Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* D.C.G. HL predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread only please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

i think it said something like 'nearest in line' something something that the roller comes to it is 52 mm, surely this is the minimum radius of the actual cam as a whole yes ????? and then at the end just put a 24mm circle in the middle of it ?

i did a third option wiestion anyways in case i made a mistake
    The nearest approach is 52mm. You're right, that is the minimum point of the cam. I'd explain it in more detail but I'm frazzled from DCG and tired out :P

Chances of me getting an A1? I did a great project and aced the test. How many marks is the entire subject marked out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭beargrylls93

Cydoniac wrote: »
    The nearest approach is 52mm. You're right, that is the minimum point of the cam. I'd explain it in more detail but I'm frazzled from DCG and tired out :P

Chances of me getting an A1? I did a great project and aced the test. How many marks is the entire subject marked out of?

great sure i might be docked 5 for not putting in the final circle so ??
    if you get 40 on the project and 80% out of the test thats an A1,or if you got 220/240 on the test and 35 on the project thats an a1 so its fairly possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

Roads question was the easiest question by far!! lol i read the question a couple of times just to make sure. i was finished it in about 10mins
    The axonometric was 3rd year stuff except for the part(d).
    Assemblies took ages but they didnt make it as difficult as others to picture what goes where.
    the short questions were too easy aswell. finished them pretty quick.
    Damn I thought this paper was going to be rock hard, delighted with it though :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vDarr

Almost too easy I thought?
    axonometric projection question looked like it belonged on the Junior Cert course.

I was finished the long questions with over an hour and a half to spare :L

Delighted with it! What are they going to do if half the country get A's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Did anyone else think there was a mistake in the assembly? the two perches in the bird feeder seemed to overlap some other structure in the middle, also the diagram for the perch seemed very dodgy, think the may have written 20 instead of thirty perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ADeVoy

Did anyone else have to double-check because they thought they had been given the Ordinary Level paper? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mcon1

Think i'm the only one that messed up the timing!! Spent over an hour on the roof structures q cause i couldn't get the bottom half of the curve in end view...only had 15 min for the interpenatration q.
    Done the elevation,plan and auxillary and found 1 point in the auxillary on the interpenatration q...how many marks do ye think i'l get?? In 2009 ya got 19/45 for just drawing the elevation and plan

Ian_K wrote: »
    Did anyone else think there was a mistake in the assembly? the two perches in the bird feeder seemed to overlap some other structure in the middle, also the diagram for the perch seemed very dodgy, think the may have written 20 instead of thirty perhaps?
    I did find it odd at first, took me a while to reorient the pieces in my head. The two perches seemed to join together in mine just on top of that cone-shaped top. I hope I did it right.

Ironically I think I would have done worse off in the OL paper after looking at it. Everything I knew well came up for HL, I was lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 larkin1993

Did anyone find the in first short question that the x1y1 line wasn't perpendicular to the edge of the tetrahedron?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 WreckinBar

larkin1993 wrote: »
    Did anyone find the in first short question that the x1y1 line wasn't perpendicular to the edge of the tetrahedron?

No, it was perpendicular to the line |ad| the line of intersection between triangle abc and abd. I think so anyway, that's what if looks like in this.

• Advertisement

I was a bit worried whether I got that tetrahedron question right or not! Were you supposed to get that dihedral angle from your x1y1, as in what looked like two triangles with equal angles? I carried onto an x2y2 just to be doubly sure, and did the skew planes to cover my ass just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kev.f

No, it was perpendicular to the line |ad| the line of intersection between triangle abc and abd. I think so anyway, that's what if looks like in this.

exatly and line ab is a true lenght in elevation so looking along that true lenght gives you your angle

• Registered Users Posts: 24 WreckinBar

well, iv two questions would appreciate if someone helped......... in C-1 the mining geometry part it asked for the strike by 'completing the construction', did anyone else now know what it meant ? i went and put the co-ordinates onto a new sheet and found it the normal way

As far as I know that question was just joining G to the second notch up from F (@70). That line is the strike line. That's what I did anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 larkin1993

thanks guys :) just realised I'd read the question wrong :/ didnt realise it siad new plan and I tried to do a new elevation :/ there goes the a1 :(

kev.f wrote: »
    exatly and line ab is a true lenght in elevation so looking along that true lenght gives you your angle
    So if you ended up two triangles sharing the one line, it's right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 john1741

Expecting a B2 after that, should make up for not doing as well in maths as I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i skipped the 1st short question and did the other three:p then the axonometric, it was lovely, then the parabola one...also nice with the "get the true shape" etc, the road was lovely and then i did structural forms, obviously i didn't get everything perfect but i was very happy leaving the exam :) i love you SEC, i was worried beforehand and i calmed right down, even calmer now as im DONE!!!! yipeeee celebrating to be done now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kev.f

So if you ended up two triangles sharing the one line, it's right?

emm have to be doing it to expalin it.

the line ab will end up as a point in the axulary
    c and d will give you 2 more points
    join c and d to the point ab giving you your angle

99% sure that that is right

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Floydy B

mcon1 wrote: »
    Think i'm the only one that messed up the timing!! Spent over an hour on the roof structures q cause i couldn't get the bottom half of the curve in end view...only had 15 min for the interpenatration q.
    Done the elevation,plan and auxillary and found 1 point in the auxillary on the interpenatration q...how many marks do ye think i'l get?? In 2009 ya got 19/45 for just drawing the elevation and plan

Yeah man,couldn't figure out the bottom half of curve either,it was tricky enough...i just drove on with it and finished off the line to what i thought it might be,hopefully won't lose too many marks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Floydy B wrote: »
    Yeah man,couldn't figure out the bottom half of curve either,it was tricky enough...i just drove on with it and finished off the line to what i thought it might be,hopefully won't lose too many marks for it.

Did ANYONE get that part of the curve (C-2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Floydy B

I think i got where it ends on the XY, i just carried on with one of the elements at the side,not sure if it was right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

MikeHough wrote: »
    Did ANYONE get that part of the curve (C-2)

was that along S-S?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

RHunce wrote: »
    was that along S-S?

no the bottom left of the end view.
    But ya actually how did you get the curve along s s aswell?

MikeHough wrote: »
    no the bottom left of the end view.
    But ya actually how did you get the curve along s s aswell?

oh yeah i got the curve on the bottom left, all you have to do is continue the ellipse in elevation (as it is only a half ellipse) and bring down the elements to where it hits the outside of the curve of the ellipse, then bring that point across to end elevation and continue the same element in end elevation until it hits the line you brought across, join this to the rest of your curve and that's it completed. You could use a few elements for greater accuracy. Hope that makes sense.

Struggled with S-S, got an answer but not the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mcon1

First time plane directors haven't been on Question C2...i'd say the section s-s will be worth more or less the same marks as the plane directors were which was 6/7

mcon1 wrote: »
    First time plane directors haven't been on Question C2...i'd say the section s-s will be worth more or less the same marks as the plane directors were which was 6/7

4 marks I think but I'm open to correction :o

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

I have it on my CAO but I'm dead set on UL at the moment :P
    We might meet in a few years time though!

Maybe, I have UL as my first choice but I might have failed maths. I'm actually thinking of putting Letterfrack up to first choice. You spend the second 2 years in Galway so you don't miss out totally on the 'craic'. :)

Griffen262 wrote: »
    Cydoniac, Id watch this guy...*shivers
    I don't swing that way if that's what your implying? :rolleyes:

Wait, Maths isn't a requirement in Letterfrack? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

I don't swing that way if that's what your implying? :rolleyes:

Haha, Well when you insisted on bringing him to "Letterfrack" of all places, it seemed fishy. Its not the most pleasant of places... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

this subject is becoming one of those easy a1 subjects along with the likes of ag science and so on...last years exam was a walk aswel...wat did ye think of last years exam in comparison to this years??

Advertisement