Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* D.C.G. HL predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread only please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Joseph... wrote: »
    this subject is becoming one of those easy a1 subjects along with the likes of ag science and so on...last years exam was a walk aswel...wat did ye think of last years exam in comparison to this years??

Same standard. They're giving us handy A1's so that way they can lure more students in to this fancy new subject then BAM! 14% A rate drops to about 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Joseph... wrote: »
    this subject is becoming one of those easy a1 subjects along with the likes of ag science and so on...last years exam was a walk aswel...wat did ye think of last years exam in comparison to this years??
    Last years was easy enough. I got about 90% in it. Nothing mind-blowing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 easkey92

this year has to be the easiest yet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Again, did anyone else feel there was a mistake in the assembly question?

Ian_K wrote: »
    Again, did anyone else feel there was a mistake in the assembly question?
    Could you be more specific? I didn't find anything wrong when I did it.

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Could you be more specific? I didn't find anything wrong when I did it.

The measurements for the perch piece didnt match up to the diagram in mine anyway, the broken lines they showed looked to be in the wrong place, also the two perches got in the way of the top of the triangle from the bottom piece but this bit may have been a mistake on my part

I didn't draw the broken lines, I just drew the entire length. Perch fit okay for me.

I didn't draw the broken lines, I just drew the entire length. Perch fit okay for me.

The diagram shows broken lines on the inside of the perch, so in the A-A elevation they would be proper lines, theres a hollow in the middle of the perch like, anyway the diagram shows this coming up 20mm i think but when you draw it out the line is only about half the way up where it is in the diagram so i think it should have been 30 or 40mm and not 20

Oh I understand, the dotted lines? I imagined it cut in half and drew the dotted lines as the only lines. It's kind of hard to picture it now without it in front of me. I was thinking about modelling it in Solidworks later if I'm bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Wait, Maths isn't a requirement in Letterfrack? :eek:

Well it is but you can get an HL E and still get in. It's D3 for ordinary. They only have three courses and take in 64 students every year.

• Advertisement

Well it is but you can get an HL E and still get in. It's D3 for ordinary. They only have three courses and take in 64 students every year.
    That's interesting, well it's certainly an option if I miss the Maths requirement.

Yeah I've Letterfrack WW teaching down as my number 4 and UL at number 1.

Letterfrack doesnt give you the qualification to teach Maths at Junior Cert or Technology to LC

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

RHunce wrote: »
    Letterfrack doesnt give you the qualification to teach Maths at Junior Cert or Technology to LC

Oh I didn't know UL gave you that? Ah ya learn something new everyday. So i'll put UL as my number 1 and Letterfrack as 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

for only 3 1/2 months drawing classes in 2 years I thought the HL was very easy and I could answer all the qustion I chose.

b-1, b-3
    c-2, c-3

Oh I didn't know UL gave you that? Ah ya learn something new everyday. So i'll put UL as my number 1 and Letterfrack as 2.
    Good man, hopefully we'll see you there! We seem to be building up a little army of chippies for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bambi1991

Personally I thought the exam was pretty nice, d interpenetration was b-i-utiful but the other students in my year hadnt done cams before (i learned it the night before). How many marks would it be worth? 25?

half of that question I'd say. The second part was also very easy, even if you used tracing paper to draw the circle and map the locus by rotating the point yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Im actually quite nervous about my result now after hearing that literally the whole country found it "easy", marks will be hard to come by for me so when the marking scheme will be adjusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

I'm teaching DCG and was shocked at how easy the exam was. An incredible drop in standard from the previous course. Hard on the good student because so many will get so much correct. A good Junior cert student would go a long way on that paper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

How Technical Drawing has changed! It's only a shadow of the gruelling (and difficult) 2 x 3 hours exam that it once was.

• Advertisement

dambarude wrote: »
    How Technical Drawing has changed! It's only a shadow of the gruelling (and difficult) 2 x 3 hours exam that it once was.

We have projects that were probably 50 to 70 hrs worth of work during which we didn't have much time for drawing. It's a lot harder now in my opinion. We're just getting easier exams for the beginning of the course.

Yeah, I'm expecting them to bump right up in difficulty within 5 years, all sorts of stuff like tangent planes, gears, harder dynamic mechanisms and tougher assemblies. You have to understand they need to gradually tweak the course and they only get 1 chance a year to give new stuff a test drive. Will be interesting to see what next year's student assignment is, I might give it a try in my spare time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭daviekelly123

would anyones compass not go big enough for the major axes of the ellipse in structural forms? :O and howd ya get the bottom left curve in the end view?

I believe you'll have your own student assignment each year Cydoniac :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 yannfann

would anyones compass not go big enough for the major axes of the ellipse in structural forms? :O and howd ya get the bottom left curve in the end view?

My compass almost didn't and I was actually Sh****ng it xD I had to pull out the lead a little bit for it to work :P And I couldn't get the bottom left of the curve :/ I got the bottom point and just did a rough freehand of what I imagined the curve to look like! I think there was a way if you drew the bottom half of the elipse but I wasn't sure. Bar that the exam was far too easy. I was actually hoping for a bit of a challenge, but I flew through it, very basic stuff. Had 50 mins left at the end to just check everything!

why didn't ye just use a trammel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ivan Offlcockitch

Ya actually now that you bring it up....I used the trammel for the ellipse but I forgot to draw the trammel and say "trammel method used".
    It just looks like I did it by guesswork now.
    What do ye think will happen in correcting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 yannfann

I drew the elipse using minor and major axis and their circles. But the end view was where I couldnt find the bottom half of the curve, ie below where extending cb/cd and bringing it accross from elevation gets you.

Ya actually now that you bring it up....I used the trammel for the ellipse but I forgot to draw the trammel and say "trammel method used".
    It just looks like I did it by guesswork now.
    What do ye think will happen in correcting?

I think they'll just presume if it looks accurate.

I stuck my trammel on the sheet. Easiest thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ivan Offlcockitch

I think they'll just presume if it looks accurate.

I stuck my trammel on the sheet. Easiest thing to do.

ya i hope so.

Im fair annoyed with myself for forgettin to put it in at the end.Would much marks be deducted do ye think tho?
    Anyway hopefully itll be fine.

Advertisement