Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An odd example of lapsed Catholicism and Good Friday

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

You mean you're surely? Don't quit the day job.
    koth wrote: »
    worships is 3rd person present, he/she/it worships ;)

:o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Whoa there!

You seem to be confusing the Catholic Church with a fire 'n brimestone southern preacher.

No not at all.
    You can chose to be an kind of Christian you want. You can join any Christian church from the most woolly to the most Bible beating insane.
    However if you want to be a Catholic you have to live your life exactly according to Catholic dogma.
    I have never heard the hell and damnation lark mentioned in any mass i've ever attended.

What's the purpose of Confession then? They've got a more postmodern interpretation of hell nowadays that defines it as eternal separation from God.
    But hell is a very much a part of Catholic dogma:
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm

Neither does your rambling post ;)

And your the Internet hardman.

Ps, It's worship, no past tense "s" :pac:

So your response is just personal abuse then?
    Classic lapsed Catholic behaviour TBH.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Bumped into the mother of the guy I was talking about in the OP today. she tells me he's looking forward to the big party on Friday :confused:
    It's only offensive if you want it to be.
    Dressing up as Judas while screwing another dude dressed as Jesus from behind... now that would be a step too far IMO.

Sounds like you've got an interesting experiment to do at this party.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Are there any stats on how much drink is sold in the run-up to Good Friday? I've often witnessed scenes of near panic buying, and I wonder if the drinks industry is keener than anyone to keep the whole thing going.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

5uspect wrote: »
    No not at all.
    You can chose to be an kind of Christian you want. You can join any Christian church from the most woolly to the most Bible beating insane.
    However if you want to be a Catholic you have to live your life exactly according to Catholic dogma.

Not in my experience.

They don't lock the doors if you don't agree with all teachings.
    So your response is just personal abuse then?
    Classic lapsed Catholic behaviour TBH.

Personal abuse?!

I called your post rambling, which it was.

Nothing personal.

Your posting "F*** the child raping Church"... Internet hardman language in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

darjeeling wrote: »
    Are there any stats on how much drink is sold in the run-up to Good Friday? I've often witnessed scenes of near panic buying, and I wonder if the drinks industry is keener than anyone to keep the whole thing going.
    Very good point. I bet it serves the vintners and tax grabbing government better to have people buying more than they need just in case they run out of booze on GFriday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Last good friday my fridge broke making my beer warm and the meat would have went wonky (fortunately we ate it all before it went bad).
    Maybe there is something to this whole Catholicism thing?

Not in my experience.

They don't lock the doors if you don't agree with all teachings.

They do if you make you voice heard or do something they don't like:
    http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1883598,00.html
    And there are plenty more examples.

Of course nobody discusses their condom use during Mass so your point is moot.

Personal abuse?!

I called your post rambling, which it was.

Nothing personal.

Your posting "F*** the child raping Church"... Internet hardman language in my book.

Do you know what an ad hominem is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

I have never heard the hell and damnation lark mentioned in any mass i've ever attended

This is because the true Gospel is not preached at most Mass services, but rather we receive watered-down, wishy-washy, liberal stuff that was introduced by hippy priests and dissident theologians in the 1960s who have made the Church a rotten institution (although I should add that the Church itself is perfect as the bride of Christ. Rather, it is the members who are rotten).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Dressing up as Judas while screwing another dude dressed as Jesus from behind... now that would be a step too far IMO.

Nailing Jesus . . . . lol

I hope David Quinn reads this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Thats a bit of a bullsh*t defence to be honest. You could apply that to anything.

No one will have an issue with you consuming alcohol and meat on Good Friday since you are an atheist. However I think it is unnecessary for you to have a party with a title which is solely named to annoy and offend Catholics.

Would you have a f*ck ramadan party if you lived in an Islamic country or a f*ck Yom Kippur party if you lived in Israel?

Nailing Jesus . . . . lol

I can't believe that didn't occur to me. :o
    Thats a bit of a bullsh*t defence to be honest. You could apply that to anything.

No one will have an issue with you consuming alcohol and meat on Good Friday since you are an atheist. However I think it is unnecessary for you to have a party with a title which is solely named to annoy and offend Catholics.

True I suppose. But I dont think its very offensive. I think anyone who thinks a few atheists, agnostics and lapsed Catholics attending a 'F#ck the Catholic Church' party is looking to be offended somewhat. I mean maybe I'm just overly thick-skinned but if a bunch of Catholics oganized an "atheists are gonna burn in hell LOLers!" party I wouldn't take offense.
    Would you have a f*ck ramadan party if you lived in an Islamic country or a f*ck Yom Kippur party if you lived in Israel?

Not in an Islamic country. Not because I would be afraid of offending some easily offended Muslims, but because I'd probably end up dead as a result.
    Same for Israel. I'd do it if I knew it was safe. Probably depends on what part of Israel I was in.

[pedantic]FWIW, Ireland is not a Catholic country, but a secular one with a Catholic majority[/pedantic]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Well Gaviscon, how would you feel if I organised a party called 'F**K PALEONTOLOGY' ?:pac:

liamw wrote: »
    Well Gaviscon, how would you feel if I organised a party called 'F**K PALEONTOLOGY' ?:pac:

I'd have a bone to pick with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'd have a bone to pick with you!

You'd make him dig his own grave....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

So you object to the percieved persecutions (Catholic Schools, the Angelus, etc) but not the benefits (Christian holidays)

Shows a weakness in the committed Anti-Theist.

Not a good way to go about achieving the glorious wiping Religion from every aspect of Irish life you all crave :)
    Death to holidays! There is no god, ergo I crave work!

crazy.png

Mossy, I take Saturdays off work, not because I'm Jewish, but because it's a day off work. You probably do to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Fair 'nuff.

Thought Mid-Winter and Summer Solstice were the only widespread pre-Christian festivals.

Your learn somethin' new everyday. :)

Easter, however follows it's own traditions in terms of dating. The dates are based on the Passover ( which was Jesus' last feast) - although Jewish and Christian dates are occasionally different. Ergo, the festival cannot be taking over from a previous celtic festival.

Also why do atheists think that pagan = atheist? Obviously paganism influenced Catholicism, a largely syncretic religion. Celtic Christians continued as before, with Christ added. Paganism is the pre-cursor to Christianity on these islands, and is religious.

Surely an red-blooded atheist would reject bronze age lunarsolar calendars. and demand the Age of Reason would stick the date of the spring feast. ( This year it comes the week before May day - would any atheist bank holiday have two in a row?)

For these reasons I expect you all in work Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

mikhail wrote: »
    Death to holidays! There is no god, ergo I crave work!

Mossy, I take Saturdays off work, not because I'm Jewish, but because it's a day off work. You probably do to.

The whole thing needs to be re-designed for the Age of Reason: a ten day week with 3 days off, and um ten months of 3 weeks with....

f*ck it. You do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Yahew wrote: »
    Easter, however follows it's own traditions in terms of dating. The dates are based on the Passover ( which was Jesus' last feast) - although Jewish and Christian dates are occasionally different. Ergo, the festival cannot be taking over from a previous celtic festival.

Ever hear of Cybele and Attis?
    Also why do atheists think that pagan = atheist? Obviously paganism influenced Catholicism, a largely syncretic religion. Celtic Christians continued as before, with Christ added. Paganism is the pre-cursor to Christianity on these islands, and is religious.

The point is that none of the christianity myth stories are unique. They are borrowed and appropriated from other religions that came before it. It makes the believability and veracity of claims to be "the one true religion" even more dubious.
    Surely an red-blooded atheist would reject bronze age lunarsolar calendars. and demand the Age of Reason would stick the date of the spring feast. ( This year it comes the week before May day - would any atheist bank holiday have two in a row?)

Surely any red-blooded christian would have rejected appropriating mythology from other sources and come up with something unique.

Advertisement