Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH royal wedding mega thread (no flaming queens)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

hondasam wrote: »
    STFU plenty of men watched it.

Name them. All.

steve9859 wrote: »
    You do know that the wedding is finished, right??? You are more obsessed with it than the people who watched it!

It;s called a conversation, a debate etc.
    You do know how this forum internet thingy works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

gambiaman wrote: »
    I'd argue that straight away.

jaysus, I'm trembling at the thought of your obvious manliness ... the Testosterone must be fookin bursting from yeah

any spouse/wive/girlfriend BTW? nah thought not

24.5% doesn't include the people watching in pubs or in other groups.

I popped out here in Brighton at 10:30 to nip out to the corner shop. I live near a busy street in the city centre. The streets were empty.

I had never seen the streets so quite before.

Lie in?

jaysus, I'm trembling at the thought of your obvious manliness ... the Testosterone must be fookin bursting from yeah

any spouse/wive/girlfriend BTW? nah thought not

Do you usually reply to your own questions?
    Are you the all-seeing eye?
    Will I answer?, will I fcuk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

will I fcuk.
    doubt it :D

/troll feeding

Because it was BRITISH 'pomp and grandour' is the reason from what I can see.

That some seriously arrogant superiorty complexes.

No.
    The utter fawning gushing is enough to get the dander up.
    I'm very aware the two that married may be beautiful human beings...do you get it yet?
    Do you understand the against actually isn't against two humans but the awful, awful stuff that surrounds them, the stuff that braindead zombies are blissfully endorsing.
    That pomp, that ceremony and everything that it entails is not a fairytale and never was unless you are unattached from reality. (and have never read more than the X Factor Annual)

doubt it :D

/troll feeding

You know in most forums you shouldn't accuse another of trolling but actually report them?
    The button is not far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Can we make 100 pages :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Can we make 100 pages :eek::eek:

I think gambiaman can probably do that on his own!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Lie in?

Maybe, but it was well into the afternoon before I went out and the roads were still deserted. Far quieter than any other bank holiday during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No.
    The utter fawning gushing is enough to get the dander up.
    I'm very aware the two that married may be beautiful human beings...do you get it yet?
    Do you understand the against actually isn't against two humans but the awful, awful stuff that surrounds them, the stuff that braindead zombies are blissfully endorsing.
    That pomp, that ceremony and everything that it entails is not a fairytale and never was unless you are unattached from reality. (and have never read more than the X Factor Annual)

What I get is that many people, yourself included, seem to think that if enjoyed the Wedding you were somehow intellectually inferior to them.

That or they have an issue with anyone who does not have an issue with the royals/Britain.

I just don't see why anyone would begrudge anyone else a little entertainment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

The BBC revealed that, taking into account those who watched the Royal Wedding online and those who watched at least part of the event rather than all of it, then 34 million people in the UK watched it, over half the population.

But the BBC was only including those who watched it on the BBC New website. There may have been a few million or so more who watched it on other websites.

This would make it the largest TV audience in the UK in history, beating the previous record of 32.3 million who watched the 1966 World Cup Final.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The '66 world cup being a significantly higher percentage of the population though back then. Although back then the entertainment options would have been a choice of watch the final on telly, or scratch your balls. Now there are a few more channels to view so it's more difficult to get those kind of viewing numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I was in London, at a Royal Wedding street party in Battersea with about 5,000 other people. The police have said that 5,500 roads were closed for street parties. Viewing figures on the TV were through the roof. Pubs were advertising royal wedding barbeques for days leading up to the event. A million people were on the Mall. Shops and high streets were incredibly quiet all day.

I am not sure how people such as gambiaman work out that is was only a minority of people in England that were interested. There was a massive outpouring of national pride, and even republican minded friends of mine (and also republican minded commentators in the newspapers the following day) would grudgingly admit that the nation went to bed happier and more positive than it was when it got up that morning. In these austere times, that is exactly what was needed!

Those such as gambiaman who are slagging everyone who watched it and suggesting that people, even British people, werent interested maybe should have gone to England for the day and seen for themself! On another note, I think it has put the idea of British republicanism back a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I was in London, at a Royal Wedding street party in Battersea with about 5,000 other people. The police have said that 5,500 roads were closed for street parties. Viewing figures on the TV were through the roof. Pubs were advertising royal wedding barbeques for days leading up to the event. A million people were on the Mall. Shops and high streets were incredibly quiet all day.

I am not sure how people such as gambiaman work out that is was only a minority of people in England that were interested. There was a massive outpouring of national pride, and even republican minded friends of mine (and also republican minded commentators in the newspapers the following day) would grudgingly admit that the nation went to bed happier and more positive than it was when it got up that morning. In these austere times, that is exactly what was needed!

Those such as gambiaman who are slagging everyone who watched it and suggesting that people, even British people, werent interested maybe should have gone to England for the day and seen for themself! On another note, I think it has put the idea of British republicanism back a generation.

The event with regards to street parties and the like passed Scotland by therefore the 'national' thing is more English than British

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

The event with regards to street parties and the like passed Scotland by therefore the 'national' thing is more English than British.

With exception of Kelvingrove:)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,943 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, forget Britain, a whole lot elsewhere were watching too, and they weren't let down. Take it for what it is, an event, a show, a display.
    People look to deep into it, and miss the quality. It's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Who told you that? The royal ratings fairy?
    Did you count them all or did you feel you couldn't miss out on the hive action and wanted to add to the billion or two just in case you'd miss out on the womanly water cooler gossip.

Of course, your post is sprinkled with accusatory ism's cos that's what people like you do to salve your own bloody conscience.

People like me...? Lol, you really are an angry little man, aren't you?

Lighten up - that rather large chip on your shoulder is turning you into a rather large hypocrite. Accusatory ism's seem to be your forte, not mine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Seanchai wrote: »
    PS: According to the BBC only 24.5 million people in the UK watched their royal wedding - that is, 24.5 million out of a population of 62 million. In other words, not even 40% of the UK population watched it, even though it was a day off. Despite all the royalist propaganda, it was a minority interest even in the UK. Fact.

Wrong.

You've brought that point up before. An estimated 24.5m adults watched it on the BBC in their own homes. Children are not counted when estimating these types of viewing figures.

Also, linking people's viewing to their IQ says more about your own prejudices than anything else. One's IQ doesn't go up or down when you read or view tabloid dross. If it were the case then how low has yours gone since you've been reading and replying to AH threads? Let's face it, AH is about as tabloid as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'd argue that straight away.

Woohoo, now you define someone's gender based on their viewing preferences?

What a man! What an intellect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

The event with regards to street parties and the like passed Scotland by therefore the 'national' thing is more English than British

Hasn't it always been?

The United Kingdom is more of a Greater England, with a few exceptions. Wales being one of them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Chris Doherty

Phoned a recruitment agency on Friday, about two jobs they advertised, the girl had taken the day off to watch the Royals. I thought I had left that behind in the 80's when Wills ma and da had their day out and all the girls in the office took off to the pub to watch it. What made it worse was the boss let them. I pulled a fast one the following year, told him I was catholic and couldn't work Good Friday. He fell for it, but I wasted the day, forgot the pub was closed.

What do ye think Open or Close on Good Friday

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Woohoo, now you define someone's gender based on their viewing preferences?

What a man! What an intellect!

AH! Tabloid! Dig!

People like me...? Lol, you really are an angry little man, aren't you?

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

AH! Tabloid! Dig!
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr

I hope these posts are not indicative of your intelligence gambiaman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are the Irish viewing figures available yet?

Check the wedding rating thread on the television forum.

mike65 wrote: »
    Check the wedding rating thread on the television forum.

Well I wouldn't have guessed the numbers being that high.

I hope these posts are not indicative of your intelligence gambiaman.

Says the fawning royalist. In After Hours. :p

• Advertisement

Says the fawning royalist. In After Hours. :p

Your really not making any sense.

Advertisement