Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon TV Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Genghis

I was reading somewhere via twitter that the cycle course is in fact 42km long. I would have expected a certain amount of pedantry in designing the 'gold standard' course, i.e. making sure it was exactly 1,500m / 40km / 10km.

I would also say that the course designers were spared some criticism by the brilliant Alistair Brownlee and the other three break-aways. If the mens race played out like the ladies, i.e. a complete regroup on the bike course to race out 10km, I think we would be hearing a lot less about how great the course is.

I am personally disappointed that the route amounts to a 10km run race for gold. At the Olympics I doubt there will be any break-away as I can't see a break being risked by anyone / tolerated by anyone else when the stakes are so high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Good interview with Chris McCormack on London.

He pretty much lambasts the field for letting the Brownlees dominate and say they're too scared to take it to them on the bike.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2011/08/features/chris-mccormack-breaks-down-the-itu-wcs-london-race_36389

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

yeah its a good read. I was gutted for McCormack, we had hoped he'd go well as in Hamburg and looked forward to seeing him but unfortunately it wasn't to be. Very sad sight seeing his bike one of only 2 left with everyone else gone. He looked devastated too coming through transition.

The Brownlees are something else though. Its hard to comprehend the pace they are doing, i can manage it for a matter of seconds but to hold that for 30mins is amazing, nevermind the fact that 24 ran sub 31 and 48 sub 32!!!

Spectator wise it wasnt one of the best to watch. The womens was very tame, the crowd was brutal, loads of empty seats even in the grandstand. The MCs didnt really get anyone going either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Bambaata wrote: »
    The Brownlees are something else though. Its hard to comprehend the pace they are doing, i can manage it for a matter of seconds but to hold that for 30mins is amazing, nevermind the fact that 24 ran sub 31 and 48 sub 32!!!

I have been amazed at the pace these chaps do the 10km run in. It is fairly regular that these guys run sub 30 for the run. And there were 5 sub 30's last Sunday.
    The course had 4 x 180 degree turns, uneven surface together with the heavy rain and wet conditions. But there were were 5 sub 30's last Sunday:rolleyes:.

That would have been good enough for 2nd, 4th 5th, 6th and 7th if they had been running in the 10,000m championship in Santry that same day !!

Which leads me was the course short? IMO I could never see Brukhankov get close to a 30:15 on the track even without the swim and bike before hand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Abhainn wrote: »
    Which leads me was the course short? IMO I could never see Brukhankov get close to a 30:15 on the track even without the swim and bike before hand

I love Brukhankov - reminds me of Jaws from James Bond movies. I have it on Sky + and I think it was last year, but I remember Gomez and Brownlee turning it on towards the last k or two and being surprised that the only one that stayed anywhere near was Brukhankov

He has a 29.58 run from London last year, was it a different course last year?

I loved that interview with Macca, I can't stand the Aussies when it comes to sport - totally arrogant - but they have no issues with stating their opinions which makes for great copy.

I like McIllroy for it in golf, although I think the reaction to some of his comments will make him more circumspect eventually which is a pity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yeah nice to see one of them actually show the pain on their face as they run to a sub30 min off the bike 10k :rolleyes: What I find amazing is just how similar the swim and run splits are for all of these athletes. Its really just tiny margins at the top. Gomez looked like he was nowhere after JB left him but still 'only' finished 11 secs or so behind him. Interesting that JB did the blocking job and then posted a faster run than his older bro'. I wonder who wll get first dibs on team orders in London next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Tomorrow at 12:00 on Eurosport, World Team Championship in Lausanne, Switzerland. Another chance to watch the Brownlees in action. Jonathan Brownlee ran an incredible 14mins 24 sec 5km in the Sprint Event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Well worth a watch these.
    I caught them online over the weekend. The sprint races are nice and short, and even if it's just a big bunch on the cycle, it's less than 30 minutes of that. That said the cycle course wasn't the worst- it shows up the flat London course that's for sure.

The team tri is interesting, much easier for gaps to open with all the transitioning. Even some nondrafting riding going on! Would be great to see it in the Olympics in 2016.

Interesting team event but was ruined by the UK commentary. 'Just look at Brownlee, he's not even breaking a sweat, it's just so easy for him, he's out on a training run, this will be an easy victory etc etc.'

At one stage the commentator was giving the split and when he realised that the gap had closed, he gave the wrong split time.

It's going to be a looooooong Olympics ;)

I wasn't impressed with Alistairs sour grapes! Races were good tough. Some spot too. Herself and I went to London this year and had hoped to go to Hamburg and Madrid but times didn't suit. We hadn't even looked into Lausanne but after seeing the aerial pics from the helicopter we'll be adding it to next years list! Looks like an amazing place. Its a pity next years race most likely wont have the quality of field this years did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Watched it last night, that sprint relay race is something else. A great spectator sport, would love to watch one live some day. An awful pity that it hasn't been added to the Olympics yet.
    It would be hard to bet against the Brownlees for a gold & silver next year, they just seem to be getting stronger & stronger. A bit of sour grapes from Alistair alright, poor chap is not used to finishing way back in 3rd. :rolleyes:

I would have to agree with you, the brownlees are too strong in the swim and they will be at the front of the bike pack, so I doubt they will let any breaks go. Will come down to them in the run with maybe Gomez the only one capable of giving them a run for the money.

I think the womens could be a great race, whilst Jenkins and Stimpson will be selected I reckon they might take Lucy Hall as well to try and give Helen a lead out of the water. If a couple of the other uber swimmers go with them - probably the Yanks if Bennett or Peirsel get in, they might get enough company to make it stick, Findlay will be hard to beat on her early season form if is she is with the leaders on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

So who will win in Beijing and who will take the ITU World title? Me thinks Alister but me hopes Gomez! What about Jenkins can she seal it?

Is BBC showing this? Do you have to have the red button?

BTW London has been confirmed for the World Grand Final 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Somebody may have already posted this but I downloaded the IPhone App for channel 4 (4OD) and you can watch a number of past episodes of Triathlon coverage by the channel. You might also be able to watch them on your PC by streaming the 4OD channel but i'm not sure if thats country blocked!:pac:

Somebody may have already posted this but I downloaded the IPhone App for channel 4 (4OD) and you can watch a number of past episodes of Triathlon coverage by the channel. You might also be able to watch them on your PC by streaming the 4OD channel but i'm not sure if thats country blocked!:pac:

Actually the 4oD does work on PC or Mac even in Ireland. I know ITU website streams the races live but you must pay for the season pass, which I have but I prefer watching on TV given the choice.

Have the triathlonlive subscription myself so im sorted :p

And what are you doing up past 1am ElD :D And a race tomorrow tut tut.....

Bambaata wrote: »
    Have the triathlonlive subscription myself so im sorted :p

And what are you doing up past 1am ElD :D And a race tomorrow tut tut.....

I'm not joking when I say this - writting up a race report late at night is like doing the race all over again! I was tired but I could feel the adrenalin in my veins, hence I could not sleep. Wrecked now :(

Galway 70.3 Chan 4 7:20am Sunday morning.

ITU Final in Beijing is on today on eurosport I think around 5 or 6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

Its on bbc1 at 3pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

well 70.3 irish coverage was an absolute sh1t. less than 10 min of the pro action. it might as well have been the kieth duffy show. what a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Without the other 2000 non pro competitors there wouldn't be any of these events.

Ironman Wales is up.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/triathlon/4od

Great coverage of the men's race

Guys can anyone find a free live stream for IM Kona?

Guys can anyone find a free live stream for IM Kona?
    Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

nomadic wrote: »

Nothing showing for me except the Universal Sports logo:confused: Am i missing something?

Nothing showing for me except the Universal Sports logo:confused: Am i missing something?

Same with me but I *think* the coverage doesn't start till 5pm Irish time.

"Watch the 2011 Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawaii, including every finish up until the cutoff time, LIVE on Oct. 8 beginning at 12 p.m. ET."

I need this to work to get me through X Factor

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Same with me but I *think* the coverage doesn't start till 5pm Irish time.

"Watch the 2011 Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawaii, including every finish up until the cutoff time, LIVE on Oct. 8 beginning at 12 p.m. ET."

I need this to work to get me through X Factor

Cheers have it up now

• Advertisement

Potts is some savage swimmer:eek: Would love to do Kona one day!!

Advertisement