Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

There was a definite flash!
    I thought it was 100 the whole way along alright but thought maybe it was lower there because of the businesses.
    Thanks guys. Will be doing same route tomorrow so will keep eyes peeled for different limit signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

probably just a light reflection - id say ur safe.

there are new speed limits in place from the 26th of this month around Carrick -

- firstly just past Dove Hill going under the railway bridge you will need to slow to 60kmph - often a speedvan is in this area
    - then the 60 zone in Carrick itself will be extended past Miloko to where the Football pitch was on the riverside a few years ago - a fairly lengthy extension

so take it handy out there folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Arent there limits on where these vans are allowed to operate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Temp speed limit of 60kph will extend from just past Miloko to just before Dove Hill to facilitate road works, i.e. the widening of the road to insert a right turn lane into the centre of the road at the top of the hill coming from Miloko. It will be in place for the duration of the works. Expect delays once it gets underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

pooch90 wrote: »
    There was a definite flash!
    I thought it was 100 the whole way along alright but thought maybe it was lower there because of the businesses.
    Thanks guys. Will be doing same route tomorrow so will keep eyes peeled for different limit signs.

From what Ive heard, the camera records all the passing cars and sorts out the speeders afterwards, and despite what you might here the flashes can be seen by some people at night. That stretch is 100kmph so if you were doing 80 you havent anything to be worried about.

• Advertisement

btb wrote: »
    Temp speed limit of 60kph will extend from just past Miloko to just before Dove Hill to facilitate road works, i.e. the widening of the road to insert a right turn lane into the centre of the road at the top of the hill coming from Miloko. It will be in place for the duration of the works. Expect delays once it gets underway.

they have new permanent signs in place on the roadside - covered at the moment - looks to me like it will be a long term thing rather than just to facilitate roadworks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Loughc wrote: »
    I was guaranteed by alot of people in Clonmel that O'Keefees was closing right after Christmas, as the banks had siezed it. The news of The Darkness playing there in March seems to have dismissed that rumour for now....
    That rumour was some load of tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

tippspur wrote: »

Every year the same rumours go around without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

O'Keeffes closing.....well thats just bull****. Place its making a mint. Does anyone know the capicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

O'Keeffes closing.....well thats just bull****. Place its making a mint. Does anyone know the capicity?

As many as they can squeeze in

• Advertisement

They'd never close until after Coursing Week anyway!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I don't believe they are making a mint tho. Due to the size of the place especially the smoking area lots of people are sneaking in naggins and not paying for alcohol drinks in there. That's the reason they started charging a fiver on the door on the weekends.

Or so the story goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I don't believe they are making a mint tho. Due to the size of the place especially the smoking area lots of people are sneaking in naggins and not paying for alcohol drinks in there. That's the reason they started charging a fiver on the door on the weekends.

Or so the story goes....
    That's what I heard too,they could find up to 50 empty naggin bottles in the clean up next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭solerina

Or so the story goes....

That's what I heard too...that apparently they were barely scraping by due to so many people arriving already tanked up and buying one drink or none and sneaking in naggins.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Why don't they reduce the price of drink and then people might be able to afford it, and not bring drink in, it's only a cattle mart anyway, it's a pity there wasn't some competition to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭klose

snipey wrote: »
    Why don't they reduce the price of drink and then people might be able to afford it, and not bring drink in, it's only a cattle mart anyway, it's a pity there wasn't some competition to them.

Pints are foul in there, might get an ok one in the first bar but the second and third bar taps are filty I'd imagine given the taste off the pints which is why I would be one of the people who go in and don't but a drink, rarely in there since they started charging however. Do enjoy bakers a lot these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭solerina

snipey wrote: »

I doubt that would help...people don't need/want much more drink by the time they get in anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

solerina wrote: »
    I doubt that would help...people don't need/want much more drink by the time they get in anyway

This is the problem in most nightclubs. I would rarely have more than 2 drinks in O'Keeffes as I generally don't get in until 12.45am at the earliest.

In most towns of Clonmel's size there are two nightclubs/late bars and they usually have an entry fee of €10 which makes up the shortfall of people not drinking plus they make money off cloakrooms which O'Keeffes don't have.

Clonmel is a terrible town for supporting bands/comedy/theatre; it must be impossible for O'Keeffes to put stuff like that on and run a profit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Meathlass wrote: »
    In most towns of Clonmel's size there are two nightclubs/late bars and they usually have an entry fee of €10 which makes up the shortfall of people not drinking plus they make money off cloakrooms which O'Keeffes don't have.

O'Keeffes has a cloak room in the third bar.

O'Keeffes has a cloak room in the third bar.

I just remembered that when I saw your post! Do they charge for it?

Shows you how often I venture that far into O'Keeffes

• Advertisement

Meathlass wrote: »
    I just remembered that when I saw your post! Do they charge for it?

Shows you how often I venture that far into O'Keeffes

€2 per item.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The cloak room always seems to be closed now, even on Saturdays. You can still walk through there but there's nobody hanging up jackets, so nowhere to put them now really.

That's what I heard too,they could find up to 50 empty naggin bottles in the clean up next morning.

This seems to be a widespread trend these days - i spoke to Brian Morris of Eldons over Xmas and he said the same thing, naggins on the table - the more cheeky of them actually buy the naggin in Eldon's off license before entering the pub.

You would want some neck to do that in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

This seems to be a widespread trend these days - i spoke to Brian Morris of Eldons over Xmas and he said the same thing, naggins on the table - the more cheeky of them actually buy the naggin in Eldon's off license before entering the pub.

At least they were making some money off them.

Pub prices in Clonmel are very high in my opinion Eldons and Chawkes being the most expensive hence why I would rarely drink in either of them.

I do also realise that insurance rates etc in Clonmel are also very high but there needs to be a middle ground there somewhere.

F34 wrote: »
    Pub prices in Clonmel are very high in my opinion Eldons and Chawkes being the most expensive hence why I would rarely drink in either of them.

I do also realise that insurance rates etc in Clonmel are also very high but there needs to be a middle ground there somewhere.

I don't see pub prices being any higher in Clonmel than any other comparable town. The issue of empty pubs is a wider societal one.

I'm heading out on Thursday night and I expect Phil's and Bakers to be moderately busy. I'd imagine most other pubs would be very, very quiet. Even then we won't go out until 10-10.30pm I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭FordDriver

not as big a neck as what publicans charge for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

the pubs should be busy for the coursing over the weekend. Despite Chawkes being the most expensive pub in Clonmel it still seems to be busy most of the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭FordDriver

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    the pubs should be busy for the coursing over the weekend. Despite Chawkes being the most expensive pub in Clonmel it still seems to be busy most of the time...
    wonder will they give any free drink to regulars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

they have new permanent signs in place on the roadside - covered at the moment - looks to me like it will be a long term thing rather than just to facilitate roadworks

Works due to start next week and last for 3 months according to my contacts.
    Should be delays at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Moanna

Anyone here work in Abbott. Iv been offered an office job but have heard very bad reports about the place.

Advertisement