesus christ, its one day ffs

One day too many :P
    I suppose you can't speak for everyone at the party but I'd wager a good portion of them will probably get to enjoy a paid day off that doesn't come out of holiday entitlements.

You're right I can't speak for anyone else. All I can offer is my own take on it.
    And then attend the party to bitch and moan about "a la carte Catholics" and the pubs not being open and being oppressed in general.

To be honest, despite the party's nickname I can't imagine there will be much talk of religion or lack thereof. It's not really a good party topic.
    Besides bitching and moaning about ala carte catholics would be detrimental to the fun when half the revilers are just that.
    Or else they could just have the craic.

Agreed :)

• Advertisement

Quite a lot of people on here espouse a view of completely wiping Christian influence from Irish life.

If you do this then you should follow through, practice what you preach, etc and refuse to take anytime off for Good Friday.

If you really are committed to it and not just an "a la carte Atheist" :pac:

Advertisement