Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I thought he was childish today... "Who's gonna replace me.? .... Maybe Graham Norton.... Maybe Panti Bliss? "

As if to "scare all the conservatives"... Derek used to be an upbeat presenter and used to have a good sense of humour.. but over the years he has quickly evolved in to an irritable curmudgeon, unwilling to indulge the opinions of others, particularly on his own main topic of interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The only negative thing about his departure is up until now you knew where to avoid him , now the annoyance could spring up anywhere on TV or radio with the Latest " nature " programme and take you by surprise .
    Btw , I think this ' nature executive producer' role is a load of old cobblers , designed to preserve dignity .
    I wish him the best of luck and hopefully he'll have a more productive future in the organisation .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

During Joe Duffy's eulogy today he mentioned the fact that Derek left of his own accord, several times. It stank of spin to me.

The show had to go. I'm usually driving between 3-30 and 4-30 and switch randomly through the stations. There was a time when I'd come on an interesting article or two on the show. In the last few years it's been all Eurovision, Jedward, Chrystal Swing, free ads for Louis Walsh's newest projects, Mrs B and Rory etc. Same old drivel over and over. None of the guest presenters bar maybe Shay Byrne could redeem it.

Maybe it's time RTE had a good cabinet shuffle/clearout with the the rest of Radio1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭thesandeman

They are going to have to revamp it anyway. I presume the Friday programme will move away from nature. And of course they will have to change the name.
    I've a feeling it be a fairly light show ala Moncrief hosted by Shay Byrne. I don't see Brenda going away either.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Another one of the Ryan family might be up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Radio_Fan_67

I believe Miriam o'callagan will get this slot and Mooney goes wild will slip nto her hour on sunday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Jaysus, Miriam is even more insincere than Mooney!!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

sligojoek wrote: »
    None of the guest presenters bar maybe Shay Byrne could redeem it.
    Shay Byrne is just more of exactly the same.
    High camp, musicals, Eurovision, squealing with laughter at stuff that has no humour.
    Now here's an idea.......
    What about bringing in the Second Captains from the backwater of RTE2 TV for a daily radio show between 3-4.30 ??
    Eoin, Murph and Ken deserve a proper forum.
    BBC 5 live and Talk Sport UK (especially) host sports programmes all day, so we're not re-inventing the wheel here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I thought he was childish today... "Who's gonna replace me.? .... Maybe Graham Norton.... Maybe Panti Bliss? "

As if to "scare all the conservatives"... Derek used to be an upbeat presenter and used to have a good sense of humour.. but over the years he has quickly evolved in to an irritable curmudgeon, unwilling to indulge the opinions of others, particularly on his own main topic of interest...

Very good post CH. Right on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Expunge

What about bringing in the Second Captains from the backwater of RTE2 TV for a daily radio show between 3-4.30 ??
    Eoin, Murph and Ken deserve a proper forum.
    BBC 5 live and Talk Sport UK (especially) host sports programmes all day, so we're not re-inventing the wheel here.

Nice idea , but not a chance, Bellerstring.

It's rumoured that RTE bosses had run out of staff willing to work on that show with Mooney.
    Something had to be done also to rescue Ryan Tubridy from his nightmare on 2FM, where the chap running it clearly doesn't want him.

The solution is added expense to the licence fee payers, as usual, to save face for all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Maybe they could return the slot to a music show à la Ronan Collins, but without the grumpiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Radio_Fan_67

Expunge wrote: »
    Something had to be done also to rescue Ryan Tubridy from his nightmare on 2FM, where the chap running it clearly doesn't want him

A few months ago Tubridy returning to Radio 1 seemed obvious but now his 2fm show is gaining listeners and it has also gotten a sponsor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

A few months ago Tubridy returning to Radio 1 seemed obvious but now his 2fm show is gaining listeners and it has also gotten a sponsor
    Only because he's nearest on the dial when getting away from that awful John Murray show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

padd b1975 wrote: »
    So who's going to replace him??
    How about this? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

serfboard wrote: »
    How about this? ;)

Or Mike Murphy winging his way through a discussion on the Abbey's latest production.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ray d'arcy replaces mooney

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

A future pension, I reckon.

Jesus, one idiot gets out and a bigger one gets in:mad:
    The changes to his radio show starting to make sense now.

I've never listened to D'Arcy, but he'll be a welcome change from the current incumbent.

Again, I wonder, where is O'Donohue going to show up.
    She is, I presume, an RTE staffer, so they'll have to get her a new gig.
    It's the not knowing that's scary......
    Also, D'Arcy is being mooted to take over the Saturday Night Show on TV.

• Advertisement

€500k to replace him,thank god I've paid my tv license fee. That should help them out a little bit.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Shame RTE couldn't tell the truth that we all suspect here. The presenter lost his objectivity and hadda go. I had tuned away a long time ago and felt better for it. D'Arcy may lure me back to that slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

So instead of topics such as Eurovision, Jedward etc on repeat, it'll be running, sugar being evil and his children on repeat.
    I won't be tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Its all a bit like a car crash.......with kids......and puppies......

Didnt think RTE afternoon radio could get worse....and then as per always.....RTE delivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

It's a very logical (and maybe smart) move this.

D'Arcy hosts the most popular non-RTE-Radio-1 show in Ireland. It also gives D'Arcy more regular access to television again and that must have been attractive to him. (Pat Kenny is getting back to telly via UTV).

Although his own show has been declining (down from a high of 243K to 221K today) who knows, a new producer and new co-hosts might help.

Personally I'll be interested to see how he's going to fare against Moncrieff who has been building up his audience steadily to well over the 100K mark now.

I'm almost sure I heard Mooney talking yesterday, of a new documentary he was making, about fantastic visual displays by thousands of starlings, where they fly as one body and create magnificent patterns in our evening skies.
    Sounds Faaaantastic.

'cept it's on the radio.

Getting his "Executive Director of Wildlife" off to a good start then.:rolleyes:

Another day, another segment on musical theatre. Let's hope that D'Arcy doesn't have the same love for musicals, Eurovision, Louis Walsh, Mardy Byrne, Mrs Brown's Boyiz, pantomime and Jedward..... or we'll be completely fecked for the next 20 years.

I'm almost sure I heard Mooney talking yesterday, of a new documentary he was making, about fantastic visual displays by thousands of starlings, where they fly as one body and create magnificent patterns in our evening skies.
    Sounds Faaaantastic.

'cept it's on the radio.

Getting his "Executive Director of Wildlife" off to a good start then.:rolleyes:

Derek is following in the footsteps of Take The Floor with Din Joe.

Another day, another segment on musical theatre. Let's hope that D'Arcy doesn't have the same love for musicals, Eurovision, Louis Walsh, Mardy Byrne, Mrs Brown's Boyiz, pantomime and Jedward..... or we'll be completely fecked for the next 20 years.

Hey Harry,Ya forgot Crystal Swing :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Just wondering why didnt somebody in RTE just have the balls to move D'Arcy in to Tubridy's slot... The housewives obviously love D'Arcy, so they could put him straight in to the 9-11... sorry 8.45am-11.00am slot and they would have a pretty good chance of taking D'Arcy's current audience with him....

Now instead they are trying him out at a different time, when possibly his regular listeners wont be able to hear him, in a new show which possibly wont have the "appeal" of his old show...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement