Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

any jobs goin round the area anyone knows of ? tried all fas , job website to no avail ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

Moanna wrote: »
    Anyone here work in Abbott. Iv been offered an office job but have heard very bad reports about the place.

I work in Abbott, and I couldn't fault the place,I love it there,but that's just me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Anyone here work in Abbott. Iv been offered an office job but have heard very bad reports about the place.

Don't listen to them. I heard the same reports before taking a job there last summer, couldn't fault the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I don't work there but I have heard the same reports. In fact over the years I've probably heard the same reports about every multinational in the region. They will get their pound of flesh from you. Every profitable company will. These days no matter who the company are be prepared to work hard and work longer hours than your contract strictly says or be prepared to sit on the dole. That's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭FordDriver

Does anyone know why walshe waste went out of business. it says so on clonmelonline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

I think Molloy's bought them rather than Walsh going bust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭FordDriver

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    I think Molloy's bought them rather than Walsh going bust
    Who are Molloy's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

FordDriver wrote: »
    Who are Molloy's?

Clonmel Waste Disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I heard tonight of the sad passing of one of my teachers in the Tech Mr Tony "Mama" Lillis a great teacher who did his best for his students :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I heard tonight of the sad passing of one of my teachers in the Tech Mr Tony "Mama" Lillis a great teacher who did his best for his students :-(
    Heard this tonight aswel,he was a sound man and a very good teacher, RIP

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    Clonmel Waste Disposal.
    Was it them that had the four bin trucks burnt out the other night in Clonmel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

tippspur wrote: »
    Heard this tonight aswel,he was a sound man and a very good teacher, RIP

Yes he was a great teacher! Was also shocked a few years back that Mr Aidan Lawless who also thought me science and maths died in a car crash a few years back a tough but fair teacher who got me to achieve great results in both subjects sadly killed a car crash by some drunk scumbag! RIP to the both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

He tought me english back in the 70's. Origally from Fermoy, met his brother down there once, also a likeable fellow.

I think tony may have done a bit of boxing onetime.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Was it them that had the four bin trucks burnt out the other night in Clonmel?

Was indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Yes he was a great teacher! Was also shocked a few years back that Mr Anthony Lawless who also thought me science and maths died in a car crash a few years back a tough but fair teacher who got me to achieve great results in both subjects sadly killed a car crash by some drunk scumbag! RIP to the both of them.

..and the scumbag only got a 3 year prison sentence

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1028/137405-lawlessa/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Monisey

I must be living under a rock, just rang Supper to book a table, only to be told they are closed? When did that happen? Thought they were going ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

FordDriver wrote: »
    Does anyone know why walshe waste went out of business. it says so on clonmelonline

They sold out to Molloy Waste.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

dieselbug wrote: »
    He tought me english back in the 70's. Origally from Fermoy, met his brother down there once, also a likeable fellow.

I think tony may have done a bit of boxing onetime.

RIP

Tony taught me for two years. Off all the teachers I've ever had, he was by far the best. I always remember him telling me how he knew one of my idols Rory Gallagher, an interesting man and always had time for anyone that would listen. I'm pissed off that I'll miss his funeral, I hope and expect he will get a massive send off.

RIP Momma, tell Rory I said hello..

Tony was one of the good guys..May he rest in peace.

Monisey wrote: »
    I must be living under a rock, just rang Supper to book a table, only to be told they are closed? When did that happen? Thought they were going ok?
    :) It's been closed for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Tony taught me for two years. Off all the teachers I've ever had, he was by far the best. I always remember him telling me how he knew one of my idols Rory Gallagher, an interesting man and always had time for anyone that would listen. I'm pissed off that I'll miss his funeral, I hope and expect he will get a massive send off.

RIP Momma, tell Rory I said hello..

Yes you're spot on. A big Rory Gallagher fan. Lots of Rory Gallagher fans in Fermoy and yes a good teacher and very fair and straight. One of the good ones.

Vizzy wrote: »
    The outer relief road,if it ever happens, will be much further out (somewhere near the Moyle Rovers pitch out the Fethard Road)

Sean Sherlock T.D. Labour had a contribution in the Irish Times last week, making a case for the upgrade of the N20 to a motorway. In my view a M24 motorway should be a higher priority!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Xenophile wrote: »
    Sean Sherlock T.D. Labour had a contribution in the Irish Times last week, making a case for the upgrade of the N20 to a motorway. In my view a M24 motorway should be a higher priority!

There was a suggestion of doing both in one go by going Limerick to Mitchelstown and linking up with the M8 there and then going Cahir to Waterford. But that got knocked on the head when the local politicians promised every town and village in North Cork and South Tipp a motorway passing close by them. The land was purchased for the M20 so that'll be first. The N24 is lethal but was too far down the list for replacement when the bubble burst. Now the widening of the M50 (again) the upgrade of the N7 (again) the Luas extension the DART extension, the Dublin Children's hospital and the M20 are all ahead of it on the infrastructure priority list and are likely to take 10-15 years to complete so the N24 won't be upgraded in the next 20+ years if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

It's interesting to note that as far as I can see from the data, the N24 (as measured by a traffic census device near Barne) has higher daily volumes than the M9 Waterford Dublin motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

cml387 wrote: »
    It's interesting to note that as far as I can see from the data, the N24 (as measured by a traffic census device near Barne) has higher daily volumes than the M9 Waterford Dublin motorway.

Well that wouldn't be surprising though to be accurate I think you would need to add the traffic volume for the M9 and the old N9 together and then compare them with the N24.

I travel every day on the M9 and sometimes, particularly late at night, I wonder if the road is closed for some reason as it's so quiet.

Realistically how much traffic on the N24 is going from Waterford to Limerick. Most will just be doing short journeys and like when the M9 was upgraded they will continue to use the old road.

I agree with Touts earlier; this road has fallen way down the list of priorities.

touts wrote: »
    There was a suggestion of doing both in one go by going Limerick to Mitchelstown and linking up with the M8 there and then going Cahir to Waterford. But that got knocked on the head when the local politicians promised every town and village in North Cork and South Tipp a motorway passing close by them. The land was purchased for the M20 so that'll be first. The N24 is lethal but was too far down the list for replacement when the bubble burst. Now the widening of the M50 (again) the upgrade of the N7 (again) the Luas extension the DART extension, the Dublin Children's hospital and the M20 are all ahead of it on the infrastructure priority list and are likely to take 10-15 years to complete so the N24 won't be upgraded in the next 20+ years if at all.

In the next General Election Alan Kelly T.D. Minister for the Environment will be seeking votes all the way from the far side of Limerick Junction i.e Monard to Carrick on Suir the route of the N24.

This so called Atlantic Corridor of bringing vehicles all the way down to Mallow en route to Waterford makes no sense. There would be considerable extra distance involved and HGVs would not use it especially if the road was tolled. And into the future if there was ever an oil crisis we would look pretty stupid. As it is I don't think transport companies would be interested in paying the extra fuel costs for the longer route!

Alan Kelly should be lobbied on this matter he now has a clinic and an office in Parnell Street Clonmel opposite Clintons.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Realistically how much traffic on the N24 is going from Waterford to Limerick. Most will just be doing short journeys and like when the M9 was upgraded they will continue to use the old road.

Many motorists from this area are using the M9 en route to Dublin, you can access the southern entry by taking any of at least three slip roads to Danesfort from Cuffesgrange back.

At present the N24 is used by transport companies all the way down from Sligo to ship goods through Waterford port and also using Roll on Roll Off facilities at Rosslare for the UK and Continental Europe.

Crunch and the 2-4-6-8-10 shops down in the Showgrounds closing down soon,what the hell is NAMA doing since they took over that place?.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bobster453

Crunch and the 2-4-6-8-10 shops down in the Showgrounds closing down soon,what the hell is NAMA doing since they took over that place?.

Same as they did in the Poppyfields before it was sold. They are only interested in getting money in and don't even contemplate any requests for reductions thus leaving under pressure retailers with little option if the business isn't there but to close.
    Heard lately that Marks and Sparks are going the same way but that is possibly just the rumour mill doing the rounds.

• Advertisement

bobster453 wrote: »
    Heard lately that Marks and Sparks are going the same way but that is possibly just the rumour mill doing the rounds.

Don't feed the rumor mill, Marks and Spencer are trading very well in Clonmel!

Advertisement