Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon TV Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

They were all over the 30 minute mark in Madrid, although if Ali B hadn't waited for his brother he would have been under 30 mins. It is scary though just how fast they run after the swim and cycle.

I did say 28-29 flat 10k shape, as in Tim Don's kinda flat 10k pace. Its equally incredible that they run just a minute slower off doing 45kmh for an hour on the bike :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

They were all over the 30 minute mark in Madrid, although if Ali B hadn't waited for his brother he would have been under 30 mins. It is scary though just how fast they run after the swim and cycle.

Even though he stopped and waited he still had the fastest run time on the day too. Unreal speed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Channel 4 to show highlights of the Toshiba Windsor Triathlon
    29th June 2011
    British terrestrial broadcaster Channel 4 will screen highlights of the Toshiba Windsor Triathlon, the third race of the 2011 British Triathlon Super Series on Sunday 3 July at 07:00.

Provisional Broadcast Schedule
    Toshiba Windsor Triathlon 3rd July 2011 7.00am
    GE Canary Wharf Triathlon 17th July 2011 7.30am
    GE Canary Wharf Triathlon 24th July 2011 7.30am
    Virgin Active London Triathlon 14th August 2011 7.00am

Channel 4 is screening six highlight programmes at various points from June through to October, with the experienced sports commentator Rob Walker, presenting each show.

The highlights programmes will follow each race in this year’s Super Series, which included the GE Strathclyde Park Triathlon (22 May), the GE Blenheim Triathlon (4 June) and the Toshiba Windsor Triathlon (12 June). The two remaining races are the GE Canary Wharf Triathlon (30 June) and finally the Virgin Active London Triathlon (30 July).

The GE Canary Wharf Triathlon is the next event on Thursday 30 June. The event is a high octane Super-Sprint eliminator consisting of a 400m swim, 10km bike and 2km run with heats and a grand final, which will guarantee an exhilarating race for the athletes and spectators alike.

Find out more about the event at: www.canarywharftriathlon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nice one - I recorded last nights and much to my disappointment it was last years Windsor Triathlon - although my sorrow was tempered at seeing Vannessa Raw being interviewed again

catweazle wrote: »
    Nice one - I recorded last nights and much to my disappointment it was last years Windsor Triathlon - although my sorrow was tempered at seeing Vannessa Raw being interviewed again

LOL....No pics like on El D's log? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

From the tv to the computer...........nah too techie for me.

She is an artist as well, a very talented girl all round, although she is an awful looking runner, looks awful gangly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

From the Triathlon Ireland Facebook page:
    Word just in: Joyce Wolfe 9'15" in IM Austria for a new Irish record! Bravo!

Good woman. Nice work!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Mens record was broken also, check out the IM rollcall thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship Series,
    Venue: Hyde Park, London. Date: 6-7 August.

Coverage: 6 August: women's race live on the BBC Red Button at 0830BST,

7 August: men's race live on BBC Two at 1200BST and Twitter updates from BBC Sport's Ollie Williams - @bbcsport_ollie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Presume you all know that you can watch past triathlons on 4OD.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/triathlon/4od

Some of the earlier events have been removed. The Ironman 70.3 has three days left, worth watching, the female race was pretty close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Noble on the start list for Sunday as is Aileen Morrison for tomorrow. Looking forward to the weekend viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Flying over tonight to see the London races! Cant wait, heading to the Oakley truck Sunday too to the Q&A with Helen Jenkins, Emma Snowsill, Laura Bennett and Paula Findlay. Anyone heard the latest if Findlay will be racing at all tomorrow? Hope she is!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Flying over tonight to see the London races! Cant wait, heading to the Oakley truck Sunday too to the Q&A with Helen Jenkins, Emma Snowsill, Laura Bennett and Paula Findlay. Anyone heard the latest if Findlay will be racing at all tomorrow? Hope she is!

As far as I can see she is still racing. Hope you enjoy it dude, should be fasinating!

Also read today that London have applied for the ITU Grand Final 2013, could be cool to race on the Olympic course ;)

As far as I can see she is still racing. Hope you enjoy it dude, should be fasinating!

Also read today that London have applied for the ITU Grand Final 2013, could be cool to race on the Olympic course ;)

For a guy that has a race today you;re online very late the night before! :confused:

Enjoy London Bambaata. Should be a cracking 2 days of racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

bump on BBC2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Half tempted to head down for a look but I'll wait for the olympics next year :)

The two presenters are woeful. "some people put their runners on left foot right foot, others right foot left foot."

The womens race wasn't great. Hopefully there's a bit of action on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Just watching this now. Noobie questions, why aren't they using tri-bikes? Very little of them seem to be using tribars as well. And they're allowed draft? Different rules for different distances or what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jeez, nice weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Awful weather.
    Happy the Russian held on to second - really deserved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Brownlee brothers are an incredible force, aren't they? I'm not sure which brother was more impressive: Alistair for his commanding win, or Johnathon for finishing in third after getting dropped by the leading pack of 4/5 on the cycle. Bad luck for Noble, getting tangled during the cycle. He was doing well up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

just back from getting one of the worst soakings ever! rain was crazy. gutted for gavin noble. he was getting plenty of encouragement from the mc though, pity he was calling him adrian or something, like eileen and then catherine (!) morrison yesterday

acurno wrote: »
    Just watching this now. Noobie questions, why aren't they using tri-bikes? Very little of them seem to be using tribars as well. And they're allowed draft? Different rules for different distances or what is it?

This race is part of the ITU World Series - Elite (pro) level. To make the sport more spetator friendly for TV viewers and spectres alike they allow group riding so drafting is allowed.

Because it is group riding they are not allowed TT/Tri bikes for safety reasons (nobody wants to be impaled during a pike up!) They are allowed tri bars but they mustn't extend past the hoods on their handle bars. You'll only see guys riding solo or at the top of a group using them. You wouldn't use them if u were n the pack because you'd have less control and would react slower to anything that happens ahead.

Hope this explains!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

The Brownlee brothers are an incredible force, aren't they? I'm not sure which brother was more impressive: Alistair for his commanding win, or Johnathon for finishing in third after getting dropped by the leading pack of 4/5 on the cycle. Bad luck for Noble, getting tangled during the cycle. He was doing well up to that point.

Indeed, great to watch. Gomez really didn't seem to be enjoying that rain, Jonathan did very well to shake him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Sure does thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I caught the English 70.3 on eurosport last night and must say the course looks pretty rubbish. On the clips they showed of the AG's on the bike it looked impossible to ride up some of the hills as people were walking their bikes up 2/3 abreast blocking the road and on the run in some places it looked like it was difficult to overtake the paths were that narrow.

In the mens race Elgezebal looked vrey strong as he powered past bayliss on the bike and was too strong on the run for him.

I thought there was going to be an Irish winner in the womens as Eimear Mullen took the lead in the run with little more than a mile to go but was out run in the end by Emma Kate Lidbury. Mullen certainly seems to have a unique almost ungainly running style but she if its working for her...

Mullen's running style is bizarre. Looks so awkward.

What do people think of the London course? It didn't look great from a tv point of view, certainly the cycle section. No hills and too short.

The 3 lap run worked out well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭cantswim

nerraw1111 wrote: »

What do people think of the London course? It didn't look great from a tv point of view, certainly the cycle section. No hills and too short.

The 3 lap run worked out well though.

Were there not 4 laps on the run?

bike course is flat (not sure what you mean by too short?) but brownlee showed if you get right guys at front and team tactics in the pack its possible to get a successful break even with a flat course. Was good to see Brukhankov hang on after being brave to go on the break as well.

Yup, there was four.

I thought the cycle laps were too short. It got a bit repetitive with a massive bunch freewheeling around.

Great run by the Russian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

I caught the English 70.3 on eurosport last night and must say the course looks pretty rubbish.

The course is renowned for being tough with something like 56 hills in 90kms. That said the transition seems to be a bit of a disaster. One of the lads with a training log did it last year - Conor I think.

Advertisement