Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Was there myself for a friend's birthday a month ago. Lovely, hearty food and the staff are wonderful. I hope it goes well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 BeachView

I was in aldi in clonmel recently and see there is a sign saying anyone there more than 90 mins will be clamped and the strange part you cannot return within 8 hours. How can they police that and is it not going to affect their business? You forget something and cannot go back for 8 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

BeachView wrote: »
    I was in aldi in clonmel recently and see there is a sign saying anyone there more than 90 mins will be clamped and the strange part you cannot return within 8 hours. How can they police that and is it not going to affect their business? You forget something and cannot go back for 8 hours

I presume it's to stop people taking the piss and parking there while they are out at work all day. THe clampers where I work can scan the car registrations to see if they match a database; presumably Aldi do something similar where it would show if a car had been parked there every day that week for several hours at a time.

Meathlass wrote: »
    I presume it's to stop people taking the piss and parking there while they are out at work all day. THe clampers where I work can scan the car registrations to see if they match a database; presumably Aldi do something similar where it would show if a car had been parked there every day that week for several hours at a time.
    where do you get the numbers on the database? it does not say that on the sign only no return with 8 hours. surely will put people off

where do you get the numbers on the database?

Where I work all staff must register their car registration number. This info is then given to the clampers so nobody can park here without being a staff member. Had to be done - half the town (not Clonmel) were using it as a free carpark during the week.

• Advertisement

where do you get the numbers on the database? it does not say that on the sign only no return with 8 hours. surely will put people off

It might put off the few people who are using it as free parking for hours at a time but I doubt anyone nipping in to do 30 mins shopping in the morning and then again in the afternoon would be clamped.

A lot of peole use Aldi to park when they are visting the hospital, community clinic and GAA matches.

It might put off the few people who are using it as free parking for hours at a time but I doubt anyone nipping in to do 30 mins shopping in the morning and then again in the afternoon would be clamped.

A lot of peole use Aldi to park when they are visting the hospital, community clinic and GAA matches.

but it says 8 hours no mention of nipping in in morning and in afternoon. I would not as i would not give any clamper the opportunity

People were probably abusing it but it is a bit unfair on genuine customers. who can remember exactly the time they were at aldi. i would just go somewhere else rather than risk clamping for something forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I would say it is to stop people parking there for GAA matches. It can be impossible to get parking there on a Sunday when there is a match on and Sunday is one of their busy shopping days. I'd say they have looked at the stats and realised their takings were down significantly when matches were on.

but it says 8 hours no mention of nipping in in morning and in afternoon. I would not as i would not give any clamper the opportunity

People were probably abusing it but it is a bit unfair on genuine customers. who can remember exactly the time they were at aldi. i would just go somewhere else rather than risk clamping for something forgotten

I'd be very surprised if a genuine customer like yourself would be clamped. The signs are put up to scare people. Why don't you have a chat with the manager the next time you're in there and see how they're going to operate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

its grand - GAA matches are only 70 mins ;-)

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if a genuine customer like yourself would be clamped. The signs are put up to scare people. Why don't you have a chat with the manager the next time you're in there and see how they're going to operate it.
    i doubt if a chat with manager would have any legal basis in fighting a clamp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I'd agree with Meathlass on this,it's probably just a scare tactic more than anything else,can you imagine if word got around that shoppers were getting their cars clamped in Aldi,people would desert the place like the plague.

tippspur wrote: »
    I'd agree with Meathlass on this,it's probably just a scare tactic more than anything else,can you imagine if word got around that shoppers were getting their cars clamped in Aldi,people would desert the place like the plague.
    someone else can test if it is a scare tactic. it is a very bad way for aldi to put it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

its grand - GAA matches are only 70 mins ;-)

Keep in mind that businesses have to pay for car parking spaces before they get planning permission and rates on an ongoing basis and commercial rates which in Clonmel are the highest in the county.

Personally if I was a manager in Aldi I would have someone take the reg numbers at a match start time and go out after 60 minutes and slap a clamp on any car there after 60 minutes. The owner would have a job fighting his or her case. Go on try it, you will get good life experience taking on a multinational.

This would manners on those people who want every facility but are not prepared to pay for anything. On any Sunday or any evening there is plenty of parking within less than a ten minute walk from the Sportsfield.

Many years ago Irishtown traders had a real problem with renters especially teachers who walked off to their schools leaving the car outside the traders premises all day long.This problem was only solved by bringing pay parking into the street.

P.S. It would nice to see a few games with extra time, it could only add to the excitement.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

you'll never be a manager of Aldi with that outlook, alot of those people that go to the Sunday GAA games shop in Aldi on their way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

snipey wrote: »
    you'll never be a manager of Aldi with that outlook, alot of those people that go to the Sunday GAA games shop in Aldi on their way home.

Well definitely wont make it as pr manager anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Took the family to Pearls restaurant on Gladestone street tonight. Had an absolutely fabulous meal there, Peter is back in the Kitchen and the food is exactly as it was back in the day before what ever happened in the Emerald gardens. Great food, great service, wish them all the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ami1989

What Clonmel needs is more retail and more parking.

More and more shops are closing because people aren't supporting them.

The amount of times people have gone on about getting more in and then turn around and say no is insane. Do you not realise that more retail equals more jobs?

I don't see any of these smaller places offer jobs the way bigger retail does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

The town needs a multi-storey. People avoid the town centre because of the lack of parking.
    We have as many of the larger stores as Waterford or Kilkenny so we can compete with them.
    Saturdays are chaos on the main street though. (by the way double parking on the main streets should be a crime punishable by death). Having the main traffic circulation route through the towns main car park doesn't help either
    If the shoppers could be catered for then it would be a huge boost in footfall for the smaller shops.
    It's just a pity that the plans to build one where the Clonmel Arms is never went ahead.

Exactly but the local council clearly doesn't want to add more jobs to the area. There was meant to be a multi storey car park in town but the council screwed him around and in the end he lost out on money.

I was in town just on Saturday and couldn't get a parking space in the old tesco car park. The amount of people that left was a disgrace. It would help if there was more space for people to park and would allow more people to spend their money in their own local stores.

• Advertisement

Also does anyone know what's happening with the old chadwicks? It seemed like they were going to do something with it and now it's been left there again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

A couple of houses burgled in Clonmel last night, including my parents house. We had only come back from burying my aunt too. Bastards. Be vigilant!

Beef wrote: »
    A couple of houses burgled in Clonmel last night, including my parents house. We had only come back from burying my aunt too. Bastards. Be vigilant!

Thats the sad reality of modern life. These scumbags watch for funerals and sink to the lowest of low by burgling the bereaved. Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

ami1989 wrote: »
    Also does anyone know what's happening with the old chadwicks? It seemed like they were going to do something with it and now it's been left there again

I do know for a fact that it was purchased by Drohans bakery and they wanted to relocate from ard gaoithe business park to here and also open up a retail shop to front but once again the planning has become a problem so just have to wait and see the outcome.

I do agree with all posters that more or better parking is needed in town centre but also people cant just blame retailers outside of centre for lack of business just look at showgrounds and poppyfields they also have shops closing down due to high over heads, what people are forgetting is that every business in clonmel or on the outskirts are paying very high rates, rates which they were paying in the celtic tiger years and these never came down even though their business has declined, rates should be based on turnover a very fair system.
    It actually hurts me to see the town hall closed and the money they are spending on council buildings by post office is this where all the rates are being spent, complete over haul with all new windows seems a shocking waste of money in the present climate that's just my opinon look forward to all of yours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Royco wrote: »
    I do know for a fact that it was purchased by Drohans bakery and they wanted to relocate from ard gaoithe business park to here and also open up a retail shop to front but once again the planning has become a problem so just have to wait and see the outcome.

I do agree with all posters that more or better parking is needed in town centre but also people cant just blame retailers outside of centre for lack of business just look at showgrounds and poppyfields they also have shops closing down due to high over heads, what people are forgetting is that every business in clonmel or on the outskirts are paying very high rates, rates which they were paying in the celtic tiger years and these never came down even though their business has declined, rates should be based on turnover a very fair system.
    It actually hurts me to see the town hall closed and the money they are spending on council buildings by post office is this where all the rates are being spent, complete over haul with all new windows seems a shocking waste of money in the present climate that's just my opinon look forward to all of yours now.

Nail on the head there. Unfortunately fresh thinking with regards to a sustainable rates structure does not seem to be part of the plan with the amalgamation of the two councils.

With the current works going on on Parnell street and council offices one would really have to question the logic behind it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

A couple of houses burgled in Clonmel last night, including my parents house. We had only come back from burying my aunt too. Bastards. Be vigilant

where in town was that

• Registered Users Posts: 25 samdavis

At least one house burgled in Barron Park, police called in today to see if we'd noticed anything strange yesterday, very attentive neighbours in the area, but a lot of families went out for Mother's Day....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Hi,

Has anyone bought from PA Moore Car Sales in Clonmel, Tipperary?

http://www.pamoorecarsales.com/

If so, any issues?

Looking at picking up a car...purely as a runaround car i.e. drive to train station, picking the kids up etc etc.

I'm based near Rathdowney, Laois so no bother to drop down.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

He takes cars from garages who want to shift older stock (like many non-franchised second hand car sales guys do.)
    I dealt with him years ago when he sold Fiats.
    Go in with your eyes wide open and if you're not that car savvy bring someone in the know. Research the car's history first(honest John is a good site).
    AFAIK he operates out of a garage on the Waterford road near Dunnes stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

cml387 wrote: »
    He takes cars from garages who want to shift older stock (like many non-franchised second hand car sales guys do.)
    I dealt with him years ago when he sold Fiats.
    Go in with your eyes wide open and if you're not that car savvy bring someone in the know. Research the car's history first(honest John is a good site).
    AFAIK he operates out of a garage on the Waterford road near Dunnes stores.

Cheers mate!

Advertisement