Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

stevenmu wrote: »
    That's a bit misdirected tbh, if the post above about CFWs is true then it's not hackers keeping people from the PSN, it's Sony themselves.

It's a bit of both but every time I hear about something like this with Sony I wonder who was missing from work the day that structures like this were suggested then decided upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

*blatant troll*

starts up new top of the line gaming pc
    plays Crysis 2 ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

On a lighter note, I was saying to myself Sony better give us something free to compensate us and then i remember PSN was free. Im less unhappy now than I was when XBL went down over Christmas a few years back!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The lack of communication is an absolute joke. If Sony came out and said such and such happened then it'd be grand.

All they're doing is shrugging their shoulders and saying (in an Abe's Odyssey type voice) "I dunno".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Skerries wrote: »
    *blatant troll*

starts up new top of the line gaming pc
    plays Crysis 2 ;)

Something about this post tells me that you're trolling. I can't quite put my finger on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Tallon wrote: »
    There's kids outside my house doing something strange, I've never seen it before...

They're playing outside :eek: and they're not even using a console :eek: :eek:

My girlfriend and I constantly make that joke. Sometimes we see them playing with a spherical object. They like to kick it to each other. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Wait and see. A new paid service will start up. (to cover ahem security)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

That_Guy wrote: »
    All they're doing is shrugging their shoulders and saying (in an Abe's Odyssey type voice) "I dunno".

Stop it!
    Follow me...
    Work!

^^ you read all of these in abes voice didnt you?

eco2live wrote: »
    Wait and see. A new paid service will start up. (to cover ahem security)

I wouldmt have a problem with this, say they charged 20 a year for the standard PSN, then PSN+ at 50 a year or something... You can be sure that the service would become better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Liamario wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I constantly make that joke. Sometimes we see them playing with a spherical object. They like to kick it to each other. :confused:
    GlaDOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Korvanica wrote: »
    I wouldmt have a problem with this, say they charged 20 a year for the standard PSN, then PSN+ at 50 a year or something... You can be sure that the service would become better..

It would also make an account ban more severe which i like but what about those that have more than one account.

Would it be the same as with PSN content, 5 activated PS3s per account allowed to get online or would each account need a sub.

If PSN+ came with it then i would be ok, but when there are more than 75m accounts and maybe 50m PS3s out there a lot of people would be stuck. Also for those that have a 360 and PS3 that more money going out for online.

Rather have a ea like pass for all games to support PSN rather than a additional cost to the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

stevenmu wrote: »
    That's a bit misdirected tbh, if the post above about CFWs is true then it's not hackers keeping people from the PSN, it's Sony themselves.

I don't understand that though. CFW's are not allowed though are they? They had nothing to do with Sony. They were created by a group and shared with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

Korvanica wrote: »

You may not have a problem but paying 20 euro a year for standard PSN is not something i will be shelling out my cash annually for. The playstation plus is fine if they want to charge people for that as there are some good perks involved. But paying for something that is already standard and has been free so far is definitely something i wouldn't pay for, ever. Especially with what has happened here and it getting hacked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I don't understand that though. CFW's are not allowed though are they? They had nothing to do with Sony. They were created by a group and shared with the public.
    That's right, they're not allowed. But the fact that they gained access doesn't inherently prevent legitimate users from gaining access. According to the post above Sony has deliberately shut down the network preventing legitimate users gaining access for the sole purpose of preventing illegitimate users with CFWs getting access. They're blocking good users just to be sure they also block the bad users.

Assuming the post is correct, they could have left the network up until they figured out how to block just the CFWs, or possibly even just shut down the dev network, letting legitimate users still access the services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thank god for my xbox . This shīt got way out of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This guy will sort them out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Im not too Pi$$ed about all this .....yet.

I will be if they have compromised CC details.

I will be more annoyed if they are taking my psn+ week or more that i am paying for, better be free for an extra week !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

so lads how much is a xbox?..what a joke playstation notwork-ing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,960 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

not sonys fault, but annoying at this stage. at least nice weather outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

2smiggy wrote: »
    not sonys fault, but annoying at this stage. at least nice weather outside

It is Sony's fault, for one thing the whole problem came from a system that would be open to abuse if the PS3 were ever hacked. Then it was hacked months ago and yet the hole wasn't filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Guy's!

I have it on good authority that reason it's down is because they are finally going to implement cross game chat!

That's right no more crappy writing to each other in between rounds of MAG.

Disclaimer.

May not come on good authority. Infact may not be true whatsoever, but it would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Knew it wouldn't be long until a Hitler video surfaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Services back "as soon as possible."

*sighs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

In the article;
    "These malicious actions have also had an impact on your ability to enjoy the services provided by PlayStation Network and Qriocity including online gaming and online access to music, movies, sports and TV shows. We have a clear path to have PlayStation Network and Qriocity systems back online, and expect to restore some services within a week"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

An update on the currant outage has just been posted here:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:
    We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
    Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
    Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,867 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Leeg17 wrote: »

what ****ing joke Sony

never again will I buy anything off psn again

Hopefully the Americans sue the *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I saw this on an American forum and thought it might be good for a thread. Specify a date and time that you feel will herald the return of PSN. Some expert was saying tomorrow but I think this is too soon. Winner gets heaps and heaps of .... glory.

My own: This Friday the 29th April @ 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Leeg17 wrote: »

Well send me out to sea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

It will be next tuesday or wednesday at the earliest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

In all fairness though lads, they probably have to say that CC details may have been taken for legal reasons. Chillax!

Advertisement