Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* D.C.G. HL predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread only please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Honest question...what are the chances of gears coming up? I'll have to learn them because I've never done them before and the calculations look insane to have ready in one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hairybacon

developments in surface geometry?
    Page 297 of the red book.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

Does anyone know a good website for Geologic and Surface Geometry sections beside examination.ie???

It should be on the t4.ie website I think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hairybacon

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Honest question...what are the chances of gears coming up? I'll have to learn them because I've never done them before and the calculations look insane to have ready in one day.

Well this is the first I heard of them- the book says you have to construct epicycloidal gear profiles. As far as I can see all the ones in the book are nearly the same, I'm just going to read over pages 194/5 and let her be lucky!

hairybacon wrote: »
    Well this is the first I heard of them- the book says you have to construct epicycloidal gear profiles. As far as I can see all the ones in the book are nearly the same, I'm just going to read over pages 194/5 and let her be lucky!
    Hopefully it won't come up but I can't take any chances. I just wish I was aware of this before...

Alternatively I could learn Geologic Geometry. Opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Griffen262 wrote: »
    Got a question, no doubt ye'll help me out.

Having a look at laminas here and saw this Q in the samples in the exam papers.

(c)Determine the angle of inclination of the line of intersection to the vertical(or in some questions the horizontal) plane.

Vertical Plane Question

Horizontal plane Question

Notice question (d), find the dihedral angle...Now, I know how to set up these questions and find the line of intersection and also the dihedral angle, like this example..

But these questions (c)'s are putting me off, Do you find the trace's of the planes? and thus the dihedral angle?...like this example?

God, id love to have the teacher beside me for a few hours looking over things..

P.S Galwayman17... <3
    Here ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

hairybacon wrote: »
    Page 297 of the red book.

thats just practise tbh. you get into a rythym doing it.! this exam tomorrow im $hitting a brick for it!

Hopefully it won't come up but I can't take any chances. I just wish I was aware of this before...

Alternatively I could learn Geologic Geometry. Opinions?

geologic geometry isnt that hard but i dont really understand your situation, havnt read the comments,

but ya the first part is simple with the roadworks and the 2nd part (boreholes) is a lil bit harder but not that much.

geologic geometry isnt that hard but i dont really understand your situation, havnt read the comments,

but ya the first part is simple with the roadworks and the 2nd part (boreholes) is a lil bit harder but not that much.
    Basically at the moment I can only do Dynamic Mechanisms and Assemblies, but I've never done the gears question. While it hasn't come up the past two years I'm kind of paranoid that it will come up and I'm unsure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

Can you use A2 paper?

• Advertisement

Can you use A2 paper?
    A2 paper is given to you I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

wouldnt recommend learning geologic geometry in a day. It's not difficult, but being able to do it well requires practice, you're better off learning gears in the time we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

For section A my moneys on 1. perspective, 2.elipse/parabolas(if parabola probably the hyper one =]) 3. dimetric/trimetric and finally possibly a skew lines question
    for section B i think solids in contact is due, interpenetration, and for the third one im sort of torn between intersecting planes and oblique planes cause they both came up in 2009 and 2010 (hopefully intersecting planes, by far the easiest question on the paper)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

A2 paper is given to you I think.

does anyone know if the paper is lined in already or do we have to do all that......tedious like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Jaysys, I haven't lined in paper since second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

God I remember last year doing it-twas a dream exam....theres a sort of a laid back, feel good factor bout the day cos you've the weekend and its the 1st real chill time you get to recharge...if your not finished that is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

Joseph... wrote: »
    God I remember last year doing it-twas a dream exam....theres a sort of a laid back, feel good factor bout the day cos you've the weekend and its the 1st real chill time you get to recharge...if your not finished that is!!
    my weekend will be spent trying to cram 2 years worth of physics and maybe some app maths.

Basically at the moment I can only do Dynamic Mechanisms and Assemblies, but I've never done the gears question. While it hasn't come up the past two years I'm kind of paranoid that it will come up and I'm unsure what to do.

ya i agree with ride the spiral, it is simple but not possible to master it in a day! the only sanity i have left from thinking about this exam is that surface and geologic geometry will defo e on the paper!

i cannot wait until this exam is over!

Feeling very anxious about this exam. It could either be beautiful or absolutely horrible. I'm just praying that gears question won't come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

It should be easy to pass if you did a goood project.

Im fairly ****ed for the exam, we only had 3 1/2 months of actual drawing classes in 2 years.
    5th year no teacher, 6th project until febuary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Kedo93

Feeling very anxious about this exam. It could either be beautiful or absolutely horrible. I'm just praying that gears question won't come up.
    Right on with ya! I just can't get my head around those gears. our teacher thought us a really different way from our book. Everytime I look at the book method I'm completely baffled. The worst bit is learning all those formulae...god I hate them gears!

im more nervous for this than i was for biology. i hope to god i can answer the section b questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Hope what i learned comes up, i'm like everyone else havent a notion of gears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Doyle 2

Do ya need your own drawing board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

bring your own t square if you have it, tables should be adequate for drawin, i know im getting one of the tables from the tech graph room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mullarkey b

Mousey- wrote: »
    bring your own t square if you have it, tables should be adequate for drawin, i know im getting one of the tables from the tech graph room
    your own t-square!? my god thats awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Cant wait, this is gonna be some craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

That was a nice, handy enough exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

That was a nice, handy enough exam.

Twas indeed boy.
    Very happy with it.
    Which Qs did ye all do???
    Sneaky enough of them to leave of oblique plane and skew planes i thought

• Advertisement

That test was so amazing! I actually feel like I'm well on the way to an A1!

I did all 4 of the Section A questions.
    Section B - Did the axonometric and lipstick cut section. Lipstick one was fantastic.
    Section C - Dynamic Mechanisms and Assemblies. The cam was unbelievably easy, I couldn't believe they weren't asking for UAR or having to work backwards. Bird Feeder was brilliant to do, I definitely assembled it right, hopefully got all hatching, and my angle was 145, did anyone else get anything in the region of that?

Advertisement