Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon TV Watch

Options
  • 16-04-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

In addition to the regular C4 slot at silly o clock on tuesdays, triathlon is back on Eurosport as well, last weeks ITU 1st round in Sydney is on at 12 tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

catweazle wrote: »
    In addition to the regular C4 slot at silly o clock on tuesdays, triathlon is back on Eurosport as well, last weeks ITU 1st round in Sydney is on at 12 tomorrow

Is it just me, or is ITU tri one of the more boring things to watch on TV?

With draft-legal races, there is little incentive to make a solo break on the bike, so it comes down to the last km of the run every time.

Might as well make it a 51.5km run:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Izoard wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is ITU tri one of the more boring things to watch on TV?

With draft-legal races, there is little incentive to make a solo break on the bike, so it comes down to the last km of the run every time.

Might as well make it a 51.5km run:rolleyes:

Have to agree a little with above. Since i've only recently started watching it, i get some enjoyment out of seeing the ITU series. However, due to the drafting, it basically comes down to the best 10k runner. If you look at the results for both men & women in sydney last week, the finishing positions of the competitors seemed to align closely with the 10k times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Yes although I enjoy the ladies more as there are loads more capable of winning one of these races than the men. Generally if Snowsill is coming off the bike within a minute or two of the leaders she has it in the bag as shes a 32 minute runner

Generally it is take your pick of Alistair or Javier in the mens if they are both competing.

I did hear they are trying to address the bike though with some tougher courses to give competitors the chance to have a go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

The Men's race in Sydney last week (opening round of ITU World Series) was actually an interesting one to watch. Won't spoil it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sydney was deadly. Was up all night watching it live and really enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Good result for Aileen Morrison in Ishigaki.

http://www.triathlon.org/multimedia/video/2011_ishigaki_elite_women/

Check out the crash at 55s- crazy stuff!

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Good result for Aileen Morrison in Ishigaki.

http://www.triathlon.org/multimedia/video/2011_ishigaki_elite_women/

Check out the crash at 55s- crazy stuff!

Crashes seem to be so common in ITU races. A few lads bounced off the ground in the Budapest Grand Final last September too. Great performance by Aileen though. She would need to get that run down to the 33 region to be that close to the big guns but she is progressing well.

Gomez was a class apart in Sydney

Anyone see the Euro Duathlon Elites in Limerick yesterday? Unreal! 30 min for 10k then hammering out 55 mins 40k bike then the winner goes and does a sub 15 5k off the bike :eek: So a 10k run, 40k bike and 5k run in 1hr40 :eek: The course was accurate too. Robbie Wade was 8th, where did he come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

Crashes seem to be so common in ITU races.

aahhhh.......triathletes and their bike handling skills..............

4294-Male-Chef-Stirring-Pot-Of-Stew-Poster-Art-Print.jpg

You're not far wrong griffin100. That Lang crash in Japan over the weekend was ridiculous! That said the courses can be ropey. Sydney got rain at the worst possible time and the route in Budapest had some seriously sketchy parts with carpet, cables etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mucky13

if anyone is really interested with the ITU events,its only 20euro for a season ticket on triathlon.tv with an account,well worth it with magazines and ITU world cup races too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Robbie Wade was 8th, where did he come from?

His blog is here. He has had a few race reports on the Irish Triathlon site too

mucky13 wrote: »
    if anyone is really interested with the ITU events,its only 20euro for a season ticket on triathlon.tv with an account,well worth it with magazines and ITU world cup races too

yeah im also subsctribed but now we're actually looking at heading over the London race and possibly Hamburg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Aussie Ironman on Sky Sports 3 tonight at 9. Thank god for sky+ with the Barca/Real match on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Aussie Ironman on Sky Sports 3 tonight at 9. Thank god for sky+ with the Barca/Real match on.

Had to invest in SS, as we have a communion on Sat 21st and none of the in-laws would show up if I didn't have the Leinster game!

Was looking forward to the "Aussie Ironman" - sprint races with surf boards???

Don't tell the WTC!:)

Izoard wrote: »
    Was looking forward to the "Aussie Ironman" - sprint races with surf boards???

Don't tell the WTC!:)

Yeah I recorded this and watched last night expecting something else. At first I though what?! 20 beefy lads swimming and running around a beach for 2 hours? Ironman? 20km only? I have to say though I got sucked in. Ok its still only 2 hours but those guys are pretty tough. sub 4min km pace on sand, swimming against the breakers without goggles and I know those skiis need incredible upper body endurance. And the skill to understand the water and catch the crest etc...

Still no Ironman though. And the aussie commentator got on my nerves after half an hour...

Yeah not what i was expecting either even the programme description had it listed as a full Ironman, in saying that i still watched it.
    The guy that won it looked as if he was out on a training session.

And the aussie commentator got on my nerves after half an hour...

Yeah the phrase "Man that guy is a freak" every 5 minutes was wearing thin:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I had to turn off felt a bit ill seeing all them mankini's

Eurosport seem to be showing coverage of the uk half IM at 5.30, judging by the listing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Eurosport seem to be showing coverage of the uk half IM at 5.30, judging by the listing.

Enjoyed that.
    Cycle course looked really tough and is the playing of God save the queen the norm before tri events in the UK?

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Enjoyed that.
    Cycle course looked really tough and is the playing of God save the queen the norm before tri events in the UK?

Not sure I read the stats right but over 3000mtrs of climbing with 52hills in 90km is one crazy tough course. Not sure on god save the queen before the events will find out soon enough when I line up for the full:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

I think the national anthem is a pre IM branded race thing - although I stand to be corrected on that. I'm pretty sure they played it last year at IMUK. They certainly didn't play it when I did the London tri.

You Can subscribe and watch it live or it will be repeated on Eurosport over the next 2 weeks. Just scroll forward on your digital plus guide, find it and record it :)

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here

WCS_INT_LOG_SE_RGB.jpg
    pre-madrid-WCS-postcard.jpg
    Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship Series Partners & Sponsors:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

For those of you interested in triathlon, there is the World Series Triathlon Men's Race live from Madrid on the BBC Red button tomorrow morning from 9am.

I've never watched triathlon's myself but I will probably watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Anyone know if Macca is in this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Scratch that I see he's doing Challenge Cairns Ironman must still be a contractually obliged one.

I don’t understand how Macca is going to get a start at any 2011 World Series race. I had thought it was based on ranking points which people need to pick up at World Cup races etc. Since he hasn’t done any how is he expecting to get a start at the races which really matter for the Olys spots? I'd imagine we'll see a roll back fairly soon. Maybe he’ll try a few races and realise he isn’t cut out for the speed involved anymore. He did afterall say he got injured after his first all out interval session earlier in the year when he was gauging his speed. Doesn’t seem like he'll be able to do much of that work which he'd need for these races

Looking forward to Madrid, pity theres no Irish involvement. Heading over to see the London race in August, fingers crossed the Irish are there!

it would be great to see the Irish racing the top tier series. Conor Murphy is going well too although his run would have to have improve by another 2 mins or so to make an impact.

Macca would have to accumulate enough points to race the World Series and I would imagine that if his intentions were to aim for London that we would have seen him on the circuit at some level this spring

Jaysus thats some running!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Eurosport 12:45
    Madrid

Advertisement